• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Honestly, I've given up caring about team comps in normal games. If they win their lane, I don't care what they chose. Granted, if they pick like that then they're probably not good enough to win their lane but ... still. That said, I hate two top. Whenever it happens, my partner in lane just pushes to tower and keeps the wave there the entire time. And it's always a goddamn Garen spintowin and being useless which brings my effectiveness down as a result.

I think that's why I want to play mid so bad right now. Nobody ever does two mid!
First game tonight will be two mid as punishment for this sentence

It's not so much the meta as it is what's effective and what's not. As long as the Malphite bot actually plays like support it's perfectly viable. Instead they were competing for CS the entire time and the opposing lulu/vayne "meta" team ended up with a very well fed vayne.

And on top the opposing top played it smart and just sat on tower getting solo xp while GP and I competed for CS. Their jungler wisely ignored top lane and just focused on making sure their bot lane won hard.

It's the meta because it's effective. Abnormal team comps can certainly work but they have to be played well. Bot lane would have been ok if they could shut down vayne/lulu but instead their jungler made sure they won handily so we ended up with an under utilized jungle and an underfed "carry". And their jungler ensured they secured all dragons.

If I could stand the extra time to get into a game, I'd do nothing but draft. At least you can counter pick and see what's coming. Plus people play a little more straight in draft.

I picked Malphite for jungle once, then a teammate switched champs at the last second and also switched to smite. He wouldn't give up the jungle so I went to support bot lane with full jungle masteries and smite.

We absolutely crushed that game. With constant Malphite Q harassment and the insane starting armor I had, we zoned them from level 1. Our AD was 4 levels ahead at one point. It was awesome.

Malphite can be a great support. I'm actually suprised he isn't picked more. His strength in initiation is there regardless and he's naturally tanky. His slow is ranged and effective. I think I'd rather him than Blitzcrank most times. At least he doesn't have a CS stealing AE.

scy

It's not so much the meta as it is what's effective and what's not.

Right. I agree with you on all that. I'm just saying that I've stopped letting it get to me when bad picks happen. I'll just deal with the hand I was dealt, maybe complain to someone if I'm on Skype or something, and then play. Keeps me from raging or getting angry about it. Which is a kind of sad, defeatist attitude to take towards them, I guess but oh well :(

What you say is exactly why I hate two top (or no support bot). Competing for CS, waves get pushed up and they get free farm near tower. People play poorly. Off-choices require better play to compensate and, sadly, most people make off-choices and then proceed to be bad at them.

Inskipp

Apparently Guardsman Bob had some fun while smurfing with Nasus.

x4sWl.jpg

He swapped his item build around like 4-5 times, ranging from DPS, tank, and somewhere in between. Only his core-build (mercs, Tri- force & Frozen Heart) remained intact.

zkylon

zkylewd
Malphite can be a great support. I'm actually suprised he isn't picked more. His strength in initiation is there regardless and he's naturally tanky. His slow is ranged and effective. I think I'd rather him than Blitzcrank most times. At least he doesn't have a CS stealing AE.
Yeah, I used to run Malph support before I had Sona and I love watching the big guy run all stumbly towards the enemy carry and support and see them run and cower in fear.

I give such pitiful performances with Graves and Ahri that I'm ashamed of myself. I just have a lot of trouble getting the idea that some champs aren't all burst damage lol. I'm so thick headed...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah, I used to run Malph support before I had Sona and I love watching the big guy run all stumbly towards the enemy carry and support and see them run and cower in fear.

I give such pitiful performances with Graves and Ahri that I'm ashamed of myself. I just have a lot of trouble getting the idea that some champs aren't all burst damage lol. I'm so thick headed...

You should watch me play Ahri. Or kiunch. lol.

garath

To buy Lee sin or not to buy Lee Sin. That is the question.....

Strong jungler and top lane. High skill cap. I don't play top very often but I have been more lately. usually Vlad or Riven. Hmmmmm..

zkylon

zkylewd
As a sad little Akali stuck on the hurting end of Lee Sin's kick, I'd say go for it :p

Also, is Riven hard to use? She's my next champ, if she's not skill based. After Ahri and Akali (and soon LeBlanc), I kinda want a couple easy champs to balance out my pain :p

scy

To buy Lee sin or not to buy Lee Sin. That is the question.....

Strong jungler and top lane. High skill cap. I don't play top very often but I have been more lately. usually Vlad or Riven. Hmmmmm..

I bought him now since he's on sale. Figure I'll want to learn him soon anyway so now seemed like a good time to pick him up.

As a sad little Akali stuck on the hurting end of Lee Sin's kick, I'd say go for it :p

Also, is Riven hard to use? She's my next champ, if she's not skill based. After Ahri and Akali (and soon LeBlanc), I kinda want a couple easy champs to balance my suffering :p

She's easy to pick up and is an all-round neutral pick for top lane (e.g., doesn't have too many hard counters in lane). There's some complexity to her but it's less about her kit itself and more about deciding what you should do. She's my favorite top lane right now :x

garath

Also, is Riven hard to use? She's my next champ, if she's not skill based. After Ahri and Akali (and soon LeBlanc), I kinda want a couple easy champs to balance out my pain :p

I bought Riven then proceeded to play like 8 games in a row with her. I think I won 6 out of 8. She's not complex to use but she has some nuances that will take some time to master. Not a bad way to go at all.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone ever mained a champion or two and then felt like they became worse and worse until they were almost totally incompetent at them? I played probably 100-150 riven games a month or two ago, but currently if I use the same sorts of masteries, items, etc. I used to do I seem to do absolutely horrible. The same is true half the time for katarina. I'm like 50+ losses more than wins so it seems like there's NO WAY my normal ELO should be high enough to encounter anyone skilled, so I really don't know what's going on aside from me just becoming worse.

Q8D3vil

Has anyone ever mained a champion or two and then felt like they became worse and worse until they were almost totally incompetent at them? I played probably 100-150 riven games a month or two ago, but currently if I use the same sorts of masteries, items, etc. I used to do I seem to do absolutely horrible. The same is true half the time for katarina. I'm like 50+ losses more than wins so it seems like there's NO WAY my normal ELO should be high enough to encounter anyone skilled, so I really don't know what's going on aside from me just becoming worse.

people learn how to counter characters with time, i rarely see anyone choose katarina these days because its so damn easy to counter her ultimate.

Blizzard

Banned
people learn how to counter characters with time, i rarely see anyone choose katarina these days because its so damn easy to counter her ultimate.
Sure, but katarina has been around forever so I doubt it's a case of a vast player-base behavior change learning to counter her.

And, it's not that I'm failing with my ultimate, I'm failing with everything (kat and otherwise), so it just seems like a general decline in skill, reflexes, etc.

XeroSauce

Riven is a great champion n that she is very fun to play while also being a strong pick with no natural hard counters. Unless you are facing a Poppy, someone with crazy armor, or a ranged champ, you will generally do very well in lane as Riven, and she can do very well late game also.

Her core build is almost always the same but situation dependent. She builds straight AD and resistances, focusing on AD, so Bloodthirster, Hexdrinker, Last Whisper, Guardian Angel is what I would call core. She can also do Heart of Gold into Randiuns, or the metagolem, but Riven is better with resistances then health, and if someone picks up an early Chain Vest, you NEED to get your BF Sword/BT in order to do damage again.

She is my favorite champion and she's really fun, so I'd definitely pick her up.

In terms of easiness..she's not hard to use per se, you can very easily pick up her skills. It's the intricate combos that seperate the good Riven players from the best ones, weaving in Q's and autos while keeping your passive down with autos and staying close to the target while shielding at the right time etc. Because she has no cooldowns there's no real downside to missing a stun or a shield, and since you get a passive proc out of it it technically can benefit you. So low-medium skill floor, high skill ceiling.

Wrekt

You started playing Kat and carried a couple games. That built your confidence and you got more aggressive which raised your elo by several hundred. You started playing some better players which can easily shut Kat down. Now that confidence is gone and you are back to playing too passive and running from fights you could have won.

lol jk i dunno. Upload a replay and I'm sure someone can provide some creative criticism.

zkylon

zkylewd
Alright, so Riven's my next goal then. I feel kinda demoralized by my last matches as Ahri, so you know, I want to buff up my confidence with a champ that's more a little more forgiving.

I stick a Sona match in between a bunch of losses because I know I'll do great as her like 90% of the times. We have the undefeateable combo of Draven-Sona on bot that surprisingly always works.

In terms of easiness..she's not hard to use per se, you can very easily pick up her skills. It's the intricate combos that seperate the good Riven players from the best ones, weaving in Q's and autos while keeping your passive down with autos and staying close to the target while shielding at the right time etc. Because she has no cooldowns there's no real downside to missing a stun or a shield, and since you get a passive proc out of it it technically can benefit you. So low-medium skill floor, high skill ceiling.
Yeah, I'm simply hoping for a champ that doesn't immediately die as soon as you make a mistake (like Ahri/Akali). And if possible, that she's hawt/monster :3

Blizzard

Banned
Huh? She has cooldowns on all her skills, like most everyone else. Unless you meant she has no mana, in which case yes.

Speaking of cooldowns I don't know that I ever tried cooldown boots on her, but I did used to really like early brutalizer for armor penetration and attack damage and cooldown reduction. I don't know if that's still a good plan rather than building doran's and waiting for bloodthirster (or wriggles?) as the first item though.

erragal

I'm such a mark for lunar-themed characters that I see myself insta-buying Diana and just playing her support even if she's completely unsuited for it. Maybe she'll be a viable jungler and give me someone besides Skarner to use there.

Achtius

2ndteemo.png

2nd teemo win. that poor riven.

We won by having Shaco split push while 4 of us keep harassing mid. since no one can actually catch shaco we eventually took down all their mid/outer turrets. Then we got baron and it's gg.

edit2 : I did my best juke ever in this game. Darius came and gank me, I ran to the bush, put a shroom, run across the bush closer to my turret, when riven came, i ran toward the other bush, and put another shroom, and then when riven came and hit the shroom, I ran. Darius apprehend me but I blind him and kept running and i almost killed Darius at the end :p

Achtius

I seen Kiunch with Trinity Force Leona, and I wouldn't want to fight against him :p

also anyone having fps problem in this game after patch? my fps went crazy during my rank game =_=;;

scy

@Diana - I hope she's tanky DPS rather than support :x I want more top lane!

Yeah, I'm simply hoping for a champ that doesn't immediately die as soon as you make a mistake (like Ahri/Akali). And if possible, that she's hawt/monster :3

Yeah, she's solid. I honestly think the fact that I've done so well in top lane is because of how solid Riven is. The most complex part of her kit is knowing how to weave in auto attacks after each skill use (e.g., E to approach, auto, W to stun, auto, Q for damage, auto, Q for damage, auto, Q for damage/knockaway, auto) or to know how much damage you can put out so you know what HP you can ultimate and get the kill off a quick exchange.

She trades very well and I think she teaches great fundamentals for laning as well.

Huh? She has cooldowns on all her skills, like most everyone else. Unless you meant she has no mana, in which case yes.

She has short cooldowns, though. But, yeah, probably meant no mana.

Speaking of cooldowns I don't know that I ever tried cooldown boots on her, but I did used to really like early brutalizer for armor penetration and attack damage and cooldown reduction. I don't know if that's still a good plan rather than building doran's and waiting for bloodthirster (or wriggles?) as the first item though.

I like Cooldown boots if I'm crushing my lane so hard that I don't even care to get Merc Treads for the rest of the lanes. So very rarely. I don't like an early Brutalizer but that's because I like double Doran's early into BF Sword. The gold just times out very well with how I play her.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
@Diana - I hope she's tanky DPS rather than support :x I want more top lane!

You got Darius and Jayce for top. The last new support we had was Lulu :>.

Riot pls

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"<new hero> is a tank and initiator, and here I play her as a jungler. The first item you should get is Wriggle's Lantern, followed by Triforce."

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Top lane is the hardest lane, one mistake your opponent will zone you out, denying minion and out leveling you for half an hour. Then you will be force to watch the super farmed top lane champion decimating your one by one and solo your nexus.

The worst of all it will be your own fault since top is a solo lane, jungler doesn't gang bot and mid often because of dragon control.

Achtius

Top lane is the hardest lane, one mistake your opponent will zone you out, denying minion and out leveling you for half an hour. Then you will be force to watch the super farmed top lane champion decimating your one by one and solo your nexus.

The worst of all it will be your own fault since top is a solo lane, jungler doesn't gang bot and mid often because of dragon control.

like how i bullied riven? :D

zkylon

zkylewd

I trust your judgement, but I seem to do ok with Malph top, so I'm not too scared about that :D

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
You got Darius and Jayce for top. The last new support we had was Lulu :>.

Riot pls

They can't think of more abilities for support champs to have.

Either that, or they think people don't like playing support. Obviously it's the flashy AD/AP Carries with uber utility that sell.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
They can't think of more abilities for support champs to have.

Either that, or they think people don't like playing support. Obviously it's the flashy AD/AP Carries with uber utility that sell.

I'm still mad that Leona is 6300 ip, she's the only support I don't have but I don't want to spend that much ip on role I can already play.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still mad that Leona is 6300 ip, she's the only support I don't have but I don't want to spend that much ip on role I can already play.

I'm still pissed that they're releasing every new champ at 6300 IP.

Me and a friend tried to figure out why they started this trend. I started playing recently, so I wasn't around in the "glory days" when prices ranged dramatically between champs (I just assumed costs were discounted occasionally and they all were originally 6300). I proposed initally that it was due to the IP reserves of the average playing increasing as they play more and earn more than they spend, but then we realized that those players would most likely be able to afford to buy every champ if they're released bi/tri-weekly anyway.

So, it probably just comes down to greed/trying to exploit new players, which is sad. I wish they could design a model that works more around selling skins/bonus stuff, rather than having to restrict new (or even players that have been playing for a while) to using a handful of champs and having pony up cash for the rest.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm still pissed that they're releasing every new champ at 6300 IP.

Me and a friend tried to figure out why they started this trend. I started playing recently, so I wasn't around in the "glory days" when prices ranged dramatically between champs (I just assumed costs were discounted occasionally and they all were originally 6300). I proposed initally that it was due to the IP reserves of the average playing increasing as they play more and earn more than they spend, but then we realized that those players would most likely be able to afford to buy every champ if they're released bi/tri-weekly anyway.

So, it probably just comes down to greed/trying to exploit new players, which is sad. I wish they could design a model that works more around selling skins/bonus stuff, rather than having to restrict new (or even players that have been playing for a while) to using a handful of champs and having pony up cash for the rest.

Because people can afford it. There's tons of players that have been playing a long time, so 6300 isn't nothing.

Ferrio

Banned

Er what? Jungler's priority usually is top, for the reasons you stated.

Oh crap, had a brain fart and double posted.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Because people can afford it. There's tons of players that have been playing a long time, so 6300 isn't nothing.

But since you can't give that currency away to newer players, all this trend does is fuck over the newer players, since, as we agree, veteran players are going to be able to afford the new champs right at release (unless they skip them soley because they don't like their move-set).

Ferrio

Banned
But since you can't give that currency away to newer players, all this trend does is fuck over the newer players, since, as we agree, veteran players are going to be able to afford the new champs right at release (unless they skip them soley because they don't like their move-set).

I joined the game right when they released their first 6300 champ (Leona right?). I've done fine, ya it sucks and you're behind the curve.... but 6300 for a champ isn't a lot of you place a good amount of time.

The only thing that pisses me off is the 6300 IP for rune pages... now that's bullshit.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I joined the game right when they released their first 6300 champ (Leona right?). I've done fine, ya it sucks and you're behind the curve.... but 6300 for a champ isn't a lot of you place a good amount of time.

The only thing that pisses me off is the 6300 IP for rune pages... now that's bullshit.

Not if I want to dip into the backcatalog. If I play 3 games a day and get my first win, I might get around 400 IP per day on average. 6 days a week, that only nets me enough to afford the newest champ if they continue to release them every 2-3 weeks.

zkylon

zkylewd

6300 is still a big number for champs unless you play the game a lot. You have to play about 60 matches to be able to buy one 6300 IP champion. With first win of the day it's somewhat alleviated but it's still a lot for just ONE champion. Rune pages are also expensive as fuck. Everything is ridiculously expensive, but I guess you can't fault them for taking advantage :/

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Er what? Jungler's priority usually is top, for the reasons you stated.

Oh crap, had a brain fart and double posted.

I meant to type "jungler don't usually gang top as often as bot and mid because of dragon control". Oh well.

I trust your judgement, but I seem to do ok with Malph top, so I'm not too scared about that :D

Just warning you, north is a scary neighborhood =p

Pancakes

Very back and forth game right here. Our Galio connected late so he was behind and fed Xin Zhao a great many kills. We were getting our butts kicked pretty hard Ezreal still managed to get enough kills for us to start winning late game teamfights. That and Alistar seemed to get caught quite often. Initally I was worried when they picked Shaco but then quickly realized that he was a rather poor jungler.

I also did Kiunch proud and sold my Chalice in order to get Frozen Heart quicker :3.

88aWY.png

XeroSauce

6300 is still a big number for champs unless you play the game a lot. You have to play about 60 matches to be able to buy one 6300 IP champion. With first win of the day it's somewhat alleviated but it's still a lot for just ONE champion. Rune pages are also expensive as fuck. Everything is ridiculously expensive, but I guess you can't fault them for taking advantage :/

They have to start reducing the prices soon. Dota 2 is going to see a massive amount of player reduction in LoL.

Generally you don't want to buy 6300 unless you want the champ really bad.

Ferrio

Banned
They have to start reducing the prices soon. Dota 2 is going to see a massive amount of player reduction in LoL.

Generally you don't want to buy 6300 unless you want the champ really bad.

I don't think LoL is going to have a reduction. They're doing good, really good. And the game differs enough that unlike HoN there's not much reason to jump ship unless you prefer one play style over the other.

I meant to type "jungler don't usually gang top as often as bot and mid because of dragon control". Oh well.

Jungler's rarely try to gank bot unless their wards have been cleared.

XeroSauce

Herp derp, I meant no mana/only downside is cooldowns. Thanks for catching that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom