• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome. I think I just hit four today.

How many games does it take to buy a character? I'll be purchasing a few soon, but I just didn't know if it was a huge grind to earn.

There are a lot of good, cheap champs.

There are biweekly sales, too, where you can get champs anywhere from 2-3 dollars.

Ken

I just realized that with Diana, you need to spend RP to get boobs.

I hope Riot does not continue with this trend in future champions. I will not stand for a ''pay2boobs'' future in gaming.

Boken

Banned
I just realized that with Diana, you need to spend RP to get boobs.

I hope Riot does not continue with this trend in future champions. I will not stand for a ''pay2boobs'' future in gaming.

I too noticed how much better the boobs were on her skin.

This shit is worse than paying for power. Boobs must be free dammit.

Boken

Banned
Riot have a little "Owned" tag over your account.

I was thinking the other day that LoL needs more monster/non-human champions. With boobs of course.

AcridMeat

Banned
Can't wait for Corgi to sell his main account and retire.

'Cause he'll need to hire someone to wash all those windows at his mansion. Just saying.

Q8D3vil

Any tips for runes, masteries, and skills?

same as the champion spotlight except mr blue
attack speed red
armor yellow
mr per lvl blue
ap quint

masteries 9/21/0 or 21/9/0 both seems good depend on if you want to become tanky ap or going the ap route.

Ken

BTW there seems to be a weird glitch where activating certain spells stops you from auto attacking minions.

Happened a lot with Nautilus E and just now Diana W. Maybe it's just lag but I think it happened to Rex too.

Ferga

I feel so bad that I auto muted the login screen as soon as I started playing. They put a lot of effort into these ...

I use to do that then I had to uninstall the client and heard the lunar event theme. Everything changed then.

Volimar

Listening to that Diana login screen. That's some good stuff.

It's......beautiful.

RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases\0.0.0.187\de ploy\assets\sounds\ambient\LoginScreenIntro.mp3

Sung by Saiyaka, an Associate Web/Graphic Designer at Riot. How awesome is that?

IsayFever

Well after a few games played as and with her, I like Diana.

She's solid all game and her post 6 ganks are pretty damn strong. Q into lane, R on top of opponent too stronk.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well after a few games played as and with her, I like Diana.

She's solid all game and her post 6 ganks are pretty damn strong. Q into lane, R on top of opponent too stronk.

I always thought of her as a better Fiora comboed in with Nautilus level CC. She also acts like Akali in ways.

Have people begun to ban her already or what's the status on her popularity?

I'd say that she's considered balanced. Not too strong but not overpowered from what I read.

garath

DIANA.

I think this is the first champ bundle I'm going to buy. I got close with Fiora, almost pulled the trigger on Zyra (but I see the inevitable nerf coming). Diana is it. I'm ready to buy the RP and get that boob bundle.

Watching TakashiX play her mid while I work. She looks like a ton of fun to play.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Had to leave my first game in nearly forever last night. Couldn't have come at a worse time because I was in a game with a pro player I like a lot and another 2k+ guy. It was all going well before I left though and the game didn't last too much longer, so somehow I get to return with a win. Still feel awful about it though.

scy

Had to leave my first game in nearly forever last night. Couldn't have come at a worse time because I was in a game with a pro player I like a lot and another 2k+ guy. It was all going well before I left though and the game didn't last too much longer, so somehow I get to return with a win. Still feel awful about it though.

I have one leave on my record that will plague me forever :(

Blizzard

Banned
There is just no downside to Zyra in her current state. She has CC. She has tons of range. She has really hard burst. She has sustained damage and zone control. She doesn't really have mana issues. It is absurd that she exists.
Did you play many Zyra games? I may be the worst player in the world (I am) and that is the reason I nearly always did terrible with Zyra, but to say she had no downside is absurd.

Kat and Ahri were already examples of champions with good mobility who can dodge and assassinate. I think I already mentioned them, and they are specifically called out as even better against Zyra now. Problems with Zyra can include:

1. She is slow with no blink or gap closer, and even slower after the nerf.

2. Combined with 1, she has no escape mechanism besides flash, attempting to snare a ganking champion, or hoping that the ult knockup will slow a champion long enough for them not to gap close, flash, stun, etc. to kill. Note that this is worse after the nerf(s) since enemies can more easily escape the ult.

3. Against manaless champions or heavy pushing champions that can easily kill most of a minion wave with 1 ability (Sion, Galio, Ahri, Morde may fall in this category), Zyra tends to need two abilities to clear a wave. Attempting to push quickly or defend such a push using two abilities means you are constantly losing 170+ mana, out of a total of 500-600 mana early. Doing that twice means you are in danger of not being able to use more than one ability due to being low on mana. Note that this is worse after the nerf since base damages have been lowered.

4. If Zyra does push a lane heavily, she becomes very vulnerable to ganks due to note 2 above. As I believe has been noted by a GAF poster before, ganking her repeatedly can be a good strategy to dominate her. Your only options if ganked are to try to snare/ult/flash to escape, or to fight and hope you can do enough damage to survive one of the ganking champions. Note that this is worse after the nerf since base damages have been lowered, and the ult is easier to escape. Seeds can be used to ward parts of the midlane bushes, but this leaves you vulnerable and with fewer damage and combo options due to no/fewer plants.

5. Unless the Zyra player is great at last hitting micromanagement, creating plants in range of enemy minions can lose lots of last hits (plant nearly kills a minion causing you to miss a last hit). I am not sure I have ever seen a Zyra outfarm a midlane opponent in the first 20-30 minutes of a game, though presumably this is because I have only watched the worst players in the world use her. Using more abilities can mitigate this, but as mentioned in note 3, mana reserves will suffer.

6. The snare is difficult to hit unless you get in range for burst mages to destroy you. Note that this is probably because I (and other Zyras) are the worst players in the world, and good players hit it all the time. I suspect that Zyra may only be overpowering if her snare hits most of the time.

7. My understanding is that her ratios are mediocre, aside from the ultimate. Riot suggests building glass cannon on her may be an option in the future, but I really do not see how she would be able to do enough damage that way compared to other burst/DPS casters, especially with reduced Q range and mana issues if she attempts to harass or combo often.

In short, I feel that a lot of people complain about her either without playing her and dominating consistently (thus helping prove their point), or without learning her weaknesses and how to counter them. In particular, if Zyra misses a snare or it is dodged, and/or if seeds have already been used, champions who can gap close and/or stun Zyra can do heavy damage to her without being snared or having additional plants put on them.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Well, the nerf is designed for players with good map awareness, and have ability to aim.

It is too bad we got caught in between :(

AP champ with no escape, at least in the crappy champion hell, ori, swain, tf, mord, lux... will keep her company.

Somax

I have one leave on my record that will plague me forever :(

Two for me.
The first: I reinstalled my OS, copied the LOL folder and thought (stupid me) that since the game started without reinstalling, it would work. Nope, just the launcher, horrible errors when a real game started, had to redownload and reinstall.
The second: video card exploded while playing. Shen started shooting polygons everywhere, it was horrible! :(

Never left for rage or something like that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Did you play many Zyra games? I may be the worst player in the world (I am) and that is the reason I nearly always did terrible with Zyra, but to say she had no downside is absurd.

Kat and Ahri were already examples of champions with good mobility who can dodge and assassinate. I think I already mentioned them, and they are specifically called out as even better against Zyra now. Problems with Zyra can include:

1. She is slow with no blink or gap closer, and even slower after the nerf.

2. Combined with 1, she has no escape mechanism besides flash, attempting to snare a ganking champion, or hoping that the ult knockup will slow a champion long enough for them not to gap close, flash, stun, etc. to kill. Note that this is worse after the nerf(s) since enemies can more easily escape the ult.

3. Against manaless champions or heavy pushing champions that can easily kill most of a minion wave with 1 ability (Sion, Galio, Ahri, Morde may fall in this category), Zyra tends to need two abilities to clear a wave. Attempting to push quickly or defend such a push using two abilities means you are constantly losing 170+ mana, out of a total of 500-600 mana early. Doing that twice means you are in danger of not being able to use more than one ability due to being low on mana. Note that this is worse after the nerf since base damages have been lowered.

4. If Zyra does push a lane heavily, she becomes very vulnerable to ganks due to note 2 above. As I believe has been noted by a GAF poster before, ganking her repeatedly can be a good strategy to dominate her. Your only options if ganked are to try to snare/ult/flash to escape, or to fight and hope you can do enough damage to survive one of the ganking champions. Note that this is worse after the nerf since base damages have been lowered, and the ult is easier to escape. Seeds can be used to ward parts of the midlane bushes, but this leaves you vulnerable and with fewer damage and combo options due to no/fewer plants.

5. Unless the Zyra player is great at last hitting micromanagement, creating plants in range of enemy minions can lose lots of last hits (plant nearly kills a minion causing you to miss a last hit). I am not sure I have ever seen a Zyra outfarm a midlane opponent in the first 20-30 minutes of a game, though presumably this is because I have only watched the worst players in the world use her. Using more abilities can mitigate this, but as mentioned in note 3, mana reserves will suffer.

6. The snare is difficult to hit unless you get in range for burst mages to destroy you. Note that this is probably because I (and other Zyras) are the worst players in the world, and good players hit it all the time. I suspect that Zyra may only be overpowering if her snare hits most of the time.

7. My understanding is that her ratios are mediocre, aside from the ultimate. Riot suggests building glass cannon on her may be an option in the future, but I really do not see how she would be able to do enough damage that way compared to other burst/DPS casters, especially with reduced Q range and mana issues if she attempts to harass or combo often.

In short, I feel that a lot of people complain about her either without playing her and dominating consistently (thus helping prove their point), or without learning her weaknesses and how to counter them. In particular, if Zyra misses a snare or it is dodged, and/or if seeds have already been used, champions who can gap close and/or stun Zyra can do heavy damage to her without being snared or having additional plants put on them.

Dude, I don't even think you understand midlane or how to interpret Zyra. Nearly, and almost all your sentiments are wrong entirely.

1 and 2.) So I guess any AP mid champ without any flash-related ability is pratically uselss and pointless. This is why we don't see champions like Vlad, Swain, Karthus, Kennen, Morgana, and etc, right? Cuz these are highly used in competitive play. Dude, any remote form of CC counts as an escape. Zyra has a perfectly fine escape. If you get caught in a gank, that happens. If you die because Zyra has "no escape" in a 1v1, that's you, not the champion. Also, her base movement being 300 is nothing. Look at Anivia. Also, she doesn't need a gap closer. She has one of the best snares in teh game. IT GOES THROUGH EVERYONE. How is that not good? Seriously, wtf? I'd rather have this than Ez's Arcane Shift most of the time.

3.) Okay... same problems that Ahri has, what's the problem? I haven't seen anyone else BUT YOU point out that she has mana problems. Everyone else has always plenty of mana and such. Which leads me in to #4. She doesn't always need to push. If you're pushing you better have a damn good reason such as denying enemy cs and such. Otherwise you're just prone to being ganked mid.

6.) Snare is easy to hit. It's super long and wide enough. If you don't think so then I have no idea what you're doing. I think Ahri's charm is harder to hit than her snare.

7.) Her ratios are compensated by the supplemental burst of her plants.

Even after the Zyra nerf, she's not trash. She might not be picked as often as there might be better champs. In all honesty, I think you should have a firmer grasp of how mid lane works and the champions that fit in that role because nearly everything you stated is wrong, incorrect, or screams of inexperience.

I found her to be very strong in the PBE, that's why I'm asking. Haven't tried her after the release (has she been released in EU?)

I could definitely be wrong. I haven't played her myself to formulate my own opinion. This is what I read though. However, I heard she clears jungle insanely fast.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, the nerf is designed for players with good map awareness, and have ability to aim.

It is too bad we got caught in between :(

AP champ with no escape, at least in the crappy champion hell, ori, swain, tf, mord, lux... will keep her company.
Maybe like Orianna, Riot will alternately nerf or buff one of her abilities randomly every 4 weeks.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Champions can be good and simply not click with your playstyle. You shouldn't feel bad about not being good at any one particular champion. I haven't played Zyra outside of the PBE because I don't find her to be very fun to play at the moment, and I don't see myself buying her.

Being slow is actually not something that crushes AP mids. With the shortest lane and ranged attacks they are less reliant on movespeed than anyone else.

As far as escapability goes, I don't really know how much more peel you can ask for than what Zyra has. She has plants that will slow. She has a delayed knock up to zone control. She has a multi-target snare. How do you think Annie players feel? What about Karthus? Or Veigar? Or Twisted Fate? My AP mid of choice is Morde or Xerath and you're complaining to me that you feel like you're in danger playing a champion with one of the longest ranges in the game.

The manaless champion stuff is just a bunch of bunk. It's possible this is a bad habit you've picked up by maining manaless champions in multiple lanes and forgetting how to manage a mana pool properly. Zyra is an excellent pusher, can freeze lanes with plants, and is able to spam pretty hard for a mage. It's also possible that you need to work on last hitting under the tower.

It's insulting as someone who plays Viktor sometimes that you're complaining about Zyra's snare being hard to aim. It has a good width to it, a fair travel speed, and no delay. The range on it is an incredible 1100. Xerath can't even stun at that range while rooted. To say a strong laner is "weak" to ganks is absurd. Every champion is weak to ganks, and it's the only way to deal with overpowered champions who can't be stood toe to toe with. If you think it's unfair that a good gank can come in and two people can kill you I don't know what to say.

These are some of the most drastic nerfs to any champion in one go. How can you possibly sit there and pretend like Zyra is weak or something. Zyra is constantly banned and has the highest win rate in the last month.

Veezy

que?
Go to the NeoGAF channel! Hows smite now? did it get any better?
Annie teaches the basics of playing an AP carry. Tristana, the basics of AD carry (and she's free!). Warwick/nunu, the basics of Jungling. Don't play ryze, he builds weird and requires smartcasting.

PS: Krater is pretty neat.

On Smite's pretty good. I enjoy it. The 3rd person view makes ganking pretty exciting. If you have 30 bucks, you can get the first 30 gods all at once (well, as they release the last few that is and the ones that are already out). It's worth coming back to, at least to try until the next patch.

Thanks for the help everybody! I'm starting to get the hang of it, i think.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish they reduced the area of her ult rather than its damage. It's the only champ I can think of that can easily stun an entire team (and tenacity doesn't help, I imagine)...

I dislike RoA on burst/damage mages.

I'd only build RoA on stuff like Anivia, Singed, or ARAM, but I'm terrible at AP mid so don't listen to me.
Yeah, I'm not too big a fan either, specially since the mana is a waste on Ahri. Now I'm thinking of Rylai's again...

So Abyss->Rylai's->Zhonya's/Rab? Uh...

Awesome. I think I just hit four today.

How many games does it take to buy a character? I'll be purchasing a few soon, but I just didn't know if it was a huge grind to earn.
A good amount. You get 100~ IP per match plus 300~ IP once a day for your first win, so it takes a while to get to those 6300 champs. Probably about 30 matches, if you don't play them all in the same day and you win a lot.

My suggestion is, stick to cheap champs until you find a 6300 champ you really like and have tried on free week/PBE. There are a ton of great 450-3150 IP champs.

scy

Two for me.
The first: I reinstalled my OS, copied the LOL folder and thought (stupid me) that since the game started without reinstalling, it would work. Nope, just the launcher, horrible errors when a real game started, had to redownload and reinstall.
The second: video card exploded while playing. Shen started shooting polygons everywhere, it was horrible! :(

Never left for rage or something like that.

My internet went out and took about two hours of on the phone with Suddenlink to get things squared away :|

Dude, I don't even think you understand midlane or how to interpret Zyra. Nearly, and almost all your sentiments are wrong entirely.

1 and 2.) So I guess any AP mid champ without any flash-related ability is pratically uselss and pointless. This is why we don't see champions like Vlad, Swain, Karthus, Kennen, Morgana, and etc, right? Cuz these are highly used in competitive play. Dude, any remote form of CC counts as an escape. Zyra has a perfectly fine escape. If you get caught in a gank, that happens. If you die because Zyra has "no escape" in a 1v1, that's you, not the champion. Also, her base movement being 300 is nothing. Look at Anivia. Also, she doesn't need a gap closer. She has one of the best snares in teh game. IT GOES THROUGH EVERYONE. How is that not good? Seriously, wtf? I'd rather have this than Ez's Arcane Shift most of the time.

Swain doesn't see much play at high-end. Karthus' accepted fault is his bad escape, though Lay Waste range lets him safely farm. Vlad and Kennen both have good escapes. Anivia has a 600 auto range and some of the best mid-lane zoning. Morgana is a pretty good comparison though with the same skillshot snare defense.

That said, the movement change isn't that big of a deal. Zyra has her problems with ganks but it's nothing out of the ordinary from many other champs. She has a defense tool that can let her escape.

6.) Snare is easy to hit. It's super long and wide enough. If you don't think so then I have no idea what you're doing. I think Ahri's charm is harder to hit than her snare.

It's also slower projectile speed than Ahri charm, I believe. It's pretty easy to dodge if they know what they're doing. Granted, this is the same for basically all skillshots in the game so it's basically who outplays who on landing it.

I think the bigger thing about her Snare is how much damage it leads to when it does hit.

7.) Her ratios are compensated by the supplemental burst of her plants.

Which also got nerfed, incidentally.

Even after the Zyra nerf, she's not trash. She might not be picked as often as there might be better champs. In all honesty, I think you should have a firmer grasp of how mid lane works and the champions that fit in that role because nearly everything you stated is wrong, incorrect, or screams of inexperience.

Zyra needed some toning down. I think the biggest "problem" with Zyra was how easy it is to be decent with her due to her kit. She's a complex champion on paper but silly easy to utilize to a decent potential. EWRQW or whatever variation just puts out a lot of damage and doesn't take much to pull off.

I'm not sure if any amount of numbers rebalancing can really change that.

How do you think Annie players feel? What about Karthus? Or Veigar? Or Twisted Fate? My AP mid of choice is Morde or Xerath and you're complaining to me that you feel like you're in danger playing a champion with one of the longest ranges in the game.

Karthus and TF have really safe ranges for mid harass and farm. TF has a stun. Annie has a stun. Veigar has a stun. Karthus escape options are pretty bad though.

I wish they reduced the area of her ult rather than its damage. It's the only champ I can think of that can easily stun an entire team (and tenacity doesn't help, I imagine)...

I don't get why the damage lands at cast rather than at knockup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom