• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q8D3vil

Just won a game where my friends trolled with xin zhao mid and a caithlyn bot. They had a gragas mid who got shut down so hard by my friend.

peope think they need to stick to the meta to win, its still the safest thing but its not required to win.
also, characters like xin and pantheon work really well in mid since they can counter alot of ap's with their gap closers.

Ferrio

Banned
peope think they need to stick to the meta to win, its still the safest thing but its not required to win.
also, characters like xin and pantheon work really well in mid since they can counter alot of ap's with their gap closers.

Yep lot of ads can't shut mid down. I had fiora beefed up to take on mid at one point, works surprisingly well.

Blizzard

Banned
Also, I've never bought Talon, but even after his nerfs he can absolutely crush some mages like Katarina or Cass mid. You may need to coordinate so that your team sends some AP mage top however, so you still have AP damage.

...and then if the other team is obnoxious, they will trade lanes so it's their top laner vs Talon, and then you switch lanes to match, and then it's a giant mess. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
One of the things I spent the first week or so of playing was getting myself to 180-200cs consistently for the 20m mark. I'm pretty hard on myself for things like this :x

forever tryhard etc
How do you actually do that? I'm pretty decent at last hitting on mid and I end up most 45m matches with 250 minions max...

Blizzard

Banned
How do you actually do that? I'm pretty decent at last hitting on mid and I end up most 45m matches with 250 minions max...
Constantly farming wolves, wraiths, every mid minion, the entire enemy jungle, and bot/top lanes for 20 minutes.

Or seriously, farming wraiths, all minions, maybe wolves and/or enemy wraiths. With some champion matchups I would say it is quite difficult to get every minion though. I would rather lose a minion or two than be dead and lose like 20 minions and half of my turret's HP.

scy

If you can get away with it, kill wraiths constantly for 4cs every 50 seconds (~80cs from spawn to 20m). 8cs if you can nab their wraiths pretty consistently as well though that's really risky and not worth it unless you're massively in control for the lane. Some champs do have this easier than others (Anivia, Orianna, Zyra, etc. can get this without technically even leaving lane) so keep that in mind; you can lose some time going for wraiths if you need to get closer to the camp for the kill so don't go for them if you'll lose some minions in lane.

Besides that ... dunno, last hit really well? I practiced against bots since they're dumbly aggressive which at least helped get a feel for when you can approach for a hit. Know your skill damage for when you can just burst a wave down to keep your lane from getting pushed back. Know when you can get away with just clearing a wave and not having the lane push.

Off-hand, 20 minutes in should be around ~220 minions total? Timing when you go back is pretty crucial for this. That's why you tend to want to back when you're pushed up into their tower. That way your minions are getting taken by tower shots and you have more time to run back to lane.

How easy it is also depends on the champ. Farming with TF is really easy; Ryze wave clears are awful. Jungler pressure can also cost you farm so benchmarks are nice but the most important one is just better than your opponent.

garath

If you can get away with it, kill wraiths constantly for 4cs every 50 seconds (~80cs from spawn to 20m). 8cs if you can nab their wraiths pretty consistently as well though that's really risky and not worth it unless you're massively in control for the lane. Some champs do have this easier than others (Anivia, Orianna, Zyra, etc. can get this without technically even leaving lane) so keep that in mind; you can lose some time going for wraiths if you need to get closer to the camp for the kill so don't go for them if you'll lose some minions in lane.

Besides that ... dunno, last hit really well? I practiced against bots since they're dumbly aggressive which at least helped get a feel for when you can approach for a hit. Know your skill damage for when you can just burst a wave down to keep your lane from getting pushed back. Know when you can get away with just clearing a wave and not having the lane push.

Off-hand, 20 minutes in should be around ~220 minions total? Timing when you go back is pretty crucial for this. That's why you tend to want to back when you're pushed up into their tower. That way your minions are getting taken by tower shots and you have more time to run back to lane.

How easy it is also depends on the champ. Farming with TF is really easy; Ryze wave clears are awful. Jungler pressure can also cost you farm so benchmarks are nice but the most important one is just better than your opponent.

It also depends how much you are getting harassed and ganked. If a jungler is camping your lane, unless you're morgana or some other real easy wave clear champ you are going to have a tough time keeping the CS up.

scy

It also depends how much you are getting harassed and ganked. If a jungler is camping your lane, unless you're morgana or some other real easy wave clear champ you are going to have a tough time keeping the CS up.

Yeah. But, that's also a good excuse to go get wraiths and wolves (and try to clear the lane before leaving if your champ can do that). Just small things of trying to get that extra farm as safely as you can, y'know? There's almost always room for improvement and that extra farm can really help you just take control of your lane.

Surprised they didn't release Fire Rengar as his first skin. Seems to be what they default to.

I like his default skin too much to care about others honestly.

scy

Speaking of Rengar, is he available yet? I want to try him out while listening to all the cries of nerf and OP. It'll be glorious.

garath

Speaking of Rengar, is he available yet? I want to try him out while listening to all the cries of nerf and OP. It'll be glorious.

You should instagib someone top lane at level 1. That'll be fun :p

I just hope it means people will stop banning Diana and I can start playing her again.

scy

You should instagib someone top lane at level 1. That'll be fun :p

I just hope it means people will stop banning Diana and I can start playing her again.

His Level 1 will be scary with the passive + Ignite + Emp Q burst. I'm not sure how scary everything after Level 1 will be compared to that, though. I mean, he's still good after 1 but that Level 1 is such a huge power gap.

I'm more curious about Jungling with him. Though, I'm not sure how effective his pre-6 ganks are for top lane compared to bot.

Q8D3vil

just bought battlecast chogath and played him top against ad sion (ap chogath). i outfarmed the hell out of him and my jungler helped me dive him with ultimate and i snowballed so hard from there.

my only problem with chogath is dying, losing stacks can set you so far behind in the game.

anyway, building him with cdr boots help a lot though and he have great that can counter some popular picks like yorick and darius.

zkylon

zkylewd

I think my biggest issue is not knowing when to return to base. I'm often forced to because I'm low health and I can't push my wave without taking too much risk, etc.

Also, Lux ain't Morgana :p

Totally agree with ya. Only problem is that unless you have a bunch of friends playing with you or unless you have some easy going teammates you can't experiment like that. Luckily we only had one non-party member in our group. She/he was confused at first wondering who our mid was but was ok with it. That won't always happen though. I wish it did though, draft would be so much better if people were willing to get out of the meta mindset so we could use good lane counters

Ferrio

Banned
What about champs that are not called ezreal? I mean, it's awesome for him, as he has 4 skillshots. But what about people without any? Or wih only 1?

I smartcast all my skills.... so... I don't know what your asking? How is it any different than ezreal?

EXGN

What about champs that are not called ezreal? I mean, it's awesome for him, as he has 4 skillshots. But what about people without any? Or wih only 1?

It's still additional clicking. For example, to RQWEQ with Ryze (all targeted skills) it would take nine clicks without smart casting and only five clicks with it. It's a matter of being able to get combos off in the fastest way possible.

Ferrio

Banned
It's still additional clicking. For example, to RQWEQ with Ryze (all targeted skills) it would take nine clicks without smart casting and only five clicks with it. It's a matter of being able to get combos off in the fastest way possible.

Yep people like Ryze, Cassopeia, and Leblanc are classic cases of where you should have smartcast.

mercviper

Only champion I don't like smartcasting with is Annie, since her W is just unreliable as fuck...

The only time I have trouble with that is trying to W over a wide wall like Baron's Pit where you have to get to the very edge to reach the other side, and smart casting there causes pathing problems (If I remember right, unlike other cone spells Annie's smartcasting W attempts to place her in position to cast where you click, as opposed to just the general direction based on where you stand like Cho's Silence). I think her W is very reliable and missing with it just means you aren't familiar with the range.

zkylon

zkylewd
The only time I have trouble with that is trying to W over a wide wall like Baron's Pit where you have to get to the very edge to reach the other side, and smart casting there causes pathing problems (If I remember right, unlike other cone spells Annie's smartcasting W attempts to place her in position to cast where you click, as opposed to just the general direction based on where you stand like Cho's Silence). I think her W is very reliable and missing with it just means you aren't familiar with the range.
No, I meant if for that very reason you just said. You press shift+w and Annie starts merrily prancing around wherever direction you had your cursor in, instead of just blasting the guy in front of her.

mercviper

No, I meant if for that very reason you just said. You press shift+w and Annie starts merrily prancing around wherever direction you had your cursor in, instead of just blasting the guy in front of her.

Ah, okay. Yeah that's understandable, and I guess I've just gotten used to it lol. It's still something wrong with her skill mechanically and deciding not to smart cast doesn't fix the flaw with the spell. Normal casting it still causes her to prance to said location to fire it off, but gives you a visual benefit of seeing where your cursor needs to be to go off instantly, so you still need to get in the habit of placing the cast next to Annie, and after that's done getting used to it by smart casting just makes it faster.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah, okay. Yeah that's understandable, and I guess I've just gotten used to it lol. It's still something wrong with her skill mechanically and deciding not to smart cast doesn't fix the flaw with the spell. Normal casting it still causes her to prance to said location to fire it off, but gives you a visual benefit of seeing where your cursor needs to be to go off instantly, so you still need to get in the habit of placing the cast next to Annie, and after that's done getting used to it by smart casting just makes it faster.
I just pretty much stopped playing Annie altogether because of it. It just screws up my combo so much I gave up. Also, Annie doesn't snowball as hard against level 30 guys as she does against the level 15s I used to destroy :p

Because I hate change.

Also, the patcher is acting weird. Is there a patch coming out?

Keeps telling me I have -15:-9, -11:-3, so on remaining.

Like, wtf. I don't know if I should stop it or not.

Blizzard

Banned
Because I hate change.

Also, the patcher is acting weird. Is there a patch coming out?

Keeps telling me I have -15:-9, -11:-3, so on remaining.

Like, wtf. I don't know if I should stop it or not.
You hate change? I thought from your posts you were just now starting to use smartcast, which would be a major change in itself. If anything, keeping smartcast range indicators makes it a mix between old style and new style. If you want to carefully lay out the range for a skill you just hold down the button and it goes off on release.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
If anything, keeping smartcast range indicators makes it a mix between old style and new style.

One thing bad about turning on smartcast range indicator, the spell is cast when you release the key, not when you press it. So there will be a slight delay when you turn that on, may not matter as much since LoL is not a fighting game.

Ferga

One thing bad about turning on smartcast range indicator, the spell is cast when you release the key, not when you press it. So there will be a slight delay when you turn that on, may not matter as much since LoL is not a fighting game.

I wish they let you put smart cast range indicators on certain skills and not all of them when you turn it on.

I really want it for some of my skillshots and ults

IronLich

Thanks to the people who brought Morgana to my attention. Not only was I a wonderful support for this killing spree of a Xin Zhao, but her W leads to sheer minion death, and I was leveling up in no time flat. The only issue is she can't activate her ultimate unless she's close to a champion, and I'm used to ultimates you can throw out whenever. While I'm worried of finding a sequence where I'm mashing R because I think I'm in range of something but not really, I have no problem teaching myself restraint on not blowing the ults when I will certainly need them later.

Ferga

Well the last patch completely screwed my game up.

Dced from the game then I get this undefined server thing when I try to reconnect again.

Ken

Thanks to the people who brought Morgana to my attention. Not only was I a wonderful support for this killing spree of a Xin Zhao, but her W leads to sheer minion death, and I was leveling up in no time flat. The only issue is she can't activate her ultimate unless she's close to a champion, and I'm used to ultimates you can throw out whenever. While I'm worried of finding a sequence where I'm mashing R because I think I'm in range of something but not really, I have no problem teaching myself restraint on not blowing the ults when I will certainly need them later.

I....don't see the issue with this. Did you want to ult minions or bushes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom