• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks to the people who brought Morgana to my attention. Not only was I a wonderful support for this killing spree of a Xin Zhao, but her W leads to sheer minion death, and I was leveling up in no time flat. The only issue is she can't activate her ultimate unless she's close to a champion, and I'm used to ultimates you can throw out whenever. While I'm worried of finding a sequence where I'm mashing R because I think I'm in range of something but not really, I have no problem teaching myself restraint on not blowing the ults when I will certainly need them later.
I gotta start playing Morg soon...she's one of the few mids I haven't tried yet and she's cheap as hell.

EXGN

OwykG.png

First game. I'm not saying she's OP, but she's OP.

Ken

I wonder how you managed to skip the quadra.

Morde just goes straight to penta.

Wow.

That would be even better.

I'm imagining a League of Legends anime where if you lose you die in real life. I wonder if the team chat would improve under those conditions.

no lol

Superjohnson: this will actually be my first game with him
Runeword: tf adc?
Runeword: are u serious?
MaRoXCoRe: ..
Runeword: first game with a champ
Runeword: and you go ranked
Runeword: wth
Runeword: you don't even know his spells
Superjohnson: pssh yea
Superjohnson: champ spotlight op

fff rankgar

I finally got to try Viktor, though it was on ARAM.

Is his laser borked? Sometimes, the laser visually doesn't even travel. In those occasions, sometimes the laser hits where I wanted it to hit, sometimes it doesn't.

Blizzard

Banned
One thing bad about turning on smartcast range indicator, the spell is cast when you release the key, not when you press it. So there will be a slight delay when you turn that on, may not matter as much since LoL is not a fighting game.
Yes, like I said, it's a mix. If your keys tend to stay stuck down for a long amount of time then it might make a difference, but having the ability to show range indicators might be worth it for some people.

Blizzard

Banned
I like this response:

I actually don't agree with anything you said.

A: They beat vast majority of possible lanes in the game.
That's not true. Irelia, Kayle, Kennen, Nunu, Udyr, Vladimir, Rumble, Shen, and Olaf are on par with Riven and Jax. These champions don't really have clear counterpicks. That's the characteristic of top lane laners. The point of picking these champions is to manage 1v1 well without requiring too much jungler help.

B: They do not have counterpicks that demolish them yet still remain useful.
Top lane matchup is practically skill based. Almost any matchup of two top laners I listed above is pretty even. They can farm well under pressure or lane very well, and they come out strong.

C: The character that "counters" them exhibits these same traits.
Like I have mentioned, any champion who can be played safely (as opposed to risk-packed mid and bot, where one mistake translates to death) is considered a good top laner. My list above exhibit the characteristics of what you call "counters." In the end, what matters to the top laner the most is the player's skills.

Finally, this is a point that you did not mention.
Riven's late game is a lot weaker than any of the other top laners. Her HP does not scale well, and it works against her to build tanky items considering her skillset. All of her skills scale on AD, and she doesn't have a long and reliable CC like Udyr (stun everyone in enemy team) or Olaf (slow enemy AD carry all day while tanking). Therefore, her ideal builds consists of bloodthirster(s) and perhaps a guardian angel. It leaves her a lot weaker than other top lane champions late game.

I suggest that...
you watch some high level top laners stream. My favorite streamers are wingsofdeath and Reapered - who just started streaming. You will be able to see them wreck or outscale players known to play Riven like goldfather, Cris, and Best Riven NA.

*edit* Ugh doublepost sorryyyyy D:

scy

I suggest that...
you watch some high level top laners stream. My favorite streamers are wingsofdeath and Reapered - who just started streaming. You will be able to see them wreck or outscale players known to play Riven like goldfather, Cris, and Best Riven NA.

To be fair, Wingsofdeath is known for his Riven. Probably the best Riven of those listed.

As far as Riven is concerned, she has a solid early game and can snowball well into mid game. She goes down in usefulness drastically late game, however, and she's pretty much just bad without good farm or kills. She needs items due to her scaling and missing out will really hurt her so early setbacks will really hurt her.

...which gets to the bigger problem, really (and the actual point the OP made). Top lane is a very decisive lane. Early leads tend to be all that matters for controlling the lane and shutting out the opponent entirely. That's really why the solid bruisers (Vlad, Kennen, Irelia, Riven, etc.) get chosen a lot: Unsafe picks lead to losing the lane hard so the first side to choose a top lane needs to pick one that is hard to counter. Since that champ is hard to counter, the proper counterpick typically doesn't exist outside of a purely skill matchup (or some 6:4 slight edge sort of thing like Jax v Riven).

This is why the Korean meta has shaped itself the way it has though. Top lane is more or less left to itself and bot/mid are fought for the hardest instead. Basically the opposite of the NA meta.

wingsofdeath was a very big rager back in solo-queue days before he went pro

we played a lot together and seeing him now in stream he is so much more mature

it's awesome playing with someone then seeing them go pro, really neat stuff

Ken

Should have lost this game because we were 3 to 19 in the first 20 minutes or so but then:

LegendaryFear: graves
LegendaryFear: when you whined like a baby
LegendaryFear: and afk'd
LegendaryFear: for two and a half mins
LegendaryFear: we lost a teamfight at dra
LegendaryFear: all died
LegendaryFear: and never recovered
Arketh Greeth: good
Kadota99: lee
LegendaryFear: dont play LoL
Skyche: thnx graves
Kadota99: u were caryings
LegendaryFear: if you're 5 years old
Arketh Greeth: you will remeber not to steal red
LegendaryFear: i didn't steal it
LegendaryFear: you fucking *****
LegendaryFear: im the fucking jungler
Kadota99: lmfao
Kadota99: BI GAISES
LegendaryFear: graves literally said im done
Kadota99: GG
LegendaryFear: and afk'd

Ferrio

Banned
So I joined a normal draft game. Everyone on my team was arguing over positions... so we decided on this

IlbK2.png

It didn't go half bad...

nZ3fN.png

I got a quadra kill at one point, and we might of won... but had some bad organization late game... people getting caught out by diana. Was fun as hell regardless.

Swig_

Is Rengar that bad? I have enough IP for a new champ, but none of the new ones have interested me. I was hoping he would be a nice change from what I've been playing (ADC, Support)..

I'm not seeing very much conversation about him anywhere.

Blizzard

Banned
From OMFG LOOKS LEBLANC OP to lol shit useless. This is why we don't judge shit off a video.
People (at least not me and some of the other posters) were judging from the initial PBE, watching live streamers, not videos. I didn't even watch the Rengar vs Lee Sin video.

Rengar was changed (or at least his item was changed to be less powerful) since the PBE.

Jayce is the best recent example of people whining in my opinion though. I don't remember for sure if lots of GAF people complained about him, but lots of people seemed to think he was this incredibly unstoppable force who did tons of damage (tm) with QE and always had enough mana. But then he turned out to be an interesting, reasonably balanced champion and the forums of the world magically went silent. He hasn't even been nerfed or buffed in patches that I recall.

scy

From OMFG LOOKS LEBLANC OP to lol shit useless. This is why we don't judge shit off a video.

I held the position that he had good damage but that was about it. The gap close is easy to play around and too many people are trying too hard to utilize it. I haven't seen many jungle Rengars but I'm not sure if he offers much there besides using his ult to gank ... which isn't enough to matter late game from a jungler, really.

He hasn't even been nerfed or buffed in patches that I recall.

He got a slight buff recently in removing the awkward swing delay on his Hammer R buff. Other than that, he's relatively balanced. He's a really strong harasser in lane though. Cannon E>Q can hit pretty hard and he disengages really well.

EXGN

Should be noted SaintVicious is probably talking about Rengar from a jungling perspective. He might be one of those characters that can jungle, but is a better top laner - like Jax or Riven. Looking at the Reddit thread, SV apparently said that Rengar is a champion that needs to snowball to be useful, which makes him an inconsistent competitive pick. Sounds like he might still be an alright pubstomper.

Haven't played as him yet, and the only Rengars I've seen have been jungling and haven't had much of an impact.

Edit: More Rengar feedback from Doooooooooooooooooom (the guy that popularized jungle Maokai):

I think he's overpowered top lane... max e first, free zero mana harass, when you hit 2 just melt their face with Q if you can get to them.
dunno why people are maxing Q first, it only adds 25 damage per rank plus a small amount of attack speed. Q is perfectly good as a 1 point wonder.
I think there are better junglers though, his clear is a bit slow.

scy

Should be noted SaintVicious is probably talking about Rengar from a jungling perspective. He might be one of those characters that can jungle, but is a better top laner - like Jax or Riven. Looking at the Reddit thread, SV apparently said that Rengar is a champion that needs to snowball to be useful, which makes him an inconsistent competitive pick. Sounds like he might still be an alright pubstomper.

Haven't played as him yet, and the only Rengars I've seen have been jungling and haven't had much of an impact.

I'd say he's even worse as a top laner. He has a scary Level 1 all-in but the leap is practically a non-issue. Baiting the Emp Q is easy for champs with a CC / good escape and his damage outside of Q > Emp Q is minimal. He has decent pursuit but his only escape is really Emp E. At least his Emp W lets him sustain in lane, I guess?

Edit: Well, I guess you can escape with his R since we had one do that last night on a gank. He does have impressive burst if he can land Emp Q > Q ... and then do nothing the rest of the team fight. I still think he'll be better jungling where he can at least gank lanes to build his item and you can GP5 into something to help you assassinate carries (and/or tanky items to go with his +60 Armor/MR W).

I think he's overpowered top lane... max e first, free zero mana harass, when you hit 2 just melt their face with Q if you can get to them.
dunno why people are maxing Q first, it only adds 25 damage per rank plus a small amount of attack speed. Q is perfectly good as a 1 point wonder.
I think there are better junglers though, his clear is a bit slow.

I was wondering how R>E>W|Q would go for him. That's the one thing I wanted to try for top lane before I decided I'd regret him as a purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom