• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
WHO ASKED YOU!?

rSYR3.gif

Not enough Bad-GAF.

Blizzard

Banned
Remember guys, taking a few days (or weeks) off from the game is the best way to not burn away in a fiery ball of rage. Then maybe you can have fun again when you come back! =D

Odrion

Banned
My guide for people who are beginning League of Legends who never played a MOBA.

1. No, don't practice with bot matches. Outside of the first two or so games where you may get a smurf, you'll be playing with people just as new as you. All bots do is teach you bad habits and keep you soft.

2. Don't spend any money on this account. You'll realize why later.

3. Get to level 30, hooray! Pat yourself on the back. You realize that for the past couple of levels you're playing with a lot of people who are soft in the head. Chances are, you ended up in ELO hell. Some say it doesn't exist, but it does. You may of been in this ELO because you had to learn how everything works, that's okay (you gotta walk before you run), but the game decides you're in an ELO with people who've played a thousand more games as you but are in the same hellish ELO as you. Really sucks if you spent money on several champions just to play them in games where a Shaco AFKs because a Brazilian Yi stole it and immediately died. And it's just as likely to happen to the other team so your enjoyment level between games shift from "I want to kill the whole world" to "I won, but it didn't feel like it." You can grit your teeth and try to fight your way out of it as Janna, or...

4. Make a smurf account, and stomp on a bunch of skulls for a couple games (while apologizing!) until it flags you as a smurf and sky rockets your elo.

5. Watch madness unfold for a few games as you end up fighting a menagerie of smurfs. Some are incredibly skilled, some are bad players who didn't realize the game has flagged them, etc. It's going to be like watching galaxies explode, but you start to notice that the more games you play, the more things balance out.

6. You are now smurfing at an ELO that puts you up with and against other smurfs that are actually around your skill level! You may see new things such as actual junglers, coordination, and impressive feats of teamwork! Holy crap, people aren't trolling or feeding. You can start spending money.

7. Hit level 30, look at how much higher your win:loss ratio is on your account is. Smile.

Rawk Hawk

Gonna try some support Yorick.

Running g/10 quints. Armor pen marks/mana regen seals/cd reductions glyphs with 8/1/21 masteries. Not sure if those are good, but it's the best I can do without spending all my ip ATM.
Yorick is pretty fun, but I generally run AD reds and Quints, his ghouls scale of it, and his shovel does pretty weak dmg so it helps with last hitting as well. My biggest problem with Yorick is every time I play him in blind solo queue, I ult our carry, he dies and then when he is revived for 10secs stands there and complains about the server lag.. urgh.

Steaks

Yorick is pretty fun, but I generally run AD reds and Quints, his ghouls scale of it, and his shovel does pretty weak dmg so it helps with last hitting as well. My biggest problem with Yorick is every time I play him in blind solo queue, I ult our carry, he dies and then when he is revived for 10secs stands there and complains about the server lag.. urgh.

Last hitting shouldn't matter when you play support Yorick :)

Ark

I've been pretty out of the loop for the last couple of months, just started playing LoL again lately, but I'm curious as to what LoL-GAF think of both Wukong and Ahri? I've been tempted to try one or the other out for a while now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I've been pretty out of the loop for the last couple of months, just started playing LoL again lately, but I'm curious as to what LoL-GAF think of both Wukong and Ahri? I've been tempted to try one or the other out for a while now.
Both are OP. Wukong is a little more situational though.

dimb

I'll wait for the patch then decide, I'm not bothered if their OP, they just look fun to play.
Riot hasn't said anything about any changes to either champ. Wukong is pretty under the radar, I don't think he'll see any changes for a good while. You don't really need to wait for the patch if you don't want to.

Ark

Riot hasn't said anything about any changes to either champ. Wukong is pretty under the radar, I don't think he'll see any changes for a good while. You don't really need to wait for the patch if you don't want to.

Well in that case I think I might just buy Ahri, cheers.

bjaelke

Ahri's almost certainly getting a small nerf next patch although Riot hasn't said anything about it. She's very strong right now and a top tier caster. Wukong is very good in lower-medium elo, but he seems to be countered in high elo matches.

http://i.imgur.com/PTuOi.jpg fantastic wallpaper

garath

My guide for people who are beginning League of Legends who never played a MOBA.

1. No, don't practice with bot matches. Outside of the first two or so games where you may get a smurf, you'll be playing with people just as new as you. All bots do is teach you bad habits and keep you soft.

3. Get to level 30, hooray! Pat yourself on the back. You realize that for the past couple of levels you're playing with a lot of people who are soft in the head. Chances are, you ended up in ELO hell. Some say it doesn't exist, but it does. You may of been in this ELO because you had to learn how everything works, that's okay (you gotta walk before you run), but the game decides you're in an ELO with people who've played a thousand more games as you but are in the same hellish ELO as you. Really sucks if you spent money on several champions just to play them in games where a Shaco AFKs because a Brazilian Yi stole it and immediately died. And it's just as likely to happen to the other team so your enjoyment level between games shift from "I want to kill the whole world" to "I won, but it didn't feel like it." You can grit your teeth and try to fight your way out of it as Janna, or...

4. Make a smurf account, and stomp on a bunch of skulls for a couple games (while apologizing!) until it flags you as a smurf and sky rockets your elo.

5. Watch madness unfold for a few games as you end up fighting a menagerie of smurfs. Some are incredibly skilled, some are bad players who didn't realize the game has flagged them, etc. It's going to be like watching galaxies explode, but you start to notice that the more games you play, the more things balance out.

6. You are now smurfing at an ELO that puts you up with and against other smurfs that are actually around your skill level! You may see new things such as actual junglers, coordination, and impressive feats of teamwork! Holy crap, people aren't trolling or feeding. You can start spending money.

7. Hit level 30, look at how much higher your win:loss ratio is on your account is. Smile.

I should have read this a month ago :)

dimb

Ahri's almost certainly getting a small nerf next patch although Riot hasn't said anything about it. She's very strong right now and a top tier caster. Wukong is very good in lower-medium elo, but he seems to be countered in high elo matches.

http://i.imgur.com/PTuOi.jpg fantastic wallpaper
What counters Wukong other than like a Malphite top?

Boken

Banned

Ahaha 3. assumes you get stuck in (normal games) ELO hell. If you really are "stuck" and it's impossible for you to get out of there, that means you belong there. Simple as that.

You could also hit level 30 and just do ranked - it offers an ELO reset every season. I don't see the benefits of having to play 150 more games all over again just to hit level 30 again. All that wasted IP too. Eurgh.

Ahaha 3. assumes you get stuck in (normal games) ELO hell. If you really are "stuck" and it's impossible for you to get out of there, that means you belong there. Simple as that.

You could also hit level 30 and just do ranked - it offers an ELO reset every season. I don't see the benefits of having to play 150 more games all over again just to hit level 30 again. All that wasted IP too. Eurgh.

bjaelke

Wukong uses Mana. Try Kennan or Rumble. Basically characters who can outlast him and force him to use his mana more. Sometimes its not about beating the other lane, rather just preventing that lane from becoming a problem.

You can add Vladimir to that group of mana-less champions that beat Wukong top lane. Tryndamere might be the exception though. Wukong takes a big dump on him.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So I heard LoLGAF has a good amount of unlikeable people, and in general, LoLGAF doesn't even play together.

Confirm or Deny.

dimb

Wukong uses Mana. Try Kennan or Rumble. Basically characters who can outlast him and force him to use his mana more. Sometimes its not about beating the other lane, rather just preventing that lane from becoming a problem.
Kennen and Rumble are good against almost everyone right now though.

y2dvd

So I heard LoLGAF has a good amount of unlikeable people, and in general, LoLGAF doesn't even play together.

Confirm or Deny.

I heard some gafers rage quit the other day. I've played with a few good sportsman players. We had to be patient because we were playing with a few nubs lol.

Odrion

Banned
It's always funny to see this sort of point of view. It's like some rich guy complaining about how poor people need to lift themselves up by their bootstraps.

Dragging yourself out of ELO hell is a painful, long experience. Oh cool, you managed to win six consecutive games. Enjoy being flagged for multiple losses and getting stuck with three people with the reputation for leaving. It's more chance than anything.

Boken

Banned

Confirm or Deny.

Deny. So you heard.

Dragging yourself out of ELO hell is a painful, long experience. Oh cool, you managed to win six consecutive games. Enjoy being flagged for multiple losses and getting stuck with three people with the reputation for leaving. It's more chance than it being your fault.

I don't think you know how the matchmaking system works. Or maybe you just believe in divine providence. But win streaks have nothing to do with the chance of future losses. Aha

Blizzard

Banned
Ya, that was the recipe for a late game nightmare. Tryn + Yi = eff my life. We made Vayne useless at least.
I ended up 13/3/12. We were actually melting vayne and akali, nearly melting trynd and finishing him off, and taric was just an annoyance. It was just so late by the time we started winning teamfights that we had too few turrets, I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
Result of 21-game boots-first silly non-scientific experiment with Riven:

Won 11, lost 10. However, I won 7/10 of those first 10 games, but lost 7/10 of the second 10 even with some decent scores (9/3/2 loss, 9/3/5 loss, 10/1/7 loss, 13/3/12 loss).

Over all 20 games, I averaged (rounded) 7 kills, 2 deaths, 6 assists. Not all games were solo top however. Some had 2 players on one or both sides.

My conclusion is that yes, boots first IS a good general choice for riven. In particular, I went up against a boots-first garen, and I think I would have had severe problems harassing and farming had I not gotten boots first. With the boots though, I was able to harass and farm, with just enough speed and Q's left to get out. I don't know if it will be viable in the future with the ki burst and health regen nerfs, but one key thing boots allows you to do is dash in, stun, and hop out or walk back. The hop range isn't very far, but if you get boots and a melee person against you doesn't, you may be able to avoid taking damage entirely.

The most recent game, I laned against a caitlyn top. They apparently didn't play caitlyn much, but they still called me OP and said they couldn't wait for a ki burst nerf. I guess I should take that as a compliment but it made me want to cry. ;_;

Confirm or Deny.

Bullshit. Some of us get ill-tempered, but that usually wears off before the next day. I will admit that I have been guilty of that yesterday, and I apologize.

I honestly can't think of more than, like, 2 people out of 40 or 50 that I've played with that I'm like "what a jerk", and even then they're back to normal the next time.

Also, LoL-GAF plays together every day... multiple teams and multiple times, to boot. Heck, in-house is becoming more and more common, which is why you are starting to see complaints about in-house setups.

It's always funny to see this sort of point of view. It's like some rich guy complaining about how poor people need to lift themselves up by their bootstraps.

Dragging yourself out of ELO hell is a painful, long experience. Oh cool, you managed to win six consecutive games. Enjoy being flagged for multiple losses and getting stuck with three people with the reputation for leaving. It's more chance than anything.

No doubt "elo hell" is a painful experience, but I am often reminded of many plat players being reset to 0 elo after a certain hack and playing all the way back up to plat -- Solo-q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom