• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
So yea. I give up with Leona. If I build her tank I need people I know on my team. If I build her ad.....she dies.
That's how tanks work in general. Some tanks can do damage, but Leona is probably one of the worst tanks at doing damage, I'd say. Nearly whole point of her is to stun people and hopefully help her damaging teammate to get the kill.

bjaelke

The problem with theoretical ELO is:
1) It assumes everyone has the same ELO. You gain/lose ELO based on your opponents ELO. In this example the ELO reward is fixed.
2) ELO is reset at the start of the season. The ELO rewards in the first games after a reset are artificially boosted. This is done to make an initial ladder distribution of the players. You might end up getting ~50 ELO in your first game after a reset, but now you can only hope for 14-15 ELO*

*Assuming you didn't duo queue.

Are the buffs/nerfs that are included in most patches that big of a deal, or is it just the community's perception of champions that influences how much each character is played? For example, is Akali really that bad now, or does no one play her because they perceive that she isn't good anymore? That's just one example, but it seems strange when you see a champ nerfed in a small way and then no one plays them. Same with FoTM champs. Are they actually better than they were last month, or is it just that more people are playing them now? WuKong comes to mind. He got buffed and people began to play him. But was the buff that significant, or was it just a mindset that "Hey, he got buffed. He must be good now"?

Blizzard

Banned
Are the buffs/nerfs that are included in most patches that big of a deal, or is it just the community's perception of champions that influences how much each character is played? For example, is Akali really that bad now, or does no one play her because they perceive that she isn't good anymore? That's just one example, but it seems strange when you see a champ nerfed in a small way and then no one plays them. Same with FoTM champs. Are they actually better than they were last month, or is it just that more people are playing them now? WuKong comes to mind. He got buffed and people began to play him. But was the buff that significant, or was it just a mindset that "Hey, he got buffed. He must be good now"?
I think it's a mixture. With some (maybe even most), the changes might be minor. You never seem to see Talon now, and I don't know if it's because the mana problems are really that terrible, or if people just don't like him as much.

On the other hand, take Morde for instance. For quite a while after his nerf, he seemed to be almost universally bad even when people still played him. Eve also used to be super strong, then got nerfed to become one of the worst characters (though tragically I've still lost to Eve team(s)).

bjaelke

Akali is fine. Don't reckon any champion was ruining by the last patch. People will cry on the forum if a champion gets a movespeed reduction. Vladimir was just buffed, but his passive did receive a small nerf. A lot of people on the forum were unable to see beyond this rather small nerf and recognize that he actually came out stronger.

FOTM champions are more about new approaches and techniques. If someone has success with a certain champion/playstyle and streams it to 10k viewers, then it'll catch on. AP Master YI comes to mind. He hasn't been touched in a long time, but suddenly people started playing him as an AP carry.

Ferrio

Banned
Akali is fine. Don't reckon any champion was ruining by the last patch. People will cry on the forum if a champion gets a movespeed reduction. Vladimir was just buffed, but his passive did receive a small nerf. A lot of people on the forum were unable to see beyond this rather small nerf and recognize that he actually came out stronger.

FOTM champions are more about new approaches and techniques. If someone has success with a certain champion/playstyle and streams it to 10k viewers, then it'll catch on. AP Master YI comes to mind. He hasn't been touched in a long time, but suddenly people started playing him as an AP carry.

Shyvana been getting a lot of play too, even people calling for nerfs. It's fucking crazy town.

EXGN

Just curious, but what does GAF think about the presumably AD champions that scale with AP? A lot of the early champions seemed to scale with AP, and this design "screw up" led to things like AP Sion, AP TF, AP Yi, AP WW, etc.

I think it's cool that different item builds can flip the role of the champion on its head, but it seems like Riot isn't making champions like this anymore - modern AD champs all seem to have skills that scale with AD for the most party. Characters like Graves seem really one dimensional to me.

Wish they would make more champions the other way around, I like the fact that they can be built different ways and for the most part, still be used effectively.

red13th

Just curious, but what does GAF think about the presumably AD champions that scale with AP? A lot of the early champions seemed to scale with AP, and this design "screw up" led to things like AP Sion, AP TF, AP Yi, AP WW, etc.

I think it's cool that different item builds can flip the role of the champion on its head, but it seems like Riot isn't making champions like this anymore - modern AD champs all seem to have skills that scale with AD for the most party. Characters like Graves seem really one dimensional to me.

Wish they would make more champions the other way around, I like the fact that they can be built different ways and for the most part, still be used effectively.

It's a major pet peeve of mine, heh. I don't like those legacy designs being kept but Riot says people like as it is them and it's not like if they changed the game would get much better. Can't really argue with that. It isn't disruptive by any means, but I think it's odd. Take Rammus for instance, who has a taunt that reduces Armor and a passive that gives him AD and all his damaging abilities deal magic damage, 2/3 of them with AP scaling. He's THAT cool.
lolz

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The biggest Nerf to Eve was the loss of her ability to stun. Anther things I think hurts her the fact she scales off AP (OK, she casts Ravage, then what? She will mash Q and Auto attack for 3 or 4 seconds, then most people will just walk away) If she scaled off AD, she would be able to auto attack effectively after breaking Shadow Walk, in my eyes she has a hard time soloing most Champs if they have full health.

Blizzard

Banned
The biggest Nerf to Eve was the loss of her ability to stun. Anther things I think hurts her the fact she scales off AP (OK, she casts Ravage, then what? She will mash Q and Auto attack for 3 or 4 seconds, then most people will just walk away) If she scaled off AD, she would be able to auto attack effectively after breaking Shadow Walk, in my eyes she has a hard time soloing most Champs if they have full health.
You're probably right about the stun (and invisible sunfire cape). If there was an invisible high-speed roaming assassin who COULD solo most full-health champions I'd say that was overpowered though. Presumably the idea is that an assassin shouldn't be able to solo a full health champion, but could kill one who is at low health or help a teammate nearby kill somebody.

And oh man, I have seen AP miss fortune and it is horrible. Like 400 minion kills and no champion damage horrible.

XeroSauce

You're probably right about the stun (and invisible sunfire cape). If there was an invisible high-speed roaming assassin who COULD solo most full-health champions I'd say that was overpowered though. Presumably the idea is that an assassin shouldn't be able to solo a full health champion, but could kill one who is at low health or help a teammate nearby kill somebody.

And oh man, I have seen AP miss fortune and it is horrible. Like 400 minion kills and no champion damage horrible.

Gotta Go Fast Boots, Lich Bane, Phantom Dancers, all day.

Ferga

Here's a demonstration of kiting blue in such a fashion that your jungler takes almost no damage.

http://youtu.be/uw8a7C-nHpU

Inspired by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VsMMduAHhI

Reddit Link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofleg...ue_kiting_inspired_by_dyruss_epic_red_kiting/

I use to get people to leash that way until the jungle got the changes. Plus if you get a strong jungler and get bot/top lane to put some damage in, you won't lose more than 100 health if you run armour yellows

Ferrio

Banned
I use to get people to leash that way until the jungle got the changes. Plus if you get a strong jungler and get bot/top lane to put some damage in, you won't lose more than 100 health if you run armour yellows

Unless you're sejuani, god I need to run tests on her. I swear she's made of styrofoam.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
culSI.jpg

i can't farm at all.

Shaco is an incredibly weak laning champion. If you have trouble farming normally then you compound it twofold when you lane with shaco.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Last hitting? What's that?
don't even start.
Warmogs shaco..... neat.

Holy shit those CS numbers are incredible.
thanks. but it wouldve went down hill late game. since shaco can't farm at all.

shaco is great if you wanna play mind games with people. send your clone in from one side of the lane then you poof in from the other.

Shaco is an incredibly weak laning champion. If you have trouble farming normally then you compound it twofold when you lane with shaco.
yea i am still experimenting with shaco. i haven't tried anything in terms of cool down yet. but i really want to.

MultiCore

yea i am still experimenting with shaco. i haven't tried anything in terms of cool down yet. but i really want to.

Not giving you a hard time so much as the rest of the match. I expected Shaco's CS to be low. (Not that I farm very well myself.)
Did they surrender, or did you guys get their nexus?

The thing about Shaco, is that once you hit 30, and/or play ranked, (you can duo queue at 20, provided you have 16 champions) he's either a jungler, or he's banned. :-/
So don't work too hard trying to make him into your favorite laner.

Best of luck to you, sir. :D

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Not giving you a hard time so much as the rest of the match. I expected Shaco's CS to be low. (Not that I farm very well myself.)
Did they surrender, or did you guys get their nexus?

The thing about Shaco, is that once you hit 30, and/or play ranked, (you can duo queue at 20, provided you have 16 champions) he's either a jungler, or he's banned. :-/

Best of luck to you, sir. :D

what. how. i am soo confused.

we got to their nexus, then they quit =/

MultiCore

He's a top ban in Draft mode. In Draft, each team can ban up to 3 champions. Shaco is almost always banned. You can try draft mode out, as it was added to normal play a few months ago.
All ranked matches are Draft.

Ferrio

Banned

Draft mode/Ranked Mode. 6 characters in all get banned before the match, and you can't pick a character that's already been picked (so no mirror matches).

He's a top ban in Draft mode. In Draft, each team can ban up to 3 champions. Shaco is almost always banned. You can try draft mode out, as it was added to normal play a few months ago.
All ranked matches are Draft.

You're not allowed to try draft mode until you have like 15 characters available or something. Might also have a summoner level limit.

MultiCore

You're not allowed to try draft mode until you have like 15 characters available or something. Might also have a summoner level limit.

:D

For unranked draft, it's just 16 champs. Note that this includes the free 10.

MultiCore

i am :sadface:

Sorry to ruin your fun there sir. There's still something to be said for being a good jungler with him, in the event the opposing team forgets to ban him. You're likely to get a queue dodger though, and have him subsequently banned.
That said, if all you ever play is normals, you don't have to worry about him being banned, just pidgeon-holed into being a jungler. Because really, it's all about sneaking up on a lane that's over-pushed, or having someone follow you back into some brush full of boxes. (Note: Boxes now have a 60 second cooldown. Not much time to set and spring your trap.)

If you see shaco not in a lane you should be scared for the first 20 mins.
Too true, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom