• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Nooooooo I hope you don't mean you're maxing minefield first

Also, I still play : D
Have you played Ziggs? I've been experimenting, and yes I tried maxing the minefield early/first (see the note above about 1000 damage to a single champion or whatever, though I was arguing that it's unlikely to work).

EXGN

His mines can deal 1000+ damage (not exaggerating) to a single target, his W is a multi-purpose disrupt/escape tool (perfect for essentially separating yourself from closing melee opponents), and his ult is an 0.9 ratio, 750- unit wide AoE nuke.

You're describing a lot of perfect scenarios there. That's like calling Nunu's ult OP because it CAN do a lot of damage when fully channeled.

Yes, the mines can do a ton of damage if the enemy hero runs in a circle and hits all 11. Yes, the ult does have a 0.9 ratio and 5500 range. But neither of those are guaranteed damage and in fact, anyone with a brain will be able to avoid a lot of mine patches and anyone with any sort of dash/MS buff can avoid the core hit of the ultimate.

Honestly, I don't think Ziggs is too OP or UP. It depends a lot on the utility of the team you're facing - if they are dumb enough to get baited into the mines and satchel, then you'll have a lot of success. If they stand back and last hit, it will be hard for Ziggs to win 1v1 without poking them to death and then ulting to finish.

I did play Ziggs as a solo top VS Irelia the other day and that was fun. She must have not played against a Ziggs before because she would jump to me, I'd throw mines down and run away, satchel in front of her to knock her back into the mines, then pound away with Q + autos. She couldn't get close to me without taking way more damage than she could deal.

But ya, I find he really peters out at the end, when his only truly usable skills are his Q and his ult. If you are getting close enough in team fights to E or R effectively, you're putting yourself in danger.

I've been playing Ziggs basically nonstop since he came out. I haven't been doing terrible, but not that great either, barring a few really good games. I always build him with two dorans rings, then getting morello's followed by ionian boots. Once I've hit that 39% CDR, I go for rabadons. His ults cooldown at level 3 with full CDR is awesome, and I found that I can perform really well in team fights when things go well. Also, the range on his bombs is great if you can master the timing on the bounces. I love him, even if he isn't quite top tier.

Repgnar

Anyone having trouble opening the LoL client? Trying to get on this morning and the LoL logo pops up and looks like it keeps refreshing. LoL doesn't show up in the task manager so I had to reset to get it to go away.

Hauk

Neo Member
Ziggs case is that he's the first of the "look here's my weak spot" type of heroes, just like Riot's designer said in a forum post when Ziggs was coming out. So until they come up with new heroes which don't have all the same kind of abilities like a shield or self heal etc. and do have a obvious weak spot (Ziggs' being weak cc and a hard to pull of escape) he's gonna feel different and risky to play. But yeah, bombs and risky come in the same package. That is the hunch I've got from seeing Ziggs gameplay.

Inskipp

Blizzard said:
I commented on this in detail on the previous page:
And I disagree with the majority of your points. You're basically describing how it's hard to land his skills, which cost a lot of mana and that he has no proper CC.

The first two point are negligible, as they boil down to your ability to aim and conserve mana, which are very basic things that should be factored in and controlled in the first place(which is not very hard to do with Ziggs). The last point.... Well, if you're looking for cc, then you're looking at the wrong champ. Ziggs is about poke and zone- control, not crowd- control initiation.
Blizzard said:
I've actually been leveling the minefield
You're not supposed to max it.
Blizzard said:
in THEORY it should be able to do a lot of damage, but that's if the enemy champion goes through it.
I've never seen anyone blow up all the mines, but I've seen plenty of AD- carries (and some mages), both by my hand and by other people, getting blown to shit just by touching half the mines. It chips off so much of their health that it just boils down to picking them off, which is really easy to do afterwards with them being slowed and all.

It also serves as a zoning tool, with which you can veer off chasers, or block escape routes. It has a very long casting range as well (900 units), so it's pretty easy to position correctly while remaining in a safe distance.

Blizzard said:
Kassadin, Xerath, Cass, Annie, Sion, Morgana, and Malzahar all have one or more silences/stuns if Ziggs wants to get in range to trade.
Ziggs outranges all of these characters (Except Xerath), and he is more than capable of trading with all of them in the lane.

Only one that might pose a real threat is Kassadin, due to his inherent design. But before 6, he's free game to Ziggs.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The single biggest issue in my opinion is the lack of a stun or silence. Compared to his slow and knockaway, Kassadin, Xerath, Cass, Annie, Sion, Morgana, and Malzahar all have one or more silences/stuns if Ziggs wants to get in range to trade. I don't see any good options besides trying to poke (which means you'll need heavy heavy mana regen/blue), hope your lane isn't pushed too quickly for you to farm (unless you use abilities, which means you need mana regen/blue), and trying to zone (remember each minefield will also run you a nice 100 mana or so) so the enemy mid doesn't just stun and nuke you.
Ziggs is supposed to be a poke champion. He is one of the longest range champs in the game.

dimb

The new meta is for champs to have an easily defined strength and weakness. For Ziggs it's his lack of reliable CC.
There's not much new about champions without CC. As long as the rest of the team accommodates for it this isn't much of a weakness either.

2th

Banned
Since this hasnt been said in this thread... ANYONE WHO IS LEVEL 30 AND RUNS CLARITY OUTSIDE OF AN ARAM/ARAB IS BAD! LEARN TO MANAGE YOUR MANA!

That is all.

Blizzard

Banned
And I disagree with the majority of your points. You're basically describing how it's hard to land his skills, which cost a lot of mana and that he has no proper CC.

The first two point are negligible, as they boil down to your ability to aim and conserve mana, which are very basic things that should be factored in and controlled in the first place(which is not very hard to do with Ziggs). The last point.... Well, if you're looking for cc, then you're looking at the wrong champ. Ziggs is about poke and zone- control, not crowd- control initiation.
And what I'm suggesting is that if you poke often, you will be burning crazy mana (especially with 70-100 mana Q), and may have difficulty farming. What I'm also suggesting is that if someone can get in range to use a stun or silence, Ziggs can't do anything besides walk backwards, which means you should eat full spell combos from several of the champions I mentioned. I'm suggesting it's a matchup issue. Maybe it's possible to poke with Q, have enough spellvamp to heal yourself (or stay so far back you don't take damage), kill minions fast enough that they don't damage your tower, and do all of this fast enough that the opposite AP mid doesn't heal it back or outfarm you. I just don't see that being feasible for most of the common powerful AP mids. If you have specific rune/mastery/item/strategy suggestions for accomplishing this, by all means share them.

You're not supposed to max it.

I've never seen anyone blow up all the mines, but I've seen plenty of AD- carries (and some mages), both by my hand and by other people, getting blown to shit just by touching half the mines. It chips off so much of their health that it just boils down to picking them off, which is really easy to do afterwards with them being slowed and all.
Why are you fighting AD carries mid? Or are you going to another lane? If you're in another lane we need to clarify that, since that certainly changes the discussion. "blown to shit" is not a numerical value either. I did some quick calculations, and if you manage to get 300 AP by early game, keep the minefield at level 3 (which is maybe higher than you are suggesting), and the enemy hits six of your mines, I think it's 500-700 damage before reduction? That's still a lot of conditions, and I seriously want to know how you are getting people to run over 5 mines in a row. Even if you drop the field on top of someone they should only hit the middle and outer edge, right?

Ziggs outranges all of these characters (Except Xerath), and he is more than capable of trading with all of them in the lane.

Only one that might pose a real threat is Kassadin, due to his inherent design. But before 6, he's free game to Ziggs.
How can Ziggs trade with someone if he's silenced or stunned, given the 6 or so AP mid champions I just mentioned that have that capability? Are you suggesting he needs to attack quickly before the silence/stun happens for trading, or just that it's possible to avoid it in most cases (which wouldn't make it a trade)?

Volimar

Poke comps still exist and are quite powerful.

Indeed, I saw it in recent matches. I'm just saying what Morello said.

There's not much new about champions without CC. As long as the rest of the team accommodates for it this isn't much of a weakness either.

As long as they've got the strength to offset it. I'll be interested to see where Ziggs lands once Riot is done with his birthing pain tinkering.

Blizzard

Banned
As long as they've got the strength to offset it. I'll be interested to see where Ziggs lands once Riot is done with his birthing pain tinkering.
I think I agree with this. If there's a way to do enough damage without getting instakilled (Annie/LeBlanc/Malz/Kassadin combo), then he could work by carefully last-hitting and shooting Q with mana regen items.

Inskipp

Blizzard said:
And what I'm suggesting is that if you poke often, you will be burning crazy mana
And if you hit with all that poke, you will do crazy damage. So make it count.

Blizzard said:
Why are you fighting AD carries mid?
Where did I say I was fighting them mid? I was referring to skirmish- combat

Blizzard said:
I did some quick calculations, and if you manage to get 300 AP by early game, keep the minefield at level 3 (which is maybe higher than you are suggesting), and the enemy hits six of your mines, I think it's 500-700 damage before reduction? That's still a lot of conditions, and I seriously want to know how you are getting people to run over 5 mines in a row. Even if you drop the field on top of someone they should only hit the middle and outer edge, right?
Again you're going off with the notion that it's hard to land his skills.

Also, you're describing as if his mines are there for raw damage. I personally don't care if I hit with all of his mines, or just two of them. Even one is enough to apply the slow effect, which pretty much guarantees my hits with the following Q- spam. Which again does plenty of damage on its own.
Blizzard said:
How can Ziggs trade with someone if he's silenced or stunned
By not walking into their range? Like Dance said, Ziggs has one of the longest ranges in the game.

You seem to be rotating these very simple concepts or unfinished thoughts in your descriptions. Unless you can provide me a replay of your gameplay with Ziggs, I am not interested in continuing this discussion.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ziggs is definitely in an awkward spot. His kit is odd enough that he's very unique which should make him automatically desirable, however, his stats are weird. His Q and his passive are extremely strong which essentially means that pre-level 6 he becomes a strong counter to almost any AP mid, with a few exceptions. All of his other skills are fine. If anything, they need to lower the scaling on his Q and the damage from his passive early game.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
If you could remove one champion from the game, who would you remove?
I think Caitlyn and Miss Fortune aren't different enough in terms of art so one of them.

Ashe and Vayne are different enough from both of them, but 'pirate hunter' and 'sheriff' are kind of generic.

Blizzard

Banned
And if you hit with all that poke, you will do crazy damage. So make it count.
"crazy damage" means 20-40 more damage than Xerath's Q if I'm reading the wiki correctly, and Xerath's hits everything in the line. I'm kinda busy and haven't taken the time yet to compare AP mid Q DPS so I'll concede that maybe you're correct on this. It looks like it should be perhaps 450 damage by the early teen levels depending on magic resist.

Inskipp said:
Where did I say I was fighting them mid? I was referring to skirmish- combat
The vast majority of my analysis was based off of playing Ziggs as AP mid versus other common AP mid champions. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. =/ I tried to make it clear that I was suggesting the matchups could be unfavorable. You could of course argue he works well in another lane.

Inskipp said:
Again you're going off with the notion that it's hard to land his skills.
How? The section you quoted is in relation to one specific skill, the minefield. What other skills did I mention in that section?

Inskipp said:
Also, you're describing as if his mines are there for raw damage. I personally don't care if I hit with all of his mines, or just two of them. Even one is enough to apply the slow effect, which pretty much guarantees my hits with the following Q- spam. Which again does plenty of damage on its own.
The reason I mentioned the mines for damage is because you said "His mines can deal 1000+ damage (not exaggerating) to a single target", something both I and EXGN responded to.

Inskipp said:
By not walking into their range? Like Dance said, Ziggs has one of the longest ranges in the game.
I agree that playing poke style could be feasible as long as the enemy champion can't absorb/shield/heal, or push the lane too quickly, or stay out of range themselves. I would need to experiment more with Q specifically.

Inskipp said:
You seem to be rotating these very simple concepts or unfinished thoughts in your descriptions. Unless you can provide me a replay of your gameplay with Ziggs, I am not interested in continuing this discussion.
There's no need to be rude about it. You brought up the misleading ult information (it does less damage in the middle which you did not mention), you were talking about heavy minefield damage (which both I and EXGN responded to) only to followup by saying you didn't care about minefield damage, and you seem to be talking about skirmishing rather than AP mid matchups. I took a good bit of time to look up numbers and run calculations for AP mids, and your response phrasing of "blown to shit" didn't really lend itself to numerical comparisons and arguments. :p

So I'm getting kind of weird mixed messages about what exactly you're discussing -- AP mid matchup feasibility, or skirmishes, or poking with a lane partner, or what.

If you'd rather not discuss it that's fine. I welcome general playstyle suggestions and numerical comparisons, and I agree with Volimar that I want to see where he ends up once Riot finishes experimenting. My personal theory is that he will be subpar, especially if nerfed, but I'd be happy to be wrong. I think several other people in this thread who have played Ziggs have mentioned that he's either fun or "meh" but ultimately probably not as good as other AP mid options.

Ketch

Thanks for the noob tips everyone. I'm probably going to try to main one of the two free heroes from the OP to start. Alistar looks cool. I think I'll probably be more into a melee or AOE type character.

The trouble I was having before was all the targeted attacks while also keeping my ranged guy away from people.

I'm going to join the GAF chat room and probably just play a bunch vs the bots like suggested.

My biggest question is with all the heroes how do you pick one?

Edit: So it looks like the free champions from the OP are just skins? That doesn't sound nearly as good.

MultiCore

Thanks for the noob tips everyone. I'm probably going to try to main one of the two free heroes from the OP to start. Alistar looks cool. I think I'll probably be more into a melee or AOE type character.

The trouble I was having before was all the targeted attacks while also keeping my ranged guy away from people.

I'm going to join the GAF chat room and probably just play a bunch vs the bots like suggested.

My biggest question is with all the heroes how do you pick one?

Edit: So it looks like the free champions from the OP are just skins? That doesn't sound nearly as good.

Trist and Alistar are unlocked if you don't already have them when you Like or Subcribe on FB or YT.

Inskipp

EasyTGT said:
I think I'll probably be more into a melee or AOE type character.
Mordekaiser fits that description. AoE- centric melee caster. Pretty cheap too, only 3k IP.

EasyTGT said:
You unlock the champs along the skins.

Ketch

Happy to hear that they are more then just free skins.

So while waiting for the updates I decided to read up on general roles/strategies. I think I will start out playing Alistar as support -- I'll be able to play melee without having to worry about last hits or a specific build AND I can hang out with a carry who hopefully knows what they are doing so I can see how to play.

From this weeks free champs, Wukong and Maokai are the most interesting to me.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Happy to hear that they are more then just free skins.

So while waiting for the updates I decided to read up on general roles/strategies. I think I will start out playing Alistar as support -- I'll be able to play melee without having to worry about last hits or a specific build AND I can hang out with a carry who hopefully knows what they are doing so I can see how to play.

From this weeks free champs, Wukong and Maokai are the most interesting to me.
Alistar is awesome. If you're playing support. Take Pulverize at level 1, then take Roar if your carry is low at 2 (if not, take headbutt) and max out your E first.

You can literally spam the first couple levels of E on cooldown with a Dorans Ring without losing any mana. Also: Learn to headbutt/pulverize combo.

As for how we pick our champions?

I found the champs I like just through experimentation. For example, I love Maokai but would never have tried him out due to his art. He's an excellent tank, though, and I'm glad I did.

On the other hand, I thought playing Akali would be easy and fun, but I did terribly with her. I might try her again at some point, but for now...

Mxrz

I wish I was better at mid. I'd buy Cass and play her all the time. I mostly picked champs based on their appearance. The freakier the better. Once I started buying runes that had stop in favor of buying champs I'd use and not be horrible with.

dimb

Messed up my first jungle Maokai pretty bad by not paying attention to where his saplings were and putting my level one point into Q.

Carried hard from the jungle, 0/0/0, won at 20 minutes.

JesseZao

Speaking of jungle, I need to just buckle down and learn Lee Sin and Shyvana. Sure LS was nerfed, but I need more options (since I'm obsessed with J4 atm). I used to just play GP and I really do love his ability to impact every lane, but I was getting tired of him as I did Fiddlesticks before him.

For J4 jungle I've been starting out Pendant and going Philo/HoG/Merc Treads. From there it varies. If towers are still up, I'll probably get a Wriggle's and start roaming between clears, otherwise I'll go for a Frozen Mallet or Trinity depending on if I need to build tank or more dps. Then I balance MR/Armor to the enemy damage or build AD DPS.

I like that he is versatile, but I'm debating whether or not I should just start Wriggle's and forego GP5 items when jungling. (For top I'd prob keep the GP5) Also, I can't decide if I like going 21 in Offense or Defense. In general I like Offense more since I need to be a threat for them to care about getting stuck in my ult, but if I have enough team dps then just trapping and slowing them for my team works too. Anyone play J4 and have any tips?

Wrekt

As a player, I would get rid of Udyr. I don't like playing as him and I hate playing against him.

From a balance standpoint, I'd get rid of Ahri. Between the triple dashes and the ranged taunt, her kit is just way too strong.

As someone that likes watching pro matches, I'd get rid of Sona. Maybe it's just the result of a lack of traditional supports, but she is picked almost every game and I'm just sick of seeing her.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If you could remove one champion from the game, who would you remove?

Probably Sona or Soraka... it also would fuck with the meta a bit not having one of those two in the game... and an extra ban slot...

Beyond those two which seem obvious I'd say Rammus.

ElectraStar

Ahri, graves, fizz. All Tanky run away pussies.

HE SAID ONE YO!
But I agreed about Ahri. She's hard to counter in mid right now.

Also, in case you guys didn't see it the first time,

J Rizzle and I are gonna tear it up with NYC-GAF on the 18th. So if you're in the area and want time away from the computer, join us!!

Ketch

So I played a couple custom bot games with Alistar. I think I got a pretty good idea of how to play him and what items to get. I almost have enough IP for another cheap champion, but I'm not sure who to get with it.

I have the two free ones from the OP Alistar and Tristan or whatever her name is. I was thinking Ashe because she seems cool and easy to play, but if she fills the same roll as Trist then maybe I should go with something else...

Also, thanks to everyone in the chat who was giving me pro tips. I'm gonna probably start Coop vs bots tomorrow.

XeroSauce

Very interesting answers. I'm still surprised Ahri gets hate because I feel like it's out of nowhere, but that's been discussed before.

Also surprised that Sona is disliked. She IS a faceroll champion but if you remove her and Soraka, who else do you have that can support like they do?

sonas problem is that she is just superior to all the other supports. Need poke? sona. Sustain? Sona. AOE CC? Sona.

Soraka promotes a passive game which is what riot DOESNT want.

Ahri is just really frustrating cause she has 3 dashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom