• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT6| My AP Mid Can't Be This Cute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
Why is it so hard to get my teammates to try and make a comeback in a game..

People don't realize that if youre behind, we can just farm and let them make mistakes since most other teams will get lazy once they get a lead. Worst case, we defend til everyone is close to full build and work from there. Most times in solo queue the other team can't close anyways.

In lower ELO (ie gold and below) this is super common. The throws are real.

Tizoc

Got killed 15 times ugh, this Nasus I was with was so useless HE DIDN'T EVEN FARM HIS Q.
I feel Voli works best at bot for some reason.

Einbroch

Banned
It's worse in plat than it is in gold. Like honestly, I think plat is worse than silver.

I wouldn't know.

attachment.php

Authority

Banned
That's a good attitude. Learning and working on personal growth should be your number 1 goal in every match. Blaming the crazy teammates leads nowhere (though it's understandable to vent a little every now and again lol).

Silver is way different than Broze so there is less rage and flame in general. Had a match of Rene (me) vs Darius. It went decent but still need more practice will Renekton. I should have rushed for Randuin with Ninja boots and then Sunfire followed by thormail considering they had adc + Rengar Jungler. Still learning.

We won the match but still.

Soon promo from Silver 5 to Silver 4. Had one game where I was completely fucking around as Renekton. I was against Chogath. And I forgot to get last whisper against him (had great farm) so I did terrible with Lane; and I kept asking my self what the hell am I forgetting against him.

Really bad game from me + items choices. I need more practice vs Cho.
Next time you lane against Cho'gath: if his level 1 skill is Rupture, you can safely conclude that he has no idea what he's doing. A Cho building Rod of Ages is another telltale "oh he's inexperienced" sign.

It's worse in plat than it is in gold. Like honestly, I think plat is worse than silver.
I often hear how Platinum is basically Silver 2

A bunch of Diamond wannabes that don't actually play at a Diamond level but think they do.

Next time you lane against Cho'gath: if his level 1 skill is Rupture, you can safely conclude that he has no idea what he's doing. A Cho building Rod of Ages is another telltale "oh he's inexperienced" sign.
Listen to this man
semttulo67ur0.png

Seriously

Authority

Banned
GTFOPLAT.png

Had my best match. Yasuo rage quit in the end and sold all of his items. The bot lane was apparently Platinum Players so I had to remind my team not to care and concentrate on the match. Do not let the final score fool you; it was very intense in the beginning but we had such a great synergy mid-game and snowballed after that.

I know it is not a big deal but for me there are no easy or hard games; just games I need to improve and become better and progress.

Top it is then~

More like Jungle.... Top voli can work (pretty much all jungle champions can top), but some of them just have way too many bad match ups to stay in the current meta.

How many hours til the champs get switched?

Like 10 to 16 or something. Usually like 2 AM Tuesday morning WC time.

Silver is way different than Broze so there is less rage and flame in general. Had a match of Rene (me) vs Darius. It went decent but still need more practice will Renekton. I should have rushed for Randuin with Ninja boots and then Sunfire followed by thormail considering they had adc + Rengar Jungler. Still learning.

We won the match but still.

I'm not the best player but I am a renekton main in gold. Ask away if you need any tips. Last season I was Silver 1 pretty much the entire way, won lane with Renekton like 95% of the games I played yet still had a sub .500 win % on him because A) I didn't know how to carry (when Bot/Mid loses) B) didn't know how to play the mid game.

This season so far 41 wins 25 losses on Renekton.

drawkcaB

ARGH WHY DO I ALWAYS TRY THEM ON THE LAST DAY?!
Tried Volibear and he was really fun. Just need to buff AP and health and he's good to go, but today would be the last few hours I can try him in T_T

EDIT: How's this build sound like for Voli?
Warmog Armor
Liandry's Torment
Rylai's Crystal Spear
Spirit Visage
Locket of the Iron Solari

Optional
Randuin's Omen
Zephyr
Iceborn Gauntlet

There's good room for improvement.

Warmogs: Good item on Volibear, though not necessarily as a first buy.
Liandry's Torment: The passive only procs on spells. That means that your ultimate and toss won't proc the damage because both are on-hit effects. Majestic Roar is on a fairly long cooldown even with CDR. His bite is on an even longer cooldown. In addition, the magic pen won't help either your toss or bite deal extra damage since those are physical.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter: Same issue with Liandry's. Only works on spells and the slow effect on Roar is only 15%. I'm assuming the intent is to pair Liandry's with Rylais to get the double damage, but that won't work because the Rylai slow has a lower duration than your Roar slow in the first place. Rylai+Liandray is good combo on champs who can abuse the effects (e.g. Singed, Rumble). Volibear isn't one of them.
Spirit Visage: Good item on Volibear.
Locket of the Iron Solari: Good item on Volibear, but pay attention to your support's build. Generally not worth getting two in the team.
Randuins: Good item on Volibear.
Zephyr: Good item on Volibear, but later in the game and only if you won't be wasting the tenacity.
Iceborne Gauntlet: Not particularly great. Same issue as Liandry's, sort of. Even with lots of CDR Volibear does activate enough abilities to maximize the spellblade procs.

You seem to have a good grasp of how to build Volibear defensively, but not offensively. Here are some suggestions:

Wit's End: Pairs with the significant bonus attack speed from this W and how his ult scales with attack speed (it last 12 seconds, so the more AAs you can get off, the more damage you can deal). MR and MR reduction are nice bonuses.
Blade of the Ruined King: Same as Wits End. W attack speed increases BotRK's on-hit physical damage and BotRK's attack speed increases ultimate damage. Slow and lifesteal (which meshes well with Spirit Visage) are bonuses.
Youmuu's Ghostblade: By itself not a great item on Volibear, but very good when paired with either BotRK. Ghostblade's active is great for Volibear and he makes good use of the stock AD, CDR, and Armor Pen. Again, only buy with BotRK if you need even more damage. Generally speaking, either Wits or BotRK as straight damage items are sufficient.
Phage: Extra health, AD, and movement speed. Upgrading to Trinity Force isn't necessary because Volibear doesn't make great use of it (see Iceborne Gauntlet). Best bought as an early game item and sold later on.
Frozen Mallet: A bit of AD and good chunk of health, both of which increase Volibear's damage output. Good pick-up on Volibear late game because he tends to become a peeler and this makes him better at that role. Makes it easier to get off ult on-hit procs as well. Despite the community's general dislike of Frozen Mallet, Volibear makes excellent use of it against most opposing teams.

Ferrio

Banned
We need some gaf 5 man theme teams. I miss doing wacky shit.

The pugger doing Diana support in our game was the closest thing I've had!

Authority

Banned
More like Jungle.... Top voli can work (pretty much all jungle champions can top), but some of them just have way too many bad match ups to stay in the current meta.

Like 10 to 16 or something. Usually like 2 AM Tuesday morning WC time.

I'm not the best player but I am a renekton main in gold. Ask away if you need any tips. Last season I was Silver 1 pretty much the entire way, won lane with Renekton like 95% of the games I played yet still had a sub .500 win % on him because A) I didn't know how to carry (when Bot/Mid loses) B) didn't know how to play the mid game.

This season so far 41 wins 25 losses on Renekton.

Would greatly appreciate it.

Basically with my Rene right now I have "What the fuck moments"; Like there are some enemies I am not sure how to start up or what philosophy I should apply with my starting items.

For example,

Against Tank, aka Garen or Shen

Cloth+5HP pots, Sunfire and then Randuin (Considering they had a heavy AD team)

Against Darius, I am having a difficult time deciding what to go for. I want ideally to be able to overlap him (if that is possible, harass him effectively). Same thing against Tryndamere, Jax, Trundle, and Olaf.

I just do not know what are the effective items to start off with and which items to put in order for me to be able to stand on a good ground against them. They all reach a point where they seem untouchable in laning and they are bullying me. I want, how should I put this, be in a position where I want to be confident farming against them most of the time with the right items, regardless if I am being pushed.

Not sure if I make sense.

Would greatly appreciate it.

Basically with my Rene right now I have "What the fuck moments"; Like there are some enemies I am not sure how to start up or what philosophy I should apply with my starting items.

For example,

Against Tank, aka Garen or Shen

Cloth+5HP pots, Sunfire and then Randuin (Considering they had a heavy AD team)

Against Darius, I am having a difficult time deciding what to go for. I want ideally to be able to overlap him (if that is possible, harass him effectively). Same thing against Tryndamere, Jax, Trundle, and Olaf.

I just do not know what are the effective items to start off with and which items to put in order for me to be able to stand on a good ground against them. They all reach a point where they seem untouchable in laning and they are bullying me. I want, how should I put this, be in a position where I want to be confident farming against them most of the time with the right items, regardless if I am being pushed.

Not sure if I make sense.

Well cloth 5 start was pretty dead during the last few months of Season 3. It was all about Dorans, but with the recent nerf I can see against some match ups cloth 5 makes a return. Basically Doran has that block passive that allow you to mitigate a lot of autos. So my theory is any champion that auto a lot like tryndemere you still want Doran. If they don't auto you then cloth 5 is probably the way to go, and really lately I've been going a lot of Doran blade start.

My other top lane main is Shyvana, and I find the two to be complete polar opposite in that one stomps early game (Renekton), and the other stomps late game (Shyvana). So if I'm Renekton going up against a weak top laner I'll probably go Doran blades, try to snowball the lane and go from there.

Garen - I don't know why sites like lolcoutner says Garen is a counter to Renekton. I swear if I ever first pick Renekton I'm get counter with Garen, but to me that's not a hard match up at all. If he activates his Q and runs straight at you just W him (or really get out of range then's he can't win trades until it's back up), then E the hell out. He's passive is really annoying so you kind of want to trade often so he doesn't regain hp. If you are going to all-in then ult early over late. I remember when I first played the matchup I would ult late but he would ult and I would just die. People really underestimate the magic damage from your ult when they just stand right next to you trading. Makes up for your crappy attack speed.

Shen - Real easy match up you can zone him hard. Your sustain crap on his. A couple of Fury Q and he's force to last hit under tower. You can also stop his ult with your W. Remember he has no form of wave clear what so ever. All he has are auto's and his Q to farm.

Dairus - He's literally offensive version of Garen. It's the same concept he just hits harder but tanks worst (I think he's much harder than Garen though since you can't screw up your trades or you're going to die). Sunfire is probably needed for lane phase. Don't stand and trade autos with him. Get your harass in and get out. I also think in this match up it's important to get level 2 before he does.

Tryn: I think he's really easy as long as you don't botch the first 3 levels. Once again don't trade auto with him. Once you have all 3 skills you can harass very easy with E, auto, W, auto, Q, Auto, E out. You should be able to kill him even with tower dive around 4-5. Just make sure it's pre-6 because that ultimate of his can be a real huge bait.

Jax: Easy as well... his E stops auto. You shouldn't be autoing in the first place. You can also always E away from his stun if he active it from far hoping to Q on to you for the E to connect. I think it's very similar to the Tryn match up. But don't get cocky because a fed Jax/Darius can totally swing the game for them even if mid/bot wins. So don't be that guy that lose the game for the team. You should win, but if you don't' going even is totally acceptable.

Olaf - This one I think is probably the hardest out of the bunch because he has true damage, can negate your W, and chase you with Q if you somehow get behind and botch trades. I have yet been able to snowball on Olaf as Renekton. I've won lanes majority of the time but I have yet to be able to figure out a way to just shut him out of the game. I even recall a game where I killed the guy 3 times in lane. I was 3-0, he was 0-3.... and somehow when we went at it for the 4th time he took me out (no jungler help). I guess we can call this out scaling.....All I can say is dodge his Q, don't underestimate his true damage. Armor doesn't save you from true damage. Now that It think of it maybe I should of went more offensive build against him....

Trundle - I think very similar to the Shyvana /Olaf match up. There's really no reason to lose anytime pre 9. However don't get cocky if lane phase reach level 9-10, because he will slowly start to out scale you. The guy can also suck your armor/MR, and then get a huge attack speed boost. So you really shouldn't be trading auto with him post 10. He can also chase for days...so yea don't get baited into that because even if you decide (oh crap I need to back out by 50% he probably still could chase you down and kill you). I would honestly go Hydra (for both Trundle/Shyv) and then transition into defensive items after the Hydra.

As far as items go. I think sunfire is a lot better and cheaper for lane phase. Randuin is better in mid/late game and for team fights. I like to get sunfire after lane phase though. Just because diving with sunfire can become tricky. Unless I am really ahead and then it doesn't even matter....

Renekton is the ultimate lane bully, theoretically you shouldn't ever be bully in lane unless you're getting camped (which is 100% going to happen playing Renekton. generally you're going to out push whoever is on the other side. And the best thing (well for me at least) is when their jungler ganks you... then you press R.. and BOOM DOUBLE KILL + DOUBLE BUFF.

Kenai

What are the changes to MF?

Double Up

Mana Cost reduced to 55 (from 70/75/80/85/90)
Cooldown changed to 7/6/5/4/3 (from 9/8/7/6/5)
Damage to 1st target changed to 110% AD (from 25/60/95/130/165 +75% AD)
Damage to 2nd target changed to 120/130/140/150/160% AD (from 30/72/114/156/198 +90% AD)
Changed the criteria for selecting the 2nd target* (basically easier to aim it)
Updated the range/targeting indicator to help communicate the change in 2nd target criteria

Impure Shots

Mana Cost reduced to 30 (from 50)
Cooldown changed to 15/14/13/12/11 (from 16)
Passive's damage changed to 6% Total AD per stack (from 4/6/8/10/12 damage per stack)
Active's Attack Speed buff changed to 20/30/40/50/60% (from 30/35/40/45/50%)
Grievous Wounds duration reduced to 2 (from 3)

Bullet Time

Damage reduced to 45/75/105 (from 65/95/125)
Bonus AD ratio reduced to 30% (from 35%)
Now applies stacks of Impure Shots (does include bonus magic damage; does not include grievous wounds)

Mothman91

Double Up

Mana Cost reduced to 55 (from 70/75/80/85/90)
Cooldown changed to 7/6/5/4/3 (from 9/8/7/6/5)
Damage to 1st target changed to 110% AD (from 25/60/95/130/165 +75% AD)
Damage to 2nd target changed to 120/130/140/150/160% AD (from 30/72/114/156/198 +90% AD)
Changed the criteria for selecting the 2nd target* (basically easier to aim it)
Updated the range/targeting indicator to help communicate the change in 2nd target criteria

Impure Shots

Mana Cost reduced to 30 (from 50)
Cooldown changed to 15/14/13/12/11 (from 16)
Passive's damage changed to 6% Total AD per stack (from 4/6/8/10/12 damage per stack)
Active's Attack Speed buff changed to 20/30/40/50/60% (from 30/35/40/45/50%)
Grievous Wounds duration reduced to 2 (from 3)

Bullet Time

Damage reduced to 45/75/105 (from 65/95/125)
Bonus AD ratio reduced to 30% (from 35%)
Now applies stacks of Impure Shots (does include bonus magic damage; does not include grievous wounds)

I can finally bust out the Mafia MF skin.

Tizoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAX9bvZl8cA
hmmm

There's good room for improvement.

Warmogs: Good item on Volibear, though not necessarily as a first buy.
Liandry's Torment: The passive only procs on spells. That means that your ultimate and toss won't proc the damage because both are on-hit effects. Majestic Roar is on a fairly long cooldown even with CDR. His bite is on an even longer cooldown. In addition, the magic pen won't help either your toss or bite deal extra damage since those are physical.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter: Same issue with Liandry's. Only works on spells and the slow effect on Roar is only 15%. I'm assuming the intent is to pair Liandry's with Rylais to get the double damage, but that won't work because the Rylai slow has a lower duration than your Roar slow in the first place. Rylai+Liandray is good combo on champs who can abuse the effects (e.g. Singed, Rumble). Volibear isn't one of them.
Spirit Visage: Good item on Volibear.
Locket of the Iron Solari: Good item on Volibear, but pay attention to your support's build. Generally not worth getting two in the team.
Randuins: Good item on Volibear.
Zephyr: Good item on Volibear, but later in the game and only if you won't be wasting the tenacity.
Iceborne Gauntlet: Not particularly great. Same issue as Liandry's, sort of. Even with lots of CDR Volibear does activate enough abilities to maximize the spellblade procs.

You seem to have a good grasp of how to build Volibear defensively, but not offensively. Here are some suggestions:

Wit's End: Pairs with the significant bonus attack speed from this W and how his ult scales with attack speed (it last 12 seconds, so the more AAs you can get off, the more damage you can deal). MR and MR reduction are nice bonuses.
Blade of the Ruined King: Same as Wits End. W attack speed increases BotRK's on-hit physical damage and BotRK's attack speed increases ultimate damage. Slow and lifesteal (which meshes well with Spirit Visage) are bonuses.
Youmuu's Ghostblade: By itself not a great item on Volibear, but very good when paired with either BotRK. Ghostblade's active is great for Volibear and he makes good use of the stock AD, CDR, and Armor Pen. Again, only buy with BotRK if you need even more damage. Generally speaking, either Wits or BotRK as straight damage items are sufficient.
Phage: Extra health, AD, and movement speed. Upgrading to Trinity Force isn't necessary because Volibear doesn't make great use of it (see Iceborne Gauntlet). Best bought as an early game item and sold later on.
Frozen Mallet: A bit of AD and good chunk of health, both of which increase Volibear's damage output. Good pick-up on Volibear late game because he tends to become a peeler and this makes him better at that role. Makes it easier to get off ult on-hit procs as well. Despite the community's general dislike of Frozen Mallet, Volibear makes excellent use of it against most opposing teams.

Thanks, I'll alter my build accordingly.

Oh hey Gangplank's free for the week, will let my brother try him out.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Got kicked out of pvp net. Greeted with an hour long queue but I'm first in line.

Yay riot.

Boken

Banned
Yeah it's jumping between 45 minutes and 3 hours for me. Anyone know how long this takes to sort itself out usually? I just started playing last week and have always been able to log on without a queue.

teambuilder testing started today, and it seems to have made everybody so excited that they broke the servers

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm dunno if i should buy panda annie

like i already have reverse annie which i feel is the best annie but you know variety is cool

Blizzard

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised, she's picked a fuck ton in professional play just for that damn ultimate. It brings so much utility and play making to the table, I would be surprised if Riot didn't nerf it.

Also, Lulu is probably gonna get nerfed also, she's fucking good at mid atm.

This would be like the saddest thing ever. Hasn't Lulu been nerfed at LEAST twice already specifically because she was still viable for mid or top lane, and Riot was trying to get rid of that?

Also, I love team builder already. I think it was only 3-4 minutes to get into a game as jungle Vel'koz, and even less to get into a lobby.

Blizzard

Banned
Also, I love team builder already. I think it was only 3-4 minutes to get into a game as jungle Vel'koz, and even less to get into a lobby.

teambuildera8jkp.png

Team builder brilliant success. It wasn't even a long wait to do something absolutely bizarre and useless, and judging from AP Ashe and teleport jungle Garen, everyone is doing it so I fit right in.

*edit* Well, I could have sworn Ashe STARTED Mage. I think she had frostfang, rageblade, and maybe some other AP item.

I dunno... she'll still be a viable pick in the way that Kayle is still seen as a viable pick. Can't completely blow anyone up in one combo, but the utility that comes with her is still great.
Kayle's damage never depended on Lich Bane.

Lulu is going to suffer quite a bit, though her early-mid game is still mostly unchanged seeing how LB is often her third item. It's better to lose some of that damage than getting her bases nerfed again, I guess.

Newt

Kayle's damage never depended on Lich Bane.

Lulu is going to suffer quite a bit, though her early-mid game is still mostly unchanged seeing how LB is often her third item. It's better to lose some of that damage than getting her bases nerfed again, I guess.
uhhhhh

She had strong DPS and burst regardless of it. Lich Bane just pushed it to silly levels, which made her get nerfed super hard on her Q.

Lulu doesn't get that. If you don't build Lich Bane your damage falls through the ground later on.

Hmm. I'm curious why people would think any mid is more reliant on Lichbane than any other? I mean, yes, it's particularly useful in instances where the champion's full-build damage is just short of having enough burst to 100-0 someone, but it's not like it's uniquely powerful on Lulu compared to other AP carries with a ranged auto.

Sure, you don't build it on mids with absolutely atrocious auto-attacks (why hallo thar Karthus), but it's really no more specially effective on Lulu than it was on Lux, Twisted Fate, or really any other AP with a good auto animation, decent range, and an AP > MPen priority in their build. Hell, people even used to build it on Gragas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom