• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends: Season 4 World Championship (Sep 17 - Oct 19)

This is one of the only World's series I've seen that has been thoroughly entertaining. Bonus points for Joe Miller, Deman and Kobe on the commentator seats instead of having to endure Rivington and Deficio.

zkylon

zkylewd
there's no way royal is throwing this

that comp is throw proof

People don't like Rivington? Deficio I can understand but idk, I generally like Riv.

i don't mind riv too much but he's got a couple catchphrases that irk me and he doesn't seem to know a lot about the game

my dream caster duo is doa + kobe

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel bad for omg, finally they pick a comp i like and it's always sad to see ori lose

Not against a Rumble

Too bad Royal is very well aware of this and has been making sure they are shitting on Gogoing for 20 minutes
They could always go baron and eat both equalizer and shockwave.
imo that'd be true if they didn't have such a tanky comp

everyone in that team (except uzi) is very resilient, they can eat an equalizer buffet and still walk away home free

but yeah royal playing it really well, never letting up and not giving omg a second's rest

Tankyness doesn't really matter once Rumble has Liandry's

Luckily Gogoing is pulling the Shook special. I wonder if he'll get to finish an item before the game is over.

zkylon

zkylewd
tbh i feel like omg would have a bigger shot against white than royal

royal doesn't even ward lol

Tankyness doesn't really matter once Rumble has Liandry's

Luckily Gogoing is pulling the Shook special. I wonder if he'll get to finish an item before the game is over.

it does if you're losing :p

People don't like Rivington? Deficio I can understand but idk, I generally like Riv.
He tends to spew misinformation and spazzes out way too much for what amounts to nothing more but LOUD NOISES to drum up some forced hype. Dude also really likes his meme one-liners. Shit's grating, color commentator or not.

I'll never forget when he once shouted "And the Ashe ult hits!" when it completely whiffed everyone, or how "the Ashe - Nunu synergy is really working out for 'em" even though said champs were on opposing teams. He's improved over the years, but he still doesn't really think things through.

Sofo

He tends to spew misinformation and spazzes out way too much for what amounts to nothing more but LOUD NOISES to drum up some forced hype. Dude also really likes his meme one-liners. Shit's grating, color commentator or not.

I'll never forget when he once shouted "And the Ashe ult hits!" when it completely whiffed everyone, or how the "Ashe - Nunu synergy is really working out for x team" even though said champs were on opposing teams. He's improved over the years, but he still doesn't really think things through.

lol, did he really say that? Damn, that is indeed pretty bad. ;x

zkylon

zkylewd
royal as a team is a total darling tho

all the hilarious jungle picks and nail biting 5 game series and the drama

if there's a team i would love to see play more games it's royal

Really enjoyed this Bo5 series. Chinese teams bringing the enjoyment. Sucks that the finals will probably be a stomp.

Lets hope SSW gets complacent. I don't need the finals to end in less than two hours.

bokn

Banned
congrats to our finalists
Br2Pq3G.png
vs
cGt0aP4.png

see yall next week
t1413705600z4.png

Great series. OMG will be kicking themselves - they threw game 2, should've won game 3 and never showed up in game 5.

I'd rank the series so far, best to worst, like so:

SHRC 3-2 OMG
SHRC 3-2 EDG
SSB 3-1 C9
OMG 3-0 NJWS
SSW 3-1 TSM
SSW 3-0 SSB

Shame SSW will almost certainly stomp again in the final, and they won't even get cocky and mess up their pick/ban phase when 2-0 up since it'll be the biggest match of their lives. I'm actually more excited to see if they can win Champions afterward.

bokn

Banned
Yeah they will. All the major teams have gone into rebuilding with the new 1 team policy

SKTT1K came back after worlds and crushed winter (probably no winter this year - or ever)

if only OMG wasn't too timid in game 2 with their Jayce at his damage spike and basically could kill the jungle and/or support in 2 1/2 seconds they would walked into the finals

Einbroch

Banned
The only thing I don't like about Joe "Don't call me 'Joe 'Joe Miller' Miller'" Miller is his voice gets incredibly high when he gets really excited. It almost sounds like screeching.

garath

I'm a little disappointed in the Worlds this year. The groups stage was pretty great but since then the schedule has just been rough. There was a LOT of hype around Dota2's international this year and a lot of newcomers tuned in. There was a "newbie" stream and seemed like constant action.

Because League's games are coming in at like 4am EDT and the games are SO spread out, it seems like there's not even a fraction of the hype. I really wish they would have done it all in a single tournament as opposed to changing venues over and over and spreading it out over weeks. Or at least done the groups in one sitting, then the actual tournament in another.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm a little disappointed in the Worlds this year. The groups stage was pretty great but since then the schedule has just been rough. There was a LOT of hype around Dota2's international this year and a lot of newcomers tuned in. There was a "newbie" stream and seemed like constant action.

Because League's games are coming in at like 4am EDT and the games are SO spread out, it seems like there's not even a fraction of the hype. I really wish they would have done it all in a single tournament as opposed to changing venues over and over and spreading it out over weeks. Or at least done the groups in one sitting, then the actual tournament in another.
Yep, completely agree. Quarters, semis, and finals should be over one weekend. Make it a four day weekend if you want. So much more hype.

League's tournament formats (IPL5 largely excepted) have always left me a little disgruntled. Last years' Worlds had much bigger problems than this years', but it's still not right. Riot's e-Sports team were right in thinking they'd got it wrong in the past by scheduling big matches so close together - NA Spring Split having its QFs, SFs and Final on consecutive days being the most egregious example of fixture spammage - but they also need to make sure they don't let the hype fizzle out with a fixture list that's too sparse to retain momentum and hype.

I think the World Cup has it right - hold the Quarter-Finals across one weekend, the Semi-Finals during mid-week following, then the Final (and 3rd place playoff) on the next weekend. Any closer and you're asking too much of the teams and viewers, any longer and interest taper out.

I note also that the biggest and most prestigious tennis and golf tournaments are intense bouts of competition held over two weeks and four days respectively.

AcridMeat

Banned
It was just unfortunate bracketing for the quarters. You have each region against each other, there should have been at least 1 from each region on either side. Hype died down when NA had to face both of Korea, and all we had to watch on the other side was all of China face each other and Korea.

It being in Asia this year doesn't make it any easier to stay hyped when everything has to be caught on a vod anyway.

bokn

Banned
Quarters, semis, finals over one weekend sounds like a terrible idea. And I think those of you who say that there was a lot of hype around this years TI didn't really follow it :/

You give the teams barely any time to prepare and you're looking at a potential 10 hrs of stream time each day

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think there's two ways to go about it. One is shove everything into a single weekend with 8-14 hours of streaming and limited team prep, but makes the event more of an event.

The other is the 'StarCraft' way where you give a long break of 1-3 weeks between Quarters/Semis and Grand Finals so each team can really really prepare against the other. In SC at least you'd see really solid builds, early aggression cheese, macro cheese, wonky shit like 2 base carrier twice in a Bo7, etc.

I'd hope that the extra time will help SHC have some really great out of the box picks to fight against SSW.

I'd love a newbie League stream. It would help a lot of people who don't play or 'get' League in media and other facets to understand too.

That said I still think TI4 was great. We had nice group games, some hope that was killed immediately (LIQUID?!?!), the downside is the 6.81 push meta with boring heroes like Razor/DP being at prime. Finals weren't awesome, but hey.

6.82b looks to address a ton of those issues and from what I've read about the PBE changes it looks like Riot really wants to change up the game flow and objectives in a huge way to move people around the map more so there are forced decisions and commitments (Which I think is great).
This is gonna end like last seasons final isn't it? Royal club reaching the finals then getting wrecked 3-0.
Yeaaaaaaaaah probably

Top Bottom