• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
syllogism said:
Yeah there are already l4d1 campaign vpks out that work without any trickery. They seem to be in daylight though, but still look surprisingly good.

e: ooh it includes nighttime versions too

L4D1 content only seems to work if you are playing alone. Zombies are completely broken if you play with other people. They have completely solid corpses and they have no animation. This leads to survivors getting trapped in a group of them or them blocking a door.

Also, there are some broken textures/lights in the campaigns and the custom ones that change it to daylight look like absolute shit. A lot of the lighting is baked into the backgrounds so you see buildings that look dark as they would at night only its bright out.

If you want to see the L4D1 campaigns in 2 atm, your best bet is to manually copy the map files over from one folder to the other and start them via the console.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
MNC said:
Whu whu whu

What happened to these features?
They were probably from the Versus hack in the demo. L4D1's demo had different settings than release in Versus too. I wouldn't be surprised if there were console commands to enable that sort of thing.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Tried playing No Mercy (the distribution mentioned in the l4dmods forum). Intro seems broken; lots of common infected have neon-lit clothing, some missing broken glass textures. Playable, until I reached the finale and wasn't able to activate the radio. Oh well.

syllogism

Tempy said:
Tried playing No Mercy (the distribution mentioned in the l4dmods forum). Intro seems broken; lots of common infected have neon-lit clothing, some missing broken glass textures. Playable, until I reached the finale and wasn't able to activate the radio. Oh well.
I didn't see any neon-lit clothing or missing textures but I only played NM1 and 2

e: apparently you downloaded an old version of the maps

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
For those of you who are curious to see what the l4d1 maps look like, here are some screens from DA5 which has almost no visual issues:

Edit: Nevermind

Stallion Free said:
They have completely solid corpses and they have no animation. This leads to survivors getting trapped in a group of them or them blocking a door.

I actually wish they would somehow incorporate dead bodies into the gameplay.

After you get boomed on and swarmed you should literally have to dig your way out of a mountain of zombie corpses. That would be awesome.

xero273

Daigoro said:
cant wait to play coop with you guys. im expecting it to go on sale in the next few days hopefully.

im dragging pops ass out of retirement too. one way or another. if just for a run or two... :/

don't know if you are reading the other steam thread, but for today the game is 33.49

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vehn said:
where did you guys download the l4d campaigns to be put into l4d2?

Copy all the map files from Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\maps in to the comparable folder for Left 4 Dead 2. Start up Left 4 Dead 2, open the console and type "map l4d_ and scroll through the autofill options to pick one of the l4d maps you want to try.

Sibylus

Banned
Or you could just drop VPK versions of the original 4 campaigns into your L4D2 addon folder, meaning you could access them from a menu.

syllogism

Protip: don't jump up and down in the nm4 elevator next to another survivor

Also the new l4d2 horde spawning mechanics don't really work in the original, especially some panic events are too easy

So, can custom survivors and infected be made this time around? I remember seeing something about that a while back, but I'm not sure if it was confirmed.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So some random fuckface starts shooting at his teammates, but the server has votekicking disabled. /facepalm

hadar

This might be a stupid question, but I'm a bit on the fence about the steam deal, it's rather cheap for a new-ish game but i'm not sure how much I'd play it. How hard is it to truly get into it? Also, servers, any problems finding good ones?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
hadar said:
This might be a stupid question, but I'm a bit on the fence about the steam deal, it's rather cheap for a new-ish game but i'm not sure how much I'd play it. How hard is it to truly get into it? Also, servers, any problems finding good ones?

It's not hard to get into at all. It's pretty easy to hop in and play with random people, I played the first game for the better part of this year doing that. Servers have never been an issue for me. Also, Gaf has a great VS group who plays almost nightly.

Tokubetsu

ayaee8.jpg

Botolf weathering the storm!

2dlvtp0.jpg

Red Scarlet and I holding the line.

I like fire and this concludes my first L4D2 experience.

xero273

vertopci said:
You guys really need to start getting your teams together if you're in the GAF L4D VS League. Stop sitting around expecting other people to ask you to join their teams and start talking to the other members. Then once you have your team, list them in the comment section of the group page.

Is it too late to join this vs league?

Threi

notag
Getting it for 360 (GASP) tomorrow.

Blasphemous, I know, but I find the game most fun when I am playing casually with my friends and family...who own 360s.

I'm not looking to play the game "hardcore" so to speak so I am willing to use the cumbersome inferior controls (truthfully they fucking suck :lol)

Red Scarlet

I'd like to have some kind of sGAFenge (yeah, cheesy) thing going with 7 other folks this weekend. Random teams of folks from here, playing each map. Best of 3? Possibly 5?
probably 3
Only 6 maps, should take as long as a VS match, and could be fun. Would anyone want to try?

Red Scarlet said:
I'd like to have some kind of sGAFenge (yeah, cheesy) thing going with 7 other folks this weekend. Random teams of folks from here, playing each map. Best of 3? Possibly 5?
probably 3
Only 6 maps, should take as long as a VS match, and could be fun. Would anyone want to try?
I'll probably be online in around 20 mins.

Red Scarlet said:
I meant like tomorrow or so not right now. It's midnight and I slept for about 3 hours.
Only 3 hours? I guess the excitement of opening those Xmas presents got to you then!

I'll be online tomorrow too... possible with a L4D freshman friend.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lol, Shadowlink got his account jacked on Steam. If you are on his friends list, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK that the bot will send you about free Valve games.

Volcynika

Stallion Free said:
Lol, Shadowlink got his account jacked on Steam. If you are on his friends list, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK that the bot will send you about free Valve games.

Yeah, just got that myself

Shadowlink The steam is proud to present free games for steam
-----LINK REMOVED----

Top Bottom