• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Team Action League Now

Starring:
Buddha "Stinky Diver" Rockstar
xero273
OmegaDragon (membership confirmed)
Your Name Here

Awesome! One more and we're set.

P.S. you gotta chose Action League names- Meltman, the Flesh, Thundergirl, The Chief, and the Mayor are all still available!

BuddhaRockstar said:

P.S. you gotta chose Action League names- Meltman, the Flesh, Thundergirl, The Chief, and the Mayor are all still available!
Well what time do you plan to play games?

vehn

Just got out of a team vs. game in dead center and we lost at the very end 2069 - 2068. So damn close! If some one of us were to just not die for 2 seconds longer we would have gotten the points to win :/

Red Scarlet

dragonlife29 said:
Yeah, I know they're from the first game :p The short video you posted prior was such a cocktease, so to speak...need moar.

If it's no problem I'd love them .avis

Oh, ok, it'll be a while to avi them.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
This post may, perhaps, b glossed over butI feel in need of some inspiration, so why not. I made alot of maps for l4d1, its a real hobby of mine, these ranged from campaign sole, to campaign and versus and a few survival maps later on. I dont distribute these, the fun for me is just turning an idea into a design into a working game space, the process is really thrilling. I recently got the l4d2 sdk and through a small marathon made a scavenge map which was again, awesome fun. However whereas i am creative on the technical side, turning a local into a functioning map, I am terrible when it comes to finding locations that are appealing. My scavenge map was just an amalgm of where I live, an urban environment, a park and a few shops which i could imagine and recreate ingame.

Now im kind of in need of some inspiration as to what location I could recreate next, it will be a scavenge map, because as far as mapmaking goes the turnaround time is but a fraction of versus/campaign maps. Also in regards to error checking and dreadful optimisation the list of considerations to take into account is so much less.

My inspiration for prior maps has always come from pictures, interesting places or environments. So im throwing it out there to anyone in this thread who perhaps has seen a picture or recalls an environment that is in some sense inspiring that i could base a scavenge map around.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Haha, well it would certainly be a challenge, but a mod server with grav turned down and a little inspiration, who knows? That being said i imagine id have to create a significant amount of models to do it, which is a side of mapmaking I havent really delved into too much.

Concept17

Mr Cola said:
This post may, perhaps, b glossed over butI feel in need of some inspiration, so why not. I made alot of maps for l4d1, its a real hobby of mine, these ranged from campaign sole, to campaign and versus and a few survival maps later on. I dont distribute these, the fun for me is just turning an idea into a design into a working game space, the process is really thrilling. I recently got the l4d2 sdk and through a small marathon made a scavenge map which was again, awesome fun. However whereas i am creative on the technical side, turning a local into a functioning map, I am terrible when it comes to finding locations that are appealing. My scavenge map was just an amalgm of where I live, an urban environment, a park and a few shops which i could imagine and recreate ingame.

Now im kind of in need of some inspiration as to what location I could recreate next, it will be a scavenge map, because as far as mapmaking goes the turnaround time is but a fraction of versus/campaign maps. Also in regards to error checking and dreadful optimisation the list of considerations to take into account is so much less.

My inspiration for prior maps has always come from pictures, interesting places or environments. So im throwing it out there to anyone in this thread who perhaps has seen a picture or recalls an environment that is in some sense inspiring that i could base a scavenge map around.

A city center or construction site. With a city center you could have easy to recognize places like retail stores, movie theatres, and such...and hide the cans within each. If you wanted to go more vertical, a construction site could work pretty well, and you wouldn't have to worry about making things quite so 'architecturally correct'.

Mr Cola

Concept17 said:
A city center or construction site. With a city center you could have easy to recognize places like retail stores, movie theatres, and such...and hide the cans within each. If you wanted to go more vertical, a construction site could work pretty well, and you wouldn't have to worry about making things quite so 'architecturally correct'.

Good suggestions, construction site in particular sounds fruitful, ive done alot of work in urban environments, creating retail stores/shopping malls and the like, so id be ideally looking to vere away from that. You have given me an idea in regards to a construction site, there is a place around here being built at the moment, a huge glass building, which could provide a nice backdrop. Cheers!

MNC

BuddhaRockstar said:

Stinky Diver is the best one :p

Mr Cola

Something like this seems cool, i could have it part construction part build, something akin to the dead center finale sounds pretty awesome in my head, i love the verticality.

34xnvx3.png

Mr Cola said:

A campaign where the survivors are escaping a city, through the country side, and stumble across a nuclear bunker, they start a countdown on a nuke, finale is to defend until a chopper comes in, big nuke finish :lol

Hey i think its cool...... :)

K.Sabot

So I bought this game a week ago...

I still have yet to play a full campaign, or a full match of versus due to rage quitters. I guess this game really does require you to have 3 friends, even if it is online.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ogs said:
A campaign where the survivors are escaping a city, through the country side, and stumble across a nuclear bunker, they start a countdown on a nuke, finale is to defend until a chopper comes in, big nuke finish :lol

I like that idea, especially the part with the nuclear bunker. It would be really epic to see the nuke detonate from the back of a helicopter in first person, just like in
Call of Duty 4

xero273

K.Sabot said:
So I bought this game a week ago...

I still have yet to play a full campaign, or a full match of versus due to rage quitters. I guess this game really does require you to have 3 friends, even if it is online.

PC or xbox? If you don't mind playing with gaffers, then just go to the following link and start adding people. I'm pretty sure people from gaf can help you finish a full campaign.

PC
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379901

xbox360
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379971

Good luck, hope you can finish a full campaign.

BuddhaRockstar said:

I choose Meltman

Lostconfused said:
Well what time do you plan to play games?

I'm pretty sure the time to play games will be flexible. It will probably most likely just happen on the weekends at night.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ogs said:

How would they start a nuke? I could see a racoon city scenario where they are gonna bomb a heavily infested area and you gotta get out right quick.

HK-47 said:
How would they start a nuke? I could see a racoon city scenario where they are gonna bomb a heavily infested area and you gotta get out right quick.

Fuck knows, its a custom map, anything goes :lol Somebody on a radio could give em instructions or something :p

NotWii

Banned
Ogs said:

That's almost the same idea I wrote about on these forums :O

I was originally going to do a 5 level campaign, but then decided to just keep the cool scenarios and ditch the others.
My proposed campaign is now 3 levels long.

1. Escape from the city
The survivors have a decided to tough it out in the city, but they're starting to run low on ammo so they're on an ammo run. Shortly after they reach the gunstore, an air raid siren (timed gauntlet crescendo) will go off suddenly along with an aerial announcement that the city has been designated for thermonuclear BBQ. The alarm will bring all the infected out into the streets, you will have 10mins to get to the last train in order to get to minimum safe distance, the train conductor will leave without you if you're too slow.

2. Train ride to an army base
Riding through the countryside shooting zombies, your goal is to move up from the rear saferoom carriage to the fortified carriages near the conductor's box, you'll have to deal with tanks hopping onto the train. Later you'll encounter a derailed train on the tracks that forces the train to stop so you can pull a track switch (crescendo) to get to the army base. During the crescendo, the conductor will have been bitten, so he'll choose to remain in the train while the survivors move on ahead. Maybe the conductor will ask that you spare him from the horror of turning into one of the infected.

3. The army base
A more traditional L4D level, but with some nontraditional mechanics. You'll make your way through some light forest to the army barracks, only to find it has been totally overrun. There will be plenty of weapons and ammo, tents, jeeps, cannons strewn all over the map. There will be watchtowers (with miniguns) you can climb up into, it would be cool if tanks could knock them down. There will be a set of four electric perimeter fences that you can power up, but you'll only be able to power one fence at a time and you'll have a limited battery/gas supply, someone will have to be in charge of turning the fences on/off to relieve the horde.
A radio will trigger the finale and the rescue vehicle will be a chinook helicopter.

I decided to try making level 2 first.
I got the train working, but it seems very jittery when you climb onto it, not sure what I'm doing wrong. But tanks can climb onto it, smokers can pull you off the train and the minigun and sandbags set up on the fortified carriage are cool, if I had more time I'd work on it :/

Concept17

Mr Cola said:
Good suggestions, construction site in particular sounds fruitful, ive done alot of work in urban environments, creating retail stores/shopping malls and the like, so id be ideally looking to vere away from that. You have given me an idea in regards to a construction site, there is a place around here being built at the moment, a huge glass building, which could provide a nice backdrop. Cheers!

Awesome, keep us updated on any progress.

Red Scarlet

Those vids are almost up, dragonlife. Also you can watch a live scavenge match being streamed at pwnage.tv in about 3 hours from now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ogs said:
Fuck knows, its a custom map, anything goes :lol Somebody on a radio could give em instructions or something :p

Hey I am all for willing suspension fo disbelief but it only goes so far. I was thinking WTF the whole time during the run for the escape vehicle during Death Aboard.

Blizzard

Banned
vertopci said:
Great now you can listen to your team even less and fuck them over ever more!
2d8429t.jpg

Nice work, we even all four survived the finale on No Mercy... :lol Pity I wasn't watching when you killed yourself with fall damage (if that's how you died in the end).

Of course I was no doubt a horrible player/coordinator, but we worked decently together sometimes. This is the kind of fun you can have when you split vert and nabs up for once! :lol

Some great charging there guys! Think all of our rounds were won with a well timed charge/spit combo.

In conclusion: The tank needs some sort of whelping sound when he's being meleed, otherwise it's far too easy to be stealthily baseball batted from behind.

Red Scarlet

What were some of the highlights? I can't remember a lot of the stuff..there's vert dying above the manhole on DarkC3, but that's what I mainly remember.

Mar

Forewarning: I'm here to have a whinge and vent.

This game is too hard. I'm putting that on the table right now. Expert difficulty is just absolutely brutal and could quite possibly be the hardest game I've ever played. And I'm no stranger to beating very hard games.

I play with my friends, all who are from tournament level FPS backgrounds. All of us tournament winners in duel and team death match / capture the flag match ups. But we get our damn asses kicked in L4D2 on Expert. We've finished L4D1's Expert levels, yet here in the sequel after hours and hours and hours of bashing our head against the zombie wall, we've only managed 1 person to make it through to the rescue.

Sure, we are playing on the 360, so there's no twitch firing etc. But we still know what we are doing and work great as a team.

So, what's going on here? is this a known thing or for whatever reason are we just sucking, hard? To be honest I'm finding it hard to want to keep playing. The last game we had after attempting the last stage of Parish for a good number of hours and at 2:30am, one of our guys said "ok, this is the last attempt for me then I'm heading to bed". I said back "this could be my last forever, god damn this game".

And then I knocked over a magazine rack and walked out.

Red Scarlet

What map were you playing? A couple seem way easier now to beat from some decent/good holdout points. Others (like Parish) can come down to just one or two escaping...

Also, what weapons are y'all using? I myself grab a melee for whatever finale I'm at; seems to be better suited than the magnum (and I never use pistols..I want to sometime though).

BuddhaRockstar said:

Hurray. I'll be the Flesh. If we have a fourth member, we should try to play some games togehter

Mar

Red Scarlet said:
What map were you playing? A couple seem way easier now to beat from some decent/good holdout points. Others (like Parish) can come down to just one or two escaping...

Also, what weapons are y'all using? I myself grab a melee for whatever finale I'm at; seems to be better suited than the magnum (and I never use pistols..I want to sometime though).

Well, the two we've played the most is Carnival and Parish. Carnival we managed to get one person out at the end. Parish we are constantly brutalized in the last section, on the bridge. We're mainly using AKs when we can find them, combat rifles... You know, any reasonable machine gun.

You're saying the melee weapons are actually good? I like using them but my team mates keep saying they're useless. I find that hard to believe. I'd figure they'd put them in for a reason, and construct specific circumstances for their use.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Mar_ said:
Well, the two we've played the most is Carnival and Parish. Carnival we managed to get one person out at the end. Parish we are constantly brutalized in the last section, on the bridge. We're mainly using AKs when we can find them, combat rifles... You know, any reasonable machine gun.

You're saying the melee weapons are actually good? I like using them but my team mates keep saying they're useless. I find that hard to believe. I'd figure they'd put them in for a reason, and construct specific circumstances for their use.

I find melee weapons to be preferable when you're in a hurry. During a game of scavenge, or making the run across the bridge on the finale of Parish.

Maybe the alarm runs on Dead Center and Parish, but I think I've done better with shotties and adrenaline there.

Of course, if you're talking about Expert and on the 360, you can't really whip around and take care of anyone immediately behind you, like you can on the PC. So I guess it's entirely possible that melee is more limited on the console versions.

Mar_ said:

Yeah, when you're being gangbanged from every corner.

Red Scarlet said:
Those vids are almost up, dragonlife. Also you can watch a live scavenge match being streamed at pwnage.tv in about 3 hours from now.
Thanks, Red!

I had never heard of that site, but I'm looking through it now.

Daigoro

Mar_ said:

its just a steeper learning curve that seems like it should be easier because of your experience with the first one. that and the AI Director can be a bitch and really fuck with you sometimes.

the melee weapons are very good and can be essential on certain levels. magnums are also amazing.

stick with it, it will become as easy as the first one after a bit of re-acclimating. its honestly only slightly harder than the first game because of some of the new special infected powers and the way the Director chooses to fuck you over with them.

Servizio said:
Of course, if you're talking about Expert and on the 360, you can't really whip around and take care of anyone immediately behind you, like you can on the PC. So I guess it's entirely possible that melee is more limited on the console versions.

yeah you can, there's a 180 button. pretty useful.

Mar

Well it's good to hear. I really enjoy using the melee weapons and have found them pretty effective. The only problem is it's really easy to hit your own team when you're waving one of those things about.

Daigoro

they do less damage to team mates than guns though.

also Parish can be a real bitch. its probably the toughest of all L4D campaigns.

Red Scarlet

Yeah melee weapons are great if you are in a hurry or a lot of zombs are coming. Plus they kill Tanks in 10 hits, if those are one of the problems getting through. As soon as you see a Tank going after someone else or starting to throw a rock at someone, you can take off half his HP by yourself in 1 rock throw animation.

On realism mode, imo the melee weapons and magnum are the best weapons to use. Makes the mode a bit too easy compared to how it is supposed to be though (they pretty much 1 hit kill the normal zombies, where regular weapons take multiple body shots or 1 head shot).

Those vids are up now, dragon:
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D1 vs 010710-DT1.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D1 vs 010710-DT2.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D1 vs 010710-DT3.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D1 vs 010710-DT4.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D1 vs 010710-DT5.avi

Did a vs tonight on Dark Carnival on vert's server, the selector was pretty cool. There were a number of funny moments, if you want that dragon. No Mercy was pretty fun, the finale was pretty interesting!

Also dragon, tomorrow night they are broadcasting a vs match if you want to check that out at that pwnage.tv site.

Anyone ever encounter a hacker? In all the games I've experienced in both L4D1 and 2, I've never bumped into anyone who I thought was cheating 'properly' until today.

-every swipe with the tank, he would vanish and appear 20 feet away.
-we dragged and incapped a survivor the other side of the stacked desks in Dead Center 3, the other 3 had all dropped down, this mysterious guy then teleported across and rescued Rochelle.
-During the event on Dead Center 3, there were almost no zombies. We even boomed all 4 of as they ran through the window and they managed to run all the way to the switch without a single zombie, none of them firing a shot or meleeing.
-Conversely, we were subjected to non-stop hordes, we didn't even manage to get up the first escalator out of the safe room!
-On the finale, this player teleported between floors and not a single horde spawned during the entire round. In fact, we all put our controllers down and simply watched.

Oddly enough, after a few cans, the person was kicked and a message popped up saying "so and so was banned from this server" with no explanation. Bizarre game, but strangely enjoyable.

Thanks for the vids, Red! Waiting for the first one to finish loading as I type :D And thanks for the heads-up on the Versus match. I watched the recent scavenge match they had and it made me feel insignificant...they were good.

I don't expect you to upload all your matches, by the way :) I'll take whatever you give me, though :D I just don't want you to spend a lot of time uploading stuff.

marvelharvey said:
Anyone ever encounter a hacker?
I think I have in a Versus match, and I think he was on my team <_< I was playing with two friends and one was a random (we were infected). Anyway, we were on Dark Carnival 2 and two Tanks spawned by the shooting gallery consecutively. Then in 3, he was a Smoker but it looked like he was doing the Charger's animation on the victim. He left after that.

This was on 360, BTW.

Red Scarlet

Uploading really isn't the problem, it's the converting..that takes about as long as the video is in real time or so. The vs from tonight will be up tomorrow (today, whatever).

Shake Appeal said:
When I did my solo real deal run with the overnight break, I heard the magnum firing in my dreams.
I am so going to try by myself soon. I'm only missing The Real Deal and Still Something to Prove. You inspired me <3

BTW, Red, I finished watching. Some of you guys sure know how to keep the pressure! I was like, "Goddamn, I would've probably been dead way before that if I played them." Nice Boomer near the Witch in the sewers, BTW :D Didn't think you'd actually pull it off.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dragonlife29 said:
I am so going to try by myself soon. I'm only missing The Real Deal and Still Something to Prove. You inspired me <3

BTW, Red, I finished watching. Some of you guys sure know how to keep the pressure! I was like, "Goddamn, I would've probably been dead way before that if I played them." Nice Boomer near the Witch in the sewers, BTW :D Didn't think you'd actually pull it off.

We will be doing another scrimmage later this week in Left 4 Dead 2 (Dead Center) and then maybe another scrim in L4D1 after. If you can, try hopping in the server for L4D1 as Vert has 2 spectator slots. Also, you should try playing with us sometime.

xero273

dragonlife29 said:
Thanks for the vids, Red! Waiting for the first one to finish loading as I type :D And thanks for the heads-up on the Versus match. I watched the recent scavenge match they had and it made me feel insignificant...they were good.

You probably already know this, but pwnage also has the past matches on their site. It's in their on demand section. So you can watch anything they have streamed in the past.

MooSeePoo

Neo Member
I was playing this last night with my 3 friends. We were on the last mission on
the bridge
. All of my friends had died so I was gunning for
the chopper
to finish. I had set my timer on my phone so I could check I was going to complete within
3 minutes to get the achievement
. I was about 10 seconds away from the end with around 20 to spare, when suddenly I see a vote pop-up saying "Kick MooSeePoo?" and three ticks from my friends.

B@stards!

Threi

notag
did i mention how fun this game is?

It's really freaking fun (even on 360 with the clunky controls - you can melee well enough for it to be enjoyable)

...too bad nobody cares and wants to play MW2 instead :lol

Top Bottom