• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Penguin

Threi said:
did i mention how fun this game is?

It's really freaking fun (even on 360 with the clunky controls - you can melee well enough for it to be enjoyable)

...too bad nobody cares and wants to play MW2 instead :lol

I play on 360... and my usual gang is usually playing MW 2. :(

Red Scarlet

dragonlife29 said:
I am so going to try by myself soon. I'm only missing The Real Deal and Still Something to Prove. You inspired me <3

BTW, Red, I finished watching. Some of you guys sure know how to keep the pressure! I was like, "Goddamn, I would've probably been dead way before that if I played them." Nice Boomer near the Witch in the sewers, BTW :D Didn't think you'd actually pull it off.

d and I weren't playing, just spectating and commentating/blabbing to each other. The one from last night I did play, though.

Stallion Free said:
We will be doing another scrimmage later this week in Left 4 Dead 2 (Dead Center) and then maybe another scrim in L4D1 after. If you can, try hopping in the server for L4D1 as Vert has 2 spectator slots. Also, you should try playing with us sometime.

He doesn't have it for computer, main reason I'm .avi'ing some of them. :(

Nabs said:
:lol. everyone's first time w/ the buffed witch is hilarious.

:lol how was she buffed exactly? And I know why I fell off the roof on level 4 now! I was kind of by the edge, heard something and turned around, then walked backward at an angle so that I completely missed the last "house" and fell right off onto the street.

On level 1, I totally forgot about that alarm car. And I still don't know what the other team used on level 1..looked like a fire cannon + molotov? Maybe someone got a fire round for a grenade launcher and someone tossed a mol/gas can at the same time.

I've come across a glitch yet (8X) again on the Carnival finale (X).
I activated the light switch, had everyone kill all infected and set up at the top left corner of the stadium. Stood on stage and cycled through taunts, laughs, hurrahs and ready a couple of times. Activated the switch, went through the staircase to left of the stage then went up to regroup and the heli appeared.
Could be just me but someone else mind trying this out?
I'll try it again having someone else just activate the switch but could my account be glitched?
If so then it's a shame because IMHO this is the best finale in the entire game.

vazel

Banned
Why do so many fucking tards play expert realism. I'm near fucking crying with frustration trying to play through an entire campagin on expert realism. Isn't the natural course to first learn the other campaign modes before you go to expert realism. But there seem to be so many fucking morons that go straight to expert realism.

They probably consider themselves hardcore to the max so don't feel the need to first learn the other modes first. Then there's the achievement hunters.
Jeff Stephen said:
I've come across a glitch yet (8X) again on the Carnival finale (X).
I activated the light switch, had everyone kill all infected and set up at the top left corner of the stadium. Stood on stage and cycled through taunts, laughs, hurrahs and ready a couple of times. Activated the switch, went through the staircase to left of the stage then went up to regroup and the heli appeared.
Could be just me but someone else mind trying this out?
I'll try it again having someone else just activate the switch but could my account be glitched?
If so then it's a shame because IMHO this is the best finale in the entire game.
I've seen the early heli glitch. Seems to be random. Or it's an admin activating it early assuming they can do that.

vazel said:
Why do so many fucking tards play expert realism. I'm near fucking crying with frustration trying to play through an entire campagin on expert realism. Isn't the natural course to first learn the other campaign modes before you go to expert realism. But there seem to be so many fucking morons that go straight to expert realism.

They probably consider themselves hardcore to the max so don't feel the need to first learn the other modes first. Then there's the achievement hunters.
A couple of my friends have been meaning to get that achievement done soon. What's your SteamID?

Nabs

Red Scarlet said:
:lol how was she buffed exactly? And I know why I fell off the roof on level 4 now! I was kind of by the edge, heard something and turned around, then walked backward at an angle so that I completely missed the last "house" and fell right off onto the street.

not sure exactly. all i know is if you even think about her, she'll hunt you down. it's why on map... 2? i startled her and ran like crazy.

xero273

What happen on that first map on dark carnival? In the dem, I think Nab disturbed witch, but then both Nabs and Vert went down.

Red Scarlet

It doesn't show who startled her, so maybe I did, but Nabs shot her so the witch went after him, then vert shot the gas can? and the witch went after him afterward? I DON'T KNOW IT WAS CRAZAY.

vertopci

Nabs said:
:lol. everyone's first time w/ the buffed witch is hilarious.

I remember failing miserably at crowning her and having link talk loads of shit on me. Then link goes up against the buffed witch and fails even worse by dying to her :lol

Red Scarlet said:
It doesn't show who startled her, so maybe I did, but Nabs shot her so the witch went after him, then vert shot the gas can? and the witch went after him afterward? I DON'T KNOW IT WAS CRAZAY.

Witch went for both us for sure. Don't know why....I think I might have accidentally buffed her even more than normal :lol

Normal buffs are that she gets pissed off fast as fuck, and has a larger pissed off range. And she does more damage when slashing the incapped survivor.

vazel

Banned
Learned of another glitch. On final of Dark Carnival jump on the tractor then from that onto the wood slabs and turn off your flashlights and absolutely no horde or tanks will appear throughout the entire event. Incredibly cheap and sure to get patched soon.
Volcynika said:
Haven't seen any hackers in the sequel, but I remember some speed hackers in the first. That's about it for me (PC version).
Saw an aimbotter today in a Dead Center campaign. What surprised me is he still kept getting incapped a lot and he doesn't seem to have fine control of the aimbot because he kept friendly fire shooting us. He just seems to point in a direction and the aimbot headshots everything in sight which often included us.

After playing so many kit-infested games recently, it was a pleasure to play on your server Vert.

vazel said:
Learned of another glitch. On final of Dark Carnival jump on the tractor then from that onto the wood slabs and turn off your flashlights and absolutely no horde or tanks will appear throughout the entire event. Incredibly cheap and sure to get patched soon.
Saw an aimbotter today.
That whole finale is broken, can't wait for them to fix it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
marvelharvey said:
After playing so many kit-infested games recently, it was a pleasure to play on your server Vert.

That whole finale is broken, can't wait for them to fix it.
My last versus game on DC, i managed to use a spitter to spit on the helicopter while three people were on it.:lol Needless to say, they did not survive it.

Red Scarlet

Update just came out..although I've never known/encountered any of the stuff they fixed.

Fixed where last round of upgraded ammo didn't have upgrade effect

Jockeyed survivor now glows for infected team in all cases

Fixed exploit that allowed Jockey players to get instant recharge of their ability

Fixed Charger ability timer not resetting when killing a survivor with low health on their third strike

Charger now applies a small amount of damage when charging through physic props

dragon, the vs is up now, it was just a casual game, but there were a bunch of funny moments: http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D2 vs 011010-DK1.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D2 vs 011010-DK2.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D2 vs 011010-DK3.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D2 vs 011010-DK4.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/L4D2 vs 011010-DK5.avi

drkOne said:
:lol
I hadn't heard any spit, so when I realized what was happening it was already too late.

Well yeah, I spawned in/in front of you as you were shooting so I died immediately. BUT THAT WAS MY PLAN

Volcynika

Since Scarlet is a bum and doesn't post the whole update:

Gameplay

Fixed where last round of upgraded ammo didn't have upgrade effect

Jockeyed survivor now glows for infected team in all cases

Fixed exploit that allowed Jockey players to get instant recharge of their ability

Fixed Charger ability timer not resetting when killing a survivor with low health on their third strike

Charger now applies a small amount of damage when charging through physic props

Match Making

Changed how requests are made to master server for group servers

Fixed sorting on group servers UI

Reduced update work on group servers UI

Miscellaneous

Made the water shader support splitscreen on the PC

Miscellaneous fixes in the subtitles

Updated system tray icon

Fixed Survival timer issue caused when voting for round restart

SDK/L4D2-LD/Hammer changes

When browsing for a func_instance filename, the proper path relative to the current bsp will be returned. This allows level designers to use instances from the base game in dlc maps without having to manually fix up the filename

Changed base.fgd default skybox to one that exists in L4D2

Added env_instructor_hint to fgd, as well as content/game icon images

Deadline URL fix

Added missing vmt for env_instructor_hint

L4D Addon Support - restored missing delivery van modified VMT

L4D Addon Support - restored missing shelves metal 3

L4D Addon Support - restored floodlight generator switch

L4D Addon Support - restored missing airliner content

Updated vbsp to correctly handle instances within instances

Fixed the fullscreen engine changing the Hammer views, requiring a restart of Hammer

vazel

Banned
Played with a little girl gamer today that was really good in versus and she was coordinating everyone so well. We made the opposite team rage twice. Just goes to show if a little girl can be that good there's no excuse for being an idiot.

Edit: Well ok maybe I look down on people that aren't good on L4D too harshly. They aren't idiots. I have my bad days.

Stallion Free said:
We will be doing another scrimmage later this week in Left 4 Dead 2 (Dead Center) and then maybe another scrim in L4D1 after. If you can, try hopping in the server for L4D1 as Vert has 2 spectator slots. Also, you should try playing with us sometime.
Yeah, like Red said, I don't have it for PC. My PC (from '05) has a whopping 504MB of ram and I suck with keyboard + mouse so hard; thus, I don't really enjoy gaming on it. I type like a clucking chicken and have to look at the keys :p Admittedly, I really want to try L4D/2 on PC but it's intimidating...and I'm unemployed...so no moniez for an upgrade =(

I was at Costco today, looking at the PCs and I think it was this one. Would that run L4D2 decently? Next time I'll take an index card and write the damn info down since I don't see NVidia on this one and am pretty I saw it on the one in-store.
If it wasn't apparent before: yes, I suck hairy ass with computers :p

BTW, that was a pretty awesome versus match you guys had on Dark Carnival. I didn't notice until the last chapter for some reason, but did you guys make it so you wouldn't get med-kits in safe rooms/elsewhere? There were some very cool incaps, too...haha.

Red Scarlet

dragonlife29 said:
Yeah, like Red said, I don't have it for PC. My PC (from '05) has a whopping 504MB of ram and I suck with keyboard + mouse so hard; thus, I don't really enjoy gaming on it. I type like a clucking chicken and have to look at the keys :p Admittedly, I really want to try L4D/2 on PC but it's intimidating...and I'm unemployed...so no moniez for an upgrade =(

I was at Costco today, looking at the PCs and I think it was this one. Would that run L4D2 decently? Next time I'll take an index card and write the damn info down since I don't see NVidia on this one and am pretty I saw it on the one in-store.

BTW, that was a pretty awesome versus match you guys had on Dark Carnival. I didn't notice until the last chapter for some reason, but did you guys make it so you wouldn't get med-kits in safe rooms/elsewhere? There were some very cool incaps, too...haha.

I can't use the standard WASD either. RocketDarkness has some friends that use the 360 pad. And yeah, the vs we played was with some mod still being worked on in L4D2, similar to Frustian's Mod for L4D1. For 2, it's still being worked on but the main things are pills only and no defibs. Frustmod in 1 had stuff like tier 1 guns only (really though it was no Auto Shotty nor Assault Rifle until map #5), pills only, and a guaranteed Tank spawn on every map.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
dragonlife29 said:

No, it has integrated video, you want something with a discrete video card.

Red Scarlet

Yeah, don't get integrated video..that's why I couldn't play Counter-Strike from 2003 until 2008. My computer cost half the price of that Costco one, so for the price of that Costco one you could get a much better computer! Mine doesn't run the game exceptionally well (usually 30fps, sometimes higher or lower), so at that price or even lower you could get one that runs the game better than I can (plus newer stuff!).

dragonlife29 said:

Definitely definitely definitely check out the "Build your Own PC" thread here on GAF, when you feel like acquiring a new computer. $500 will get you something plenty capable of playing L4D2.

Also, thanks a ton for the game, you three. I no longer have something to prove. :D

Just had an great round on the fourth map of Parish Versus. We already lost Coach at the cafe/pool table and we arrived at the crescendo with low health and no healing items. We were battling on the ground, it was not going very well. Nick died, Rochelle got incapped and I was just revived. Managed to revive Rochelle (who was black and white) while having 1 HP left. A few seconds later I was incapped, but Rochelle revived me, only to die soon after.
So I was the only one left, black and white. I got upstairs, killed the smoker and spitter still present and made a run for it. When I crossed the carnival cart I heard a hunter and jockey. Somehow I made it to the medicine cabinet, used the pills in there, startled the witch in that room and ran through the street. It was so freaky, running in black and white, killing commons with the CS knife while hearing a hunter, jockey and witch behind me :lol I think I made almost to 75% before I got pounced.

vazel

Banned
OmegaDragon said:
Just had an great round on the fourth map of Parish Versus. We already lost Coach at the cafe/pool table and we arrived at the crescendo with low health and no healing items. We were battling on the ground, it was not going very well. Nick died, Rochelle got incapped and I was just revived. Managed to revive Rochelle (who was black and white) while having 1 HP left. A few seconds later I was incapped, but Rochelle revived me, only to die soon after.
So I was the only one left, black and white. I got upstairs, killed the smoker and spitter still present and made a run for it. When I crossed the carnival cart I heard a hunter and jockey. Somehow I made it to the medicine cabinet, used the pills in there, startled the witch in that room and ran through the street. It was so freaky, running in black and white, killing commons with the CS knife while hearing a hunter, jockey and witch behind me :lol I think I made almost to 75% before I got pounced.
That story is lame I see stuff like that all the time. Would've been something if you survived to end. Play more to see more awesome OMGWTF moments. :p

My most memorable is in the finale of Dark Carnival. It was time for the tank and all my teammates got incapped. I run around the map just shooting at the tank all the while I'm also dodging and killing his teammates. I managed to light the tank on fire which made things easier. Then when tank dies I pop adrenaline and get everyone up. The other team started calling the guy who played the tank an idiot and kicked him :lol.

I really wish the game would keep replay data for last few games saved I would really have loved to youtube that.

Remfin

vazel said:
I really wish the game would keep replay data for last few games saved I would really have loved to youtube that.
Why don't you just record your own demos? I can't imagine it takes any resources at all.

I didn't even see the stickybomb on Scarlet's video :(

Volcynika

Short interview with Chet Faliszek about the game, mentions a removed SI:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=16495

Mike: Can you tell us any ideas that were left behind for Special Infected?
So I can then be tormented by the tons of emails that come in? Nobody ever trusts us that it was a bad idea... we played around with this one called The Leaker.

Mike: That sounds horrible.
You can tell I had something to do with naming because I'm lazy. "What does this one do?" "It charges." "Yeah, it's a Charger. I'll go with that."

Mike: If you don't name them simply, people will make up names for them.
If this thing was running down the street at you, you're not going to scream out some crazy long made-up fantasy name. With The Leaker, the idea was a kind of Boomer that could take damage, and shoot out spouts of goo. And you could plant yourself and explode - be this walking bomb. The problem is there's a warning that you're going to do that. So when you go to plant yourself, everyone else runs away, and you just die and don't hurt anybody. It's pretty unsatisfying. The idea isn't entirely bad, and some of that we brought over to The Spitter.

xero273

Red Scarlet said:
Ok Tek, here is that sticky bomb along with the wtfcomboattack :lol

Remfin said:
Why don't you just record your own demos? I can't imagine it takes any resources at all.

I didn't even see the stickybomb on Scarlet's video :(

You didn't see it in that one? Not sure if it was sticky bomb. But near the end the pipe bounces off the top and hits the side wall. You did say sticky bomb when that happened.

Remfin

xero273 said:
You didn't see it in that one? Not sure if it was sticky bomb. But near the end the pipe bounces off the top and hits the side wall. You did say sticky bomb when that happened.
Guess I didn't see that. During the game I saw it stick to a player's foot and he was running around with it and it ended up blowing up under him. That's why I found it so hilarious :lol

xero273

Remfin said:
Guess I didn't see that. During the game I saw it stick to a player's foot and he was running around with it and it ended up blowing up under him. That's why I found it so hilarious :lol

got it. I don't remember that part being in there. The video just showed Red throwing the pipe, it bounces off the top gate and hits the left wall. Red was not there when it exploded.

Volcynika

Red Scarlet said:
For 2, it's still being worked on but the main things are pills only and no defibs.

:lol

2drxtt3.gif

Top Bottom