• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

luxarific

Nork unification denier
How About No said:
And...and were the HL2 people working on L4D2? D:

Oh well I'm not the greatest HL fan anyway. But SOMEONE will get pissy :p

Not pissy, just depressed. They can't hire anyone to work on Episode 3? I'm sure there are some good programmers in need of a job. ;_; I mean I like the L4D franchise, but sometimes HL2 feels like the forgotten red-headed stepchild. (Although, I'm sure someone is working on it - it's the lack of any media regarding episode 3 that makes it feel like it's a forgotten afterthought. Release some media, Valve! Doesn't have to be a teaser trailer - even screenshots would do! :lol)

vertopci

luxarific said:
Not pissy, just depressed. They can't hire anyone to work on Episode 3? I'm sure there are some good programmers in need of a job. ;_; I mean I like the L4D franchise, but sometimes HL2 feels like the forgotten red-headed stepchild. (Although, I'm sure someone is working on it - it's the lack of any media regarding episode 3 that makes it feel like it's a forgotten afterthought. Release some media, Valve! Doesn't have to be a teaser trailer - even screenshots would do! :lol)

Episode 3 will probably become Half-Life 3 with Source 2.0 at this point I imagine.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tonight's the night! I'll be acquiring my copy after work, can't wait to kill some squeaky clown show zombies. I'll be on 360 @ TigerStyle86 if anyone needs players for multi.

As far as I know, the L4D team is separate and distinct from the Half-Life/Episode 3 team. I mean, that's not to say that simultaneous development doesn't take some kind of toll on every project, but it's probably unfair to blame L4D2 for the no-show of HL/Ep 3 to date.

Fuuuuuuuuuu

11pm CST. PC Version. Campaign 1, level 1 I'm there (assuming Valve time doesn't kick in).

I'll pick up my 360 copy after work tommorow. Yeah i'm one of those double dippers.

Anybody gonna play on expert first? I'm undecided. Even when you're used to expert sometimes it is fun to kick some ass on normal.

Jenga

Banned
luxarific said:
Not pissy, just depressed. They can't hire anyone to work on Episode 3? I'm sure there are some good programmers in need of a job. )
That's not how Valve works. Basically, Valve has a plethora of employees who each decide what they want to work on. If they want to move from say, doing TF2 updates to helping out L4D2, they are in their power to do so.

With L4D2 done, the majority of the man power will probably be more spread out and mostly into their biggest projects.

I imagine their project workload would be something like:

TF2 updates
L4D2/L4D1 updates
Episode 3
Portal 2

1up

I will be fooling many a steam friend with this baby at 11:30EST

l4d4diddy.jpg

I have a group of four for tomorrow morning, but while Expert might be annoying, we'd tear through Advanced a little too easily.

Maybe Advanced Realism?

Jenga

Banned
vertopci said:
Episode 3 will probably become Half-Life 3 with Source 2.0 at this point I imagine.
I hear rumors say Valve will throw in DX10 support for EP3. But no, they're definitely not going to move to the "next-gen" version of Source with EP3. If anything EP3 may be the source engine's last hurrah. Source 2 will most likely come with HL3.

Shake Appeal said:
I have a group of four for tomorrow morning, but while Expert might be annoying, we'd tear through Advanced a little too easily.

Maybe Advanced Realism?

I've heard realism mode is crazy from people who already have the 360 version. You can blow an entire clip of smg ammo on a horde rushing at you and only kill maybe 2-3 of them if you don't line it up for headshots correctly.

gregor7777 said:
Is realism mode a separate difficulty? Can you play Expert Realism mode?

Yep you can set the difficulty. No glowing outlines, no coming back to life through closets (defib or finishing the level is the only way to come back), non-headshots do something like 1/4 damage, items don't glow unless you get very close to them.

Hardcore mode is probably a better name for it. :)

wayward archer said:
I've heard realism mode is crazy from people who already have the 360 version. You can blow an entire clip of smg ammo on a horde rushing at you and only kill maybe 2-3 of them if you don't line it up for headshots correctly.
that is so awesome

Xdrive05

wayward archer said:
Yep you can set the difficulty. No glowing outlines, no coming back to life through closets (defib or finishing the level is the only way to come back), non-headshots do something like 1/4 damage, items don't glow unless you get very close to them.

Hardcore mode is probably a better name for it. :)

Campaign mode just became relevant again. So awesome.

L4D1 was completely boring on Expert if you had a capable team. It will be nice to get some real co-op challenge once again.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Jenga said:
That's not how Valve works. Basically, Valve has a plethora of employees who each decide what they want to work on. If they want to move from say, doing TF2 updates to helping out L4D2, they are in their power to do so.

With L4D2 done, the majority of the man power will probably be more spread out and mostly into their biggest projects.

I imagine their project workload would be something like:

TF2 updates
L4D2/L4D1 updates
Episode 3
Portal 2

Wow, that's an amazing management/workplace philosophy, really.* So it's basically a popularity contest (as regards what employees have the most fun working on) that determines what gets done? This totally explains the whole "it'll ship when it's done" thing. Valve isn't publicly held, is it?

*(I'm not knocking that approach, actually - work should always be fun.)

nilbog21

Banned
I'm sorry, I'm sure this has already been answered numerous times in this thread - but is the game releasing at midnight tonight, or will it be at 4pm tomorrow or however valve usually does it? And, should we expect delays?

Thanks

I don't mean to start a flamewar (keep it civil and not fanboyish) . . . but what are people's opinions on PC v. xbox 360?

PC:
+PC is Valve's home turf
+Better aiming with mouse.
+Better display resolution
+Eventual mods & user created levels
-Voice? (Perhaps this is supported better & used by more people than I realize?)
-Small desktop screen (for most people on PCs)

Xbox:
+Easy ubiquitous voice support . . . it is a co-op game and it improves the game fun to talk with your fellow survivors.
+Sitting your ass on the couch in front of the big TV
+Larger installed base
-Controls not as tight.
-No Mods

I've got the PC version pre-ordered but I'm now leaning to do xbox more. I really like the team/co-op aspect of everyone with voice chat.

Jenga

Banned
nilbog21 said:
I'm sorry, I'm sure this has already been answered numerous times in this thread - but is the game releasing at midnight tonight, or will it be at 4pm tomorrow or however valve usually does it? And, should we expect delays?

Thanks
11 PM Central Time tonight

Delays? Dunno, but Valve Time is usually in effect :lol

Flib

nilbog21 said:

Thanks

Midnight eastern time, full schedule is in the OP

Zeliard

Realism mode sounds fucking spectacular. Can't wait for midnight.

Damn lucky ass west coasters get more time to play before having to go to bed.

Coach’s booming voice is brought to you by Chad Coleman, who plays Denise "Cutty" Wise from the TV series "The Wire".

Holy shit I knew I recognized his voice! :lol

And Coach was already my favorite character before this tidbit.

Flib

speculawyer said:
I don't mean to start a flamewar (keep it civil and not fanboyish) . . . but what are people's opinions on PC v. xbox 360?

PC:
+PC is Valve's home turf
-Voice? (Perhaps this is supported better & used by more people than I realize?)

Xbox:
+Easy ubiquitous voice support . . . it is a co-op game and it improves the game fun to talk with your fellow survivors.
+Larger installed base
-Controls not as tight.
-No Mods

I've got the PC version pre-ordered but I'm now leaning to do xbox more. I really like the team/co-op aspect of everyone with voice chat.

More people play with voice chat in the pc version, from my experience (though some may disagree). Voice chat is integrated very well into the game. If you play with people you know or GAFers, you will see even more voice chat.

Tim-E

speculawyer said:

PC:
+PC is Valve's home turf

Xbox:
+Larger installed base
-Controls not as tight.
-No Mods

I rarely play with people who don't use voice chat on the PC version.

I'm glad you can set the difficulty for realism mode, i really struggle on expert, but find advanced quite easy, I was hoping for something inbetween so advanced+realism might be perfect for me.

LaneDS

speculawyer said:

PC:
+PC is Valve's home turf

Xbox:
+Larger installed base
-Controls not as tight.
-No Mods

I personally think the game looks a lot better on the PC, beyond simply higher resolution.

Voice is integrated very well and I've never had a problem with it. In fact I'd say the clarity is better than what you get through Live.

I don't know sales numbers, but I'd guess more people played the first game on PC than 360, but that's a total guess on my part.

While the bigger TV and couch are nice, PC wins out in most areas in big ways (graphics, controls, mods) that I think it's the way to go.

Voice chat is well supported and used by a surprisingly high amount of people in game.

I've seen people kicked out of the lobby for not having a mic.

I would disagree, in the 34 hours ive played, ive yet to hear a single word uttered :/ MW1 on the 360, i had to damn near mute everyone most the time

That's hard to believe. No offence.

Usage may not be quite as high as Live, because mics are packed in, but I've found no lack of people with mics in L4D PC.

Tenks said:
I reallllllly doubt that is accurate.
There is no question that there are far more PCs in the world. But it is also pretty certain that far more copies of L4D2 will be sold for the xbox 360 than the PC.

EmCeeGramr said:
Pretty sure that Left 4 Dead for the PC sold better and has many more people playing, and L4D2 will probably follow in those footsteps.
Perhaps I'm wrong? Looking at Amazon sales charts, the xbox version totally dominates . . . but I'm sure tons of PC versions are sold on Steam. But still . . . I'd suspect more copies of the xbox version are ultimately sold.

Anyone have good numbers?

Jenga

Banned
speculawyer said:
Up to you. Most every game I play of the PC version people have mics.

Zeliard

People chatted a lot in L4D 1 on the PC and I don't see it being any different this time around. L4D more than a lot of other games fosters and encourages constant communication between players.

speculawyer said:
There is no question that there are far more PCs in the world. But it is also pretty certain that far more copies of L4D2 will be sold for the xbox 360 than the PC.

Valve said they sold over 3 million copies of the first game. How many did they sell on the 360?

Valve games are not your typical console/PC releases. Valve is one of the few devs that made that transition that still has a huge PC base. A lot of that has to do with Steam of course.

Nabs

speculawyer said:

PC:
+PC is Valve's home turf

Xbox:
+Larger installed base
-Controls not as tight.
-No Mods

You'll figure it out when you give both a go. Just remember to try to play with pc gaffers once in a while (coop and versus).

speculawyer said:

PC:
+PC is Valve's home turf

Xbox:
+Larger installed base
-Controls not as tight.
-No Mods

As far as my experience goes:

PC positives: much, much better graphics (and smoother framerate), aiming is easier (although I'm not a huge fan of the precision/speed of keyboard and mouse, as it can make it feel much more 'gamey' than a controller). The game feels more natural and fluid on PC, largely because of visual fidelity and framerate. And I suppose there are mods and user-created content, although on the whole I haven't been that impressed with what's appeared so far. More importantly, the game is officially updated more often, and problems are addressed as they arise.

360 positives: the majority of my friends play on 360, and everyone has voice chat, so there's a particular atmosphere I enjoy. Also, the game feels slightly more 'solid' or 'chunky' to me, and I don't have to worry about weird server settings. That's about it, sadly. Also, I think it's more fun to pubstomp on 360 (standard seems slightly higher, weirdly, and people quit less; but that's all anecdotal).

I'm only getting both because I want to play with my 360 friends. If more of them migrated to PC, I'd be less inclined to.

Tenks

speculawyer said:

Based upon what information? Complete conjecture? L4D had a larger community and a more active community. You can't just make up shit and present it as fact. Hell the fucker is only one slot behind MW2 on the steam sales and it isn't even out yet. L4D sold well according to the NPD's I saw and that doesn't even track Steam which I have to assume is the best selling platform for L4D.

Zeliard

speculawyer said:

Perhaps I'm wrong? Looking at Amazon sales charts, the xbox version totally dominates . . . but I'm sure tons of PC versions are sold on Steam. But still . . . I'd suspect more copies of the xbox version are ultimately sold.

Anyone have good numbers?

Valve games sell significantly better on the PC than they do on consoles.

Twig

Banned
speculawyer said:
That is wrong.

You are forgetting Steam sales. Most people who buy Valve's games don't buy the physical discs. There's no point.

Zeliard said:
People chatted a lot in L4D 1 on the PC and I don't see it being any different this time around. L4D more than a lot of other games fosters and encourages constant communication between players.
Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm wrong on this one.

I didn't have much success with voice on Borderlands but perhaps I was doing it wrong?

Jenga

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
aiming is easier (although I'm not a huge fan of the precision/speed of keyboard and mouse, as it can make it feel much more 'gamey' than a controller).
That's the one complaint I can never, ever possibly understand.

Tenks

What I haven't tried in L4D2 yet is in L4D I could not get my fucking microphone to work. Something about L4D overtaking my input. I tried everything online to get it to work but never could. No clue if this is fixed in L4D2 but apparently it was quite the problem.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Shake Appeal said:
(although I'm not a huge fan of the precision/speed of keyboard and mouse, as it can make it feel much more 'gamey' than a controller).
:lol

Top Bottom