• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Nabs

Valve is trolling us by making it impossible to play a game on a personal server. an hour later, we finally got a game going that worked, and this beauty happened:

tie2bqjb.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Concept17 said:
What is the point if I can't hump your face and giggle at the same time?

Vert still struggling with the mods?

EDIT: ....installing
Nah, it's just been far too long since we have played Blood Harvest. Vert did manage to overcome the latest update changes that fuck up configs.

Hello guys. Just wondered if anyone was up for some versus sometime? My steam Id is efeman and I have a neglected server demanding some attention. I'm based in the uk a well so let's get this going. Maybe could add my server as an official neogaf one.

Concept17

Stallion Free said:
Nah, it's just been far too long since we have played Blood Harvest. Vert did manage to overcome the latest update changes that fuck up configs.

Well that's good.

Dead Air/No Mercy > Blood Harvest

vertopci

vert's how to be decent at VS guide

General

· Buy a mic. They are 10 bucks. No one is going to make fun of your voice, so just get one! Plus you can use it with other games!

· Designate one player on your team as the caller/coordinator. His job is to choose the tactics to use so that the whole
team is doing the same thing instead of four people doing their own thing. Listen to the caller, otherwise you throw
everything off. If you don't agree with something, throw an idea out to the caller and let him decide what he wants
to do.

· This guide is for the confogl L4D2 config which is used in GAF versus games, not the default config. All points will
not be applicable to the default config.

Infected Side

· Always attack together. This means don't go around doing solo attacks with smoker, hunter, charger, etc. All it does is
get you killed before you get any amount of worthwhile damage in.

· Die together. Unless you happen to have an infected with full or near full health left, run in and die with the
rest of your team instead of waiting for the cooldown to finish. If you have full or near full health, run back and
despawn. This prevents your spawn timers from going out of sync. If someone dies 10 seconds after the rest of the team,
the team is left waiting for an additional 10 seconds before they can attack again.

· Don't solo spit. All it does is give away your location and won't really slow down the survivors much. At a
chokepoint or on an incapped survivor, it might be useful, but most of the time you'll end up dying and throwing the
spawn timers off.

· Order of priority for who to spit on goes as follows: Hunter > Charger > Boomer > Smoker > Jockey. Depending on the
situation, you may want to ignore the priority, but when in doubt, spit on the guy captured by the Si with the highest
priority.

· When the caller says go, GO. Don't wait around for someone else to go first unless the caller specifically told you to
wait. Waiting for someone else to go when you aren't supposed to just causes your attack to be off sync.

· When playing hunter, do NOT keep going for damage pounces. At most, do one when your team's attack starts, but if it misses
DO NOT GO FOR ANOTHER DAMAGE POUNCE. Just pounce someone. Leaving to get another damage pounce, just makes it 4 vs 3, giving
the survivors even more advantage than they originally have.

· In general, do not pounce someone a survivior who is smoked or jockeyed. It's just stupid.

· Learn to rocket boom. Rocket boom is when you use the momentum from spawn mode to help you travel faster and drop down on
survivors from above. To do it, get on a roof, go to the back of the roof, then run foward. Then jump and spawn in at the same
time and your momentum from spawn mode will carry over to your now spawned boomer making him much more difficult to kill mid-air.

· Always find two spots to spawn before the caller calls the attack. Use the second one in case a survivor blocks the first
spawn point.

· Keep track of how many incaps each survivor has. That way you can plan to kill off whoever is black & white.

· Spawn as close to the survivors as possible. Don't spawn a mile away because you'll most like die before reaching the
survivors. If you do get to the survivors, chances are your team will be dead basically making anything you do worthless.

· Except on Parish 5, going for more damage is usually far better than trying to get a deathcharge or deathpull.

· As tank, as long as you keep line of sight with the survivors, your rage meter will not lower. This means if can you have tank
indefinitely if you can keep line of sight.

· Tank never loses rage while at least one survivor is inside the saferoom.

· During tanks, spitter is pretty much useless. Kill it asap and get something else.

· Don't rush in as tank. Don't attack without the other three SI backing you up or you will be killed quick.

· To hit a hittable into the air, look downwards while you hit it and it will fly into the air.

· If you are set on fire, play it cool. Don't rush in just because you're on fire. Wait for your teammates to back you up.

Survivor Side

· Play with sound on FFS.

· Use your mic whenever something happens in-game.

· Chrome and pump shotgun are total shit in this game. They are nowhere as powerful as in L4D1. On most maps you should take
take the uzi instead. 3 uzi and 1 shotty is a good setup for most maps. Switch the shotty out for a hunting rifle when you
find one.

· Listen to whatever the caller says. If you go do your own thing, chances are you will get pounced/smoked/etc and no one will be
nearby to help you quick. And when your team is rushing to save your ass, they will probably get intercepted by the other SI
and take massive damage.

· As your moving, make sure your team is spread out a bit. Staying tightly together will just cause everyone to get boomed.

· As your moving, make sure to watch various spots to block the SI from spawning there.

· As someone on your team is picking up an incapped survivor. DON'T SIT THERE WATCHING THEM, GO BLOCK FUCKING SPAWN POINTS.

· After you fend off an attack from the SI, rush the map and get as far as you can before their next attack in 17 seconds. Don't go around checking
every single room. That's just plain stupid.

· If you are red and below 50 health, take pills asap. Never ever take them when you have over 50 health.

· Guy with sniper rifle should be the first guy to have a melee weapon.

· Don't rush the crescendo events. Sometimes it's better to just stay in one spot and kill the horde for a little bit then move on when
the nearby area is clear.

· Call out any special infected you hear so your team knows what to watch out for.

· If spitter is the only SI left to kill, don't kill her asap. Melee her around a bit then kill her. This messes up their spawn timers.

· Don't ignore the boomed person. Shoot the zombies off of him instead of letting him try to kill them single handedly.

· Find a good spot to fight tank. Don't fight tank at whatever spot you happen to be at when he spawns.

· Do not camp inside the saferoom during a tank. He won't lose meter if even one person is inside the safe room. Camp outside the safe room
then run back inside if things get too dangerous. But do not camp inside. Keep leaving and entering if you have to.

· Against tank, try to hide from the tank's line of sight so his rage meter decreases.

· Hunting rifles are the main damage against tanks. Whoever has the rifle should be constantly trying to chip away at the tank's health.

· SHOOT THE TANK. THE TANK WON'T DIE IF YOU DON'T SHOOT HIM!

END

Hopefully I got most of the stuff down with no major spelling/grammar errors!

Also if anyone wants to play with us, just add me on steam. SteamID is vertopci. We'll probably be playing soon tonight!

Pretty good writeup, but there can be some differences in Realism Versus.

For instance, if you notice a survivor is falling behind and you are either a Hunter or Jockey, go for it. Chances are you'll either incap them as the Hunter before they can save him/her, or you can drag them behind and out of sight as the Jockey, where your team can back you up for the rescue in both cases.
Shit, even a good Smoker can make something happen in the case of a straggling survivor. Just make sure you're out of sight when you go for it or else you risk being sniped.

Secondly, I highly suggest checking rooms in Realism because every bottle of pills/shots, etc. counts in getting further and a higher score. There's no reason to rush; chances are your team isn't going to make it anyway (unless you're playing as a pubstomp or something, in which case you're lame).

But then again, I'm against rushing as a whole because I don't find it fun in the slightest. Meh.

That guide convinces me that I shouldn't bother playing versus. :lol

I like the 4 swordsman mutation. It works well. And the director gives you extra health packs & pills.

Nabs

speculawyer said:
That guide convinces me that I shouldn't bother playing versus. :lol

I like the 4 swordsman mutation. It works well. And the director gives you extra health packs & pills.

nah, you'd be fine. mr. b just joined us and did really well for his first time (and in general).

vertopci

GG tonight.

Nabs said:
nah, you'd be fine. mr. b just joined us and did really well for his first time (and in general).

Yup. Wasn't expecting him to pick it up so quick

I also updated the guide with one more point for survivors that I thought needed mentioning after the game tonight:
· SHOOT THE TANK. THE TANK WON'T DIE IF YOU DON'T SHOOT HIM!

Nice guide. Having one caller is extremely useful, especially when he knows good spots to attack. It also prevents people from attacking solo. It still amazes me when people attack a full group of survivors own their own.

vertopci said:
thanks to smoker for saving my life

Your welcome. :lol

The camera angle of that gif doesn't do the goofiness justice. My tongue for some reason decided to stretch 2x longer than it should to pick you up. I guess the game decided that I hit you despite the fact that the tank moved you completely out of my range by the time the tongue actually reached you and gathered enough momentum to push back from the tanks punch. From my angle you moved like a boomerang 50 feet out and 30 feet back.

Zeke

I've been playing for the last few weeks non-stop. I had some insanely good matches and some really good teams.

1) Playing versus on the passing we all start with a full team and everyone had mics. By the finale everyone on my team left but all the survivors stayed. I decided might as well just finish instead of quitting. Cut to the end I'm still by myself and I took their entire group out :lol

2) I played scavenge on the port and I ended up incapping three survivors with a jockey in the first round. Second Round I end up incapping two more again with the jockey. Our team won all our matches.

3) Playing versus on swamp fever get to the part where you have send for that little ferry. All the survivors are standing over by the water. One gets split up and I spawn in the upstairs room of that cabin. I charge him and take him in to the water for an insta kill.

4) Playing scavenge on the port had a great team the survivors started piling the gas cans together. I manage to smoker one survivor trying to fill the generator. Then our spitter sees the huge pile of cans spits on them while the survivors get boomed on.

5) Played versus on the parish and both teams sucked two people would just dick around and do nothing on both teams. I just go with it and try to play as best I can. The two survivors actually playing get killed. These other two guys who are on the same account are in a mobile home shooting anything that goes in the truck. I see one person on my team trying get them out but just end up dying ever time. I walk over looking for away to get them out. I jump and claw at one of the windows to see if its open or closed. They see jump and start firing shot in direction. I aim for the wall I can see thro the window and spit. I ended up incapping them both and end the round.

I've been playing tons of scavenge mostly on the port because I know that map so well. I've took a real liking to the jockey. I've been able to rack up quite a lot of incaps. I seem to do a lot better with the jockey than any other SI. I still can't use the charger to save my life tho.

Volcynika

New blog

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=4084

WEEK 13
July 16, 2010 - L4D Team

Mutation Week 13: Hard Eight, What is your favorite Melee Weapon?, What else are you playing?

Hard Eight
Double the specials, quadruple the fun!

Face eight Special Infected at one time, this is double the standard number! And if that wasn’t trouble enough, we also increase the spawning frequency so it is raining Specials.

What is your favorite Melee Weapon?
Last week we asked, what is your favorite Melee Weapon? I see I am not alone being a Katana man. It is interesting to see that Xbox 360 users prefer the Chainsaw that much over PC users. Is it all about the controller and that rumble?

Here are the votes by platform.

Xbox 360
34% Katana (Sword)
17% Chainsaw
12% Machete
10% Fire Axe
7% Baseball Bat
6% Golf Club
3% Frying Pan
3% Electric Guitar
3% Crowbar
3% Cricket Bat
1% Tonfa (police baton)

PC
44% Katana (Sword)
12% Machete
11% Fire Axe
9% Chainsaw
5% Baseball Bat
4% Golf Club
3% Frying Pan
3% Electric Guitar
3% Crowbar
2% Cricket Bat
2% Tonfa (police baton)

What else are you playing?
Besides of course playing L4D2, what are you playing the most?

To vote enter the game, view the in-game blog, and click to vote.

Next week's mutation: Healthpackalypse!

ArjanN

RocketDarkness said:
Might not be available tonight, but I definitely want to try it out this weekend. Should be fun.

I don't know. This one sounds pretty bad to me. I kind of want a mutation with no special infected.

Sadist

So I got this game today...

But after the first 45 minutes (which were awesome btw) I needed a break and wanted to start again but this message pops up:

"Running Steam in Windows compatibility mode is not recommended. Please remove any Windows compatibility settings for all users under file properties for steam.exe and restart Steam"

What

Edit: nevermind

And feel free to add me. :D

New mutation is pretty fun :D hard too, we couldn't beat DK on normal. The roller coaster map was hell. One time we had all good health and were nearing the tunnel, but a charger rammed us and knocked me off the tracks :( Enter another charger and some other specials and we had to restart again.

OmegaDragon said:
New mutation is pretty fun :D hard too, we couldn't beat DK on normal. The roller coaster map was hell. One time we had all good health and were nearing the tunnel, but a charger rammed us and knocked me off the tracks :( Enter another charger and some other specials and we had to restart again.
Yes it´s really fun. I like the constant tension.:D
Although during some rounds we couldn´t make 20 meters from the safe room before being destroyed.
We reached the atrium in Dead Center but couldn´t make it. Holy shit, what a massacre it was.

Oh yes, I forgot. Fuck you Jockeys! Fuck you, you annoying giggling leaping assholes.

Daigoro

i finally bought the Passing DLC on the 360. had some fun this weekend.

hard 8 is pretty sweet. tough as hell for sure, but lots of fun.

Top Bottom