• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

charsace

HK-47 said:
I'm up for all in a row, one day crunch!

I'm EST and I dont stay up as late as I used to and I'm rusty and I usually have Scarlet as a crutch but at least Botolf won't be around to light me on fire.
friend charsace. I can play through campaign man.

Blizzard

Banned
sgnhh said:
gibs, weak. Anyone want to do a gnome run on Expert Dark Carnival?
Which did you prefer?

Also, the M60 actually isn't very weak. It may take 2-3 shots to kill special infected but it's still a pretty strong gun!

:3

Daigoro

Botolf said:
9KlVL.jpg

Neogaf, lend me your ears!

So The Sacrifice may be coming on October the 5th, which isn't too far off. I want to organize a replay of all of the Left 4 Dead 1 campaigns, from No Mercy to Blood Harvest (preferable on Expert difficulty for as many groups as possible).

I've posted an announcement of said intentions on Omzom, as well as events on the particular days in September and October. Post here or over on the group page if you've got a team you're going to do the run with, I'd like to keep a list of all the players and teams who want to participate.

This is the sort of time-table I'm thinking of (1 campaign per day, ending with Blood Harvest the day before TS releases).
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/omzom/events

we dont have a specific date or dates yet for this do we? i just realized im kind of tied up this weekend and wont be around much.

Baha

HK-47 said:
I'm up for all in a row, one day crunch!

I'm EST and I dont stay up as late as I used to and I'm rusty and I usually have Scarlet as a crutch but at least Botolf won't be around to light me on fire.

Friend me on steam (BahaFS), I'm also EST and if I ever play VS or Campaign it's late at night due to many of my friends being PST. It'd be nice to play during the day for a change :lol .

Sibylus

Banned
Daigoro said:
we dont have a specific date or dates yet for this do we? i just realized im kind of tied up this weekend and wont be around much.
The current dates are September 30th-October 4th. Those should hold provided The Sacrifice releases on October the 5th.

Blizzard

Banned
I need help! I wasn't sure if the PC screenshot thread was the best place to ask this or not, but I figured people here know L4D1 well and talk about it occasionally.

Unfortunately Stallion Free, my 5850 buddy, defriended me for some reason so I can't ask him. :( If anyone else owns L4D1 and a 5850 I would REALLY appreciate if you could take a glance at this. I am running the latest 10.8 released drivers on Windows Vista 64, but have not yet run DriverSweeper or whatnot as Nabs suggested. I did completely uninstall the 4850 drivers before installing the 5850, if I recall correctly.

First, I'll take the start of blood harvest. This is with gamma turned up a bit, to 2.0:
l4d_farm01_hilltop0000yr38.jpg

Here's a shot looking up in the same area: http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=l4d_farm01_hilltop0001ao1p.jpg

Now, that's pretty dark even with the gamma turned up, right? The flashlight barely helps, everything is basically a spooky outline or completely black (I had the same sort of really dark level issues in TF2 I think).
So, question #1: Does this level of darkness look normal?

Now, two more screenshots, in a little room looking towards the window in Blood Harvest 2 where you go over catwalks and smokers like to pull people down:
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=l4d_farm02_traintunnel7sez.jpg
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=l4d_farm02_traintunnelfp99.jpg

Notice how that first shot is completely black, but in the second one you can see a little bit? I went out of the room, walked onto the catwalks a little bit, the global lighting got a little brighter (horde?), and I went back into the room.

Now, question #2: Is that lighting shift normal? Am I just totally insane and forgot that the lighting changed there? :lol

Lastly, I didn't test this after updating my drivers, but after I cranked the gamma up a day or so ago so blood harvest would be more playable for me, I saw some areas where things would have odd brightness changes. Like, I would go into a dark room (start of blood harvest 3?) with turbines, I could see the back wall/graffiti when the rest of the room was dark...until I walked closer to it, and then it went black.

Question #3: Is that sort of oddness normal for l4d1, at least with gamma cranked up?

Many thanks in advance for any l4d1/5850 people who take the time to answer this. :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Baha said:
Friend me on steam (BahaFS), I'm also EST and if I ever play VS or Campaign it's late at night due to many of my friends being PST. It'd be nice to play during the day for a change :lol .

Cool, me, you and charsace can be a team.

Nabs

give driver sweeper a chance. uninstall the ati drivers, and then run it in safe mode. it's worth a shot.

also, try restoring CCC to factory defaults

blood harvest with the flashlight on bill. sorry bill:

bhyn4r.jpg

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Botolf said:
The current dates are September 30th-October 4th. Those should hold provided The Sacrifice releases on October the 5th.

Damn i would love to do this but with my job i'm sure i'll have to work till about midnight (EST) or later Sept. 30th. If anyone would do No Mercy either Oct. 1st or earlier i would love to so this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
GGs last night. Blood Harvest was fucking tight. It's funny how we probably would have won BH with L4D2 finale scoring and the other team easily would have won No Mercy with L4D2 finale scoring.

drkOne

Stallion Free said:
GGs last night. Blood Harvest was fucking tight. It's funny how we probably would have won BH with L4D2 finale scoring and the other team easily would have won No Mercy with L4D2 finale scoring.
Scoring and Tier 2 really made me rage. Other than that it was good.
And am I the only one who feels that Chess is to Checkers as L4D2 is to L4D1? Concerning VS mode of course.

vertopci

drkOne said:
Scoring and Tier 2 really made me rage. Other than that it was good.
And am I the only one who feels that Chess is to Checkers as L4D2 is to L4D1? Concerning VS mode of course.

Nah, I feel the same way. L4D2 VS > L4D1 VS

Blizzard

Banned
vertopci said:
Nah, I feel the same way. L4D2 VS > L4D1 VS

vertopci said:
xero273 said:
I remember it was vert that usually gathers people up for gaf games, but I don't think he plays L4D2 versus because he hates it.

wat

edit: oh i see what you're trying to say. I don't hate it, I just think it sucks ass compared to L4D1 VS.

:lol I'm assuming vert changed his mind.

I like that chargers and jockeys and spitters are in l4d2, but I feel like the lack of as many accessible high areas as l4d1 (or is that my imagination?) combined with the less-mobile hunter does a bit to reduce potential strategy. It really bugs me when there are places in l4d2 that have a building/wall on one side of an area, with a fence behind it, and then there might be a panic event or whatnot...and then there is absolutely no way to get on top of the building or behind the fence to attack, so you have to go around the edges or through the open.

Presumably the new weapons + melee also make l4d2 vs worse for zombies by default, but as far as I know the NeoGAF vs. people typically play with a lot of the new weapons turned off to make it more even.

Standard disclaimer: I only have 23.2 hours of l4d2 according to Steam, as compared to 241.8 hours of l4d1, so there's a good chance I might have no idea what I'm talking about.

vertopci

Dude blizzard, you are one fucking creepy dude. Seriously.

Also that comment was made when it was mostly vanilla l4d2 vs frusmod l4d.

Also, you are creepy as fuck.

drkOne

Blizzard said:
:lol I'm assuming vert changed his mind.
Wow... To think you went through all the trouble. When vert is the first to admit he did change his opinion about it.
I was the same too.

Blizzard

Banned
vertopci said:
Dude blizzard, you are one fucking creepy dude. Seriously.

Also that comment was made when it was mostly vanilla l4d2 vs frusmod l4d.

Also, you are creepy as fuck.

drkOne said:
Wow... To think you went through all the trouble. When vert is the first to admit he did change his opinion about it.
I was the same too.

I'm not sure I really remember him posting about changing his mind, I just thought it was funny.

And about being creepy going through all the trouble, I'll let you boys in on a little secret. :lol :lol :lol There's this cool website where it took like 15 seconds to type in something:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=neogaf+vertopci+l4d1+better&btnG=Google+Search

Isn't that neat? :lol It just finds things for you when you type them in! At any rate, I just thought it was funny since I thought I remembered vert used to say how much better l4d1 was when you would all go back and play it for a night. When did frusmod (or the current preferred mod) come out for l4d2?

Don't take things so seriously though. And if you consider a 15-second search on Google creepy, what do you call it when vert posts a comment on my profile that my little brother can read saying something like "Blizzard you have sex with your parents, you sick fuck, I'm letting everyone know your horrible secret"?

You honestly consider a quick Google search about a game opinion creepy and vert's comment NOT AT ALL weird or creepy? :lol

Thanks for checking the brightness, by the way. I'm planning to wait until I install Windows 7 and see how it goes then.

Blizzard

Banned
HK-47 said:
Blizzard why are you creepy?
Stallion Free said:
I think he was born that way. I know people like that.
Once again, how is a 15-second Google search more creepy than someone refusing to stop leaving comments on my profile, leaving a comment saying I have sex with my parents, and complaining about me deleting them because of it?

Seriously people. o_O

drkOne

Blizzard said:
Once again, how is a 15-second Google search more creepy than someone refusing to stop leaving comments on my profile, leaving a comment saying I have sex with my parents, and complaining about me deleting them because of it?

Seriously people. o_O
Be honest Blizzard, you have a database of our posts...

Man, why do people have to be such jackasses? I had some dude on my team keep on shooting me randomly and without provocation. I tried to vote him out, but was outvoted twice, so I just left.

Is there a way of reporting bad behavior or at the very least making it so I don't ever play with this idiot? PC version, btw.

So how's the community for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 on 360?

Want play with some friends, so was gonna go ahead and buy them both as they're pretty cheap at this point. That and just for some reason, I don't enjoy playing this on PC.

I have a similar question as the above poster. How the community at this point in time? (on PC)

I was turned off by the console peasant smack talkers (nigger faggot white power whoooooo) on the PC servers.

What's it like currently?

perryfarrell said:
I have a similar question as the above poster. How the community at this point in time? (on PC)

I was turned off by the console peasant smack talkers (nigger faggot white power whoooooo) on the PC servers.

well I just played it the other day on PC and it's still got a crazy active community. No one really chatting, though I got abandonded twice during a finale =(

Diebuster

perryfarrell said:

I've been playing a lot of L4D1 lately, and the community is better than I remember. There's still some folks who just refuse to work as a team, but I've seen far fewer team-killers than before, and most people are helpful and friendly.

L4D2 is the same as always, you get your good and your bad. When it's good, you'll have a blast, but when it's bad, you just have to ditch the server and try again. I've never noticed many smack talkers though - team-killers are the problem for me.

perryfarrell said:

Co-op modes are good. I met lots of nice people. I played expert games with randoms, had loads of fun. Of course you run into people who go afk at the worst moments/dont listen to the rest of the team, but they are vastly outnumbered.

Competitive modes are a bit worse, but I have to say I haven't played public competitive games in ages. Main problem is people ragequitting and imbalanced teams. Also more chance of meeting people acting like douchebags.

(I play on European servers, maybe it matters)

I'll be buying this for PC during the next sale. The Xbox 360 version is one of my favorite games this gen. Can't wait to play the 2 DLC campaigns, I hope some gaffers will be up for it :)

Daigoro

AgentOtaku said:
So how's the community for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 on 360?

Want play with some friends, so was gonna go ahead and buy them both as they're pretty cheap at this point. That and just for some reason, I don't enjoy playing this on PC.

really odd timing because i was thinking about posting about this tonight. i just got my 1250/1250 on L4D2 last friday, so ive played the game a lot. ive also played almost exclusively with random parties.

the community has been one really good overall. ive had great experiences with players of varying skill levels. ive had very few bad experiences that i can recall actually.

for some reason L4D is one of the co-op games that i enjoy playing with random people. but the 360 community has been a lot more fun to play with in this regard than the PC version. no one on the PC version ever talks and the games are usually pretty boring from what ive experienced. i much prefer playing with firneds only on PC.

two thumbs up for the zombie killing community on the 360. its been really great over all.

Daigoro said:
really odd timing because i was thinking about posting about this tonight. i just got my 1250/1250 on L4D2 last friday, so ive played the game a lot. ive also played almost exclusively with random parties.

the community has been one really good overall. ive had great experiences with players of varying skill levels. ive had very few bad experiences that i can recall actually.

for some reason L4D is one of the co-op games that i enjoy playing with random people. but the 360 community has been a lot more fun to play with in this regard than the PC version. no one on the PC version ever talks and the games are usually pretty boring from what ive experienced. i much prefer playing with firneds only on PC.

two thumbs up for the zombie killing community on the 360. its been really great over all.

Thanks alot man! this is exactly the feedback I was looking for.
Yeah, I've to had a similar experience in playing it on PC, both with L4D1 and 2. It's just mostly quiet and boring where for the most part, people are just looking out for themselves. This leads to fustration when say, I put an hour into a campaign and choke on the finale due to no one else giving a shit. Unfortunately, due to my schedule, don't really ever get to play with GAFers.
Also, I find clicking shit to death, hunched over my desk, not entirely enthralling anymore.

quickwhips

A few friend of mine play this on thursday 6pm easter till about 9pm eastern. We are always looking for 1 - 2 more players for some vs and scavenger. I can't guarentee all the people that friends have bought into play some have been weird or jerks but i would say 70-80% are nice. This is on xbox 360. Gamertag: Quickwhips

I never have problem finding matches. Your right about some people not having mics or not talking. I think sometimes party chat has ruined the game though because I believe some people just sit in party chat.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AgentOtaku said:
Also, I find clicking shit to death, hunched over my desk, not entirely enthralling anymore.
Then hook up your PC to your TV and enjoy the visually superior version of the game with flawless 360 pad support? I mean your complaints are entirely your fault.

Stallion Free said:
Then hook up your PC to your TV and enjoy the visually superior version of the game with flawless 360 pad support? I mean your complaints are entirely your fault.

1. I'm not single
2 We don't wanna throw the computer in the living room
2. Pad support yes, but don't think that would go over so well with KB/Mouse players online, not to mention I would imagine the PC version is balanced for said latter interface.
3. Don't wanna invest in a wireless Keyboard/Mouse
5. Believe it or not, I actually like my desktop on an actual desk

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AgentOtaku said:
1. I'm not single
2. Pad support yes, but don't think that would go over so well with KB/Mouse players online, not to mention I would imagine the PC version is balanced for said latter interface.
1. No one cares about your relationship status.
2. No one gives a fuck in pubs and do you really pay that close attention to watch peoples movements to determine they are using a pad? There is no difference in game balance between platforms other than that everyone is using a pad.

perryfarrell said:

Just played a game last night against a team that would NOT stop voting to go back to lobby, start the match over, and turn all talk on. Why turn all talk on? So they can blare stupid music at everyone! Yay. Every 2 seconds I had to press F2. F2. F2.

And then they started to bad mouth and call me "mr. b bad" and asked me if I wanted to "scrim." I mean, sure, Mr. B Bad is unbelievably clever and all, but it was awful.

L4D PC community had and has the worst community in any game I have ever played. Bar None. You never finish a game cause one team is bound to quit/rage. The waiting to get people to replace the ragers is unbearable. You're bound to get at least 1 griefer and most people will not talk and most will be awful at the game, which in most games isn't a big deal, but in this game it creates 1 hour of unfun wasted time.

For me, it's friends game or nothing, cause the game is certainly fun with 8 people that are cool, but the chances of that are slim to zilch when playing with randoms. It was the case for L4D1 and it hasn't changed.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Stallion Free said:
2. No one gives a fuck in pubs and do you really pay that close attention to watch peoples movements to determine they are using a pad? There is no difference in game balance between platforms other than that everyone is using a pad.

You're really hostile.

Stallion Free said:

....wtf!?

Stallion Free

...ah I see

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
zombieshavebrains said:
You're really hostile.
I'm sorry that he has two ridiculous reasons for it. The rest were legit, but claiming that people will be attentive enough to notice that he is using a pad and will be offended is ridiculous. There are plenty of shit gamers on MKB that I'm sure a pad player could slip by.

Stallion Free said:
I'm sorry that he has two ridiculous reasons for it. The rest were legit, but claiming that people will be attentive enough to notice that he is using a pad and will be offended is ridiculous. There are plenty of shit gamers on MKB that I'm sure a pad player could slip by.

Yeah but have you played the 360 version? I would honestly say it plays a little different and is obviously tweaked for a controller IE: zombie hordes aren't as bad, they don't surround you as often, etc.
Hence I'd imagine any player would be at a disadvantage playing a game scaled towards the keyboard/mouse with a controller

It's simple balance. It's not a ridiculous reason so calm the piss down guy

Nabs

This page is filled with people who should probably add each other on Steam and play together. It's the easiest way to avoid crap in a public game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Quote:
Stallion Free

...ah I see

Hey man, you either Connect or Cut. Stallion chooses cut every single time.

Anyway, he might be a little hostile at the moment, but he has a point. I haven't played the 360 version, but from the videos I've seen on youtube, the versions look ostensibly identical in terms of the number of enemies it sends out to you. My friends and I have even played the PC version using 360 pads (and in Nabs' case a jury-rigged arcade stick setup) with relative ease.

Also, what kind of setup do you have with your computer? How far away is it from your TV? If it is within 25 feet or so, you can buy an HDMI cable to send it to your screen without any problems (30'+ runs are a bit trickier, unless the cables are powered).

Top Bottom