• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Sanjay

zombieshavebrains said:
You're really hostile.

It was his tone that triggered it, I mean look.

AgentOtaku said:
So how's the community for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 on 360?

Want to play with some friends, so was gonna go ahead and buy them both as they're pretty cheap at this point. That and just for some reason, I don't enjoy playing this on PC.

He has friends to play with, so why not play with them, surely they will talk to him or even better play with the GAF community.

Then it gets followed by

perryfarrell said:
I have a similar question as the above poster. How the community at this point in time? (on PC)

I was turned off by the console peasant smack talkers (nigger faggot white power whoooooo) on the PC servers.

What's it like currently?

The irony with this post is pretty hard to take but ok. Might be regional thing though.

AgentOtaku said:
well I just played it the other day on PC and it's still got a crazy active community. No one really chatting, though I got abandonded twice during a finale =(

AgentOtaku said:
Thanks alot man! this is exactly the feedback I was looking for.
Yeah, I've to had a similar experience in playing it on PC, both with L4D1 and 2. It's just mostly quiet and boring where for the most part, people are just looking out for themselves. This leads to fustration when say, I put an hour into a campaign and choke on the finale due to no one else giving a shit. Unfortunately, due to my schedule, don't really ever get to play with GAFers.
Also, I find clicking shit to death, hunched over my desk, not entirely enthralling anymore.

What kind of schedule stops you playing with gaffers for the past 2 years.

AgentOtaku said:
3. Pad support yes, but don't think that would go over so well with KB/Mouse players online, not to mention I would imagine the PC version is balanced for said latter interface.

Wrong and like you said they never talk any-ways right.

AgentOtaku said:
5. Believe it or not, I actually like my desktop on an actual desk

You sure about that?

AgentOtaku said:
Also, I find clicking shit to death, hunched over my desk, not entirely enthralling anymore.

But really it comes down to how much effort you are you willing to be part of the community, people make it by playing games, finding players you like and then adding them on your steam friends lists.

morningbus said:
Hey man, you either Connect or Cut. Stallion chooses cut every single time.

Anyway, he might be a little hostile at the moment, but he has a point. I haven't played the 360 version, but from the videos I've seen on youtube, the versions look ostensibly identical in terms of the number of enemies it sends out to you. My friends and I have even played the PC version using 360 pads (and in Nabs' case a jury-rigged arcade stick setup) with relative ease.

Also, what kind of setup do you have with your computer? How far away is it from your TV? If it is within 25 feet or so, you can buy an HDMI cable to send it to your screen without any problems (30'+ runs are a bit trickier, unless the cables are powered).

Honestly I'll try the 360 pad tonight in a public game.
Just to put it out there though, I also was curious about the 360 version to play with coworkers, as stated earlier I believe

charsace

l4d1 and 2 have the worst PC community currently. Griefers and assholes love this game. The rare times I try to use the mic I get called a n***er or some similar racist nonsense. I hope to never hear the question, "n**gers can use pcs?," in another game. Even when I played America's Army at launch it never was close to being as bad. And that's a free game.

charsace said:
l4d1 and 2 have the worst PC community currently. Griefers and assholes love this game. The rare times I try to use the mic I get called a n***er or some similar racist nonsense. I hope to never hear the question, "n**gers can use pcs?," in another game. Even when I played America's Army at launch it never was close to being as bad. And that's a free game.

Hey Char

Hey Char

Hey Char

You're right.

The problem is that the game seems to be custom built for a-holes. They have SO many options given to them and combine that with games that can take up to an hour and a half to complete, you got yourself a magnet for anonymous a-hole-ocity. And some ways of griefing, like the ability to constantly call out votes, Valve never bothers to fix.

drkOne

Nabs said:
This page is filled with people who should probably add each other on Steam and play together. It's the easiest way to avoid crap in a public game.
Speaking of playing together, you should play with us Nabs. :(

Baha

If you can't stand the community or want to avoid running into assholes online, play with friends. GAF alone has a substantial L4D community you can play with. Do what I did back when L4D & TF2 came out, make a friend, meet their friends, and in turn make them your friends. I never play L4D/L4D2 vs in public lobbies anymore, I have enough friends to turn to whenever it's convenient (usually evenings).

Baha

Sadist said:
Yeah, got to know a few GAF'ers and now I have a cool group I can play with.

VS. Realism is awesome :lol

If L4D 1 had vs realism patched in somehow, I'd play the shit out of it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Baha said:
If you can't stand the community or want to avoid running into assholes online, play with friends. GAF alone has a substantial L4D community you can play with. Do what I did back when L4D & TF2 came out, make a friend, meet their friends, and in turn make them your friends. I never play L4D/L4D2 vs in public lobbies anymore, I have enough friends to turn to whenever it's convenient (usually evenings).
That is exactly what I did and for the past year I have gotten enough L4D games that I have never had to turn to pubs.

drkOne

By the way, anyone that is tired of pub versus games and wants to play with GAF, just post your Steam community profile here...
Or, if you happen to play with 3 other friends, and want to play against another team... Let us know too.

And just added you Rusty. You should also get Mumble if you still don't have it!

I frankly hate friends games more than pub games. There's so much douchebaggery and whining. I got kicked from friends game for simple mistakes like missing charges or fail booms even though 90% of the time I'm better than all the losers in my team. Whatever.

drkOne

RustyNails said:
I frankly hate friends games more than pub games. There's so much douchebaggery and whining. I got kicked from friends game for simple mistakes like missing charges or fail booms even though 90% of the time I'm better than all the losers in my team. Whatever.
You should be cool playing with us. Don't worry about failing here and there, everyone does.

Baha

RustyNails said:

Sounds like you need new friends. Add me on steam (BahaFS).

Nabs

sorry about last night d. i'm just kinda sick of vanilla confogl & the l4d2 maps. i'll probably play tonight.

RustyNails said:

lol. you should play with us. listen to d. and download mumble as well. run through the quick setup / set a push to talk button, and you'll be all set

just reading the last few pages is more then enough to let me know that i wouldn't want to play with most of the regulars that frequent this thread

L4D, serious business indeed.

AgentOtaku said:
actually made it through an entire campaign using the controller, lol

you shouldn't have any problems using a controller on pc for this game. i've put about 50 hrs into the PC ver , all of them using a gamepad, and i do just fine ;)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
WickedLaharl said:
just reading the last few pages is more then enough to let me know that i wouldn't want to play with most of the regulars that frequent this thread

You have never played with us so you wouldn't actually know. Why don't you leave the opinion making to people who have?

AgentOtaku said:
actually made it through an entire campaign using the controller, lol
Nabs has played through entire campaigns with us on an acrade stick.

Nabs

ooh, d. i think i know why i didn't want to play with you guys last night! you guys were sending out invites as i was reading the last few pages in this thread. i don't know if i'll ever be the same.

stall, i'm gonna join the 360 club soon. then we'll try a versus game and see where that takes us :lol

drkOne

WickedLaharl said:

Hey, if you're that kind of person, I wouldn't want to play with you either...
One thing is certain, the last few pages you read, you have no clue what happened behind those stories, so it's really smart of you to conclude something when you don't even understand what you're reading about...

Nabs said:
ooh, d. i think i know why i didn't want to play with you guys last night! you guys were sending out invites as i was reading the last few pages in this thread. i don't know if i'll ever be the same.

stall, i'm gonna join the 360 club soon. then we'll try a versus game and see where that takes us :lol
Damn it! We should get a mod in here to clear those last pages!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RocketDarkness said:
I'm RD, and I approve of GAF's L4D Crew.
RD you need to play with us more because then we are more likely to finish up our RE5 run which was hella fun cuz we 2pro. Also, if I had to pick someone to have my back in a professional run of the game I would pick you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RocketDarkness said:
We definitely should. We should also consider co-oping our way through Dead Rising 2 if the DRM isn't too crippling.
Oh hells yeah. It has the Morningbus Approved™ pricing so I would definitely go in Day 1 with you.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
"Morningbus," "Morningbus Approved," "Morning," "Bus," "Approved," and any related combinations of the aforementioned terms are registered trademarks of Morningbus Properties, LTD., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Morningbus Industrial Solvents, LLC.

Blizzard

Banned
WickedLaharl said:

Believe it or not, I have been in some games with people like vertopci and stallion where they were surprisingly polite, or at least not openly obnoxious. I suppose it depends on your luck of the draw.

Mr. B Natural said:
The problem is that the game seems to be custom built for a-holes. They have SO many options given to them and combine that with games that can take up to an hour and a half to complete, you got yourself a magnet for anonymous a-hole-ocity. And some ways of griefing, like the ability to constantly call out votes, Valve never bothers to fix.
I suppose it's true of co-op games in general, but yes, the left 4 dead games and minecraft do seem like they are perfectly designed for griefers, though there are ways to avoid them or restrict them.

I've run into teamkilling of course, not sure if I've run into constant votes so much, but my personal favorite thing is not being able to mute individual people. I seem to recall that being possible in l4d2, but at least in l4d1, you either kick the person, mute everyone, or just suffer if they're screaming into the microphone or something. There are people whose team I wouldn't mind being on if I didn't have to hear them, as bad as that sounds. :lol

We should bring back the old microphone vs. no microphone arguments. People were so much more friendly then. :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn, pub games sound a lot more rough than I remember. I guess being a hardcore griefer in the past (Surf servers in CSS, Halo PC... dear god that community was an excellent victim) made me immune to most griefing tactics when I played Left 4 Dead 1 for the better part of it's release in pubs.

Daigoro

WickedLaharl said:
you shouldn't have any problems using a controller on pc for this game. i've put about 50 hrs into the PC ver , all of them using a gamepad, and i do just fine ;)

honestly the pad support for PC is not the same. unless there are some tweaking options that i didnt fool around enough, its wonky. felt very weird when i tried it in comparison to the 360 version.

im sure its servicable, but it was too annoying for me to even try it for more than 10 minutes after getting used to using in on the 360, and having perfect pad support in games like RE5 PC.

if i was playing on PC i would much prefer to use m/kb for an fps anyways, but that besides the point.

Blizzard said:
Believe it or not, I have been in some games with people like vertopci and stallion where they were surprisingly polite, or at least not openly obnoxious. I suppose it depends on your luck of the draw.

yeah, but reading through this thread you'd think that they were complete assholes.

seriously for someone who was interested in playing L4D with GAF for the first time, reading through this thread could very well scare them off.

kind of hard to attract people to the GAF crew when you guys are bickering and shit talking, even if some of it is in jest.

Daigoro said:
honestly the pad support for PC is not the same. unless there are some tweaking options that i didnt fool around enough, its wonky. felt very weird when i tried it in comparison to the 360 version.

im sure its servicable, but it was too annoying for me to even try it for more than 10 minutes after getting used to using in on the 360, and having perfect pad support in games like RE5 PC.

Honestly for the past few days I've played both the 360 demo and PC retail and they are not really different at all. Maybe the console version has a little more auto-aim going on, but analog response, stick speed/acceleration, etc. are all identical. If anything, the PC version has a bit of an advantage with the controller as you can disable vsync and gain some response from the sticks believe or not.

I'll still play Keyboard/Mouse but will relax with the controller from time to time.

Send me some Steam invites fools!

Steam ID: AgentOtaku

Daigoro

RocketDarkness said:

not true though. there has been plenty of bitchery in this thread.

AgentOtaku said:
Honestly for the past few days I've played both the 360 demo and PC retail and they are not really different at all. Maybe the console version has a little more auto-aim going on, but analog response, stick speed/acceleration, etc. are all identical. If anything, the PC version has a bit of an advantage with the controller as you can disable vsync and gain some response from the sticks believe or not.

I'll still play Keyboard/Mouse but will relax with the controller from time to time.

Send me some Steam invites fools!

Steam ID: AgentOtaku

with 1 or 2?

i dunno. maybe ill go back and check, but with 2 it felt really off. it wasnt lack of auto aim either, it just did not feel smooth at all. maybe something was wrong with my setup, i did have v-sync on im sure. i really dont think that was it, but anything's possible.

Daigoro

ok. i should go back and try some stuff out. not that i want to play with a pad on PC, but id like to disprove my theory that there are issues with 360 pad control on the pc versions of the game.

thanks.

Anyone wanna play some LFD2 campaign on Expert right now? Just add Dakula. I was just in a game and it seemed like one of the players just wanted us to fail at the end every time.

It's starting to get real frustrating doing games in public search. My luck must be running out or something, cause I was doing fine in all my time of playing online games, yet now I'm starting to encounter more and more griefers and such.

Also, is there any mods that are worth trying out?

Daigoro said:
not true though. there has been plenty of bitchery in this thread.

with 1 or 2?

i dunno. maybe ill go back and check, but with 2 it felt really off. it wasnt lack of auto aim either, it just did not feel smooth at all. maybe something was wrong with my setup, i did have v-sync on im sure. i really dont think that was it, but anything's possible.

both

To be sure, though both titles control pretty poorly with a gamepad in comparision to something like Borderlands, MW2, Killzone2, etc.
Valve is at fault for this as The Orange Box controlled pretty marginally as well...

Sibylus

Banned
SonfodonCD said:
Also, is there any mods that are worth trying out?
Someone really should compile a list of the best Addons for L4D1 & 2, and get it into the OP.

Left 4 Dead 1

- I Hate Mountains
- Death Aboard
- Night Terror
- Dead Echo
- Vienna Calling

Left 4 Dead 2

- Detour Ahead
- Diescraper Redux
- 2 Evil Eyes
- Dam It 2!
- Freezer Burn
- Welcome to Hell
- Deadly Dispatch

Daigoro

AgentOtaku said:
both

To be sure, though both titles control pretty poorly with a gamepad in comparision to something like Borderlands, MW2, Killzone2, etc.
Valve is at fault for this as The Orange Box controlled pretty marginally as well...

hm. not on 360 though. so maybe im not crazy after all.

also, i still say the 360 versions are worth it. i never regreted double dipping. i stand by what i said about the community there.

Aaron

I found playing randoms in campaign is fine on PC, but versus is TERRIBLE. Most of the time I ended up getting kicked, even when we were winning and I was holding up my part of the game. I think people take that mode too seriously for whatever reason.

Daigoro said:
hm. not on 360 though. so maybe im not crazy after all.

also, i still say the 360 versions are worth it. i never regreted double dipping. i stand by what i said about the community there.

Yeah I'm still gonna totally buy them

Nabs

AgentOtaku said:
lol, why would you do that?

uhh... i think i just came up with the idea and wanted to see if it would work. it did! i was a total arcade stick noob and needed the practice anyway.

Nabs said:
uhh... i think i just came up with the idea and wanted to see if it would work. it did! i was a total arcade stick noob and needed the practice anyway.

ho ...how ...what...how did you even manage it?
Movement on face buttons with looking mapped to the arcade stick?
HRAP? Madcatz?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AgentOtaku said:
lol, why would you do that?
He is 2pro.

Daigoro said:
yeah, but reading through this thread you'd think that they were complete assholes.

seriously for someone who was interested in playing L4D with GAF for the first time, reading through this thread could very well scare them off.

kind of hard to attract people to the GAF crew when you guys are bickering and shit talking, even if some of it is in jest.
Which is funny because we have no problem finding new members and it is incredibly rare for us not to have 8 people online wanting to play a game each night.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's a pretty awesome crew too, we were able to get L4D1 throwback games going this weekend and were even able to keep enough people to get a second game going immediately after one night (it started at like 3 in the morning for most of us, but damn it was worth it).

Double D

I own L4D2 on Steam. I started it once, played for 5 minutes and alt-tabbed out of it. It shows that I've played for like 72 hours. So, I've practically never touched this game and would like to change that. Is there a GAF group I can join or is there maybe some of you that want to throw out your gamertag so I can friend request you? If anyboys is up for that I'd appreciate it.

It's like a cycle :lol

A) Something happens involving VS-GAF
B) Someone who doesnt play with VS-GAF goes "wow, VS-Gaf is too pro/L4D is serious business"
C) Someone from VS-GAF says "we're a cool crew that plays for fun and anyone can join"
D) ???
E) repeat

Note: VS-GAF is a term I just made up :p

Vik_Vaughn said:
I own L4D2 on Steam. I started it once, played for 5 minutes and alt-tabbed out of it. It shows that I've played for like 72 hours. So, I've practically never touched this game and would like to change that. Is there a GAF group I can join or is there maybe some of you that want to throw out your gamertag so I can friend request you? If anyboys is up for that I'd appreciate it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23067912&postcount=10145

drkOne

Stallion Free said:
Damn, pub games sound a lot more rough than I remember.
I was playing some pubs with vert yesterday, and we were with 2 really stupid guys on our team who thought they were the best players ever.
They kept making stupid decisions and blaming it on me specifically, I started telling them how much they sucked and how they weren't good at all… They tried to kick me, but of course as we were two, it didn't go through.
On map 2, we went Infected first, vert and me had like double points they had at the end. And they were like "hey, they don't play that bad afterall", and raged after that by just rushing as Survivors.

It's not the first time it happens to me… Coordination being as shitty as it gets, they aren't able to create a situation, force me to fail by not creating any distraction, and in the end I get kicked because I'm playing with 3 dumbasses who think they are the best…
No pub I've played versus with can take advices… Which is sad…
L4D on PC does have one of the worst communities I've ever played with.

Concerning people avoiding us because of the last few pages… I'd like to know what specifically would cause that.
Branduil? Blizzard? Please, for people that weren't there and don't know exactly what happened, stop assuming things…
It's ironic, that even Blizzard is able to say that we respect him while playing, even if we're always bitching on the forums… Yet you guys take this thread so seriously you're afraid of playing with us.
And we never disrespected Brand, he griefed during our games, over and over. And because of that we decided that we didn't want him on our games anymore, because he was ruining them. Everyone who played with him knows how it was, the ones who didn't and only see this thread all go "OMG, you guys straight up decided to not play with him because he wasn't pro enough for you guys", when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Top Bottom