• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

How much can you realistically see yourselves playing this game? That's the only other worry I have, I'm not sure how much legs this game would have for me.

Blizzard

Banned
paranoidfortean said:
How much can you realistically see yourselves playing this game? That's the only other worry I have, I'm not sure how much legs this game would have for me.
I'm not planning on getting this game unless it goes on sale for $20-25 and I decide I'm actually interested.

That said, I checked last night and I've played over 196 hours of Left 4 Dead. :'( It makes me cry. (I'm also still terrible at the game)

Coin Return

Loose Slot
paranoidfortean said:
A shitload. 5 campaigns, all versus compatable, plus survivor and scavenge modes.

And plenty of DLC if Valve knows what's good for them.

Firestorm

paranoidfortean said:
I think I've played the least of all my friends who got L4D on launch day.

19h 47m 31s

Yep.

Some of my friends who played more often:
235h 13m 9s
94h 21m 48s
77h 9m 42s

Survival + Campaign + Versus will keep you busy.

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah, I only played L4d 15 hours... I think I'll get more out of this though. I really thought I played way more though. My medic playtime is more than that.

TP

paranoidfortean said:

100+ hours, just like the the first

Tim-E

paranoidfortean said:

My playtime with the first game: 60h 42m 1s

Some of my friend's playtimes:
288h 15m 20s
163h 9m 4s
112h 56m 55s

So, yeah, you can put a lot of time into this game.

I was having a lot of connection problems during this year and we have our own server ready to go for this game, so I'll be putting a fuckload of time into this.

1-D_FTW

JoeFu said:
Yeah, I only played L4d 15 hours... I think I'll get more out of this though. I really thought I played way more though. My medic playtime is more than that.

I'm pretty sure those stats were fubared (At least they are on mine.) I'd pretty much stopped playing the game when they finally started keeping track. I've built up some hours once I began playing again, but the major hours I put into the game aren't counted in my total.

Zeliard

Coin Return said:
A shitload. 5 campaigns, all versus compatable, plus survivor and scavenge modes.

Yeah, we should hopefully be getting a TF2-like stream of updates and content packs, so there should ideally be far more replay value this time around.

And I hate to be "that guy", but it really does make a bigger difference playing in daytime levels than I would have hoped. Prior to playing the L4D2 demo, I didn't think the change in scenery would be that significant, but after playing it the entire tone of the game is very noticeably different from L4D1 (and inferior, IMO). Gameplay still seems to be as fantastic as ever, though.

I'm hoping this is the game to keep me coming back for the multiplayer. I don't have many online multiplayer games besides RE5's Versus add-on (I enjoy it) and even that I don't play as much.

I'm hoping I get my money's worth and play the hell out of this.

mjc

Coin Return said:

I would bet you that they don't come out with any substantial DLC for this game, just like how they failed to deliver on L4D1's DLC. I personally hope that they follow through on the promise of DLC but I don't see it happening. A L4D3 next Christmas would be more likely at the moment. /glass half empty

paranoidfortean said:

Depends on the AI for me, as the versus mode just isn't for me. Will have plenty of co-op madness I'm sure - advanced runs, achievement runs, demoralizing expert attempts, and then just standard solo-for-the-fuck-of-it runs since its a one of a kind non-linear shooter that keeps you on your toes every single playthrough.

If the AI is still as useless at crescendo moments and finales as it is in L4D1, I'll end up playing less overall as babysitting the AI, or just watching your AI teammates wander off to the other side of the map for no reason as an ending horde tears you to shreds gets old really quick.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mjc said:
I would bet you that they don't come out with any substantial DLC for this game, just like how they failed to deliver on L4D1's DLC. I personally hope that they follow through on the promise of DLC but I don't see it happening. A L4D3 next Christmas would be more likely at the moment. /glass half empty
I really doubt there will be a L4D3 next year.

I think Valve might be a bit L4D'd out at this point. I'd imagine that team would want to move onto some new things.

(please finish Episode 3)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I prefer the tone in the demo.

By the end of my L4D1 playtime, I was a little tired of dark cities and forest areas. It got a tad monotonous after a while. It looks like L4D2 is going to have a bit more variety, in that regard (not that I'd know, the only gameplay footage I've seen is, well, the demo).

I'm only 65hours into the first game and started playing Versus 2 weeks ago :D

I did not buy l4d1 on release but I'm so hyped for this one. I think this time I'll play versus more often right from the beginning and so I'll end up with 100+ hours ;)

Red Scarlet

Blizzard said:
I'm not planning on getting this game unless it goes on sale for $20-25 and I decide I'm actually interested.

That said, I checked last night and I've played over 196 hours of Left 4 Dead. :'( It makes me cry. (I'm also still terrible at the game)

I have over 3x that and I'm still awful.

Blizz says to just keep the title as it is, I and RD liked some of the ideas. I'm sure southerners know what the title is about.

sflufan

Banned
Rez said:
I really doubt there will be a L4D3 next year.

I think Valve might be a bit L4D'd out at this point. I'd imagine that team would want to move onto some new things.

(please finish Episode 3)

In a recent interview, Chet stated that "no one" on the team wants to work on L4D3 any time soon whereas EVERYONE wanted to work on L4D2 once they were finished with the original game.

Zeliard

mjc said:

Impossible. Valve will come through.

Red Scarlet

Why aren't you on steam? I see you post, but you aren't there to blab to. WE HAVE TO PREPARE (plus one guy will not do expert to start and is bringing someone..and RD doesn't want to start on expert either).

mr stroke

paranoidfortean said:

probably 7-10 hours. Multiplayer doesn't do a lot for me, but the co-op is so good(at least with the first one) even if you run through each level only once its worth it IMO

1-D_FTW

Red Scarlet said:
I have over 3x that and I'm still awful.

Yeah. You definitely are awful
ly good.

EDIT: Haha. Just reloaded Steam and got a popup notice that Steam has just finished downloading L4D2. That was a tease.

Sloegr

paranoidfortean said:

Legs will vary depending on how willing you are to play the same content several times through, at least until community maps come along.

I tired of the first game pretty quickly, but I have people on my friend list who still put time into it each week. If you enjoy co-op and like learning maps inside and out, you'll likely get plenty of time out of the game.

Red Scarlet said:
Why aren't you on steam? I see you post, but you aren't there to blab to. WE HAVE TO PREPARE (plus one guy will not do expert to start and is bringing someone..and RD doesn't want to start on expert either).
You need braver friends!

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Got my review copy of Left 4 Dead 2. Any questions you guys have on the game I will be happy to answer. For my friends at NeoGaf. :D
to0.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
paranoidfortean said:

Guess it depends on how much you enjoy yourself.

I played L4D1 on 360 somewhere near 500 hours at least, my most played 360 game by a metric ton. And remember, for at least 5 of the months it was at it pretty much only had 2 versus campaigns, and only one of them did the vast majority of people even like playing :lol

There is an unassuming hook to this game, a delightful arcade quality where you've got to rely on friends to survive, and your own personal skill won't necessarily save the day.

The campaign mode, when I first heard about L4D that's what I thought I'd be playing all the time. But the campaign mode turned out to be kinda dull, to be honest. Once you beat it on expert, there's no reason to return at all to any of them. They're extremely predictable and there's not enough true flexibility in the scenarios. To be frank, they work as co-op experiments but only once, and since they're all short to go through it doesn't take long.

But the Versus, now that's where the fun is at. Never did I think playing in a mode where, as infected, you had to sit out for 30 seconds at a time, only to enjoy five seconds of play as a boomer would be as addicting.

Blizzard

Banned
Trying the demo now. The performance and responsiveness of the user interface seems a lot better than the previous game.

The first single-player game I started, my pistol played the sound effect like half a second after I fired. :/ Restarting seemed to fix it.

Like the last game, the sound effects are EXTREMELY loud in comparison to music or voices. I have the game sound turned nearly all the way off, and my music etc. turned all the way up and I still can't hear a lot of things, and I wouldn't want guns to be any louder in my crappy earphones.

I don't think I really like how the guns I've seen so far work. I was expecting to be turned off by tons of gore (I don't like gore), but I haven't even seen much of that. The shotgun might have blown a head or arm off, but other than that, everything just turns bloody and falls down. Zombies still skate along the ground sometimes. I feel like I'm not sure if bullets are hitting occasionally...pistol headshots don't feel like they do more than normal pistol shots, but that could be because I'm lame and playing on normal since I wanted to finish this quickly.

I used the jukebox until I got Re: Your Brains. Could barely hear it due to volume issues.

The trailer at the start of the demo looked cooler in fullscreen. The graphics overall look good. I'm confused as to how this game looks mostly better than L4D2 graphics-wise, and yet seems to hit my graphics card less (at highest settings and 4xAA no less). 720p windowed as before.

Will play the second part now.

Oh, and about this:
Yeah, we should hopefully be getting a TF2-like stream of updates and content packs, so there should ideally be far more replay value this time around.
I know this topic is played to DEATH, but yeah...people said that about the first game. :p We got SOME updates (the original four maps in versus), some balance patches, and survival (which I didn't really like). And then most recently the new crash course campaign.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
SuperAwesome said:
yeah. maybe those are just the prints for the ones you have to buy.
Maybe. But I don't believe give these posters were given out to the public. Anyone can chime in on that?

Red Scarlet

Yaaaaaaaaaaay I just beat Nocturne too. With my scrub party that I used for about 75% of the playtime. Got the TDE too (on accident).

Top Bottom