• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Stallion Free said:
Explain to me how any of Swamp Fever is built for VS then. I defy you to defend any part of that campaign and it's implementation into VS. Spawning in that map is damn near impossible to do decently as most areas are wide open. Hellen Keller could get through some of those maps because of the distance the Inf have to move across wide open spaces to actually get within attack range.

Only one of the new infected stops corner camping and camping still works fine against it as the corners camped in 2 are open enough the Surv can move over 5 feet and still be completely safe. Look at the Swamp Fever plane crescendo for a perfect example of this.
to be fair, that bit is basically a Valve-sanctioned camp arena.

Alex

Stallion Free said:
The entirety of L4D2 VS is unrefined. It doesn't feel polished or tight, just haphazard. And don't even get me started on the maps.

:lol Unrefined? I think you're focusing on some silly bits considering what the end result you're going for is.

If you're concerned with some of the parts being too open or too unrefined, then that just smacks of utter nostalgia (for a game that's only a year old) considering some of the issues and "refinement" problems in L4D1. Unless all you're going for is metagame shit.

The L4D1 maps were probably more "tight" and "refined" because there was absolutely nothing to the majority of them. They were just boring as fuck.

It's like I'm really thirteen.

Red Scarlet

Pill Harvest 3, yo.

Didn't they make it so you can spawn in 'fog' (where was fog?)? I'm hoping they fix it so you can spawn behind foliage, that'd make SF better. I've only played SF once though on vs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rez said:
to be fair, that bit is basically a Valve-sanctioned camp arena.

The water area behind the plane? I doubt that spot is sanctioned. However, the survivors can sit there and shoot anything before it gets within 30 feet of them. Even a decent spit in that area can be avoided easily.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Stallion Free said:
The water area behind the plane? I doubt that spot is sanctioned. However, the survivors can sit there and shoot anything before it gets within 30 feet of them. Even a decent spit in that area can be avoided easily.
oh, it shows how out of the Versus community I an at the moment, I didn't realise you were talking about there. I assumed you meant the wing itself. Carry on.

Firestorm

Most of the maps have too many instant-kill spots for Versus. Needs to be fixed. Still better than L4D1.
Stallion Free said:
Only one of the new infected stops corner camping and camping still works fine against it as the corners camped in 2 are open enough the Surv can move over 5 feet and still be completely safe. Look at the Swamp Fever plane crescendo for a perfect example of this.
And as soon as the Spitter has taken them out of the corner, the other three are ready for them in the open.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
vertopci said:
L4D1 automatically has a better VS mode simply because there are tanks spawns every map.

The Tank on every map part was just a cop-out on Valve's part to make up for Survivor-favored maps. Most of the levels are just waiting for the Tank to spawn since Infected can't do shit against a half-decent Survivor team.

vertopci

ahoyhoy said:
The Tank on every map part was just a cop-out on Valve's part to make up for Survivor-favored maps. Most of the levels are just waiting for the Tank to spawn since Infected can't do shit against a half-decent Survivor team.

Hey, what do you know, its the same way in L4D2! In fact, its even EASIER for the survivors!

1-D_FTW

It's been mentioned before, but this is a game designed for millions. If you're going to play large amounts of hours, dissect every inch of map for the best spots, and play with a tight group of regulars, turn the difficulty up to advanced. The game wasn't balanced with you in mind. You want changes that would damn the majority of nubs and pubs to total failure.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Firestorm said:
Most of the maps have too many instant-kill spots for Versus. Needs to be fixed. Still better than L4D1.And as soon as the Spitter has taken them out of the corner, the other three are ready for them in the open.

There are not enough instant kill spots if you ask me. And any decent group of survivors rushing can avoid them. Spitter forces people to move, but they can almost always find a new spot that still isn't in the open. Trust me. Go look at the corner camping that happens in the Dark Carnival finale. Yeah a spitter can spit there (if they don't get sniped from a mile off) but all the survivors have to do is reposition slightly and they still aren't vulnerable.

Firestorm

1-D_FTW said:
It's been mentioned before, but this is a game designed for millions. If you're going to play large amounts of hours, dissect every inch of map for the best spots, and play with a tight group of regulars, turn the difficulty up to advanced. The game wasn't balanced with you in mind. You want changes that would damn the majority of nubs and pubs to total failure.
They're arguing about Versus which is different. I don't know how Campaign is on Normal. I'm not that great at this game, but I played on Advanced my first playthrough. Survived 2/5 maps.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
The worst thing about the L4D2 maps in VS is all the invisible walls everywhere I want to go as SI!

1-D_FTW said:
turn the difficulty up to advanced. The game wasn't balanced with you in mind.

Advanced is still painfully easy just like in L4D1

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:

Asking for properly design VS maps is a change that will damn the majority of nubs? I don't think so. I can't imagine how often "nubs" must rage as SI when playing these maps against a decent team of survivors. And other changes, such as tank every map, increased boomer spawn, etc... could easily be put in as server settings.

vertopci

1-D_FTW said:

It's been mentioned before, in fact mentioned to YOU, but turning the difficulty up to advanced doesn't magically fix the game and balance it. Nor does it fucking fix the maps.

MNC

I think advanced-realism is the perfect difficulty. I find expert to be a bit cheap, by just heightening damage scales (plus I never got around to making it to the end of the demo on expert :() Plus realism adds proper difficulty that desires you to stick together

Alex

I think there should be a difficulty between Advanced and Expert, myself. The curve between the two is insanely steep, hell the curve between Advanced Realism and Expert normal is insanely steep even.

Asking for properly design VS maps is a change that will damn the majority of nubs?

You're not asking for properly designed maps, you're asking for metagame shit, like the dark hallway design of L4D1.

I dont disagree that there are spots in L4D2 that favor survivor rushing more than a tad too much, but I'm not willing to drop good map variety, visuals breathing room and being able to see shit because some bad back and forth and a mindset that simply outscoring the other team isn't enough.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Alex said:
You're not asking for properly designed maps, you're asking for metagame shit, like the dark hallway design of L4D1.

I dont disagree that there are spots in L4D2 that favor survivor rushing more than a tad too much, but I'm not willing to drop good map variety, visuals breathing room and being able to see shit because some bad back and forth and a mindset that simply outscoring the other team isn't enough.

Honestly, I would take one campaign that plays as well in VS as Blood Harvest over the five current campaigns.

Red Scarlet

marvelharvey said:
No point in my subtly trolling L4D2 in the L4D1 thread though. ;)

I'm glad I don't have to make a post every time I'm about to actually get a game going/an upcoming game.
/COUNTER-TROLL

have fun

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
Fuck yea go custom configs! :D

I enjoyed it. A couple tweaks to it and I think we have a pretty sizeable improvement. Tanks still feel so... weak though. Tier 2 kills them faster than using a molly. Mollies are pretty much outdated actually.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
I enjoyed it. A couple tweaks to it and I think we have a pretty sizeable improvement. Tanks still feel so... weak though. Tier 2 kills them faster than using a molly. Mollies are pretty much outdated actually.

Tanks actually has a faster punch recharge time. 1 second instead of 1.5. Not that much but still a slight buff. He does need more though imo.

Also the new awesome smoker tongue we had has already been nerfed :( It's still longer than the default one though.

edit: fuck doublepost :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
Tanks actually has a faster punch recharge time. 1 second instead of 1.5. Not that much but still a slight buff. He does need more though imo.

Also the new awesome smoker tongue we had has already been nerfed :( It's still longer than the default one though.

If they limit it to tier 1 except for finale, tank would feel a lot better. Especially when you are tank and there are no hittables. Both tanks in the love tunnel were taken down so easily it made me kinda sad.

Red Scarlet

What all is included in tier 1 now? I don't even bother with the t1 shotguns anymore, and the only other t1's I'm aware of are the two smg's and the old sniper? What about melee weapons? What tier were they?

I'm uploading the dem files now, was a fun first time playing that campaign on vs.

If Stallion didn't tell you Nabs, I went from 6000 to 5743 after your GL hit me, so that's..257? But I'm not sure if it matters being a direct hit or what with it.

Does ShadowLink post here? Wanna know what I did that was bullshitty at the end. :lol

And GO SPITTER

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Red Scarlet said:
What all is included in tier 1 now? I don't even bother with the t1 shotguns anymore, and the only other t1's I'm aware of are the two smg's and the old sniper? What about melee weapons? What tier were they?

I'm uploading the dem files now, was a fun first time playing that campaign on vs.

If Stallion didn't tell you Nabs, I went from 6000 to 5743 after your GL hit me, so that's..257? But I'm not sure if it matters being a direct hit or what with it.

Does ShadowLink post here? Wanna know what I did that was bullshitty at the end. :lol

And GO SPITTER

Tier 1 is the 2 pump shotties, the 2 uzis, and the old sniper. Melee weapons wouldn't really be put in a tier I guess. And of course I told Nabs!

Red Scarlet

Stallion Free said:
Tier 1 is the 2 pump shotties, the 2 uzis, and the old sniper. Melee weapons wouldn't really be put in a tier I guess. And of course I told Nabs!

That'd be pretty boring though, just those weapons. :(

I imagine they'll eventually nerf the shotgun damage on tanks.

The .dem files are almost up if anyone wants to grab them.

vertopci

Nabs said:
vert lying again.

About what?!?! god damn nabs!

Also, tier 2 can't be taken out of L4D2 since that would mean removing like...10 weapons. It was fine in L4D1 where only two weapons got removed but it wouldn't work for L4D2.

Red Scarlet

You mean fuckin nabs. Damn, I thought I hit him with 2 rocks, the last one being the last incap, but I only hit him with 1.

I'm still not really sure when (or if I should ever) it's the better time to kamikaze as a spitter or if I should just always stay away..

Red Scarlet

vertopci said:
Only 5 games of vs. wat

I played Dead Center (lost), Swamp Fever (won), Dead Center (lost), then Hard Rain last night or the night before (won), then Dark Carnival tonight.

Steam says I'm 24-4 (it said I was 18-3 after one of the achievement wipes and before I ever played a vs match).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
About what?!?! god damn nabs!

Also, tier 2 can't be taken out of L4D2 since that would mean removing like...10 weapons. It was fine in L4D1 where only two weapons got removed but it wouldn't work for L4D2.

Well tank needs to be buffed in some other way then because you witnessed how helpless they can be in a area like those love tunnels where the other SI also have trouble landing attacks.

Vert we know you stealth edit configs in your favor.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
Well tank needs to be buffed in some other way then because you witnessed how helpless they can be in a area like those love tunnels where the other SI also have trouble landing attacks.

Vert we know you stealth edit configs in your favor.

I made a secret edit to my config that gives my steamID 1000 more hp! That's why we won today!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
I made a secret edit to my config that gives my steamID 1000 more hp! That's why we won today!

Niceeee. I mean it was only fair because you had to balance out Nabs and Link being on the same team.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
Niceeee. I mean it was only fair because you had to balance out Nabs and Link being on the same team.

Yea. I also gave myself a katana at the start of each map! Can't believe you guys didn't notice!

Nice fail Nabs and Link :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
Yea. I also gave myself a katana at the start of each map! Can't believe you guys didn't notice!

I wouldn't be surprised but the director was spamming katanas everywhere so we didn't notice.

Katanas are the shit though.

vertopci

vertopci said:
If anyone is interested in joining a GAF L4D league, let me know so I can invite you to it. Only gaffers are allowed since it wouldn't be a GAF League otherwise. :lol

The league will be split up into two sections. Scavenge and Versus. The Versus part requires you to have both L4D1 and L4D2. For scavenge, obviously you only need L4D2. You can take part in just one of them or both sections. However, if doing both, the teams for both sections must be same. So you can't be on Team X for scavenge and Team Y for VS. Each team can have up to 6 members. Obviously a minimum of 4 is required.

If you're interested, message me on steam or send me a PM on gaf. Make sure to let me know if you have a team comprised of gaffers already or if you don't. Also make sure to tell me which section(s) you want to take part in.

Actual league play will start sometime after christmas so finals for everyone are finished and shit.

kthx

Bumping because we still need more people. Come on GAF! If shitty non-gaming forums can get a mini-league together, I'm sure a GAMING forum can!

Top Bottom