• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legendary and Universal Pictures announce the cast for WARCRAFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

megamerican

Not very exciting. I don't really care for Ben Foster. He's too intense and same-y in every role I've seen him in.

Paula Patton is the hot lesbian teacher in Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry Present Lee Daniels' Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire Whose Real Name is Ramona Lofton.

And she's also married to Robin Thicke Has a Big Dick.

Paula Patton is the hot lesbian teacher in Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry Present Lee Daniels' Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire Whose Real Name is Ramona Lofton.

And she's also married to Robin Thicke Has a Big Dick.

She's also in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

I guess Colin Farrell fell through? I thought that might've been cool to see.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You could get DDL to sign on to play Thrall and it wouldn't change the fact that the story has to have some kind of relationship to the utterly absurd Warcraft storyline. I can't wait to see who's gonna be playing the Pandaren racial leader.

You could get DDL to sign on to play Thrall and it wouldn't change the fact that the story has to have some kind of relationship to the utterly absurd Warcraft storyline. I can't wait to see who's gonna be playing the Pandaren racial leader.

We'll find out in 2025 when they get that far in the story, this film is all Lothar/Durotan/Orcs and Humans stuff, which is before the storyline turns completely into a power metal album

Paula Patton is amazingly gorgeous. I watched Ghost Protocol again last night and wow when she's on screen I sort of blank out.

I met Ben Foster during a Q+A for The Messenger back in 2009. He was tipsy. It was great.

Everyone should see that movie, he's incredible in it.

I think I'll be the only person who watches this that will have spent more time watching the movie than playing the game.

Loxley

I don't play the games but is it going to be animated or live action?

Live action.

Might as well post this here too, what we learned about the film from this year's Blizzcon:

Film stuff:

- The film will take place during the events of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (the first Warcraft game - released in 1994), and will detail the first clash between, well, Orcs and Humans.
- Lothar and Durotan are the focus of the film
- Duncan Jones wanted to tell the origin of how these two races/cultures first encountered each other as opposed to jumping in the middle of a more recent Warcraft storyline.
- Metzen said they danced around a few different stories over the years but Duncan really wanted to tell this one
- The original screenplay (presumably the one from when Sam Raimi was still attached to direct) was apparently very "Alliance-centric". Jones wanted to spread the love out more evenly between the two factions.
- Jones wants the audience to be able to feel empathy for Orc heroes as much as the human ones.
- Orcs will be guys in suits/prosthetics with digital enhancements - as opposed to completely CGI.
- Trying to make the Orcs photo-realstic while also keeping them in that distinct Warcraft style is a challenge
- Orcs won't be monsters, they'll have just as much personality as the humans
- The Orc language is being fully fleshed out for the film, moreso than it ever was in the games
- Some characters will be completely CGI creations with motion-capture
- Film's aesthetic said to be a combination of "Avatar meets Game of Thrones" in terms of CGI-to-non-CGI
- Blizzard's creatives are heavily involved with the production, but obviously there is a balance between their input and the Hollywood guys
- The film will feature "the biggest swords you'll ever see on a human".
- WoW's style is difficult when approaching it from a practical, real perspective. Small things like shoulder-pad size and unsheathing weapons (when weapons in the Warcraft universe are so huge they don't have scabbards) - are things they've had to figure out how to translate to live-action and not make it silly.
- The film's tone will be "like Gladiator", very "down in the dirt, covered in grime"
- Film is not planned to be the start of a trilogy, Jones gives the indication that the movie will tell it's own story. But of course, if the film is successful, they'd love to keep making them.
- Speaking on the (lack of) diversity in the main cast of characters during this time in Warcraft's history, Rob Pardo acknowledges that it's mostly "Young white guys". This is mostly because - at the time of writing Orcs & Humans - the team at Blizzard were just a bunch of young white guys, so they were just writing what they knew.
- However, the Hollywood people have been pushing for more diversity, especially women. Jones says that there are a number of opportunities for strong female leads in the film based on the lore.
- "Why a movie and not a TV series?" - audience question. Metzen says they've been working on the film for so long that these days they could totally see it as a TV series thanks to Game of Thrones, but six or seven years ago, no way. It started as a film, so it'll stay a film.
- The film is cast for the most part.
- Film will likely be PG-13 (no real surprise), because you can get away with a lot in a PG-13 film these days.

Technical stuff:

- Bill Westenoffer is the VFX supervisor for the film (Recently won an Oscar for The Life of Pi, also worked on effects for The Golden Compass and the Chronicles of Narnia films)
- "Incredible team" at ILM will handle the film's effects
- Simon Duggin is the film's cinematographer (The Great Gatsby, i Robot)
- Paul Hirsch will edit the film (Worked with Jones on all of his previous films as well as The Empire Strikes Back and Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Not specifically film stuff:

- Jones has played every Warcraft game to date, and other MMOs for years, was a clan leader in Ultima Online.
- Bill Westenoffer has been playing WoW since the alpha test. While working on VFX for The Golden Compass, he'd stay up until 2:00am to raid with his guild.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Based on when the movie takes place, I'd guess Paula Patton is playing Garona as that's the only significant female character. Assuming she isn't playing a new character, which is totally possible

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We'll find out in 2025 when they get that far in the story, this film is all Lothar/Durotan/Orcs and Humans stuff, which is before the storyline turns completely into a power metal album

When are they including the part where 7 million players time travel to hang out with Durotan?

Rookje

Nobody saw Pacific Rim?

pacific-rim-rob-kazinsky-idris-elba.jpg

bengraven

Placing bets on Patton being Garona?

medivhgarona.jpg

Which means one of these white guys is probably Medivh and we'll see Khadgar, Lothar, and Llane .

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

I dont think its going to be the WoW...story , that was an MMO

the warcraft storyline is based on the RTS's , standard fantasy , sword and sorcery fare, with some awesome heroes in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom