• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legendary and Universal Pictures announce the cast for WARCRAFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Rob Kazinsky as come a long way since eastenders, pacific rim and now this

And True Blood playing the main villain in the last season.

Mad how he's just exploded out of nowhere after all this time, bagging a hit show and 2 blockbuster films as part of the primary cast.

Good for him. I've always liked him.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
To make this movie you need a 200m budget at least, I really doubt this is going to be the case. It can't feel like there's just 1000 humans and orcs.

Talk about taking something that has a lot of original value and turn it into your typical humans VS orcs movie.

Because we've had so many of those.

Same here, I think I'm one of maybe eight people on GAF who watches Hell on Wheels, hes fantastic.

Make me the ninth, he's amazing! And he has such a good look. I was thinking the other days that with the right hair/facial hair combo some Humans in game bear a striking resemblance

aku:jiki

Always happy to see Ben Foster get more work. I would've checked this out regardless but his presence with Duncan Jones directing gives me actual hope. Too bad they won't have final control and the end result will be a homogenized, focus-tested load of garbage, as per usual.

Might as well post this here too, what we learned about the film from this year's Blizzcon:
Serious LOL at the "distinct Warcraft style" claim.

Yeah... It was pretty distinct when it was called Warhammer.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I just read that, fuck. Only hope is that the sequels, if any are made, are many generations later. But they would never do that, they'll want to keep the same lead actors. Best they could do is end with Thrall being born and taken captive, and make the sequel with him older.

Talk about taking something that has a lot of original value and turn it into your typical humans VS orcs movie. Doesn't matter what the visuals would be, as soon as people know it's humans and orcs, it's over. At least it should have orc wizards, which is a bit unexpected to the average-joe.

Does that mean no dwarves either? If none of the other races are there day one, it's going to be fucking stupid to bring a bunch of them in later movies, which means it won't happen.

i think you're overreacting a bit. the other races were involved in some form politically, but they're obviously not as huge as humans in the first game. we'll for sure see some other races, but there's so many stories in Warcraft that warrant their own movies, so they have to keep it smaller and simpler to gain popularity and prove it is a marketable product, and then they can branch out into the different and more complex stories

it'll definitely be a new "lord of the rings" -- the hobbit isn't really filling that role, even though it is trying, so there isn't really any other big fantasy franchise that is going on at the moment. its a good moment for a movie like this to be developed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You're probably right. My point is they have to feature the other races in some form. I think the taurens is unlikely in the first movie (alliance races would be easier to fit in some way), but at least give a glimpse that there are many other races, the world needs to feel rich and make people interested in seeing more of it. Unlike LOTR, there's potential to open it in the sequels.

Ideally I think the first movie should follow human leads, but give us a glimpse that the orcs aren't your usual evil orcs, and end with the birth of Thrall. Sequel would be about Thrall exclusively as the lead. I don't believe Hollywood has the balls to do it because people won't want to watch a movie about orcs, or so Hollywood thinks. But Hellboy kinda of makes me think otherwise, that it can be done, especially if they take a little bit of liberties with the story.

davepoobond

You're probably right. My point is they have to feature the other races in some form. I think the taurens is unlikely in the first movie (alliance races would be easier to fit in some way), but at least give a glimpse that there are many other races, the world needs to feel rich and make people interested in seeing more of it. Unlike LOTR, there's potential to open it in the sequels.

Ideally I think the first movie should follow human leads, but give us a glimpse that the orcs aren't your usual evil orcs, and end with the birth of Thrall. Sequel would be about Thrall exclusively as the lead. I don't believe Hollywood has the balls to do it because people won't want to watch a movie about orcs, or so Hollywood thinks. But Hellboy kinda of makes me think otherwise, that it can be done, especially if they take a little bit of liberties with the story.

i think they're going to take a balanced approach with the movie. they know they have to have the Horde take a prominent role since they are the more popular faction within the fanbase. The Alliance faction is definitely more appealing to regular moviegoers, so i have confidence they'll make a good balanced movie between the two factions. They need to establish the Orcs as more than mindless drones for attacking, otherwise they really pigeonhole themselves for any future sequels that might come around.

and that's the point of the whole thing, anyway -- to make more movies out of the franchise. I don't think anyone thought "let's make 1 movie in the warcraft universe and that's it." They need to plan it out for potential sequels as well.

sqwarlock

i think they're going to take a balanced approach with the movie. they know they have to have the Horde take a prominent role since they are the more popular faction within the fanbase. The Alliance faction is definitely more appealing to regular moviegoers, so i have confidence they'll make a good balanced movie between the two factions. They need to establish the Orcs as more than mindless drones for attacking, otherwise they really pigeonhole themselves for any future sequels that might come around.

and that's the point of the whole thing, anyway -- to make more movies out of the franchise. I don't think anyone thought "let's make 1 movie in the warcraft universe and that's it." They need to plan it out for potential sequels as well.

Metzen even hinted at Blizzcon that he'd love to see a Game of Thrones style miniseries for Warcraft. If it's successful, this won't be the only piece of Warcraft we see on a screen. Not by a long shot.

davepoobond

Metzen even hinted at Blizzcon that he'd love to see a Game of Thrones style miniseries for Warcraft. If it's successful, this won't be the only piece of Warcraft we see on a screen. Not by a long shot.

the whole reason we're getting warlords of draenor is so that they can tie in the movie with the game, even though they can't really make a "normal" movie tie-in since WoW is still making money and Blizzard doesn't just license out their franchises to other people to make cheap cash-ins on. They leave that for themselves.

so, yeah, they're pretty much going to start expanding it into tons of things and getting a successful movie franchise has a lot less barriers than being a "gaming" franchise

jaxword

That's kind of an insult to Martin, as Metzen is such an awful writer.

I like Starcraft and Warcraft, but Metzen is really bad for horribly contrived plots and characterizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom