• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy. I built mine a couple weeks back and i think it was one of the more enjoyable UCS builds so far... The finished thing looks really good and busy in a good way! Make sure you display it so that people can look at it at eye level or slightly below though. I put mine way too high so you only see it from underneath mostly :( Still amazing though.

Good tip, thanks! My current shelf is full and also a little higher than eye level. I'll have to pick up another shelf for this. Do you have a rough size of it built? I like the IKEA LACK shelves, but they're only about 10" deep so I'm not sure if this'll fit.

I was pretty surprised/confused about it. I actually tried to talk it down to the Slave One but she knew I had mentioned Ewok Village would probably go out of print first and pushed me towards that one.

She also loves the Ewoks so she's pretty excited to have a bunch of Ewok minifigs around the house. haha
I effed up and bought Slave 1 before EW or Sandcrawler.
Is your name a reference to the Seinfeld Keith Hernandez episode?

Yes.

LGM!

Boogiepop

Built bag 1 of the Pet Shop modular, which is my first modular, and dang this thing is dense. Which is awesome! Also expects you to pay a lot more attention than anything I'd ever built in the past (IE a lot of stuff can happen in a single set), but that's also fine by me. Two random little notes: not a huge deal, but it's kind of funny that with all the detail that's gone into the set, the cellar is left with a straight up "grass" floor. I don't really mind, just feels a little odd. The more noticeable thing was... there's actually parts included that are different from all the images on the box/in the instructions. As in, the bars around the garden in the front have two pegs (is that the right term? Or is it "studs"? Not used to talking Lego online) and then a flat center, whereas mine have four all across the top. Again, not a thing I'm particularly concerned about, but how often does something like that happen, anyway?

Markus

$^#%&#*@!

When will I learn to not delay purchases on LEGO S@H. I missed the Scooby Doo 3 pack sale. It's something like 20% off plus VIP plus Kai dragon polybag. It was just there last night. I should have learned after I delayed the first time and missed the free Chicken suit guy with the same deal. Oh well, I really didn't need an extra Mystery Machine and the mummy one. I should be able to get Castle set for about 20% off eventually.

Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion for US$62 shipped

Use coupon code 15NOW ("for new customers)

https://jet.com/product/LEGO-Scooby-Doo-Mystery-Mansion-75904/32b336bfc9ab495db893b6ca9b427537

Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion for US$62 shipped

Use coupon code 15NOW ("for new customers)

https://jet.com/product/LEGO-Scooby-Doo-Mystery-Mansion-75904/32b336bfc9ab495db893b6ca9b427537

Thanks
lego-thank-you.jpg

Good tip, thanks! My current shelf is full and also a little higher than eye level. I'll have to pick up another shelf for this. Do you have a rough size of it built? I like the IKEA LACK shelves, but they're only about 10" deep so I'm not sure if this'll fit.

Hmmm i'm not at home right now so i can't check BUT you could check Brickset, they always have dimensions for every set up, not sure if depth is included though...

I have some LACKs as well and i'd say it would be a tight fit...

Received my Lego S@H order already!

Picture of the old and new wedding sets. Like the old minifigs a lot better, but there are so many more pieces in the new set. Think I might have to order another one and leave this one in the box as well. Looks like a nice little display set.

Just noticed that the old set does not have a number on the box.

Ponn

Banned
Brrrnng Brrrng!

'Whats up G-Dog?! Party at the GCPD? We will be right there!"

Lets get our Batoosie on!

Umm, who are you?

Don't you remember me, it's me Rogaine the Boy Wonderbread!

Whatever, its Ride or Die time!!

I was surprised how big this part ended up being, heres a sort of comparison shot to the Ferris Wheel.

These were some interesting colored flat pieces on top of the roof. Like a burnt orange or rust colored. i think they are using some of these in the new Ninjago sets. This build has been a shitload of fun. Lots of really neat new techniques i'm picking up. Lots of really useful pieces in this set to moc other buildings. I had already ordered some pieces from bricks and pieces from this set like the rock pieces to make the front look a little less bare.

wetwired

In San fran, managed to make it to a target, not a lot of lego compared to what I expected. They did have plenty of scooby Doo which is hard to find in Australia now. Tempted to pick up a second mystery machine.

I'm rather certain it's going to be on my "Best Of" list for 2016, for what it's worth.

I want to love it, I really do, even Jang's review almost swung me toward it but I just can't accept that look to it...

Even though I loved the unorthodox looking Blacktron Renegade

I want to love it, I really do, even Jang's review almost swung me toward it but I just can't accept that look to it...

Even though I loved the unorthodox looking Blacktron Renegade
The ship is ugly. There is no getting around it. It looks like a lame wanna be B Wing.

But man, dat build. So many awesome techniques hiding in it, and so much detail crammed into a set that size. This set is all about the build, and it delivers big time on that.

ghostmind

I already have the First Order Troop Transport, I meant the Rebel U-like ship.

What about the stickers? Worried I will mess it up on such a good ship. I hear it is riddled with it.

There are a ton of stickers, but due to the amount of greebling and textures on this ship, I think you can skip them and it will still look great.

Chuck

Still without luck
Hey guys, somewhat old question but I've been out of it for a bit. Does anyone know if Chima was a failure?

kr2t0s

Not sure how to exactly measure "failure" for Lego as I'm sure the line made money.

But I would say it has been a failure. If I remember correctly they killed off Ninjago when they brought out Chima. However Ninjago's popularity continued to rise so much that Ninjago returned. Not only as a toy line but all tv show, books, etc. correct me if I'm wrong but I think the next big Lego theatrical movie is a Ninjago movie.

So Chima definitely failed as a successor to Ninjago. The Ninjago toy line has definitely been a stronger toy line IMO. The Airjitzu temple is downright amazing.

I'd also say Nexo Knights is a stronger line compared to Chima but not sure how it's selling.

If Lego silently killed off Chima I don't think anyone would care or notice.

Random thought talking about pieces and stuff: is there something like a two-sided single piece (don't even really know the terms, haha). Like one of the little single stud circle pieces, but both sides go into other pieces instead? I know they exist with a single square piece like perpendicular to them IIRC, but I don't think I've seen them standalone ever. I can't imagine it would be a super useful thing, but I'd think every once in a while it'd be good to be able to attach two pieces facing in the opposite direction.

Just a random thought I had the other night, as it's a "simple" piece in theory, but like I've said I've never seen one.

Here's another piece that has two studs on opposite sides.

http://brickset.com/parts/4640843

TDathe3.jpg

Chuck

Still without luck
Not sure how to exactly measure "failure" for Lego as I'm sure the line made money.

But I would say it has been a failure. If I remember correctly they killed off Ninjago when they brought out Chima. However Ninjago's popularity continued to rise so much that Ninjago returned. Not only as a toy line but all tv show, books, etc. correct me if I'm wrong but I think the next big Lego theatrical movie is a Ninjago movie.

So Chima definitely failed as a successor to Ninjago. The Ninjago toy line has definitely been a stronger toy line IMO. The Airjitzu temple is downright amazing.

I'd also say Nexo Knights is a stronger line compared to Chima but not sure how it's selling.

If Lego silently killed off Chima I don't think anyone would care or notice.

They over produced Chima sets hoping it would be really popular

Yeah this was all my assumption. They tried to will a new Ninjago into being but it didn't stick. A shame, I suppose. A furry like myself obviously has a bit of interest in all things animal people, but oh well.

Built bag 1 of the Pet Shop modular, which is my first modular, and dang this thing is dense. Which is awesome! Also expects you to pay a lot more attention than anything I'd ever built in the past (IE a lot of stuff can happen in a single set), but that's also fine by me. Two random little notes: not a huge deal, but it's kind of funny that with all the detail that's gone into the set, the cellar is left with a straight up "grass" floor. I don't really mind, just feels a little odd. The more noticeable thing was... there's actually parts included that are different from all the images on the box/in the instructions. As in, the bars around the garden in the front have two pegs (is that the right term? Or is it "studs"? Not used to talking Lego online) and then a flat center, whereas mine have four all across the top. Again, not a thing I'm particularly concerned about, but how often does something like that happen, anyway?

Some parts have been updated since the set was first released, like those railings and the skis used over the door.

It happens now and then when a set is kept in production for so long. Pet Shop is the second oldest major set out now, and they're still producing more.

neonglow

Does it look like they're having more success willing Nexo Knights into being a success or do you guys think it'll end up just like Chima? For me, the sets do look nice but nothing outstanding.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I really like the Chima animal minifigures. Reminds me of Fabuland, which I had a lot of as a child. They're cool and I'd like to collect more of them. Too bad I'm not a fan of most Chima sets being vehicles.

I really like the Chima animal minifigures. Reminds me of Fabuland, which I had a lot of as a child. They're cool and I'd like to collect more of them. Too bad I'm not a fan of most Chima sets being vehicles.
I collected most of the bird guys and the elephants people. The figures are cool but most vehicle and play sets were pretty boring.

So Lego DID silently kill off Chima then eh? That explains why i can't find any Chima sets on the Lego shop site anymore except for a bunch of keychains etc.

I kinda wanted that giant snow mammoth set from Chima but since I never picked it up, I just figured I never really wanted it that badly. It does remind me I need to pick up some Fabuland minifigs though

Built Sonic Boom last night and I loved it. I'll take some side by sides with Blue Power Jet tonight.

I just set up a budget 3 light photo studio.

Does it look like they're having more success willing Nexo Knights into being a success or do you guys think it'll end up just like Chima? For me, the sets do look nice but nothing outstanding.

As any business would phrase it, TLG is "heavily invested" in Nexo Knights. This will be true for any other future themes such as Ninjago, Chima, and Nexo Knights.
I find the business aspect of LEGO very interesting especially since they are highlighted a lot about how LEGO accomplished their turnaround from near bankruptcy. Jorgen (we're on a first name basis) stated he follows a 3-5 year rule for creating "adjacencies" to the business. I believe those IP's fall under that category. They all have a set end life (which as we saw can be extended if hugely successful such as Ninjago). End of life cycles for a non-evergreen theme or sub-theme isn't new. I would just categorize Ninjago, Chima, and Nexo-Knights as IP themes with a longer planned cycle.

I like the minifigs too with one major complaint. The prints were too specific to the theme which makes them not too reusable. They could have easily been used a "mascot" figs or other uses if the prints were more generic fuzzy animal prints. i.e. If the skunk torso didn't have the vines and was just plain black and white fur I could reuse it easily. I could just replace the more specific legs with plain black ones.

The demand for a lot of the Chima minifigs is pretty low so you can find them at low prices on Bricklink.

So Lego DID silently kill off Chima then eh? That explains why i can't find any Chima sets on the Lego shop site anymore except for a bunch of keychains etc.

I think they were quite clear that summer 2015 would be the last small Chima wave.

What Siegfried wrote. Chima had a planned lifetime. Since LEGO completed the life of the accompanying TV show, I assume Chima faired at least OK in sales. Jorgen would have pulled the plug on it if it was losing a lot of money.
Ninjago was a huge hit so by comparison it's easy to look at Chima as a failure. I never watched Chima cartoon, but I have watched Ninjago and Nexo Knights with my kids. Nexo Knights I think will do better than Chima, but not nearly as good as Ninjago.

Built Sonic Boom last night and I loved it. I'll take some side by sides with Blue Power Jet tonight.

I just set up a budget 3 light photo studio.

3 desklamps with adjustable necks is my light studio. Made sure I got daylight temperature bulbs. Wrong type of bulbs will alter color.
Are you planning something more professional?

Boogiepop

Some parts have been updated since the set was first released, like those railings and the skis used over the door.

It happens now and then when a set is kept in production for so long. Pet Shop is the second oldest major set out now, and they're still producing more.
Interesting, thanks for the info!

Also, I've now completed the first half/building of the pet shop set, and... it's really, really nice. My first experience with a modular, and I'm super impressed. I actually ordered the current Lego police station recently, and you can really see the difference between the two. Like, the police station is still plenty nice, but it's clearly a playset, whereas the pet shop building feels like a really nice model instead. The only real issue I have is that the arched window piece doesn't have glass to it, which feels like a shame. I suppose I can write it off as that floor being "under construction" since it's the one with the painter, though I definitely would've preferred the windows to be "complete." Still a minor issue in a great little model, though.

Btw, how many people in here actually have all/most of the modulars? Must look pretty impressive all together. It's a shame that I'm going to be missing out on quite a few of them even when I catch up to what's out, but looking at the prices on the early ones at least prevents me from being tempted to purchase any of the out of print ones, even at the more "reasonable" level of being at like $300 (since while I could maaaaybe justify paying that once if it'd get me a complete set, there's no way I'm paying like $2000 for a Lego set, so I'm stuck with an incomplete collection either way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom