• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbro72

I, too, hit up the LEGO store this morning. Had a $50 visa gc I'd been saving so walked out with the technic heavy lift copter. They had no Arocs out on the shelf, no brick banks, I didn't notice any GB HQs, but wasn't looking for it, either. Had one Batcave out that I looked at but that will be a purchase for a later time. I'll be placing a bigger order online in a couple days when I will be sure it won't be delivered while out of town later this week.

Spocker

Arocs finished, last few photos then!

So yeah, there we go. Love it love it love it. Going to buy the Bucket Wheel Excavator. Oh God. What have I done?

Total build time was around 12 hours I reckon.

My wallet hates you, got inspired by your pics and the double VIP and ordered one for myself, should be arriving during the week.

I guess this will suck me in to the technic world once again, the excavator looks interesting too...

ghostmind

Ghostmind can do it if he wants to using sith mind tricks

qTJsOhy.gif

Greetings...

I, too, hit up the LEGO store this morning. Had a $50 visa gc I'd been saving so walked out with the technic heavy lift copter. They had no Arocs out on the shelf, no brick banks, I didn't notice any GB HQs, but wasn't looking for it, either. Had one Batcave out that I looked at but that will be a purchase for a later time. I'll be placing a bigger order online in a couple days when I will be sure it won't be delivered while out of town later this week.

I have to admit that the Batcave is a hell of a lot more impressive in person. I had very little interest in it before seeing the final product today. Interestingly I felt the opposite about the GBHQ - it didn't blow me away.

Huh...isn't this a strain on the studs?

I'm really surprised to see that connection being used in an official set. I always thought that was a firm no-no.

Are they maybe just not counting it as a "connection"?

Maybe it's considered the same as putting items in dustbins or something. The Parisian Restaurant has you just balance two yellow bricks at one point.

8bit

Knows the Score
Hmm. Guess illegal connections are now legal. They use one when building Janine's desk in the Firehouse HQ.

IIRC there's one in either the Big Bang Theory or Burj Khalifa (recently built both and was a little surprised but didn't note which it was)

Anyway, got round to Doctor Who today, took me a bit longer than I thought and it was pretty interesting. The console is especially clever. Doesn't need two Daleks though.

IIRC there's one in either the Big Bang Theory or Burj Khalifa (recently built both and was a little surprised but didn't note which it was)

Anyway, got round to Doctor Who today, took me a bit longer than I thought and it was pretty interesting. The console is especially clever. Doesn't need two Daleks though.

this

The original design had a Cyberman minifig and they already produced one for Dimensions so why not add one here?

ghostmind

TLG seems to be loosening the restrictions on what is "legal" or not for connections in the last couple years.

Did they go back and reexamine their own rulebooks, or is QA letting a lot more through for the sake of sales?

Boogiepop

Random thought talking about pieces and stuff: is there something like a two-sided single piece (don't even really know the terms, haha). Like one of the little single stud circle pieces, but both sides go into other pieces instead? I know they exist with a single square piece like perpendicular to them IIRC, but I don't think I've seen them standalone ever. I can't imagine it would be a super useful thing, but I'd think every once in a while it'd be good to be able to attach two pieces facing in the opposite direction.

Just a random thought I had the other night, as it's a "simple" piece in theory, but like I've said I've never seen one.

I didn't go slow but I took my time and the first floor has taken me about 4 hours, and apparently bag 4 (where I stopped) is still first floor as well.
My bad. Bag 4 is the support beam and interior detail on the first floor. Bag 5 begins the second floor. Just finished the second of three corners for the second floor and calling it a night. I am pacing this instead of a sprint.

Overall I am really enjoying it, but notice many of the same issues I had with Simpsons House. The main structure build is average to above average, but the real cool parts of the set are the interior details. After Simpson's House and part of this, it is apparent that the small micro builds and interior details are where Marcos Bessa shines the most. Although, I would like to see him take on a Modular building that he creates from scratch instead of basing it on a preexisting property.

Rootbeer

Banned
How long do you guys think I have to snag a Palace Cinema? I am considering grabbing it before it's discontinued. I've kept ignoring it since the opinion is it ranks really low against other modulars, but I think it's still worth getting at $150 if I can manage to budget it in.

Anyways, if anyone spots a 'retiring soon' logo on it in the coming months please speak up!

Jimbro72

I have to admit that the Batcave is a hell of a lot more impressive in person. I had very little interest in it before seeing the final product today. Interestingly I felt the opposite about the GBHQ - it didn't blow me away.

Oddly enough, I didn't even check out or see the Batcave on display (or the GBHQ, for that matter). Just saw the box on the shelf. I tend to try to not look too closely at displayed sets if it's something I will eventually put together myself. I feel like it's spoiling the size of it and some of the details by checking it out in person and I'd rather save that for when I build it myself. I know, weird. That said, I did take an extended gaze at the Arocs from a distance. Damn, that thing is quite large. I want it. Like the Batcave, it's another one I'll be picking up a bit later this year.

Random thought talking about pieces and stuff: is there something like a two-sided single piece (don't even really know the terms, haha). Like one of the little single stud circle pieces, but both sides go into other pieces instead? I know they exist with a single square piece like perpendicular to them IIRC, but I don't think I've seen them standalone ever. I can't imagine it would be a super useful thing, but I'd think every once in a while it'd be good to be able to attach two pieces facing in the opposite direction.

Just a random thought I had the other night, as it's a "simple" piece in theory, but like I've said I've never seen one.

Not really. It would be "cheating" to have parts like that. However, there are tons of ways to achieve the effect with other parts. The ring part on the 1x1 with ring can connect in both ways. The CMF strongman weights (also used for hubcaps on Ecto-1) also have connections on both sides, but they are a bit wider. You can also use a bar with two round bricks or plates placed on it in opposite directions. Etc, etc.

Kyari

Some of you may remember my previous Pirate Ship dilemma from January; I bought the pirate ship on retirement clearance and realised immediately after that I needed more boats!

Yesterday I made steps toward solving this from the most unlikely of sources: Wilko.

Wilko are a UK store chain that sell a bit of everything and recently started carrying their own knock off brand of Lego. It all looks very bootleg on the shelves and their packaging design is awful but for £7 I decided to give this one a go:

0414825_l.jpg

http://www.wilko.com/construction/blox-pirate-ship-large-set/invt/0414825

The bricks have a weird waxy texture to them, and I have no intention of mixing them with the real stuff, but honestly I feel like I could have done a lot worse for this £7 price point.
The set is about 340 pieces, and builds a small ship that is dwarfed by the full size thing, but looks decent along side it. Even comes with a cloth sail. Hilariously the cannon it comes with is absolutely a recast Lego cannon with none of the firing workings.

Also hilariously the promo pictures and box art are miss-built. Because the sail and mast do not go where they are pictured above, they sit closer to the middle.

I'll take some pics of it along side the Lego ship when I get home later today probably for scale.

Some of you may remember my previous Pirate Ship dilemma from January; I bought the pirate ship on retirement clearance and realised immediately after that I needed more boats!.
My biggest Lego regret is not picking up Queen Anne's Revenge or the Black Pearl to compliment my Imperial Flagship. I look at them almost once a day on bricklink ....this post is not helping!

$^#%&#*@!

When will I learn to not delay purchases on LEGO S@H. I missed the Scooby Doo 3 pack sale. It's something like 20% off plus VIP plus Kai dragon polybag. It was just there last night. I should have learned after I delayed the first time and missed the free Chicken suit guy with the same deal. Oh well, I really didn't need an extra Mystery Machine and the mummy one. I should be able to get Castle set for about 20% off eventually.

Kyari

I still need to pick up the Mystery Machine. I really want all of the minifigs but I cannot justify buying the other sets to finish Mystery Inc. :(

Also, in the UK at least, the Scooby Doo sets FLY OFF SHELVES. Especially the Mystery Machine which is often sold out EVERYWHERE and has been since before Christmas.

I still need to pick up the Mystery Machine. I really want all of the minifigs but I cannot justify buying the other sets to finish Mystery Inc. :(

Also, in the UK at least, the Scooby Doo sets FLY OFF SHELVES. Especially the Mystery Machine which is often sold out EVERYWHERE and has been since before Christmas.

But... the kids don't know Scooby Doo! The sets are doomed to fail. Etc etc. Wasn't that what everyone said?

My biggest Lego regret is not picking up Queen Anne's Revenge or the Black Pearl to compliment my Imperial Flagship. I look at them almost once a day on bricklink ....this post is not helping!

LOL, my biggest regret is not picking up IFS to compliment my Black Pearl and my QAR :(

To be fair, i think IFS was released earlier though, wasn't it?

LOL, my biggest regret is not picking up IFS to compliment my Black Pearl and my QAR :(

To be fair, i think IFS was released earlier though, wasn't it?
Yeah. IFS circulated 2010-2013. It's definitely in the Top 3 sets I own.

I'm banking on a new Black Pearl to be released next year since PotC is being rebooted next year but I seriously doubt we'll ever see another QAR.

ghostmind

$^#%&#*@!

When will I learn to not delay purchases on LEGO S@H. I missed the Scooby Doo 3 pack sale. It's something like 20% off plus VIP plus Kai dragon polybag. It was just there last night. I should have learned after I delayed the first time and missed the free Chicken suit guy with the same deal. Oh well, I really didn't need an extra Mystery Machine and the mummy one. I should be able to get Castle set for about 20% off eventually.

YDxC1iG.gif

In truth I think it happens to all of us. This is one aspect where my shotgun approach to picking up sets after I emerged from my Dark Age worked out well.

LEGO Digital Designer updated. Contains hundreds of new bricks, including some minecraft stuff

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=123522

YEEEEESS!!!

Awesome, it looks like it has all the new pieces that I wanted, notably that new space armor and all the nexo knights angular stuff. It even has the latest CMF stuff like the shark suit.

I thought they were ending support.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the last update, I bet they were getting a lot of requests for it.

After spending a few hours in the mall on Saturday with my wife while she was clothes shopping, we swung by the LEGO store at the end of the trip and they only had one Ewok Village in stock. For some reason, that plus double-VIP points compelled her to buy it for me.

Excited to build it over the course of the week!

After spending a few hours in the mall on Saturday with my wife while she was clothes shopping, we swung by the LEGO store at the end of the trip and they only had one Ewok Village in stock. For some reason, that plus double-VIP points compelled her to buy it for me.

VodGe.gif

I was pretty surprised/confused about it. I actually tried to talk it down to the Slave One but she knew I had mentioned Ewok Village would probably go out of print first and pushed me towards that one.

She also loves the Ewoks so she's pretty excited to have a bunch of Ewok minifigs around the house. haha

Is your name a reference to the Seinfeld Keith Hernandez episode?

Enjoy. I built mine a couple weeks back and i think it was one of the more enjoyable UCS builds so far... The finished thing looks really good and busy in a good way! Make sure you display it so that people can look at it at eye level or slightly below though. I put mine way too high so you only see it from underneath mostly :( Still amazing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom