• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, thanks for the info!

Also, I've now completed the first half/building of the pet shop set, and... it's really, really nice. My first experience with a modular, and I'm super impressed. I actually ordered the current Lego police station recently, and you can really see the difference between the two. Like, the police station is still plenty nice, but it's clearly a playset, whereas the pet shop building feels like a really nice model instead. The only real issue I have is that the arched window piece doesn't have glass to it, which feels like a shame. I suppose I can write it off as that floor being "under construction" since it's the one with the painter, though I definitely would've preferred the windows to be "complete." Still a minor issue in a great little model, though.

Btw, how many people in here actually have all/most of the modulars? Must look pretty impressive all together. It's a shame that I'm going to be missing out on quite a few of them even when I catch up to what's out, but looking at the prices on the early ones at least prevents me from being tempted to purchase any of the out of print ones, even at the more "reasonable" level of being at like $300 (since while I could maaaaybe justify paying that once if it'd get me a complete set, there's no way I'm paying like $2000 for a Lego set, so I'm stuck with an incomplete collection either way)

I have all of them, although Town Hall was torn down to make a MOC. I also have five other buildings, so they do take up a ton of space.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to gather them all, not at aftermarket prices. There's five available at the moment, and once you catch up with those there will probably be another one. Also, at that point you've learned enough techniques that you will want to build your own modulars.

I will keep buying the ones that are released, but I will eventually have to sell older ones off. Market Street (bricklinked version) is already off the shelf.

mreddie

Boom

vSI6xGw.jpg

dXLVwQR.jpg

l5taFww.jpg

Taskie in place of Spidey and no Hawkguy

Bought this guy on eBay with the following description:

This Lego is a unique, one of a kind, pre-built Samurai Mech, a combination of two different sets. This is a one of a kind creation by by son, who loved it so much but has now outgrown it.

I'm seriously considering keeping it assembled and stored and then trying to get it back in the kid's hands in 20 years when he has his own kids.

IHaveIce

Banned

This Lego is a unique, one of a kind, pre-built Samurai Mech, a combination of two different sets. This is a one of a kind creation by by son, who loved it so much but has now outgrown it.

I'm seriously considering keeping it assembled and stored and then trying to get it back in the kid's hands in 20 years when he has his own kids.

This is a pretty damn good MOC!

That would be super cool. Better yet, you could reverse engineer it and put out instructions for it so anyone could build it and his own kids too someday.

Haha, I was gonna say that kid is going to regret selling that in 20 years. That is cool. I have that face from the Monster train; need to do something with it.

Yeah, that looks pretty great! The face is at least 50% of the look though, amazing! Reminds me i still haven't built Ghost Train hmm is it worth it at this point? Maybe i'll resell it after all...

This pic also reminds me how i missed the Samurai Mech back then :(

Also: I was going to get that Scooby set with the Headless Horseman but then i decided i was gonna do my own version instead :)

JKJ9PEw.jpg

I don't remember the Ghost Train build to be all that great, and I dismantled it and used for parts soon after building it. You should sell it if the parts aren't useful to you.

oh I liked the plane though and kept it around until recently.

Did the Indy line sell poorly for Lego?
Anecdotally speaking, yes.

Most sets were released just before the current Lego renaissance -- i remember seeing them discounted for a longish period of time. The sets were mostly vehicular based and as such were not very iconic. The only set I bought was this one:

7682-1.jpg

The sets from The Last Crusade were a colossal disappointment and a reflection of TLG's conservative attitude withe license.

Fowler

Most sets were released just before the current Lego renaissance -- i remember seeing them discounted for a longish period of time. The sets were mostly vehicular based and as such were not very iconic. The only set I bought was this one:

7682-1.jpg

The sets from The Last Crusade were a colossal disappointment and a reflection of TLG's conservative attitude withe license.

Yeah, ugh, there were SO many chances to pick stuff up but I wasn't super into LEGO at the time... damnit.

7682-1.jpg

I do recall seeing a HUGE pile of Temple of Doom sets at 50% off at the LEGO store in Downtown Disney a few years before I came out of the dark ages. To be fair though, even the early modulars didn't sell as well in those days. I always read tales of how some people got those modulars on clearance for 50% off.

ghostmind

The Indiana Jones sets were a missed opportunity for me. Just as I was coming out of my Dark Age, the Indy theme was at its twilight and a bunch of sets were on clearance, yet I didn't understand the nature of LEGO sets going OOP until it was too late.

yMXj9vM.jpg

I'm hoping that the Disney connection will ensure a good run of Indy sets for the new movie (and sets for the previous films).

Ahh yes, now I'm remembering those sets and how I felt underwhelmed by most of them. Even when they went on clearance, it wasn't enough to sway me to buy some. What I would give to have a large scale Temple of Doom set in all its terrifying glory.

neonglow

I only have a small Indy set that I won in a giveaway. I did see Indy sets on store shelves but didn't get any at the time. I always wanted the Brickmaster green jeep but felt it was always overpriced especially now.

I do have this Toy Story set with a similar jeep though.

The Indiana Jones sets were a missed opportunity for me. Just as I was coming out of my Dark Age, the Indy theme was at its twilight and a bunch of sets were on clearance, yet I didn't understand the nature of LEGO sets going OOP until it was too late.

I'm hoping that the Disney connection will ensure a good run of Indy sets for the new movie (and sets for the previous films).

I would have liked the Temple of Doom set for 50% off, but not at close to MSRP. The one set I did buy used was the 7623: Temple Escape (missing plane and minfig pilot) shortly after coming out of dark ages. I'm over it now and plan to unload it. After seeing what people can do with MOCs, I will just be happy with Indy minifigs and make my own "sets".

Looking at Brickset, the only sets I would have liked were:
7195: Ambush In Cairo
7620: Indiana Jones Motorcycle Chase
20004: BrickMaster - Indiana Jones
7682: Shanghai Chase

EDIT: I do recall I bought Indy magnets for the minifigs. I don't really call that coming out of the dark ages though.

I only have a small Indy set that I won in a giveaway. I did see Indy sets on store shelves but didn't get any at the time. I always wanted the Brickmaster green jeep but felt it was always overpriced especially now.

I do have this Toy Story set with a similar jeep though.

That's a nice polybag. Perfect for getting the best minifig of the whole theme.

I would have liked the Temple of Doom set for 50% off, but not at close to MSRP. The one set I did buy used was the 7623: Temple Escape (missing plane and minfig pilot) shortly after coming out of dark ages. I'm over it now and plan to unload it. After seeing what people can do with MOCs, I will just be happy with Indy minifigs and make my own "sets".

Looking at Brickset, the only sets I would have liked were:
7195: Ambush In Cairo
7620: Indiana Jones Motorcycle Chase
20004: BrickMaster - Indiana Jones
7682: Shanghai Chase

EDIT: I do recall I bought Indy magnets for the minifigs. I don't really call that coming out of the dark ages though.

That's a nice polybag. Perfect for getting the best minifig of the whole theme.

It's actually a whole set, not a polybag! I know this because i have just ordered it on Ebay! Surprisingly enough, an older OOP set with unique minifigs which has NOT risen in price by much over the years. Wonder why?

Indiana Jones was a weird thing. I was not collecting Lego sets at the time, but the thing is, even though I'm a huge Indiana Jones fan the sets did nothing for me.. It wasn't until I ran into Lego's 2014 and onwards Star Wars and Creator Sets that I felt compelled to restart collecting.

For one thing, it seemed like half the sets were chases involving two very poorly built vehicles..

7622-1: Race for the Stolen Treasure
7197-1: Venice Canal Chase
7682-1: Shanghai Chase
7620-1: Indiana Jones Motorcycle Chase
7625-1: River Chase

Then there were other problems.. For example, some of the most iconic scenes never got the display sets they deserved, and were instead playsets AFOLs didn't care much for.. Case in point:

7623-1: Temple Escape
7199-1: The Temple of Doom

And some of the best display sets were from the worst movie..

7627-1: Temple of the Crystal Skull

..or missed opportunities:

Club Obi Wan
Club-Obi-Wan-Indiana-Jones-and-the-Temple-of-Doom-Easter-Eggs.jpg

Temple of Doom
latest

Venice Library:

Temple of the Sun
latest

Regardless, it did have one of the nicest sets of the time that I still wish I bought:

7198-1: Fighter Plane Attack

teeny

I'm really enjoying the Mighty Micros! They need to make a Micro Machines style kart racing games with these designs.

I remembered buying my son the River Chase Indy set and it was on clearance. There sure were many 'chase' in that line. I think a UCS set of iconic setting would be nice for Indiana Jones.

Finally found the Shark guy, he makes a nice pairing with Aquaman.

Then there were other problems.. For example, some of the most iconic scenes never got the display sets they deserved, and were instead playsets AFOLs didn't care much for.. Case in point:

And some of the best display sets were from the worst movie..

..or missed opportunities:
Definitely a reflection of the times as TLG didn't appreciate the AFOL demographic as much as they do now. Hence, all the vehicle sets.

The Indy theme was notable as close as TLG to a military orientation theme, of course, the Nazis were known only as "German Guards" or "German soldiers".

The Last Crusade went out its wat to ignore religious aspects of the film.

One of the best sets (imo) was 7683
7683-1.jpg

It depicted an iconic scene; it was an accurate model ( and quite swooshable). I wish i had picked one up at the time.

Boogiepop

Finished up the Pet Shop modular and I'm really, really impressed with it. Funny how only like a sixth of the model goes the actual pet shop that it's named after, though. Oh, and my order for the Millenium Falcon came in, with the added bonus of tne Chicken Suit figure, who kind of fits well thematically with the pet shop, so at least for now he's hanging out there.

Finished up the Pet Shop modular and I'm really, really impressed with it. Funny how only like a sixth of the model goes the actual pet shop that it's named after, though. Oh, and my order for the Millenium Falcon came in, with the added bonus of tne Chicken Suit figure, who kind of fits well thematically with the pet shop, so at least for now he's hanging out there.

I really need to start populating my modular city with crazies. For now it's all standard figs that came with them...

Arocs finished, last few photos then!

Part five was the cab, took around two and a half hours, and finally my thing looks like a thing!

This is what the front end looks like at the end of part 4...

8rgb5ph.jpg

And this is what it looks like at the end of part 5!

5Qsap6f.jpg

There are three separate builds, kinda, so these are what you make in part 5.

Pm7bsoJ.jpg

The cab is really satisfyingly chunky! It tips forwards when connected to the main model to access the batteries.

Part six was the tipping bed, only took half an hour, it was a very quick part of the build.

4gLkb94.jpg

Not a very sexy part of the build!

0UOFCHc.jpg

PcMKiMM.jpg

So yeah, there we go. Love it love it love it. Going to buy the Bucket Wheel Excavator. Oh God. What have I done?

Total build time was around 12 hours I reckon.

AM6kP7r.gif

You are on top of the enabling list for me now. I just ordered this set. My first stand alone Technic set since the 80s. Well, I did forget that I bought the Destroyer Droid set, but the rubber bands dry rotted after a few months and I lost the set.

Part of me wanted to wait for the BWE to come out, but the pneumatics are too tempting on this. I am so excited to learn some new stuff by building this.

Edit: bag 12 of Firehouse HQ done. There's the fire extinguisher I was waiting for.

Ryuuroden

AM6kP7r.gif

You are on top of the enabling list for me now. I just ordered this set. My first stand alone Technic set since the 80s. Well, I did forget that I bought the Destroyer Droid set, but the rubber bands dry rotted after a few months and I lost the set.

Part of me wanted to wait for the BWE to come out, but the pneumatics are too tempting on this. I am so excited to learn some new stuff by building this.

Edit: bag 12 of Firehouse HQ done. There's the fire extinguisher I was waiting for.

Crawler crane is supposed to be fantastic for teaching all sorts of gearing from what my friends have told me and what I've read. I definitely plan on getting that too. I'm really going all in on technic this year...Lego has really raised the bar. I hope it really helps me to start adding mechanical elements to my builds. I want to make a bunch of moving things for the orc forges and mines I am going to put beneath orthanc under my table. I plan to change the landscape to half greenery and half desolation with mine holes and ents attacking. I also need mechanical knowledge for the airship.

The mechanics is what I want to learn. I have rudimentary stuff in my airship, but know I can make it more complex.
Maybe hydraulic launch platform?

ghostmind

The first Power Functions 2.0 parts, via the new WeDo 2.0 kits.

Combination battery box (AA or LiPo pack) and "SmartHub", using 6-wire communication and color-programmable LED light.
Jf5NAYn.jpg

New 'M' motor:
oEpfEoL.jpg

ghostmind

Which kits?

LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 tubs:

CDeN9U5.jpg

A bit easier (and cheaper for schools) to get into than Mindstorms EV3.

These will become the standard for retail PowerFunctions though, as LEGO will be phasing out the current PF and moving to this new 6-wire PF 2.0 starting next year.

And the SmartHub is Bluetooth enabled, and can be communicated with via PC, Mac, iOS or Android.

ghostmind

Friends Amusement Park Bumper Cars:
BqhuhEf.jpg

Bowling Lane polybag (cheap way to get new HD bun):
4tr0IA1.jpg

Joining the Amusement Park line-up already shown at Toy Fair:

Amusement Park Arcade:
jsVEX65.jpg

Amusement Park Space Ride:
pjm07Jp.jpg

Amusement Park Hot Dog Van:
joRCZ4B.jpg

Amusement Park Roller Coaster:
gAqvX75.jpg

Friends theme continuing to kill it.

Bowling Lane polybag (cheap way to get new HD bun):
4tr0IA1.jpg

Amusement Park Hot Dog Van:
joRCZ4B.jpg

I love how casual she is about throwing a strike at the bowling lane. She can't be bothered to put down her food and effortlessly throws a strike.

And man, that hot dog van is awesome. And look, another way to get hot dog suits!

Finished the Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ last night and am of two minds on the set. There is a ton to love in it, but it still felt slightly disappointing in the end.

The set is absolutely massive once done, and is an imposing display piece. The issue is that from the outside, it is rather plain looking with not many flourishes to make it stand out. Of course, that is how the actual building is, so it makes sense.

The real meat of the set is inside. All the little details added throughout are wonderful, and like other sets designed by Marcos Bessa, it is the building of those tiny little features that are the best part. The way that some tables and furniture come together are very surprising and fun, and I also learned of some new ways to put certain bricks together that should have been obvious before. It is touches like that that I love. The way that the chairs are built is one of the neater parts, but they don't connect to anything and thus are loose inside, which I do not like at all. At least the table on the top floor is cleverly held at an askew angle using jumper plates.
It is a bit of BS that Winston not only is missing a locker, but he doesn't even have a bed in the place.

All the little details inside are loving callbacks to the film, and it is obvious that this set was designed from a place of love. While there are lots of stickers, they really do bring the interior together with all the details, such as the computer monitors or posters on the walls, or the toaster on the table with a puddle of pink slime next to it.

The mini figures are great as well, and once again seem to be coming from a place of great love and admiration for the film. The multiple expressions for the characters are good, and it was nice to get a small assortment of ghosts as well. I just wish it came with a Gozer figure.

As for the negatives: What is up with the outside back of the building? It is ugly and exposed, and sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the nice exterior. The building goes all the way to the back edge of the baseplate, so it is obvious they ran out of space. Could they not have used a 32x32 plate on the back instead of a 16x32? That would have given a bit more space to extend the building at least one stud and have some more room for a sidewalk or something. Or, they could have just reduced the interior by one stud so we could get a solid colored back wall like the rest of the building has.

And the hinge system to open up the side of the building is a big drawback as well. It looks really nice when opened, but when closed there is a small gap visible because things don't exactly line up, and it is annoying. The other issue is that the weight of the sections that slide open case them to sag ever so slightly when opened all the way, so they drop ever so slightly below the baseplate, so swinging the side back into the closed position means sometimes having to lift the wall up to clear the plate. It is hard to describe, but it is very obvious when you have the set in front of you. JANG went on about this issue in his review as well.

In the end, I am glad that I got the set because it brought back memories of building the Death Star with all the little fun touches throughout. It is nowhere near the level of love of have for Death Star though. In the end, I know this will be a massive parts pack in a few months time.

Man, Friends is bringing lots of awesome themes that don't seem to make it to the City theme for some reason.

To be frank, the set is a wienner and is going to be a hot seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom