• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowler

Progress on my first MOC. Learned a lot of do's and don'ts on this build so my next one won't be nearly as expensive... hopefully.

Just waiting on 4 parts so I can finish the engine & suspension.

Lotus 78 next!

WOW. This is amazing. Great job, especially for a first MOC!

Local seller is selling some older Space/Castle/Pirate sets...not sure which ones to go for...but the Space ones are really calling to me. That and the Forestman Crossing

Finally, my CMF series are complete! (i have managed to track down the final 2 missing S1 figs ;)

I present to you: the complete CMF series 1-15 :)

qqj5FHv.jpg

x4a6jta.jpg

On these pics it looks rather underwhelming somehow, but in person, standing in front of it all, it look pretty glorious :)

Hopefully Lego won't go on forever with CMFs. My shelf will be able to take maybe 6 more series or so...maybe a bit more but that's IT.

Osahi

Finally, my CMF series are complete! (i have managed to track down the final 2 missing S1 figs ;)

qqj5FHv.jpg

x4a6jta.jpg

On these pics it looks rather underwhelming somehow, but in person, standing in front of it all, it look pretty glorious :)

Hopefully Lego won't go on forever with CMFs. My shelf will be able to take maybe 6 more series or so...maybe a bit more but that's IT.

Underwhelming? You mustered an army!

In CMF-news, I picked up Shark Guy yesterday. Was queing in a media shop that sells some Lego too, and they had series 15 at the queu. I started feeling while I waited and felt his tail, and couldn't resist. Not really my favourite fig (he is a bit bland imo, due to the single color), but cool nonetheless. He has been promoted as a Jaws-fan waiting in line at the Palace Cinema.

TheFuzz

So I build the #1 bags for the Firehouse last night. Already noticing the little touches, and loved the lockers. This set is going to be so massive.

I just wanna randomly say how much i appreciate these 2 sets:

1) the Scooby Lighthouse

I really feel that after looking at both the old Creator AND the upcoming Creator Lighthouses, and even after taking into consideration the Friends Lighthouse, THIS bad boy here has the most organic and elegant look to it, as well as the best color scheme in my book. So...BEST LIGHTHOUSE EVER (as an official set anyway) ?

nzJ41M8.jpg

2) the Javelin from the Darkseid set

After just having finished this, i must say that while the build was very good for a superhero throw in ship, i feel the finished result is an EXTREMELY slick looking ship with a killer door opening mechanism. Overall it's very swooshable and it just kind of looks like a spear and a spaceship made love and this is the outcome. Love it, to me it looks smoother and slicker than any Quinjet, so it's probably THE best ship included in a superhero set ever made as far as i am concerned, and it doesn't get enough love!

DX6YBsZ.jpg

1) the Scooby Lighthouse

I really feel that after looking at both the old Creator AND the upcoming Creator Lighthouses, and even after taking into consideration the Friends Lighthouse, THIS bad boy here has the most organic and elegant look to it, as well as the best color scheme in my book. So...BEST LIGHTHOUSE EVER (as an official set anyway) ?

I'd go with 4194 personally:
4194-1.jpg

Did some CMF sorting this morning and wow do I have lots of extras! I'll get them up on the marketplace thread later. I still need a handful to complete the line (mostly series 1 unfortunately).

Yeah wasn't even aware this existed hmmm..

Looks pretty cool indeed but i guess i meant as far as traditional lighthouses go in this case ;)

The PotC lighthouse was the best PotC "land" set by a long, long way.

I have the Scooby Lighthouse in my backlog -- what an unexpectedly awesome theme it turned out to be with this, the Mystery Machine and the Haunted Mansion.

1) the Scooby Lighthouse

nzJ41M8.jpg

2) the Javelin from the Darkseid set

After just having finished this, i must say that while the build was very good for a superhero throw in ship, i feel the finished result is an EXTREMELY slick looking ship with a killer door opening mechanism. Overall it's very swooshable and it just kind of looks like a spear and a spaceship made love and this is the outcome. Love it, to me it looks smoother and slicker than any Quinjet, so it's probably THE best ship included in a superhero set ever made as far as i am concerned, and it doesn't get enough love!

DX6YBsZ.jpg

I'm a fan of the dark <any color> versions they have in LEGO which I think adds to that lighthouse.

The Javelin is a decent looking ship and I enjoyed some of the techniques. The pop open bay doors was excellent, I think it's just that most people don't have any attachment to it from lack of awareness of the ship. It's been ages since the Justice League cartoon so I vaguely remember the ship from that show.

Ponn

Banned
Bumping with image to catch people's attention.

1k0dnAo.jpg

Especially hilarious because apparently TRU is selling it for $10. It even says msrp of 4.99 in the Lego description. Thats R fucking TRU.

I got my box from Lego S@H today!! They attempted delivery yesterday but did't get home from hospital till that evening. Surprised they re-delivered on Saturday

Aalrny7.jpg

Whats in the box!

vss3fOs.jpg

Dawwww don't cry Batman, I will take care of you!

Okay, so I built the Ender Dragon set. I got it for about 65% off which was reasonable for a parts pack. And like all Minecraft sets, it's an awesome parts pack. There's a ton of black jumper plates, and tons of 2x2 black bricks, and a bunch of basic tan bricks. Also, it comes with the two dragon wings needed to make the balrog I built :D. Oh, and those ender men have this really weird, specific part that looks like it could be used in a fancy way for some buildings.

But as a set... I see how this has been on sale repeatedly. There's this blocky, ugly dragon with poor posability, and it also has poor balance. There's a small platform with a fountain and a small platform with torches on it, and there's a pile of tan with three black rectangles. Also, those rectangles are repetitive like hell. And the only playability in this thing is that the highest tower has a light brick, and that the dragon can flap its wings.

The ender men look deliciously creepy though, and will haunt my city until I figure out what to do with that crazy part.

Picked up the painting eggs set at Tesco today I didn't realise it was available nationally for £6 - seems a nice little set for that price!

Not got my eyes on too much at the moment apart from some more micro fighters and the Ghostrider set, I know my son will want the Adventure time set but it doesn't seem the best use of the lisence I would have preferred something that came together rather than some small individual builds

Ponn

Banned
Nice.

A completely unrelated question -- what is your home address and what hours will the premise be unoccupied?

HA! Now i'm glad I removed my shipping label from the box before taking the picture.

Now we really know what happened at Helms Deep that day.

Bag 1 delivers right off the BAT. Got Adam West Batman, awesomest Joker ever and Batmobile builds.

Check out my rims! Printed pieces, unfortunately only few so far. Yes, lots of stickers in this set.

Stylin' and Profilin' Might need to use that emergency Bat-Turn handle there.

Okay so here's the thing. Yes i'm only done with bag 1 but i've looked over the books and rest of the bags and I fully understand why this set has a high price tag and price per piece ratio. And its something I keep noticing reviewers neglect to talk about when complaining about prices.

That my friends is 5 unnumbered bags of big specialty pillar pieces and lots of bigger plates. These are expensive pieces and theres FIVE bags of them in this set. This is actually a pretty good deal for a set that is about 10 cents per piece. And thats not considering the highly unique figs in this set that will probably not be found in any other sets again. So yea i'm not really into the meat of the set but just want to point out this glossed over fact on the set.

boltz

Especially hilarious because apparently TRU is selling it for $10. It even says msrp of 4.99 in the Lego description. Thats R fucking TRU.

I got my box from Lego S@H today!! They attempted delivery yesterday but did't get home from hospital till that evening. Surprised they re-delivered on Saturday

Aalrny7.jpg

Whats in the box!

vss3fOs.jpg

Dawwww don't cry Batman, I will take care of you!

lol - the funny thing is if those Batman sets bomb in terms of sales and get retired earlier than normal, they will become quite valuable in the secondary market.

That my friends is 5 unnumbered bags of big specialty pillar pieces and lots of bigger plates. These are expensive pieces and theres FIVE bags of them in this set. This is actually a pretty good deal for a set that is about 10 cents per piece. And thats not considering the highly unique figs in this set that will probably not be found in any other sets again. So yea i'm not really into the meat of the set but just want to point out this glossed over fact on the set.
Ya, I saw that when reading the instructions but that's actually why I'd pass even if this set goes on clearance. I'm not really into big specialty pieces. It makes it look more like a playset that you put together. Not that I wouldn't want it but with so many other sets and not much space to collect more, I'm trying hard to be more selective.

I'm sure you'll be posting pics that will make me want it.

Rootbeer

Banned
lol - the funny thing is if those Batman sets bomb in terms of sales and get retired earlier than normal, they will become quite valuable in the secondary market.

That's why Batcave is on my radar. If it early retires I'm buying it for sure. I'm still on the fence though. They did a fantastic job on the minifigs, especially batman and joker

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
That's why Batcave is on my radar. If it early retires I'm buying it for sure. I'm still on the fence though. They did a fantastic job on the minifigs, especially batman and joker

If I don't find anything at the Great Midwest train show tomorrow (other hobby), I'm heading up to my Lego store to pick it up, and I agree the figs are top notch.

boltz

Yeah, it is kinda on my radar now, especially since Ewok Village went out of stock! Gah, that's what I get for procrastinating.

Fowler

Really happy with my haul today! Got the Takodana set and all the Civil War minifigs I wanted.

Was originally going to get the Airport Battle set, but I don't really have the space for it and I have most of those minifigs already. So instead just picked up Giant Man, Ant Man microfig, Agent 13, Cap with hair, Black Panther and Falcon. Those figs are spread across three sets, so I'm glad I was able to get them all.

qqj5FHv.jpg

x4a6jta.jpg

Sweet!

I can't bring myself to buy the CMF series 1 nurse for $20 to unlock crazy collector achievement. I think that's the only series 1 I am missing.

Bumping with image to catch people's attention.

1k0dnAo.jpg

You snooze, you lose. I lose. Dang, I thought I'd have until tonight to get in on this deal. It's all gone in U.S. Was looking at the ~20% off Scooby Doo 3-set pack with chicken suit set and Kai dragon. With double points that would have been a great deal. Oh well, will sit on whether or not I will buy something on S@H now.

mrkgoo

Sweet!

I can't bring myself to buy the CMF series 1 nurse for $20 to unlock crazy collector achievement. I think that's the only series 1 I am missing.

My local toy store has a display with all of them. I'm pretty sure they must've been asked thousands of times if they could sell any particular figure...

Incidentally, they also do a service where they feel up bags and number them so you know what you're buying (and I think they do preorder sets).

Rootbeer

Banned
If it had been in some way a variation I would have got one. But just not worth making another order for. Still it's a cool bonus for easter time.

Sweet!

WoR7uDs.gif

Come on son! Just ONE missing? You must have paid quite a bit for the other S1 like the Zombie etc. as well right? I know i did :D

worth it though...

Why is that chicken suit minifig so hard to get in the US? In the UK it's everywhere, my local supermarket has hundreds of them and they're giving one with every £15 LEGO purchase.

Rootbeer

Banned
Why is that chicken suit minifig so hard to get in the US? In the UK it's everywhere, my local supermarket has hundreds of them and they're giving one with every £15 LEGO purchase.

Well, you can buy it from Toys R Us, but the only way to get it free right now was from that two day period. Ehh, it's not even a big deal if you have been collecting LEGO since 2013 or earlier, since chicken suit guy is not even a new or exclusive minifig, and the box it comes in is not special in any way.

I watched an enderdragon (I guess that's the term) battle to get some context, and okay, it's pretty accurate. I see what the towers are for and the egg on top of the fountain is a thing.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a boring build though :p

Arocs finished, last few photos then!

Part five was the cab, took around two and a half hours, and finally my thing looks like a thing!

This is what the front end looks like at the end of part 4...

8rgb5ph.jpg

And this is what it looks like at the end of part 5!

5Qsap6f.jpg

There are three separate builds, kinda, so these are what you make in part 5.

Pm7bsoJ.jpg

The cab is really satisfyingly chunky! It tips forwards when connected to the main model to access the batteries.

Part six was the tipping bed, only took half an hour, it was a very quick part of the build.

4gLkb94.jpg

Not a very sexy part of the build!

0UOFCHc.jpg

PcMKiMM.jpg

So yeah, there we go. Love it love it love it. Going to buy the Bucket Wheel Excavator. Oh God. What have I done?

Total build time was around 12 hours I reckon.

Ryuuroden

So Ryuuroden was at this thing and then I was at this thing and then this thing happened and so thing

Also other photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/h3xantistyle/shares/1oe80M

Nice pictures :)

Also, I ended up going crazy at the Lego store and bought 800 dollars worth of sets post discount including all of speed champions and all of the ep 7 sets and finally since technic was all non exclusive I ended up buying the Arocs set. Thanks to the enableler here. I think it will give me good lessons on learning mechanical aspects.

Stopped by the LEGO store today and stayed strong. I'm sitting on a bunch of VIP points and gift cards...but passed on the GB, BB & UCS Tie since I know they'll just end up unopened in the closet. No more big sets until I've worked through the backlog.

Ended up just getting the small Marvel set with Crossbones and a new SW one with Kanan.

Just got the 8039 Venator in an Ebay auction for a "decent" price (i don't wanna go into details LOL) can't wait to build it!!!

I know it got some flak over the years for being out of scale and too bulky and high compared to the original BUT for some reason i love the look and i am looking forward to it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom