• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, it was in the first glass display case in the middle of the store as you walk in. Having it displayed like that it is one of the reasons I purchased it.

Then again they always manage to set it up and light it just right in their glass display cases so it looks extra shiny and great. At home, that effect is sometimes hard to reproduce.

Ponn

Banned
Wow, both Wetwired and Ghostmind beaten to the Lego Batman Movie info punch. You two better get back on your game for the eventual sets.

wetwired

Wow, both Wetwired and Ghostmind beaten to the Lego Batman Movie info punch. You two better get back on your game for the eventual sets.

I was out of action all yesterday, recovering from my trip to San Fran, sleeping for nearly 12 hours straight.

Nothing I worked on is in those pics but hopefully the trailer has something I did in it as I'm dying to show you guys.

Ponn

Banned
I was out of action all yesterday, recovering from my trip to San Fran, sleeping for nearly 12 hours straight.

Nothing I worked on is in those pics but hopefully the trailer has something I did in it as I'm dying to show you guys.

Huh, so you were in San Fran, Lego Batman movie stuff coming out at same time. Uh-huh...ok.

I'm hoping its an awesome Batwing finally and if so it better have a set. Or else, I will write a post about being very upset.

Boogiepop

Maaaan. Nearing the end of the Palace Cinema, and it turns out a tan 1x1 brick is missing. Spent waaaaay too long looking for it, so yeah, definitely not there. And I'm kind of doubtful as to whether there's an extra one in my old stuff as tan isn't the most common color for the stuff I bought in my childhood. And that's also all in a terrible place to dig through. For now I just grabbed a red one to jam in there in the mean-time so I can at least complete the build and not have pieces left on my floor.

I've actually never had this happen before, so how hard is it to get this fixed and get a replacement? Really sucks, and I always thought they were good about preventing stuff like this...

ghostmind

Maaaan. Nearing the end of the Palace Cinema, and it turns out a tan 1x1 brick is missing. Spent waaaaay too long looking for it, so yeah, definitely not there. And I'm kind of doubtful as to whether there's an extra one in my old stuff as tan isn't the most common color for the stuff I bought in my childhood. And that's also all in a terrible place to dig through. For now I just grabbed a red one to jam in there in the mean-time so I can at least complete the build and not have pieces left on my floor.

I've actually never had this happen before, so how hard is it to get this fixed and get a replacement? Really sucks, and I always thought they were good about preventing stuff like this...

Super simple - call LEGO and they will ship you a new one. They are one of the better companies about this.

Ponn

Banned

If you haven't checked your empty bags that would be my first suggestion. I can't count how many times I was freaking out about a smaller piece being missing and ended up finding it in a crease in an empty bag. If not then yea like Ghostmind suggested contact Lego for quick painless remedy.

Koren

Super simple - call LEGO and they will ship you a new one. They are one of the better companies about this.
This. I was missing an olive green brick in Parisian Restaurant, I just filled the online form, and about five days later, the brick was in the mail. Great service.

Boogiepop

If you haven't checked your empty bags that would be my first suggestion. I can't count how many times I was freaking out about a smaller piece being missing and ended up finding it in a crease in an empty bag. If not then yea like Ghostmind suggested contact Lego for quick painless remedy.

This. I was missing an olive green brick in Parisian Restaurant, I just filled the online form, and about five days later, the brick was in the mail. Great service.
Thanks guys, glad to hear it and will do! (Looked through the pile, the bags, and everything nearby several times over, and it's just not there). I'm glad the brick is at least near the top of the floor, so I won't have to do too much disassembling when the replacement arrives, but I do want to just finish it for now so I don't have a pile of bricks laying around.

But yeah, I'm definitely glad I don't need to do any further digging around in my bin of old bricks!

Edit: ...wow. I'm stupid. I looked very carefully, but it turns out... I accidentally double placed it on the one side of the wall and it blended in, so I didn't notice until I went on to the next step. That is a reaaaaaaally stupid way to lose track of a brick, but I'm glad I have it, and least now I know, for if it really does happen to me.

I started watching Jang's unboxings mainly to see what parts he got for his hospital MOC. That one's done but I'm still watching. His latest one was the shitty Echo base (which I don't regret buying for the minifigs and parts) but inside was hidden a Blacktron set.

Also that vid led me to his other channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKPwCv3LamA

When does this guy do anything else besides build and do videos? Calling it now, Jang is a robot.

Also there are two Benz Arocs on AWD http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WHY4ADA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

wetwired

Huh, so you were in San Fran, Lego Batman movie stuff coming out at same time. Uh-huh...ok.

I'm hoping its an awesome Batwing finally and if so it better have a set. Or else, I will write a post about being very upset.

Unrelated, I was there for GDC. I did make the trip to the LEGO store in San Mateo though and got some pick a brick

Nice! I prefer Nightwing's blue color scheme. Although the hair is better in this one, I do want the "anime" hair one from the older minifig.

25882800531_65b888212e.jpg

LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes - Justice League: Gotham City Breakout by Allen Tran, on Flickr

EDIT: I want to push Nightwing's torso and leg assembly together. I can't stop staring at the gap.

EDIT2: Has anyone seen the quality of the DVD vs the Bluray version of LEGO movies like this one? I want the minifigs, but for $10 less I can get minifig with the DVD version for some. I'm strongly leaning towards DVD versions as it's not like my kids and I can't enjoy the videos at a lower quality.
I need to get the Cosmic Boy and Trickster figs. Nightwing and Pirate Batman...darn you LEGO!!! Not bad though if I can get minifig for $10 and enjoy a video with my kids.

EDIT3: Seems like the difference between Legion of Doom DVD vs Bluray combo is $5. I swear there was a $10 DVD with figure at one time. Only $10 DVD I see doesn't have figure. Could have been misleading photo (that showed minifig) which happens on occasions. I'll wait for sale or when it's discontinued.

wetwired

Nice! I prefer Nightwing's blue color scheme. Although the hair is better in this one, I do want the "anime" hair one from the older minifig.

25882800531_65b888212e.jpg

LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes - Justice League: Gotham City Breakout by Allen Tran, on Flickr

EDIT: I want to push Nightwing's torso and leg assembly together. I can't stop staring at the gap.

EDIT2: Has anyone seen the quality of the DVD vs the Bluray version of LEGO movies like this one? I want the minifigs, but for $10 less I can get minifig with the DVD version for some. I'm strongly leaning towards DVD versions as it's not like my kids and I can't enjoy the videos at a lower quality.
I need to get the Cosmic Boy and Trickster figs. Nightwing and Pirate Batman...darn you LEGO!!! Not bad though if I can get minifig for $10 and enjoy a video with my kids.

There goes the value of my first run blue Nightwing minifig, but yes I much prefer the blue version

Are those movies themselves actually any good though? I've never gotten one before... Are they in the same style as the Lego movie is?

Also:

That Nightwing looks pretty dope but not much different from this one, except for color and a tiny variation on the face of course.
I also prefer him to have solid colored sticks, not translucent ones.

U7F0e4S.jpg

Edit: ...wow. I'm stupid. I looked very carefully, but it turns out... I accidentally double placed it on the one side of the wall and it blended in, so I didn't notice until I went on to the next step. That is a reaaaaaaally stupid way to lose track of a brick, but I'm glad I have it, and least now I know, for if it really does happen to me.

Welcome to the club.

Would not really worry about the image wuality too much. For a tenner less, just grab the DVD.

My Simpsons House and Ewok village got delivered to one of my neighbours... But on the note its says our own house number... A bit odd Toys R Us doesn't require a signature for a package like this to begin with.

peely

Neo Member
Mix the bags. One person sorts while the other builds, take turns.

DL pdf instructions. Look for which bags start new floors. You build the first, and she builds the second.

Or else have one sort and the other build. Either way, a tablet and pdf instructions are a must.

Thanks :) I normally mix bags but after going through a mammoth session with the Temple I think I'll pass this time ! PDFs on a nearby would suit us well :)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Mix the bags. One person sorts while the other builds, take turns.

This is pretty much how my girlfriend and I tend to do sets. Though usually we go with the builder is the person whose set it is seeing as we usually buy them as presents or for ourselves. So sorter is the other one. Only thing is it means if we get a set for the other person we know we're gonna have to be the sorter/finder :p

Ordered a few sets on 3 for 2 from Tesco for Arlos birthday, £65 for the below:

Iron skull sub
Black panther pursuit
Tiger Widow Island

Any thoughts on those sets? A lot of the appeal for him is minifigures which all the above have great ones and he likes vehicles that we build together and then he adapts.

Osahi

Man, Amazon.de has some great prices on the latest TFA sets (Resistance Transporter and Takodana). Could get them both for 100 euro's.

Finger is itching to pull the trigger, but I don't really like the look of the transporter and I'm not sure Takodana is a good display set.

Iron skull sub
Black panther pursuit
Tiger Widow Island

Any thoughts on those sets? A lot of the appeal for him is minifigures which all the above have great ones and he likes vehicles that we build together and then he adapts.

The Black Panther set is a surprisingly fun build. The jet has some interesting techniques that I have not seen used on any other jets I have assembled in the past. Plus its the only way to get BP, which is a nice figure (but could've used printing on the legs).

Iron skull sub
Black panther pursuit
Tiger Widow Island

The Iron Skull Sub is actually a terrific little build. The trans-red "cell" has some neat play features, and the ship itself has some solid SNOT work to maintain the sleekness of the design. The thing looks great from most angles.

Black Panther's plane is very solid....but due to its size it feels a bit like the jet from the old Hulk Helicarrier Breakout set. I wish it were as big as the X-Men Blackbird ship. That having been said the lines are awesome and you'll like building it.

It goes without saying that the minifigs in both sets are terrific (especially that Cap fig).

Thanks guys I was going to order the Tiger Widow island this morning for £40 anyway so only cost me £25 for the two other sets, I wasn't too interested in the red skull sub but he saw the iron man fig and he wanted it plus I want the red skull!

ruxtpin

Banned
Made use of the double points last night, finally... Ordered the Opera House (even after the so-so feedback here, still decided to roll with it), F40, and a second Palace Cinema. Perhaps in a couple of months I'll grab a duplicate of the Parisian Restaurant and Detective Office.

Are those movies themselves actually any good though? I've never gotten one before... Are they in the same style as the Lego movie is?

Also:

That Nightwing looks pretty dope but not much different from this one, except for color and a tiny variation on the face of course.
I also prefer him to have solid colored sticks, not translucent ones.

The movies are much like the Star Wars ones. They are highly geared towards kids and have lots of humor. The LEGO Movie is styled to look like stop motion (no bending of body parts) and the world is entirely brick-built. None of the other LEGO cartoons are like that. I like the LEGO shows/movies. I don't highly recommend them for only adults though to buy just for the movie, but if you have kids it's something you can enjoy with them.

LEGO understands the nature of the collector. Variations are the weakness of any hardcore collector.

ninge

Those amazon.com prices for Dimensions sets were too much to resist! Just ordered the Ghostbusters level set, Stay-Puff fun pack, Aquaman and Superman fun packs and Master Wu.

All for less than half the price compared to buying them in the UK even with shipping included! By splitting into 3 separate orders each one comes to under £15 so there is no Duty to pay either :) Bargain!

Those amazon.com prices for Dimensions sets were too much to resist! Just ordered the Ghostbusters level set, Stay-Puff fun pack, Aquaman and Superman fun packs and Master Wu.

All for less than half the price compared to buying them in the UK even with shipping included! By splitting into 3 separate orders each one comes to under £15 so there is no Duty to pay either :) Bargain!

I ordered stay puft and cyberman last week for the same price as stay puft alone on Amazon U.K. Including taxes!

Experien

Target had TMNT Mega Bloks mystery bags for $2.80. Bought 4 and so far I got hologram Shredder and Mikey and am content. Hope I get a Kraang though.

Ponn

Banned
I ordered stay puft and cyberman last week for the same price as stay puft alone on Amazon U.K. Including taxes!

I preordered some of the fun packs way back and I lucked out with a double 20% Prime discount. I got Stay Puft for $3 and am going to have Slimer and Bane for $4 each.

Screw that though, I just got the Olaf polybag from Target today. MY LEGO COLLECTION IS NOW COMPLETE!

willp2003

Ordered the new small creator propeller plane from Amazon uk today seeing as it was discounted to under £11, and I also needed some cables which got me the free delivery.

Tomorrow is my daughters birthday and we are surprising her by going to LegoLand Florida. Anything special I should keep my eyes out for? Or anything I should know of?

Target had TMNT Mega Bloks mystery bags for $2.80. Bought 4 and so far I got hologram Shredder and Mikey and am content. Hope I get a Kraang though.

I just saw CMFs at Target for the first time. Two boxes and both were fresh. Easily found a few sharks. Picked up my two Dimensions Cyberman for under $12 total which I ordered for pick-up online.

I also saw the Mega Bloks mysterday bags. Grabbed one randomly. I only care about getting the Krang one. I already bought the Collectors versions of the 4 turtles.

Just ordered the Fairground Mixer for my GF's BDay in June.

This should bring me up to nearly $140 in VIP credit.

Really have to decide what I want to get with it, don't know if I want the Detective's Agency or wait to see what else is coming out later this year.

Experien

I just saw CMFs at Target for the first time. Two boxes and both were fresh. Easily found a few sharks. Picked up my two Dimensions Cyberman for under $12 total which I ordered for pick-up online.

I also saw the Mega Bloks mysterday bags. Grabbed one randomly. I only care about getting the Krang one. I already bought the Collectors versions of the 4 turtles.

Still no Kraang but I did get 2 ULTRA RARE Hologram Shredders :/

Ordered the new small creator propeller plane from Amazon uk today seeing as it was discounted to under £11, and I also needed some cables which got me the free delivery.
The red, twin-engine one?

I love it. Surprisingly large and nicely detailed for a $20 set, it and the Blue Power Jet are two of my favorite sets -- makes me want a $100 Creator SR-71!

I am absolutely loving and hating it at the same time.
Word to the wise, you have to be on your A game while doing Technic. The instructions are a bit unforgiving.

Ryuuroden

I am absolutely loving and hating it at the same time.
Word to the wise, you have to be on your A game while doing Technic. The instructions are a bit unforgiving.

How many times have you messed up? Technic is definitely something you do not want to miss putting a piece in during a step. And if Sariel says it's the most complex technic set LEGO has ever released, I believe it. I have a feeling that the satisfaction when finished with that set is god tier. I haven't had a chance to start mine yet.

No missed pieces yet, but highlighting the things added in each step would have been nice. The last thing I did of adding the bag 2 build to the main body was a bit frustrating when just one pin was not lined up correctly.

Boogiepop

Okay, I've finished off the Palace Cinema to go with my Pet Shop, so now I go into purchasing hibernation until the fall double VIP when I'll grab at least one more modular, most likely. It's still plenty nice, but it does feel like a bit of a step down from the Pet Shop kind of. Like, it makes sense because of the theme, but it's pretty much two big rooms, the second of which is a little empty due to being the actual "theater" part. Still a very nice set, and it did pick up right at the end with the rather neat sign for the front that gets built pretty much last. It's just that the like 6 whole rooms over two buildings from the Pet Shop just set the bar pretty high.

Just out of curiosity, how would you guys generally rank the modulars? Curious if the Pet Shop is indeed considered on the upper end, or if the remaining three that are still readily available have plenty of room to impress me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom