• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
Went to Legoland Florida last year, but it's not really that memorable tbh. It's neat, but there are better places to be in that state. My daughter loved the Friends stuff though.

Was in the one in Germany the previous year so maybe it took the shine off the experience but it wasn't that great either.

melike75

Neo Member
Cute videos, and it seems like your daughter is really enjoying it too. :)
Only real critique I would add is the audio gets very low or muffled a few times in them, making it hard to understand what is being said.

But keep up the great work. Those were fun.

Awesome - thanks Phony - I'll pass that onto my daughter as well.

Yeah - I need to work on the audio/sound mix. Thanks for the feedback.

Awesome - thanks Phony - I'll pass that onto my daughter as well.

Yeah - I need to work on the audio/sound mix. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks - hopefully I can execute better. (I have no idea how to multi-quote)

Click the plus sign next to a post as you scroll. Then press reply or quote on the last one.

And btw, welcome to the thread. Forgive me if I don't remember you if you've posted before.

Wow. It works!

On topic I finished sorting the non Lego from a 40 lb lot from Craigslist. Found about 50 minifigs including the original minifig sized Hulk. Coolest part was a swirl Aqua blue octopus from an old agents set.

Ponn

Banned
LEGO Angry Birds at TRU today. I grabbed the two cheapest sets.

Trying to decide on an April 1st order for S@H though to get that Mr Freeze figure. I'm not sure I see it being the huge seller that Revan or Winter Soldier was, but, I could be wrong. It is an exclusive Superhero minifig, afterall.

I'm not going to be able to make an order till later next week and i'm a little nervous but I will be surprised if it sells out. i'm not seeing any new sets people will rush for and I really don't think people are going to be rushing for Mr. Freeze. Batcave hasn't been well received and he doesn't fit in a collection without those figs. Even if it does sell out I don't see it going for much on the aftermarket.

melike75

Neo Member
Click the plus sign next to a post as you scroll. Then press reply or quote on the last one.

And btw, welcome to the thread. Forgive me if I don't remember you if you've posted before.

Ah! Thanks.
Yeah, I tend to post maybe 2 or 3 times a year :) But the page is just left open in my browser since OT1. ;)

Mr Freeze promo is now live, as well as Ideas Maze and Angry Birds sets.

EDIT: Ordered Maze and the Black Panther set. All I really wanted immediately was the Maze, but needed free shipping and Mr. Freeze. It was just below the threshold for the promo so needed to tack something on, and series 15 figures were sold out. Oh, well. At least now I have Black Panther.

I hit a dead end on my haunted fort MOC and had to take a floor apart and rethink the flow into the next floor. Meanwhile on the ruins of the deconstructed floor, the Ghostbusters terror dog found a home. I only had one so the second one is partially destroyed.
gFJpz3c.jpg

Mr. Freeze is up in Europe (nowhere promoted on the website, as usual). Treshold seems to be 65 euro, where it normally is 55. Also, the old promotion page is still up, but none of these (like the Duplo duck) get added to the cart. There is also a 25% off on Duplo sale. Pretty good prices, but my boy has already 2 crates of Duplo so had to stop myself.

Mr. Freeze is up in Europe (nowhere promoted on the website, as usual). Treshold seems to be 65 euro, where it normally is 55. Also, the old promotion page is still up, but none of these (like the Duplo duck) get added to the cart. There is also a 25% off on Duplo sale. Pretty good prices, but my boy has already 2 crates of Duplo so had to stop myself.

Tried to get my order through just now, but the store is fucked up (again) and it won't let me store my phone number and/or says it's invalid even though it's worked before so i said screw it and cancelled the whole thing :(

How long is the Freeze promo going to last presumably? I'll have to drive to the store next week maybe... If he's gone then oh well too bad...

melike75

Neo Member
I like the story and humor part. Nice use of "storyboarding" vs actual animation which would be a huge effort.

Curious if other people here have sig figs. I'd be very interested to see what anybody's sig fig looks like.

Exactly! Storyboards - thats a great way to put it. I'd love to fully animate it but it would probably kill me.

I could be wrong but somehow i doubt the maze is gonna be as popular as those 2...

Yeah, me either. Its a cool idea but I dont know if it has the broader appeal? Maybe we'll be wrong...

(Yes! Multiquoting! Thanks guys)

Osahi

The Maze is really expensive over here compared to elsewhere (well, price per part is around 0,1 euro, so that's that). It's becoming the usual here in Belgium.

I would've jumped on it if it was around 60 euro's. 80 is just to high for me.

I was more worried about the maze disappearing in a day like Mars Rover or Research Institute.

I believe TLG recognized that the situation with the Rover was bad after the fact, so they did another run of the Research Institute to make sure the problem didn't get repeated.

I still see Research Institute, Exo Suit, Ghostbusters, Birds, Wall-E, Doctor Who & BBT on the shelves around here. Crazy that the maze will make that 7-8 actively available sets.

Exactly! Storyboards - thats a great way to put it. I'd love to fully animate it but it would probably kill me.

Yeah, me either. Its a cool idea but I dont know if it has the broader appeal? Maybe we'll be wrong...

(Yes! Multiquoting! Thanks guys)
Animating would take some time, but is fun to play with. The times I have done stop motion vids I used Frameographer.

Osahi

Just finished building the Imperial Shuttle Tyderium.

Holy moly, is this thing a beast in flight mode! To bad it doesn't include a stand of sorts to display it this way. Might dig into my old Lego-case at my parents to build it something to rest on.

Liked the build too. Loved the sail for instance, all the small builds coming together to build something really sturdy. They could have build it with normal bricks to, but they just went the extra mile for sturdines. Lots of details overal in the build to, and nice movable parts. The way the sides open to show the hold: love it. The way the wings fold down until they get locked into position: great! It alle makes me realize how much I love the Star Wars ships as Lego-sets. Should get into UCS ships, but I find them to pricey (I rather invest in my number 1 Lego series: modulars)

Holy moly, is this thing a beast in flight mode! To bad it doesn't include a stand of sorts to display it this way. Might dig into my old Lego-case at my parents to build it something to rest on.

Liked the build too. Loved the sail for instance, all the small builds coming together to build something really sturdy. They could have build it with normal bricks to, but they just went the extra mile for sturdines. Lots of details overal in the build to, and nice movable parts. The way the sides open to show the hold: love it. The way the wings fold down until they get locked into position: great! It alle makes me realize how much I love the Star Wars ships as Lego-sets. Should get into UCS ships, but I find them to pricey (I rather invest in my number 1 Lego series: modulars)
You need UCS ships. You don't think you do, but once you build one you are stuck. Hey, at least it is only one or two per year.

melike75

Neo Member
You need UCS ships. You don't think you do, but once you build one you are stuck. Hey, at least it is only one or two per year.

I love my UCS imperial shuttle. I got in at the right time.

This is a great idea and you pulled it off quite well. I think the storyboard works fine. I really enjoyed all three of the videos. The friends review was the best so far.

Thanks! They take a heck of a long time so its good to know that its working..relatively. Room for improvement of course.

Seconding the Friends video love.

I'll pass that onto my daughter and my 6 year old son who was the crash test dummy ;)

Anyway - back onto LEGO! (All this attention is making me nervous!)

Got my UCS Imperial Shuttle at the right time as well. It was my first UCS set, and was either my first or second big set after coming out of the dark ages. I can't remember if I got that or Fire Brigade first.

Got my UCS Imperial Shuttle at the right time as well. It was my first UCS set, and was either my first or second big set after coming out of the dark ages. I can't remember if I got that or Fire Brigade first.

Yeah i got out like a TAD too late to still buy it at MSRP, BUT i was still able to snag it for around 250 sealed a couple months later, which i now realize was STILL a damn good price if you compare it to prices nowadays...

Rootbeer

Banned
Mr. Freeze order placed

Went with Super Hero Airport Battle, as it is the last Civil War set I need. Can't believe I am about to own my THIRD quinjet. Can we please get some new vehicles in the next movies, Marvel? Granted all three look different, but how about something unexpected? :)

Also threw in some Mixels that were on sale at half-off (also ones I didn't have yet!)

Now... I need to make plans to get the Batcave at some point. Thankfully I probably have lots of time.

Grats to everyone picking up the new Maze set. It's not up my alley, though.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

UCS ships are less swooshable, have less play features and are double or triple the price. Minifig scale ships are the best.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Got my Mr Freeze order placed, not missing out on that.

1 Creator Deli Corner
1 Harley Quinn/Deadshot bike chase thing
and another Mighty Micro this time with Robin and Bane.

Figured id pass on the BatmanVSuperman sets- not sure I need the Batmobile that much.

hmmblah

It was my first UCS as well and I snagged it for $79 in a damaged (but sealed) box. Now I have the backlog of all backlogs and I just keep buying more. Really, really need to get my mancave finished.

Koren

UCS ships are less swooshable, have less play features and are double or triple the price. Minifig scale ships are the best.
UCS shuttle is more minifig scale than the current one. I'll give you swooshability, but I wish I had bought the UCS one.

I don't care for play features myself...

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Placed my Mr. Freeze order as well, to go along with my classic batcave.

Ended up getting the Mystery Mansion to get me above $75 and it was something on my buy list as well so it all worked out. I have the Mystery Machine one and I love it, so I guess now I need to get the rest of the Scooby sets!

So I've been dying to get my hands on some of the Lego Dinosaurs, but I don't want the JW sets. Loose official ones are quite a bit, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for bootlegs. I see people have been buying the superhero figs, but these are maybe a bit different.

Ryuuroden

New Pick a Build model is a Butterfly and a black plane. New York City got a Butterfly and the Statue of Liberty. I have no idea yet what color green they used for that special Pick a Model but if its sand green I will have to contact my cousin who lives there.

I have no idea yet what the bricks used are other than vague words like slopes, pastels, light blue, wings, black, orange translucent pieces, etc. I am working on getting more info as I haven't been to the store yet.

Calcium

Banned
So I took apart my Millennium Falcon today so I can rebuild it on Tuesday when I get the bluray. I just tossed all the pieces into a box without sorting them. That'll be a fun.

So I've been dying to get my hands on some of the Lego Dinosaurs, but I don't want the JW sets. Loose official ones are quite a bit, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for bootlegs. I see people have been buying the superhero figs, but these are maybe a bit different.

Am I allowed to post a link or is that frowned upon? I know the name of the site has been mentioned before but I don't know about directly linking.

There's a website called AliExpress, and if you search "Lego Dinosaur" you're gonna get a bunch of results. The two I recommend are:

The 8-pack for $10 that comes with 3 Raptors, a Dilophosaurus, a Pteranodon, a baby Triceratops, baby T-Rex, and baby Indominous Rex. I have this set and aside from the baby Rex having sort of weird coloring, they are all flawless as far as I can tell. They're solid, plastic feels like Lego, the printing is perfect, the baby ones are even based on the normal sized designs (the Trike is EXACTLY like the old Lego Dinos version, just shrunk down. It's my favorite one of the group)

The second group this manufacturer makes is a full-size T-Rex and I-Rex for about $20, and while I don't have them yet if they're anything like the smaller dinosaurs they're gonna be nearly flawless as well.

I really hope whatever company makes these puts more out, or we get another wave of dinosaurs for Jurassic World 2 with some "good" dinosaurs... Did anyone else notice that ALL the dinosaurs they released in this wave are carnivores? (I may have brought this up before, sorry for repeating myself) They didn't even bother recoloring the Trike for the "throwback" jeep set, they instead made an entirely new mould for a dinosaur that isn't even in the fricking movie.

It is a fantastic set-I really enjoyed building it. Now go raid your collection and make your own stand!

Have been eyeing the bootleg dinosaurs as well, since the Lego sets are so incredibly weak... But so far decided I don't need dinosaurs in Lego form. Will just keep it at the normal JW/JP dinosaur line. Direct links are fine (there have been plenty).

Yesterday I was in a comic book shop I hadn't visited in about a year. It is a very high end comic book shop, which sells very expensive figures / models as well. They now also started selling a couple boxes of Lego and... A whole display full of bootleg Lego figures (super heroes and Star Wars). Such an odd fit, such a shame.

Osahi

It is a fantastic set-I really enjoyed building it. Now go raid your collection and make your own stand!

I will. Do you have a manual and part list of yours? Love the ghost with stand btw. Hate that I missed that one only saw the show after it was allready oop

Slave 1 is an unbelievable set (second only to UCS Imperial Shuttle) It has way more play features than your average UCS set and the minifig collection is greate.

Slave 1 is minifig scale. :)

I know, that is way i want it :D it is als one of the coolest Star Wars vehicles

Compromise: buy it and then leave it in your closet unopened.

The current UCS version would be cheaper to buy than the 2006 or 2010 sets.

Nah, if I buy a set it is for building it.

Might see if I can save money for the slave 1 in time for may the fourth. Thing is, my wife and I still need to grab brick bank, and she will more easily be convinced to get that one (she doesn't like sw sets :( )

I just rewatched Return of the Jedi, and all I could see was Lego sets. Yup, there's the UCS shuttle landing in the Death Star hangar. Tons of figures in that Hutt Palace place. Oooh, maybe it's not too late to get that and the Rancor pit. Then they go on to the barge - at least I have the smaller one. Off to Dagobah, now why didn't they ever revisit Yoda's hut? Oh well, there's tons of rebel ships here. All kinds of exclusives. Oh my, Endor. I kinda want the Ewok Village now. And hey, I have an A-Wing like that now, but not a B-Wing. And why on earth isn't there a new Lando? Oh, and that film captured the Final Duel set really nicely, they even have a collapsing platform...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom