• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
. Off to Dagobah, now why didn't they ever revisit Yoda's hut? Oh well, there's tons of rebel ships here. All kinds of exclusives.

Ι've been waiting for a new Yoda's hut for ages.

Also a Home One model needs to be done at some stage. I can appreciate that it's difficult to construct with LEGO bricks in reasonable size. And it's not exactly iconic (although it now appears in most Star Wars Battlefront game modes).

Ryuuroden

EAfNxnS.jpg

wMV2WOQ.jpg

These are the new bricks on the wall.

Turnstyle

Just a heads up for UK Lego Gaf. I was in in Sainsbury's earlier and they are clearing their stock of the Easter chicken man minifig. Just a £1 each!

Not my pic, but this is what they look like:

Bought one for my son
and I'm totally going to play with it when he's gone to bed.

Might see if I can save money for the slave 1 in time for may the fourth. Thing is, my wife and I still need to grab brick bank, and she will more easily be convinced to get that one (she doesn't like sw sets :( )

Brick Bank is one of the worst Modulars in a while.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Is feeling minifigure bags really a thing people do? I want the Tribal Woman but I was in the shop and I felt two bags using this guide and I couldn't feel anything at all and just felt awkward and I didn't have the patience for it at all!

Jimbro72

Is feeling minifigure bags really a thing people do? I want the Tribal Woman but I was in the shop and I felt two bags using this guide and I couldn't feel anything at all and just felt awkward and I didn't have the patience for it at all!

I don't do it, either. No patience for it and my skills at figuring out what it might be aren't all that great, which means it takes me even longer to feel up a bag in hopes of figuring it out. That is why when a new series comes out, I just order like 20-22 of them online and take my chances. Any missing ones I still need or want I then just get on ebay.

I keep telling myself I'm going to stop doing that and just buy a complete set on ebay and be done with it, as ordering that many usually nets me 9-12 from the series with a whole lot of dups, but I still fall for the hype once a new series hits and go that route anyway. I guess I don't mind getting extras usually. Just kind of sucks when 5 of the 20 are of the same fig and it's not even an army builder type fig, though.

Koren

Is feeling minifigure bags really a thing people do?
Yes, when you can (most of the shops I know that sell minifigures sell them in plastic boxes)

I'm not very good at it, and I'm feeling a bit bad at doing this, although I'm doing this to avoid dupes, not collecting an army of the same minifig, so I don't leave boxes full of unwanted minifigs for others at least.

ruxtpin

Banned
First hand experience? The only way I know to get an idea of what's available (Wall of Bricks) doesnt seem to be up to date...

Oh I mean the models posted several posts above. The little butterfly thing uses grey headlight bricks. I'm assuming all Lego stores should have those in stock within the next couple of weeks if those are next quarter's models.

Oh, I see...

I've never seen those "Pick a Model", in fact. They're built with bricks from the wall?

I stock up a bunch of 1x2 SNOT last time from the wall, I'm thinking I should have bought more, they're handy.

I got a bunch of 1x1 and 1x2 SNOT bricks the last time. Them getting 1x4s is like solid gold. I need to make a trip there to stock up. Maybe Tuesday if the weather is nice.

Maengun1

I've become something of a bag picking expert. I only got into the minifigures two years ago with the release of the first Simpsons series, but since then I've sought out almost every fig from each series and I've only gotten unintentional doubles two times ever, and those were times when I got impatient and basically gave up.

It's just a matter of moving the baseplate and the character sheet (since they're huge and in every bag) up to one corner, and then shaking all the other pieces down into the opposite corner of the bag. From there, isolate the smallest pieces because they're usually exclusive to a certain fig. For example, with the tribal woman you mentioned the baby piece is somewhat hard to identify but the feather is easy, it's just a matter of getting it on its own.

Depending on how picked-over the box already is, it can take up to an hour to separate out each of the 16 figs (or however many of the 16 are there). Some people don't think the money is worth the hassle and would rather just roll the dice (or they want multiples anyway), but I only want 1 of each character and I'd rather save the $4 a pop on duplicates. I actually think it's sort of fun trying to find the right figs, and I usually will just get 3 or 4 per trip to prolong the search. The only bad part is employees thinking you're a weirdo/shoplifter once in a while lol.

3N16MA

Banned

I was horrid at feeling bags at the beginning. I have become better and usually get what I want.

Better than getting duplicates and thinking they're different.

Koren

I filled 7 cups total
7 cups? That's dedication...

I usually think there's not many bricks I want on walls, especially not enough 1x4, 1x6 or 1x8. Several pieces are interesting, but after getting two dozen, I feel I'll never use them. There's a couple of exceptions, though (tiles, e.g. for mosaics, roof tiles, transparent blue pieces for water area...)

As others have said, it's a thing. I'm missing a few figs from series...13 maybe
and Mr Gold dammit Siegfried
but have everything else going back to series 1. Most of the stores in my area don't mind bag feelers but I typically go to my local unofficial LEGO store and spend 5-10 minutes getting all 16. I haven't been wrong in ages.

Thanks all for the reminder about the Mr. Freeze promotion! The post of that Audi earlier was the final straw so I snuck out to the store today.

Got the Marvel Airport battle (last one I needed from the line), the King's Mech (based on Phon's recommendation - I'm looking forward to it!) and both the Audi sets. Netted two Mr. Freezes for my trouble.

Seeing the Batcave in person again....I may actually bite on that before getting Brick Bank. May 4 is definitely the Tie...but the lure of the Batcave is strong.

Ponn

Banned
AND AWAY... WE... GOOOOOOOOO!

Reportedly these were found at LEGOLAND Billund. Keep your eyes open!

Whens the official release of these supposed to be, May?

I really like the architecture line and I really like the skylines sets but damn they are so tiny for the price. The price per piece ratio is deceiving too since they are all like 1 x 1 pieces.

AND AWAY... WE... GOOOOOOOOO!

Reportedly these were found at LEGOLAND Billund. Keep your eyes open!

1934725_10207732107836045_7143984408500529600_n.jpg
Ugh. Series 15 barely showed up here, and got cleaned out really fast. I only wanted shark guy and nothing else. Even if I am mostly done with the CMF stuff (except series 14. I went tad crazy for halloween stuff), I want to get the Disney stuff.

Rootbeer

Banned
Where is Whitefang's review!

HE IS LATE!

He usually has his review up before they appear anywhere for sale.

Did LEGO decide to stop sending him review copies? Or maybe he's just delayed

I just can't get a break from buying LEGO. Will need to visit the store for the 1x4 SNOT and Disney soon.
I never tried to take a break.

Good luck on the PAB wall. The dark grey 1x4 bricks from PAM were never in stock after the first week at my LEGO store. Really popular colors and items get snatched up quickly. I think there were 1x2 trans bricks or something for a previous PAM and those also were hardly ever in stock.

The black 1x3? curved slopes were wiped out by the time I got to the store on 4/8.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What's in the bag?

CfG7FwsUEAAmODi.jpg:large

oh yiss!

CfG7ILHUUAAQ3k6.jpg:large

also the store has a freebie for buying a certain amount of price

CfG7MryUsAAR0wp.jpg:large

what do they call this? mini-sets?

I think I saw a small shelf filled with old ones, I guess these were free but sellable?

I still have yet to find 15 anywhere. 14 is everywhere here still.

Wonder when these Disney ones are going to show up.

Yes, I wonder if the Disney CMFs will be delayed here in the states. Wasn't release of series 15 delayed 1 month in the states? I just only saw some for the first time in regular retail stores like Target just 1 or 2 weeks ago. Even the LEGO store had low supply (even running out) the first month.

As much as I like CMFs, I need the 4 month gap between series. The 3 month cycle of Mixels was too much if you collect them all. Thank goodness I'm done collecting Mixels except for an occasional interesting one with unique parts.

NysGAF

Punta Banda by Pieter, on Flickr

Ya'll sure were right about the Parisian Restaurant being a lot of fun to build and super creative in its construction. We took the set on vacation with us this week and it was so relaxing!

Ya'll sure were right about the Parisian Restaurant being a lot of fun to build and super creative in its construction. We took the set on vacation with us this week and it was so relaxing!

Now that's dedication. I wouldn't bother bringing such a large set on a vacation as I would consider it a hassle in weight and bulk once constructed.

NysGAF

Depends on how you travel. If you pack that in a box in the back of a van, it wouldn't be too bad.

That's exactly what we did. Had to make some fixes this evening to get it back to proper form, but everything survived. I was kind of hoping it would require me to rebuild it once I got home, but no luck.

Here's another angle...

That's exactly what we did. Had to make some fixes this evening to get it back to proper form, but everything survived. I was kind of hoping it would require me to rebuild it once I got home, but no luck.

Here's another angle...

Welcome! And as Phon said, terrific pic. PR is an incredible build and doing it on vacation sounds amazing.

I'm almost done the "Bag 1" portion of the 10248 Ferrari F40and loving every minute of it. It's been sitting in my shame closet for a while now...feels good to get back to sets that aren't focused on licensed Minifigures.

melike75

Neo Member
The Disney minifigs are out already? I dont know when the last series hit the US but I feel like it just came out over here in Australia. There's always such an explosion with people trying to get the rare/popular figure too. Facebook buy/sell pages and local forums I frequent were filled with people selling 20 shark guys for 20$ each just a month ago.

I dont know what its like in the rest of the world but whenever I read any local forums its all about sales and deals and its almost enough to sour me on the whole thing.

Boo!

(still want most of them tho but just give me another month or two. Who am I kidding - I'll probably buy them all online anyway)

melike75

Neo Member
As others have said, it's a thing. I'm missing a few figs from series...13 maybe
and Mr Gold dammit Siegfried
but have everything else going back to series 1. Most of the stores in my area don't mind bag feelers but I typically go to my local unofficial LEGO store and spend 5-10 minutes getting all 16. I haven't been wrong in ages.

My local toy shop only has the minifigs behind the counter so you actually have to ask for them so no feeling the bags there.
Otherwise my wife tends to go through them at the department stores. I have no patience whatsoever and normally get them wrong. I find im better off just buying a set online if I can.

I am seeing more and more people doing it though. I smile and nod knowingly ;)

Osahi

Shit, only three Peter Pan's? Sister-in-law is getting married in a couple of months and is a HUGE Peter Pan-fan, and my wife and I were planning to get her a Peter and Capt Hook s a little 'joke' present before we give her the real one.

That is the most even distribution ever in a CMF series. 3's and 4's only. Poor Mickey Mouse. 25% of those Mickey's will never find a Minnie and forever be single.

That is the most even distribution ever in a CMF series. 3's and 4's only. Poor Mickey Mouse. 25% of those Mickey's will never find a Minnie and forever be single.

I was thinking the same thing about the distribution. Lol at your Mickey comment!

On a side note. Yesterday, I picked up two large PABs, plus Frozen sleigh (marked 20% off), and Gotham City Cycle Chase. Just barely enough to get a Mr. Freeze promo. Asked nicely and the girl gave me a second Mr. Freeze. It's always good to ask nicely.

Also asked nicely at my local GameStop and got a Silver Centurion. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just a quick heads up - I'm going to be putting the following up on bricklink over the next couple of weeks once I've parted them out and bagged them up. If anyone would be interested let me know. Europe only unfortunately as postage will probably be too much for US.

- 10197 Fire Brigade
- 8043 Technic Excavator
- 9398 Technic 4x4 Crawler
- 10226 Sopwith Camel
- 7347 Highway Pickup

Clearing out and will probably stick with SW OT ships, Architecture, and selected expert creator sets.

I was thinking the same thing about the distribution. Lol at your Mickey comment!

On a side note. Yesterday, I picked up two large PABs, plus Frozen sleigh (marked 20% off), and Gotham City Cycle Chase. Just barely enough to get a Mr. Freeze promo. Asked nicely and the girl gave me a second Mr. Freeze. It's always good to ask nicely.

Also asked nicely at my local GameStop and got a Silver Centurion. :)

Looking at the distribution a bit closer, the LEGO sexism some complain about shows yet again! No female character has more than 3. Let the outrage ensue.

I'm not serious of course, but I do question why only 3 Ariel minifigs. Is it on purpose as not to eat into a future Ariel set or any of the existing Friends Ariel sets? *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom