• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

willp2003

Just read the brickset review of UCS Hoth. He didn't hold back on criticising it, but after seeing the back of the ion cannon and hanger doors I can see extra reason to hate it. It's a massive fail in so many ways.

Ponn

Banned
nzJ41M8.jpg

Something to whet your appetite, good sir?

It is still on display in my place... To me it's probably the best Lighthouse set Lego has put out... The old Creator one looks too simple in comparison, the Friends one is nice but only the Scooby one actually oozes atmosphere and elegance and doesn't just look "functional" if that makes any sense at all.

edit: I have seen pics of the upcoming one and... i don't think it's gonna dethrone the Scooby one.

Yea, I like the new creator one too but its the creepy feel and rocky terrain that I like about the Scooby one. I actually had an idea for a halloween moc involving that lighthouse on a cliff type build (which is why i'm liking that Ninjago lighthouse set) and something something Cthullu coming out of the water.

Called the LEGO store at Opry Mills to see if they could hold a Sandcrawler for me tomorrow. They are completely out of stock.

I am still going to go there, but no need to be there at open if the set I want isn't there and in threat of running out.
It lists as backorder on the website right now. If I order it during the double VIP sale but it doesn't ship until after it is done, do I still get the double points?

Ponn

Banned
Called the LEGO store at Opry Mills to see if they could hold a Sandcrawler for me tomorrow. They are completely out of stock.

I am still going to go there, but no need to be there at open if the set I want isn't there and in threat of running out.
It lists as backorder on the website right now. If I order it during the double VIP sale but it doesn't ship until after it is done, do I still get the double points?

Yea, when you order the points will still be doubled even if its backordered. They will just be pending till it ships but they won't take any away from you.

I just received 2 figs in the mail that i had to hunt down on BrickLink since i missed them back in the day. The first is: NRG Zane!

8Zi55h8.jpg

I wasn't into Ninjago minifig collecting before but that is SUCH a pitfall it's not even funny! SO many great figs and variations! I just love the light pastel blue color of this fig and i think he looks amazing! (unfortunately he has a cracked elbow on the back but that's what you get for buying used)

The second is old school Spidey! Dat silver web printing is where it's at! The darker blue color really complements the suit too...

jLbuIbz.jpg

Man, it really bugs me how i missed all these figs back in the day and now i have to hunt them down paying sometimes outrageous prices for them when you could just pick em up back then for next to nothing!

I guess the lesson to be learned here is: Be mindful of what you think you're gonna like and buy it NOW rather than later!

teeny

So began my first proper MOC today. Experimenting with the front of a modular building. Not really sure where I'm going with it but am limited by available parts. Once I've got the front designed, I'll integrate it better with the sides and back of the building. Need to get some 1x1 tiles now to complete the brick wall!

I guess practice will make perfect!

riDXJIS.jpg

Koren

It is still on display in my place... To me it's probably the best Lighthouse set Lego has put out... The old Creator one looks too simple in comparison, the Friends one is nice but only the Scooby one actually oozes atmosphere and elegance and doesn't just look "functional" if that makes any sense at all.
I also really like the Scooby Lightouse, but the fact it's not enclosed really bothers me even more than in other sets, because the half-platform make this too obvious. Also, I'm not fond of the "door" that open in the middle of the wall. Even the remains of a broken platform would have been welcome, I don't think the theme warrant nonsensical architectural decisions...

I'll probably buy it, though.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Of course, I could be taking this as a sign NOT to get Sandcrawler. Since I have been hemming and hawing for two years now.

I have been the same way with the Sandcrawler. I'm going to pick up one UCS tomorrow, but I'm not sure which one I want.

1. Sandcrawler - Going away soon, looks cool
  2. Slave I - Probably the best choice here in terms of bang for the buck
  3. Hoth set - I have very few Hoth pieces (go figure right) but the reviews have been just so terrible

I have been the same way with the Sandcrawler. I'm going to pick up one UCS tomorrow, but I'm not sure which one I want.

1. Sandcrawler - Going away soon, looks cool
  2. Slave I - Probably the best choice here in terms of bang for the buck
  3. Hoth set - I have very few Hoth pieces (go figure right) but the reviews have been just so terrible
Slave 1 or TIE. Slave 1 is the better build. TIE is the better display piece.

TheFuzz

Brickset reviews 75098 Assault on Hoth! Lots of pics!

In short:

It's really too bad.

I really, really hope the folks at LEGO are taking the criticism against this set, as well as the recent Classic Batman set, to heart and hopefuly improve on these sorts of offerings in the future.

I lol'd at the friggin 8x2 plate lever of the ion cannon's exploding feature. What a train wreck. It's like someone pointed out the set's faults and the designer said "oh! I can make it worse! Watch!"

It's such a lazy effort. I know people compared the disappointing Batcave to this, but it's worlds apart. Batcave is still a maybe for me at least.

In short:

It's really too bad.

I really, really hope the folks at LEGO are taking the criticism against this set, as well as the recent Classic Batman set, to heart and hopefuly improve on these sorts of offerings in the future.

If they sell it 50% off like they did with the UCS B-Wing, I'd get it. That's a positive spin on it. :)

I like the UCS 60's Batman set. I think they packed quite a lot of the essence of the show as possible. I'd prefer the cave was light grey, but the tan is more accurate to the show color.

Hoth scene was just to immense and had a lot going on for them to try to pack into one set. Hoth could have easily be made into multiple sets (essentially it was).

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
So began my first proper MOC today. Experimenting with the front of a modular building. Not really sure where I'm going with it but am limited by available parts. Once I've got the front designed, I'll integrate it better with the sides and back of the building. Need to get some 1x1 tiles now to complete the brick wall!

I guess practice will make perfect!

riDXJIS.jpg
Nice mix of red and brown and great start!

Because the sides of the building arent on show its not always necessary to have them the same colour if thats a part issue but obv if there's an interior they'll then show.

Theres so many ways to do detailing that its just experimentation really! Search for 'the Lego Neighborhood book' by the Lyles, its great for modular inspiration.

ghostmind

In short:

This is an awful set.

It's really too bad.

I expected harsh, after CapnRex101 made some earlier comments about the set while in the review process. Kudos to him for not wearing the rose-tinted LEGO review glasses, and calling this set out for what it is - a pathetic cash-in on the UCS reputation.

I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point, as a LEGO Star Wars collector there are still some items of value for me in this set, but it won't be for a while, and it definitely won't be for full price.

Nice start, teeny! I hope you post more progress pics.

I am not particularly protective of the 'UCS' label but there is no doubt at all that this set is not deserving of such a description, instead serving to besmirch the entire range as its weakest member.
Lol. I am not even sure I'd by this at 50% off. It's too bad because I love Hoth.

I hope this marks the bursting of the speculator bubble.

TheFuzz

If they sell it 50% off like they did with the UCS B-Wing, I'd get it. That's a positive spin on it. :)

I like the UCS 60's Batman set. I think they packed quite a lot of the essence of the show as possible. I'd prefer the cave was light grey, but the tan is more accurate to the show color.

Hoth scene was just to immense and had a lot going on for them to try to pack into one set. Hoth could have easily be made into multiple sets (essentially it was).

Was it you and Phon or Silly that started pimping the cave? May have been another regular here, too. It's still on my list because of the positive feedback from people who actually have a fondness for the source material. I think I'll purposely save the batmobile for last, though.

Was it you and Phon or Silly that started pimping the cave? May have been another regular here, too. It's still on my list because of the positive feedback from people who actually have a fondness for the source material. I think I'll purposely save the batmobile for last, though.

It sure wasn't me, lol!

Jimbro72

Of course, I could be taking this as a sign NOT to get Sandcrawler. Since I have been hemming and hawing for two years now.

I think you should get it as I feel as though you may enjoy a lot of the build (the wheel treads be damned). I enjoyed the blend of technic to create the frame of it mixed with the use of plates to frame it in. Plus it has a lot of moving parts and play features that don't really take away from it being a nice looking display piece, if a big brown box is to your liking.

In short:

It's really too bad.

I'm not even going to bother checking out a review. I know it's hardly an ideal UCS type set and looking at it makes it seem very overpriced and underwhelming but I'm still going to get it for my collection....just not this weekend. Probably when I can pick it up for less than full price. Well less than full price.

Jimbro72

The May 4th invitation-only promo set:

qu08gxs.jpg

.....meh. I mean, I'd take it if I could get it this weekend or get it cheap for my collection but if it's going to go for insane scalper prices on ebay, yeah, not worth it to me then. I know the scale they are working with makes it very difficult but that falcon is just not good. Looks more like a bug or something getting stuck by a lizard tongue.

iosefe

the space slug set is extremely limited

every lego store only gets 30 i believe, and leftovers gotta be sent back

that should give you an idea of how bad the scalper prices may be

mantis23

Question for all of you Lego store experts: I've only ever purchased Lego at stores like Target because it's always been cheaper for me. I'm going to be going to my local Lego store this weekend to pick up Slave 1. My question is: How quickly do the VIP points hit your account? If I buy the Slave 1 on Saturday, would I be able to come back before the sale ends and pick up something else using those points?

TheFuzz

I think it was Ponn

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199038272&postcount=5294

I'll watch this later. When I built it I thought I would have enjoyed it as a kid. As an adult, it was good for parts and the tauntaun and bacta Luke.
Ah, you're right. Thanks!

Question for all of you Lego store experts: I've only ever purchased Lego at stores like Target because it's always been cheaper for me. I'm going to be going to my local Lego store this weekend to pick up Slave 1. My question is: How quickly do the VIP points hit your account? If I buy the Slave 1 on Saturday, would I be able to come back before the sale ends and pick up something else using those points?

It's pretty quick, like a few days. You're probably better off waiting and getting the Slave 1 on May 4th for the extra points, though.

iosefe

Yes. While there is a 24 hour period for things to update, often points are available very soon after a purchase. but if you are registering a NEW card and linking it to an account, that will take a bit more time than just a regular purchase on an already registered and activated card

You know I was messing around with a few figures and ended up trying to make a Woody that matches the new version of Buzz.

Honestly all they need to do besides giving him standard sized arms and legs is either print hair on a standard head and reuse the Toy Story 3 hat or add hair sculpt to that same hat.

Ponn

Banned

The batmobile is the first bag so that should make it easy to skip. Unfortunately it has the Batman and Joker fig so you would have to wait for their greatness.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
.....meh. I mean, I'd take it if I could get it this weekend or get it cheap for my collection but if it's going to go for insane scalper prices on ebay, yeah, not worth it to me then. I know the scale they are working with makes it very difficult but that falcon is just not good. Looks more like a bug or something getting stuck by a lizard tongue.

They should have used the 2015 Falcon as a scale. I don't think you could make the Falcon look like the falcon any smaller than that did.

tWbmggH.jpg

mantis23

Ah, you're right. Thanks!

It's pretty quick, like a few days. You're probably better off waiting and getting the Slave 1 on May 4th for the extra points, though.

I was under the impression the May 4th sale and double points deal starts 4/30 and runs through 5/4. Is this not the case?

iosefe

I was under the impression the May 4th sale and double points deal starts 4/30 and runs through 5/4. Is this not the case?
May the 4th Promotion starts tomorrow with the AFOL morning. DOuble VIP points active tomorrow.

Afer the may the 4th even, only The Battle on Takodana and Resisance Troop Transport will have double points

i believe items will have sale prices as well. can't remember

Ponn

Banned
May the 4th Promotion starts tomorrow with the AFOL morning. DOuble VIP points active tomorrow.

Afer the may the 4th even, only The Battle on Takodana and Resisance Troop Transport will have double points

i believe items will have sale prices as well. can't remember

:O So I could still order the Scooby sets I need on sale friday!!!!

TheFuzz

Ah, you may be right. I'm not into SW so I don't pay close attention to the promo but that sounds right. You should be able to check your account balance if you log into your VIP account. I want to say it updates every 24 hours but that could be completely wrong.

Jimbro72

I went with Battle on Takodana and Resistance Troop Transporter. 20% off, plus double VIP, plus 5% cash back on Discover card plus 2 freebies sounds like a great deal to me. I just wish some last years TFA sets were part of the sale. I still need a few of those sets.

Yep. Small order for me--Battle on Takodana and First Order battle pack.

I went with Battle on Takodana and Resistance Troop Transporter. 20% off, plus double VIP, plus 5% cash back on Discover card plus 2 freebies sounds like a great deal to me. I just wish some last years TFA sets were part of the sale. I still need a few of those sets.
I look forward to impressions in Troop Transport.

U.K. S@H doing 10% off Star Wars sets but does include UCS sets. Slave 1 ordered.

Nice choice.

Still hemming and hawing about Sandcrawler...I should take it being sold out in the store as a sign.
Now, if I get there tomorrow and randomly they have one on the shelf because someone returned it, it will be a sign I should buy it.

willp2003

Nice choice.

Still hemming and hawing about Sandcrawler...I should take it being sold out in the store as a sign.
Now, if I get there tomorrow and randomly they have one on the shelf because someone returned it, it will be a sign I should buy it.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I can't quite pull the trigger on the sandcrawler. Bit annoyed we don't get double VIP though.

When looking at the Batcave and the Hoth UCS set, at least the Batcave has redeeming features. The classic Batmobile, Bruce's office, the "climbing a wall" feature on the other side of the office, the Batcopter, and of course the amazing figures. It's overpriced and looks unfinished but it has good stuff in it. Hoth USC looks like it has a whopping nothing going for it. I was honestly looking forward to it because I kinda want a Wampa and a Taun Taun but I'd rather just BrickLink them than ever waste money on that set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom