• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltz

Just picked up a Morro Dragon set on clearance at Walmart for 20 dollars off ($49 dollars) I have been waiting to get that one on sale. Wu's Dragon was also on clearance for 10 dollars off.

Edit: and yes, the design of Kylo's shuttle was revised after it was given to various toy manufacturers. The original design was pretty much what LEGO released.

Thanks for the heads up, I also picked up the Morro Dragon today for $50. I was pleasantly surprised that their shelves weren't laid bare :)

I want the Moltor minifig. No real interest in the actual build. I'll definitely grab this set on sale for the minifig and parts. What's with the green knight's nose area? There's a pyramid of dots. Are those supposed to be freckles?

I believe so, i also dig the goatee though ;)

Those new big rock pieces and Moltor alone make this set an easy pick up (on sale especially)

Osahi

How many hours does it take to build a modular? I keep reading they are fun to build (except the walls) but never get a build time. I would love a Lego project that feels like doing a good puzzle or model (so something that can be spread over a week or even a month).

I built mine over three nights of about two hours building

More SW 2H news:

18 sets for the 2H, which likely does not include Rogue One, as those will be Fall/Winter.

Some of the 18 sets will be Constraction figures, including the rumored Boba Fett.

A new Clone Turbo Tank is also one of the 18 sets.

The 18 sets do NOT include 75098 UCS Assault on Hoth, 75143 A-Wing (Rebels), 75144 UCS Snowspeeder, 75145 Anakin's Podracer, 75146 2016 Advent Calendar, and 75159 UCS Death Star.

The previously mentioned "Encounter on Jakku" is a smaller set, and includes BB-8.
The previously mentioned "Resistance X-Wing" includes Lor San Tekka.
Unkar Plutt is also showing up in one of the sets.

It has been suggested by someone with reliable LEGO info in the past, that 75098 is the May 4th release. If so, what does that mean for the February VIP early release?

Jakku seems to be
the market place were finn and rey meet and get attacked
Would love it if it was the creature if the thief though.

Hope the x is a different build than Poe's.

neonglow

So Lego Avengers game comes out end of Jan. (reminder to get your preorders in) i'm hating to pay full $60 price for it though. I did it for Lego Batman 3 and still haven't even beat the game and its been on sale for like $10 over the holidays and dropped in price quickly. I'm thinking of just getting the $30 Vita version even though its not going to be the full game and then just picking up the full game on sale later.

That's what I do. I always order the $30 Vita version and pay $5 for shipping for a guaranteed minifigure. I've heard horror stories of people doing in-store pickup and the stores not getting them in or employees just taking the minifigures for themselves.

I have so many Vita LEGO games that I haven't opened yet from all the Gamestop pre-orders. I usually just wait to pick up the console version for $20 several months later.

So are we expecting the new sets to go on sale at midnight? I'm definitely buying the GB Firehouse, but I'm still debating if I should hold off on the Brick Bank until there is another special month to get VIP or a limited set.

That's what I do. I always order the $30 Vita version and pay $5 for shipping for a guaranteed minifigure. I've heard horror stories of people doing in-store pickup and the stores not getting them in or employees just taking the minifigures for themselves.

I have so many Vita LEGO games that I haven't opened yet from all the Gamestop pre-orders. I usually just wait to pick up the console version for $20 several months later.

You could do even better if you sell the Vita games (as you know they're pretty terrible anyways compared to their bigger brothers) and get the STEAM versions on a sale (often for 5 bucks or so) as they are most of the time the definite versions :)

Just built Silver Mine Shootout wth my son, wow that was brilliant, loved how it went together was so much fun building it.

I need similar now!

I'm not a fan of vehicles really so structures like this are where it's at for me!

So the addiction has begun. Started with Poe's X-Wing...then Kylo Ren's shuttle a day later :p

Now to get the Tie Figther and find the AT-AT and Red 5 X-wing.

I didn't think I would enjoy the shuttle that much (really wanted the mini-figures) but it looks so cool and it was a blast to build.

Welcome!

Your avatar suggests you may be in the GTA. If so, you need to get to Lasting Toys ASAP. That place is a LEGO wonderland.

Rootbeer

Banned
So are we expecting the new sets to go on sale at midnight? I'm definitely buying the GB Firehouse, but I'm still debating if I should hold off on the Brick Bank until there is another special month to get VIP or a limited set.

i'm still deciding on what to get...

I have $230 in VIP points so I could use that on the firehouse I guess.

Decisions, decisions.

Oh, an yes... midnight EST or around there. There are several hotly anticipated items so site could experience some load. Hard to say. If there were a strong promo for Jan then I'd say definitely, but I don't think the nexo promo will get people in much of an uproar.

Rootbeer

Banned
WARNING: graphic content to follow...

Photos from "Customize Minifigures Intelligence" on Facebook: "Once a year, thousands of recalled and returned Lego sets would be sent here to get scrapped. This is the scrapping exercise of year end for 2015. From the photos, we could see lots of Lego WALL-E 21303 being sent to the bin. Presume those were the one with neck problem. Also defective Lego Ant-Man 76039 were dumped here. The junkyard is responsible in destroying "returned" sets as well. Those fussy AFOL who demanded MISB condition box set for "investment" often return the less than perfect condition boxes of Lego. These Lego sets end up here to be destroyed as well. Lego could have replaced the blemish boxes but they rather scrap it than swapped out the contents for a new box. My heart is bleeding to see so many playable sets being crushed. If vacancy is available i bet many of you would apply to work there. In the mean time, enjoy the pictures. How i wish i could have that Temple of Airtjitzu and UCS Batman Tumbler."

Gallery below

https://imgur.com/a/40CGe

Oh, an yes... midnight EST or around there. There are several hotly anticipated items so site could experience some load. Hard to say. If there were a strong promo for Jan then I'd say definitely, but I don't think the nexo promo will get people in much of an uproar.

Yeah, I kinda wish we got the promo calendar for the year or at least the quarter ahead of time. It would really help me plan my purchases. Luckily after the Firehouse and Bank there aren't any sets that really call out to me. I tend to get stuff from movies or themes that I like and I have most of the ones I want already.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah, I kinda wish we got the promo calendar for the year or at least the quarter ahead of time. It would really help me plan my purchases. Luckily after the Firehouse and Bank there aren't any sets that really call out to me. I tend to get stuff from movies or themes that I like and I have most of the ones I want already.

Well regarding movies the new Batman v Superman sets are out. None of those are appealing? There are some new Star Wars sets, too.

Well regarding movies the new Batman v Superman sets are out. None of those are appealing? There are some new Star Wars sets, too.

I've never been a big superhero fan. I'll watch the movies, but I don't buy the merchandise. I got Poe's X-Wing and I have an older Millennium Falcon, but the other new Star Wars sets are too expensive for what they are. I'm hoping some of the future Star Wars releases are more appealing to my needs. Last year I did buy all of the Pirates and Deep Sea sets as well as the Detective Office and Parisian Restaurant. I may get the Cinema and Pet Shop this year if they don't sell out. The rumored volcano sets also sound like they could be cool.

That's so disgusting. I hope this goes viral and it pressures LEGO to donate these "defects" to kids in countries that can't afford LEGO.

I have to guess these are returns from retail partners (Walmart etc). My Lego store plows through scratch n dent merchandise as soon as they can put it out at 20% off. So seems weird that it would be from Lego themselves unless truly defective.

I'm speculating, but they might not be able to donate it. It might be part of contracts, taking back certain merchandise, or merchandise labeled defective (whether it is or not) that it has to be destroyed.

Lego seems to be a pretty altruistic company and a good citizen. I would be surprised to learn that they weren't donating it if they could.

Throwing those sets out is only upsetting if you only consider how much they are worth. The actual cost being thrown out is virtually nothing. It's like filling that dumpster with pennies.

Ponn

Banned
why not donate them to children's hospitals or something.. how dumb.

I'm not sure if this is in the US or not or may be applicable if its not but I used to work at Blockbuster and we had a similar process at each store destroying unsold tapes, dvds and merchandise. We were requrired to destroy the merchandise and had to do it in pairs to insure no one snuck anything out. It was for tax write off purposes and supposedly the company was getting a better tax write off than donating the stuff. It still sucks but yea thats what it was.

I'm not sure if this is in the US or not or may be applicable if its not but I used to work at Blockbuster and we had a similar process at each store destroying unsold tapes, dvds and merchandise. We were requrired to destroy the merchandise and had to do it in pairs to insure no one snuck anything out. It was for tax write off purposes and supposedly the company was getting a better tax write off than donating the stuff. It still sucks but yea thats what it was.

Also probably for the licensed stuff they would probably have to pay the royalties if they donated it. If they destroy it no royalty is probably due.

Been wondering as well. I'm seeing Star Wars tonight
for the 4th time lol
and it'll be over after midnight has struck so first thing I'll be doing is checking the site. Gotta start the new year off right!

pathos11

My father-in-law gave me some cash for Christmas and I'm planning on blowing it all on TFA sets. I got the Tie Fighter on Amazon for $55, and I plan on getting the First Order and Resistance Trooper battle packs. That leaves me with ~$20 (already have Rey's speeder).

The First Order Snowspeeder is $32 on Amazon. I wouldn't do it at $40, but at that price, I'm tempted. Does anyone have anything to say about it? I like the troopers and it's a good price/piece ratio, but it still feels a little underwhelming.

Double VIP is usually March, isn't it? Only big double VIP in February is 2x points on the architecture White House set around President's Day...

I think you are right. Dunno why I was thinking February in my brain. Just makes saving up that much easier. Thank you.

And picked up Knowhere Escape today at Meijer. It was on clearance for $30. Not an amazing sale, but better than nothing for a set that has all but disappeared.

boltz

Throwing those sets out is only upsetting if you only consider how much they are worth. The actual cost being thrown out is virtually nothing. It's like filling that dumpster with pennies.

You are right, costwise, it's probably not too much, but I hate seeing any good, useable product being discarded like that.

Got a great haul from the Target clearance section today - a Tumbler for $140 (30% off). The box was still in pretty good shape and it had a "repackage" sticker on it, but from what I could tell, it had not been opened. There were also a bunch of the King Crominus' Rescue sets for half off which was tempting, but I have no interest in Chima.

You are right, costwise, it's probably not too much, but I hate seeing any good, useable product being discarded like that.

Got a great haul from the Target clearance section today - a Tumbler for $140 (30% off). The box was still in pretty good shape and it had a "repackage" sticker on it, but from what I could tell, it had not been opened. There were also a bunch of the King Crominus' Rescue sets for half off which was tempting, but I have no interest in Chima.

I got a Tumbler in Target this time last year too. Box was a bit beat up, but sealed. Must have been an online return.

ghostmind

As some (most?) of you may know, I am a big supporter of LEGO designers receiving credit for their models. I would have added that feature to my "Best of 2015" list (as I did in 2014) if I had more time, as frankly finding some of this information is a very arduous process.

I am thrilled then that various LEGO designers have followed Mark Stafford's example on Brickset, and created Bricklists for the models that they have worked on.

You can see the lists here: http://brickset.com/bricklists/featured. There may be more lists that have not been recognized and pulled up to the "featured" flag. I've spent the better part of today going through the lists and being enlightened by some of the similarities between sets by the same designer, that I never noticed before.

For instance, did you know that the designer of the Maersk Train also worked on the imminent Prison Island? Or that Marcos Bessa helped to design the Cloud Cuckoo Palace?

Half an hour left of 2015. I just finished watching Return of the King (that, The Theory of Everything and The Force Awakens was a pretty good set of the last three movies this year). I will be furiously refreshing S@H soon, but I'm pretty certain they won't actually update until tomorrow.

Happy new Lego year everyone!

All the lego sets have gone up in price on Amazon and they are all out of stock lol. Even jabbas barge has tripled..

also whats the consensus on the value of these sets? say if i do manage to get the falcon or slave 1 will it likely hold its value or even go up? £120 is quite a lot for me..

The shuttle actually looks pretty good considering it's one of the more cheaper sets I've seen, same with the x-wing.

Falcon is a mass retail set and will sell millions. It will eventually be hard to find but hardly be rare. Slave 1 will get expensive like all UCS sets.

Edit: Haha, S@H is up with the new sets, but the shop is going mad. The price for GB HQ was about $10 less after I added it to the bag. Let's see how much it will eventually charge. Brick Bank was slightly more expensive though, so I'm waiting.

Half an hour left of 2015. I just finished watching Return of the King (that, The Theory of Everything and The Force Awakens was a pretty good set of the last three movies this year). I will be furiously refreshing S@H soon, but I'm pretty certain they won't actually update until tomorrow.

Happy new Lego year everyone!
In the midst of my annual LOTR watching myself. Coming up on back third of Two Towers. RotK is next.
I pray you were watching the extended versions, aka the real versions.

ghostmind

Falcon is a mass retail set and will sell millions. It will eventually be hard to find but hardly be rare. Slave 1 will get expensive like all UCS sets.

Edit: Haha, S@H is up with the new sets, but the shop is going mad. The price for GB HQ was about $10 less after I added it to the bag. Let's see how much it will eventually charge. Brick Bank was slightly more expensive though, so I'm waiting.

S@H has been doubling my sales tax for the last 6 months. Once the order processes, and I get the confirmation email, the tax is corrected. I've reported it to them months ago, but nothing has been done obviously.

I remain amazed at the shoddy back-end on the S@H site. For the #1 toy company in the world, LEGO should be able to afford some decent e-commerce designers/DBA's.

Ponn

Banned

Thanks, mad rush for the small tire escape set for awesome moustache guy.

I've decided i'm going to stick with my new years resolution of less Lego sets and not jump into Nexo Knights. I have so many sets in my backlog and it saddens me when I see boxes of disassembled lego sets. I'm sticking with modulars, UCS and ship Star Wars sets and Super Hero sets for figs. I am thought thinking of getting all 3 BvsS sets. I've done a 180 on them thanks to those cockpit pieces and reviews. I'm thinking of ways to modify the Batwing to make it look good and not like a drone.

ghostmind

One thing I am not seeing is the non-TFA Star Wars sets.

I wonder if they held them back (in North America) due to the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom