• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koren

In for Snow Queen, Penguin, a couple of Wolfpack, three Amigos, one of those spies (if the goggles work on a hairpiece, Ray is getting them), a banana and a babysitter.

The rest of the series is strangely dull, though.
I like it... More than many past waves. I could see myself ordering a full set on Bricklink, I've got far too many doubles for the last one (I can't feel the bags, and my luck is awful for this, I've bought 12 bags IIRC, and I have 3 triples and only 5 different figures :/)

The interesting thing about the Brickheadz and Kubros is that Angus MacLane, a Pixar guy and massive Lego fan (designer of the WALL-E set too!), has been doing builds like this forever. People have been flooding his Twitter about Lego and MegaBloks ripping him off. His latest tweet is actually in response to the Brickheadz announcement:

I wonder how long he's been doing them? I feel like I've been seeing him post them for ages now but I don't know how to even begin searching for when he started. Would be pretty shitty if Lego were ripping him off, or if the guy in the post above mind started making them after seeing MacLane's and then got hired at Lego and made them official.

Edit: His are called CubeDudes. Someone first told him about Taiwanese knockoffs back in April, here which prompted someone else to point out that MegaBloks had done it too here.

Edit 2: Ah, found an article about them. MacLane has been making them since 2009.

MacLane's style is different (and more innovative) in it does the heads at an 45 deg angle. The cube style like Brickheadz isn't anything super innovative. I consider them fairly different. The SD and minimalist form also isn't anything new.

I'm just happy that I'm completely uninterested in these, as in the Funko figures. I'm already tired of that look in games, and making a ton of characters fit into a super deformed mold isn't clever anymore. I'd rather have more minifigs where they can add all kinds of stuff to a basic body - although I guess the general idea is actually the same there.

Cool if it adds more parts like the black kitty tail. Cue Ninja Kitty.

Ninja Kitty! I would be surprised is Ninja Kitty isn't in next LEGO movie

I was checking on Bricks & Pieces for the new blade part for Nexo, to see if I can make a few more custom weapons - and it turns out they've refreshed the inventory. All kinds of new parts are available, except obviously most licensed prints.

Made a huge order for web handles, unprinted Nexo shields, sushi tiles, some minifig parts and two complete (albeit expensive) Raganas, plus a bunch more of new parts. Guess I won't need to get that set now.

The only one I couldn't get was the tassle from the new Ninjago sets. That damn thing was more than $4 on its own!

I don't know if I caught it before scalpers caught on or if the generally high prices are set to scare off investors. Either way it's great for me - to pay a premium to not have to buy a bunch of useless extra sets.

Thanks for the heads up!!! Gotta hit it soon before really popular stuff disappears. Unfortunately I just went on vacation. Will have to figure out some night to search for parts.

Is there any warning signs or notices when they refresh?

2AZaG7i.jpg

In stores as early as tomorrow (or now for those that ignore street dates).

Oh geez. Seems like Disney figs just came out...or lack of availability makes it seem that way.

Gonna have to hit LEGO store soon for those.

ruxtpin

Banned
If Thrawn is showing up on Rebels, I might have to actually watch the show now. I've bought some occasional Clone Wars sets, but tried to get into the show multiple times without success.

I was checking on Bricks & Pieces for the new blade part for Nexo, to see if I can make a few more custom weapons - and it turns out they've refreshed the inventory. All kinds of new parts are available, except obviously most licensed prints.

Made a huge order for web handles, unprinted Nexo shields, sushi tiles, some minifig parts and two complete (albeit expensive) Raganas, plus a bunch more of new parts. Guess I won't need to get that set now.

The only one I couldn't get was the tassle from the new Ninjago sets. That damn thing was more than $4 on its own!

I don't know if I caught it before scalpers caught on or if the generally high prices are set to scare off investors. Either way it's great for me - to pay a premium to not have to buy a bunch of useless extra sets.

I hope they don't sell out of a lot of those parts soon. Checking out some stuff with my mobile phone and found this:

EDIT:
Female ass for sale. Actual screen grab with no photoshopping.

gsrjedi

Question on using VIP points. I've got $50 in points right now and $20 are set to expire this year. I figured I'd use them on the Disney castle. I'm guessing not, but would I get VIP points for the rest that I spent in cash? Or if I wanted those points should I just get something cheap with my soon to expire points?

Rootbeer

Banned
It feels like only yesterday I was finding the Disney series... well, I hope I can get lucky and find these a little early like last time.

However... if this starts to become a trend I'm in trouble

dvnNvkF.jpg

Picture from my local TRU. Thankfully, a few weeks AFTER I already got my set (at Target.)

I'll be forced to get them at the LEGO store on street date (which is a fair bit away from me) T__T

Koren

Question on using VIP points. I've got $50 in points right now and $20 are set to expire this year. I figured I'd use them on the Disney castle. I'm guessing not, but would I get VIP points for the rest that I spent in cash?
You get VIP points for orders where you spend VIP points, if that's the question (unless I'm mistaken).

Obviously only on the amount you really pay, so on the cash part...

Tomorrow is my birthday! Time for some new LEGO!

Sounds like my wife and daughter are picking me up Poe's X-Wing and Brick Bank. Got some cash from my folks and that's going toward Tower Bridge and Big Ben. Never thought I'd buy TB but I need it to accompany Big Ben. I'm so glad it's STILL available (why is this set still available??).

Sounds like my wife and daughter are picking me up Poe's X-Wing and Brick Bank. Got some cash from my folks and that's going toward Tower Bridge and Big Ben. Never thought I'd buy TB but I need it to accompany Big Ben. I'm so glad it's STILL available (why is this set still available??).
Happy birfday! And TB is still around because it is awesome.
And uses tons of common parts. Still the greatest MOC parts pack ever.

Ponn

Banned
so what's the difference in LEGO Dimensions between the level packs and story packs?

Story Packs seem to have more levels and come with that extra buildable base for the portal. Level packs are snippets from a particular story, usually 2 or 3 quick levels. The two Story packs so far seem to have about 6 levels.

Man, the Ghostbusters Firehouse is really difficult to display. If you display it from the side, you get the benefit of being able to open it up and show off the inside, but... then it's just the side of the building you're looking at the rest of the time and there isn't exactly anything cool or iconic about the side of a random firehouse.

If you display it from the front you get the iconic face of the building, but 1) it can make if more difficult to open up and more importantly 2) good fucking luck finding a shelf deep enough to fit it.

It's almost something that needs to be on a coffee table instead of an art book or magazines, or somewhere it can bee seen from all angles and easily opened. For a while I had it sitting on my desk at work, but I got laid off and I've been rearranging my living room and wanted to have a little Ghostbusters corner with all my POP and Lego GB stuff, but I'm forced to put the Firehouse sideways. I'd leave it open but that isn't ideal either since then the hinged sections are just hanging off the shelf into open space.

):

So I've been building the UCS Sandrcrawler, I'm through bag 9, and I dunno this thing isn't wowing me like the Slave 1 or TIE. It's definitely not as annoying to build as the Tumbler, but I dunno I feel a bit disappointed in it.

One shop here has plently of Series 14 (and also a bit of 15, and a lot of Disney).

Another has... Simpsons 2 ^_^

My target still has monster series, Simpsons series 2, and the one before the Disney CMF. They gotta drop the price before I bite on any of them though.

Just a bit of a warning, I received the 2016 ghostbusters set from amazon UK this afternoon and it arrived with the transit labels stuck on the actual lego box with no additional packaging.

Mines undamaged though sticky (which would be crappy if it was gift) but I thought it would be as well to warn you all that this could be a possibility if you order lego from them in the future.

Just a bit of a warning, I received the 2016 ghostbusters set from amazon UK this afternoon and it arrived with the transit labels stuck on the actual lego box with no additional packaging.

Mines undamaged though sticky (which would be crappy if it was gift) but I thought it would be as well to warn you all that this could be a possibility if you order lego from them in the future.

That's very weird. Is there an option for that at checkout that you missed, maybe? Like, environmentally sound packaging or something?

You can leave packaging feedback on amazon, worth doing in this case.

ghostmind

Apparently the CMF16 distribution, as per CM4Sci:

5 each
Banana Guy
Arabian Knight
Spy

4 each
Serenader
Imp
Hiker
Rogue
Dog Show Judge
Spooky Boy

3 each
Babysitter
Pirate
Cyborg
Ice Queen
Penguin
Kickboxer
Wildlife Photographer

5 each
Banana Guy
Arabian Knight
Spy

4 each
Serenader
Imp
Hiker
Rogue
Dog Show Judge
Spooky Boy

3 each
Babysitter
Pirate
Cyborg
Ice Queen
Penguin
Kickboxer
Wildlife Photographer

Good for Banana collectors I guess, but typical that the weakest figure gets 5 while all the female characters get 3. At least we can still get three amigos even if someone already took one. And I'm gonna raid that box for rogues. I managed to make a decent Eowyn out of the recent dark knight, maybe a rogue can make Faramir.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member

Happy Birthday!

I went into my Lego store yesterday to get the Tower Bridge to match my Big Ben, but instead I walked out with the Porsche 911. I didn't realize how large 1:8 scale is until they had it built in the front window. Now I still need to get the TB :) there goes my budget.

Target has had the same sets on clearance for nearly 3 weeks and the prices have yet to go down any.

I always thought after each week that a product doesn't sell on clearance it gets reduced again.

These haven't been at my Lego store for a long time. Target is starting to clearance these. I would probably grab them now if you can.

Aww man alright sounds good.

I was planning on getting the big on for my fiancee for her birthday. Might as well get the entire line while I'm at it. If I can find them, that is.

R-User!

Man, the Ghostbusters Firehouse is really difficult to display. If you display it from the side, you get the benefit of being able to open it up and show off the inside, but... then it's just the side of the building you're looking at the rest of the time and there isn't exactly anything cool or iconic about the side of a random firehouse.

If you display it from the front you get the iconic face of the building, but 1) it can make if more difficult to open up and more importantly 2) good fucking luck finding a shelf deep enough to fit it.

It's almost something that needs to be on a coffee table instead of an art book or magazines, or somewhere it can bee seen from all angles and easily opened. For a while I had it sitting on my desk at work, but I got laid off and I've been rearranging my living room and wanted to have a little Ghostbusters corner with all my POP and Lego GB stuff, but I'm forced to put the Firehouse sideways. I'd leave it open but that isn't ideal either since then the hinged sections are just hanging off the shelf into open space.

):

Lazy Suzan attached to custom sized grey-painted round board in the middle of your dining table positioned askew. Done.

The problem I have with Ghostbusters HQ on display is the roof bows and pops off. It is sitting on my shelf next to modulars, and the roof looks like it got knocked askew, no matter how many times I fix it or rebuild it.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to use for legs to turn this Iron Man into a full-size figure?

G0ZExzk.jpg

Normally, figures from this like are too exaggeratedly cartoony to fit in with standard figures, but this Iron Man works for me as a good version of the classic design.

I know I could go with all yellow legs or a red crotch piece with yellow legs, but is a better option available?

3nqwm4d.jpg

5 each
Banana Guy
Arabian Knight
Spy

4 each
Serenader
Imp
Hiker
Rogue
Dog Show Judge
Spooky Boy

3 each
Babysitter
Pirate
Cyborg
Ice Queen
Penguin
Kickboxer
Wildlife Photographer

I can deal with that distribution with the exception of Penguin suit dude. That's gonna be the hard one to find in this series. Baby sitter may be a bit hard to find too for people that want the baby.

A bit surprised at 5 Arabian knights and spies. Seems like 4 would be good and bump up some of the others by 1. I guess costs for each minfig type play a big part in decision process.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to use for legs to turn this Iron Man into a full-size figure?

G0ZExzk.jpg

Normally, figures from this like are too exaggeratedly cartoony to fit in with standard figures, but this Iron Man works for me as a good version of the classic design.

I know I could go with all yellow legs or a red crotch piece with yellow legs, but is a better option available?

3nqwm4d.jpg

I don't think there is anything that would match classic Iron Man well yet. If LEGO ever does Reverse-Flash with dual color legs, that would work very well after swapping out yellow hip with a red one. Although, it seems LEGO is hesitant to use yellow hips (which would be needed for classic Reverse-Flash). They have been using Bright Light Orange instead anytime a yellow hip color is needed. I think it's to avoid it looking like nude. I can't think of any other reason. I only have some because the only time I've seen it was when LEGO did reprinted yellow classic space minifigs.

NOTE: I definitely do use my purely yellow leg assemblies to simulate nudity for sophomoric humor purposes. :)

mclem

So... I'm starting to take my first serious looks into the bigger, more impressive Lego sets, inspired by the announcement of the gorgeous Disney Castle - and leading on from that, I've discovered the existence of the whole retirement shebang.

Of the big sets I'm interested in, the most imminently at risk would appear to be Simpsons House and Pet Shop, with maybe Palace Cinema being iffy, too, plus I'm going back and forth on whether to go for the VW Camper. From a bit of research, it does seem to be apparent that there's very little warning given about impending retirement, so I thought I'd ask the experienced people here what their gut feeling is about the order those would be retired... and if I can afford to hold out until the next VIP points event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom