• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, yes. Though Town Hall was not bought at RRP. I bought the Detective's Office on August first last year which is what started all this, and I now have nine modular buildings, the Sea Cow, the Arocs, and various other things.

It's been a difficult year.

Seems like any set below $150 isn't worth getting for you. :)
Lol. Now get Temple of Airjitzu!

But for sub $150, this year it is all about Vacation Getaways.

EDIT: Finished the VW Beetle. That was good. REALLY good. You can definitely tell it is from the same designer as the Ferrari F40 from last year, as it has many similar techniques of small little builds put in with their angles restricted by clips or other bricks. The way the angles and curves are achieved is so well done.

My only real complain of the set is that things don't line up as perfectly as they should on the hood, so if you press down on it the side angled pieces pop off instead of lining up with the studs. If you press on the angled sides, it will align and snap into place, but perhaps I wasn't as precise as I should have been while building.

I will post pics and more detailed impressions tomorrow. I will also line it up with the other Creator Expert vehicles to show it in comparison to those.

Lol. Now get Temple of Airjitzu!

But for sub $150, this year it is all about Vacation Getaways.

The camper is my next purchase. I'm aiming to build the UCS Tie & buy Vacation Getaways before the remaining Marvel sets hit on August 1. My only other pending purchases are the Brick Bank & Beetle, and I have time for both.

Edit: Does anybody else think TLG has an exceptionally conservative agreement in place for the Rebels sub theme? There is a (solid looking) big ship coming and 3 of the 5 figs have been released several times before.

August is going to be killer for me. All those Marvel sets, and then add Disney Castle on top of that? My birthday money is going towards Disney for sure, but the super hero sets will have to wait for deals to come through.

Made a small victory today and completed my set of the 4 Minecraft Micro World sets. Ive had 3 of them for ages, but never got around to getting "The End" set off of Ebay unopened for $20.

I've only built the original Cuusoo set, but the other 3 are unopened. I've been wanting all of them so I can mix them all together and make my own custom landscape with it.
Strangely I never got into Minecraft the game much or the later series of Minecraft LEGO sets, but I just really like the look of the Micro Worlds.

I wish LEGO would do more Micro scale stuff. The Mini-Modular set a few years back was the set that got me back into LEGO, and eventually I'm planning on buying the pieces needed to make Mini versions of the other Modular sets. I designed a few of them myself in the LEGO Digital Designer (Pet Shop and Town Hall), and I found a site with good looking versions of the others. I'd love for LEGO to release another official Mini-Modular set, but I haven't seen any signs of that happening sadly.

I do have some smaller sets as well, really, but the main theme I'm into is modulars which obviously only has big sets, and the Sea Cow is really the show-piece of the LEGO Movie theme - I have Benny's Spaceship (etc) and some other stuff too!

I just went all-in on Technic at the start for some reason!

But yeah, in general bigger sets definitely do it for me more than smaller ones. I'm in it for the relaxation of the build so the longer it can be extended the better.

Koren

Haha, yes. Though Town Hall was not bought at RRP. I bought the Detective's Office on August first last year which is what started all this, and I now have nine modular buildings, the Sea Cow, the Arocs, and various other things.
... nine?

Not like... nine different?

I mean, outside of the six you may have found at normal price, and Town Hall, there's Fire Brigade and Green Grocer?

That's an impressive start (even if you haven't found older modulars)...

I'm mostly in the same case, but that make the hobby expensive :/

... nine?

Not like... nine different?

Yeah, I didn't really mean to.

Detective's Office and Brick Bank I got from LEGO (with bonus VIP)
Parisian Restaurant, Palace Cinema and Pet Shop I managed to find at around £20 under RRP each
Grand Emporium I paid a little more than RRP for.
Fire Brigade I paid a bit more than that.
Café Corner a bit more than that.
Town Hall about the same.

I've paid substantially more than RRP overall I guess, but nothing that's so far out-there that I couldn't bear to pay it. Like, I haven't gone over £350 for a set yet. The last two might be a challenge to keep under that and because I'm so close that I'm pretty much resigned to having to have them all. It will be an amazing collection though if it's ever done.

Need to investigate BrickLink-based options.

Koren

"A bit more" for some older modulars a "bit" over RRP, especially Cafe Corner, is just impressive... Used, I guess?

I'm bricklinked Green Grocer (changing the color, though), and I'm about to build something like Cafe Corner ("something like" because I like most of the design, but some parts are insaleny expensive, and I want a interior at least for the lower level).

"A bit more" for some older modulars a "bit" over RRP, especially Cafe Corner, is just impressive... Used, I guess?

I'm bricklinked Green Grocer (changing the color, though), and I'm about to build something like Cafe Corner ("something like" because I like most of the design, but some parts are insaleny expensive, and I want a interior at least for the lower level).

How did you figure out which pieces to replace for the alternate color Green Grocer? Or do you just replace all the Sand Green pieces?

They're all new/sealed apart from Café Corner, which I bought ready-Bricklinked from here, of all places!

I should probably explain that when I say "a bit more," we're talking £50-£100. It's probably a lot really, but in the context of what these sets can sell for it's not that bad.

Koren

How did you figure out which pieces to replace for the alternate color Green Grocer? Or do you just replace all the Sand Green pieces?
I downloaded the instruction booklets and worked with this...

I indeed switched the sand green pieces, but also switched dark green for dark blue (or else it would have been strange) and some of the blue for red (for the awning, to avoid blue on blue). That's about it. I'm still looking for a good inverted slope for the curtains (keeping dark red would do, but it's insanely expensive... and I've yet to find an alternative).

Beware, though, pieces are 1x8 in sand green, but you'll only find 1x6 in sand blue... You can't do a 1:1 substitution!

Plus a couple other substitutions to keep the price down: the windows (I prefer normal windows to train ones, anyway), some alts (1x6 arches and 1x2x2 panels mostly). I've only a single printed dragon 1x4 tile instead of 3.

I also switched some parts for other reason than cost: it doesn't make sense to use white 1x2 with groove in some places, for example. I had them, but I used 1x2 without grooves, I think it's better. Some choices are probably done by Lego to limit the number of different parts, or use parts in stock...

Also, I switched some white windows on the back for tan ones, so that it fit better with the tan lines in the wall. I prefer it that way.

BTW, for people owning it, is it normal that the wheels of the baby carrier (?) don't fit well?

Koren

I should probably explain that when I say "a bit more," we're talking £50-£100. It's probably a lot really, but in the context of what these sets can sell for it's not that bad.
Since the lowest price for CC (new and complete) on BL currently is about 1500£, no, 100£ isn't "a lot"...

Even for TH, it's not that much...

ghostmind

The LEGO Batman Movie new scenes:

sreEbyb.jpg

bcQIzgK.jpg

qmpWrXe.jpg

J6CONAH.jpg

Also:

SW6wUzq.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Robin's new hair piece is amazing. And those goggles! That is going to make for a very unique minifig that's for sure.

Robin's new design is very "what in the...!?" but, I trust this movie and it seems like it might be an interesting choice.

Love joker's new hair piece and face. Different is good!

So that Robin is ...male then? He reminded me of the female Robin from The Dark Knight Returns actually...

As for the GG baby carriage wheels, i just checked and they are a pretty tight fit, it shouldn't be loose.

Koren

As for the GG baby carriage wheels, i just checked and they are a pretty tight fit, it shouldn't be loose.
It's not that they're loose, it's that the 3x2 plate above is a quarter millimeter too large to allow the wheels to reach the base of the stud. The two pairs of wheels are slightly (that's a tiny detail) in a V shape, if you see what I mean.

It's better when you realize that you can turn the wheels to put some platic parts of the wheels in a good position.

Yes, I'm annoyed with a tiny detail, that's a tribute of how good is this build...

Found 5 series 16 today at toys r us. Got 2 hikers, splinter cell, spooky boy, and Cairo swordsman. Since I grabbed the last 5 they let me keep the box.

Rootbeer

Banned
Grats Necta

I went searching for Series 16 again today (No luck on Monday), found nothing, again...

I'll be stopping by TRU again Thurs and Friday... hoping my luck changes.

Koren

You will be surprised then how much entire themes and small sets add up. :).
How, I don't doubt it. I consider myself lucky that I'm not that interested to smaller sets (I'm buying them as much for displays as for building).

That being said, I think I'll quicly be addicted to Bricklink...

Ponn

Banned
The LEGO Batman Movie new scenes:

snip

I like the new hair molds. I don't care who is voicing Robin thats gonna be my Carrie Kelly Robin fig.

I heard, and think people were figuring on them showing at least some Lego Batman movie sets but i'm wondering if they have been so coy on showing clips, promos or trailers for the movie because it would give away their plans for any sets.

ghostmind

I like the new hair molds. I don't care who is voicing Robin thats gonna be my Carrie Kelly Robin fig.

I heard, and think people were figuring on them showing at least some Lego Batman movie sets but i'm wondering if they have been so coy on showing clips, promos or trailers for the movie because it would give away their plans for any sets.

They are going to be showing two LEGO Batman sets at SDCC - the Batmobile, and the Joker Notorious Lowrider.

Wow, I'm not much of a DC guy but I LOVE the character designs in Lego Batman Movie. I love Joker's hair and the way his mouth looks, I can already imagine how it's going to animate. Robin looks amazing and very unique (I wonder if the goggles are part of his/her hair?) I wonder if Michael Cera is voicing but it's still girl Robin from... what is it, Dark Knight Returns? Or would that cause a shit storm for a guy to voice a girl character? Bob's Burgers does it...

Depending on what the other characters look like (the first teaser showed some including BigFig Bane right?) this could be the first time I try to buy all the DC sets in a theme. Or at the very least shell out of BrickLink to get them all.

None of these sets ever really enticed me but I would probably buy the shit out of a Corvette Stingray.

Oh my god my jaw dropped. I would buy one so fast. My dad would probably buy two.

namtab37

Neo Member
That Joker lowrider needs to be a set. I know it will or at least I hope it will.

According to an official press release on the brick fan

The LEGO® Batman Movie
Before heading to the big screen on February 10, 2017, The LEGO® Batman Movie’s Batman™, Batgirl™ and The Joker™ will share center stage at the LEGO Booth. Together with LEGO Master Builders, attendees can build a large-scale model of Batman on Thursday, followed by Batgirl on Friday and The Joker on Saturday. Fans will also get to preview two LEGO building sets, The Batmobile and The Joker™ Notorious Lowrider, inspired by the film, and take a selfie to share via social channels on-site with LEGO Batman using a custom brick-built “Bat Booth.” There will also be talent signing with the cast of The LEGO Batman Movie in the LEGO Booth on Saturday, July 23rd . A life-size version of LEGO Batman made entirely out of 53,998 LEGO bricks will be making a special appearance at the WB booth, #4545.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom