• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbro72

Well speak of the devil, I mention how I'd still been waiting for my Technic Porsche to ship after nearly 2 months and I just within the past hour got a shipping notification for it. About time. So if anyone else in the US still has one on order from June 1st, looks like they are finally starting to ship here. Now I just need to finish building the Arocs before it gets here.

Ponn

Banned
I got a big package from China the other day. I opened up today and figured I would share some pics. I know some people are interested in these figs and how they look so if I can help in that regards. Again I don't condone buying bootlegs of figs Lego makes so I will only post ones that haven't been made. And goddamn like every packed I opened was "Why in the world hasn't Lego done this fig yet??!!" Anyways.

2ABVUVa.jpg
That forehead
love this fig, FINALLY someone for Wolvie to fight. Love that print job, not a big fan of the hairpiece. Here's a side view of more of that paint job and without the hair piece
Bishop lost a hand in a fight with Sabretooth. Unfortunately as usual the QC on the figs and materials is suspect, thats the trade off. While trying to put the fig together I put too much pressure near the hand and broke it off at the stem. Stem is stuck in the arm piece so even though you get extra hands don't do me no good.
Yes.
Yass!! Love this Colossus fig, great printing all around it.
Sentry, the hero no one asked for. At least I could make him a stand in for Nuclear Man against Supes.
Not a fan of fake Archangel but honestly I liked the print on the fig and the wings
I tip my fedora at a great Spidey Noire fig, bonus back print pic because its excellent

Now for the hot fire everyone was waiting for.
and back
There was two versions and I got both, the other version
I think I like the print on this one better but I like the print on the hood piece on the first one. Thankfully I can switch hood pieces!

So theres that latest batch that some of us was flipping out over a month ago. Lots of new X-men figs and Spidey verse love. Now as I speculated before there have been some questionable bootleg figs that recently came out that are now suddenly being revealed in new sets and of course the SDCC figs. Does that mean some of these might be leaked figs about to show up in sets? i don't know, if you prefer to wait and see it might be worth it. Depends on how long you can go without Spider-Gwen in your life.

mclem

qvMvcP1.jpg

love this fig, FINALLY someone for Wolvie to fight. Love that print job, not a big fan of the hairpiece. Here's a side view of more of that paint job and without the hair piece

My first thought was "About to shave his head for charity"

Speaking of bootlegs, what's Lepin like for quality? While browsing the various retired modulars I saw a few dodgy Lepin versions out there.

(At the moment my completist nature is at war with my perfectionist nature...)

I have a question for those breaking down sets into parts and sorting your collections. How do you actually execute your sorting & organizing?

I have a couple of those Akro Mills organizers (2 x 64 drawer, 1 x 24 drawer), and two of those 3 drawer (12 x12) Sterilite organizers.

I was thinking of making the first drawer in 1x1 plates, the second horizontal drawer 2x1 plates etc. Then a row for bricks, etc.

Once i had too much of something I was going to move to the bigger Akro Mills, and then to the Sterilites if needed.

Anyone have a process that has worked well for them? I don't think I have enough stuff to break it up by color and type. Type will probably be good enough for me at this time.

ghostmind

So Hasbro unveiled today some of their upcoming Rogue One product, including a walking AT-ACT, and several figures.

And so far from LEGO...

Ponn

Banned
My first thought was "About to shave his head for charity"

Speaking of bootlegs, what's Lepin like for quality? While browsing the various retired modulars I saw a few dodgy Lepin versions out there.

(At the moment my completist nature is at war with my perfectionist nature...)

It's a sensitive topic so I will try and keep it short and sweet. Don't buy sets in production by Lego as knockoffs, its not cool. Less importantly keep in mind a purchase like that is strictly for display, it will never have resell value and the QC as you can imagine is questionable just based off the figs that are produced. Some joints are so tight the arm can't move, some the arms fall out. some heads super tight, some fall off when you breath on them. Clutch is always questionable. When dealing with a high piece count its probably worse. No numbered bags and instructions that look like they come from a Kinkos copier. You are better off bricklinking.

Bootleg Spawn minifig...

I might have to get that one.

It's a good print job, I wish his cloak and collar were two seperate pieces though. His head on mine was super loose, it kept falling off when I turned him upside down, again its QC issues though and varies from bag to bag. Still good for display though and you know Lego will never make one sooo.

Jimbro72

Have they fixed the issues with the gears in the Porsche set, or are they still just shipping as they initially did?

I doesn't appear they are ever going to issue a "fix" for that, as LEGO released a statement back in early June addressing the supposed gear issue basically saying it was intentionally designed this way so that's how it's going to stay and if you want to switch how the gears are, go ahead make the switch yourself by doing a couple of the steps in different order. Here is that statement:

" Thank you to all our dedicated fans for the comments regarding the GT3 RS by LEGO Technic.

It is correct that the gears in this model are not sequential as in the real Porsche PDK. This is however, a deliberate decision taken to ensure that we make the best possible LEGO version of this amazing car that both meets our design requirements and gives everyone a great building and product experience.

It was a considered decision taken during development that the gears running in the correct order meant that it did not result in a great experience when driving the car. Too many gears are engaged at the same time and smooth running with all those tolerances is just not possible.

If you switch the build in steps 267 and 269 the gears will run sequentially, and everyone who feels that this is the better solution should feel encouraged to do so.

LEGO Technic really is the ultimate open source design product and now that it is finally available, we look forward to seeing all the ‘improved’ models our fans create. After all, that is what LEGO building is all about.

We hope everyone will have a great building experience and feel a strong sense of pride from creating both our version and their very own LEGO Technic representation of a Porsche GT3 RS. We are very fortunate to have such skilled and dedicated fans that can spot this small deviation from reality and would like to thank everyone for sharing their ideas and expert knowledge."

Wanderer5

Got a busy week ahead of me, but I am going to be close to disneyland, thus Downtown Disney, and thus that Lego store they have.:p Too bad the ghost rider set won't be there yet.D:

Ya, ET and Gremlins are must buys for me.

You know Cyberman is only $6 on amazon right: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010R2RHGU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Holy Low Prices Batman!

Thanks for the heads up. Time to beef up my Cyberman army.

Doc Brown fun pack is $4.90! Other sets aren't that cheap. I guess too many Doc Brown and Cyberman sets made compared to demand? I hope this isn't a sign that LEGO won't make more Doctor Who minifigs.

Poor Sonic, having to carry around a yellow toilet lid...

Well, when Sonic gotta runs...

I would have liked Lord of the Rings ring instead (multiples too), but I understand the toiled lid represents the rings sizewise in the game better.

Oh man it just occurred to me that Sonic is not only getting a level but a hub too, and both Gremlins and ET will also be getting entire hubs. The amount of content in this game is staggering. O:

Found 2 full boxes of CMF last night at toys r us. Spent 20 minutes smoothing and now have a complete set with some extra mariachis.

Get hunting LegoGAF.

wetwired

Now that I think about it the choices of accessory builds for these packs are odd.

ET comes with a....phone? not a bike? I get it, ET Phone home but it's an inanimate object.

Then there's Gremlins with a camera...I don't even recall a Polaroid camera in the film and what I can only assume is the Barbie car Gizmo drives at the end of the first film...only it's red and not pink...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Now that I think about it the choices of accessory builds for these packs are odd.

ET comes with a....phone? not a bike? I get it, ET Phone home but it's an inanimate object.

Then there's Gremlins with a camera...I don't even recall a Polaroid camera in the film and what I can only assume is the Barbie car Gizmo drives at the end of the first film...only it's red and not pink...

Bright light? It's a lovely little camera though.

Oh man it just occurred to me that Sonic is not only getting a level but a hub too, and both Gremlins and ET will also be getting entire hubs. The amount of content in this game is staggering. O:

Aren't they pretty much ALL guaranteed new hub worlds? I mean each fun pak of the new waves we're getting is getting their own hub world with it right?

Can't wait for Mr T and Knight Rider hub worlds personally...

Was it a Polaroid the mom used when they first got Gizmo? Or when Kate is escaping the bar? Those are the two cameras I can remember, but not if they were Polaroids.

Here are a few detail pics of the Porsche. One thing I did was lower the headlights one stud, I think that allows them to blend in better with the body.

valkyre

^^ Great pictures! If I could criticise just one thing about Porsche set, are the multicolored parts used for the interior. I just think it would look so much better if it was black/grey combination instead of the "rainbow" they put in there! :D And those damn blue pins... ew. :p

Koren

I guess brick-building a bike is difficult... The problem I have is not that it's a phone, but that it's not hacked from a speak-and-spell, but I guess there's licences issues.

This is ET phone:
ET_Communicator_Cropped.jpg

I suspect that's not the barbie car. It seems to be R/C, but I haven't seen the movies for ages... I remember well the scene with the polaroid, though.

I just finished the VW Beetle. It beats the Camper. That's how good it is. Pics and more impressions later.

Problem is, I came up with an idea to use all that azure in another build, so I'll have to buy another one.

^^ Great pictures! If I could criticise just one thing about Porsche set, are the multicolored parts used for the interior. I just think it would look so much better if it was black/grey combination instead of the "rainbow" they put in there! :D And those damn blue pins... ew. :p

I agree with you. It's not so bad closed up and at a distance, but it is a bit awkward from some angles.

I just finished the VW Beetle. It beats the Camper. That's how good it is. Pics and more impressions later.

Problem is, I came up with an idea to use all that azure in another build, so I'll have to buy another one.

I am on the fence if it beats the camper. I need time to consider that, but the techniques used are definitely better. Even if it doesn't beat the Camper, it is really, really close.

IIRC they take a picture of Gizmo early in the movie as a hint that bright light hurts them. I don't remember if they use a camera again later against the Gremlins but they definitely use one on accident on Gizmo. It also makes sense IMO to not have it be Barbie's car seeing as Barbie is Mattel. I don't know if making it pink would have gotten them in any legal trouble or anything though, they probably just changed it because "lol boys won't buy a pink car" :T

Aren't they pretty much ALL guaranteed new hub worlds? I mean each fun pak of the new waves we're getting is getting their own hub world with it right?

Can't wait for Mr T and Knight Rider hub worlds personally...
Yeah exactly, every new franchise at minimum gets an entire hub world. Crazy! By the time this game is "over" it could have the most content I've ever seen in a game, especially if they use Story Packs to replace what would normally be a full "Lego _______" game as some are speculating.

And not only do franchises get bare minimum a hub world but starting with Season 2 each franchise also gets a Battle Arena.

Koren

IIRC they take a picture of Gizmo early in the movie as a hint that bright light hurts them. I don't remember if they use a camera again later against the Gremlins but they definitely use one on accident on Gizmo.
I'm remembering the bad ones playing with it and making faces at the camera... But that may be my imagination... ^_^

I don't know if making it pink would have gotten them in any legal trouble or anything though, they probably just changed it because "lol boys won't buy a pink car" :T
It's also vastly different in shape. It doesn't have an open roof, for a first. Also, the Barbie car is R/C?

Yeah exactly, every new franchise at minimum gets an entire hub world. Crazy!
At the same time, you pay for it when you buy the figures... They're not exactly cheap :/ I mean, a polybag with similar content than the 15$ packs for example would be... 4-5$?

I'm remembering the bad ones playing with it and making faces at the camera... But that may be my imagination... ^_^

At the same time, you pay for it when you buy the figures... They're not exactly cheap :/ I mean, a polybag with similar content than the 15$ packs for example would be... 4-5$?
Right but that polybag doesn't open up a huge hub world to explore, add a playable character to the game, plus a Battle Arena. I think that is worth ~$15 especially since they go on sale every other day. Didn't they actually drop the price of the Fun Packs down to like $11 anyway? The other packs need adjusting too but for what you're unlocking in-game things are reasonably priced IMO.

Gotta take into consideration that we aren't simply paying for the physical Lego pieces when we buy the packs. There is a lot of content and work put into the game.

Fun Pack - $11-15, unlocks Hub, Battle Arena, new character, new vehicle or weapon
Team Pack - $25 (should be $20 IMO), unlocks Hub, Battle Arena, TWO new characters, a vehicle, and a weapon.
Level Pack - $35 (should be $25/30, some of them are NOT worth $35) unlocks Hub, Battle Arena, new character, new weapon, new vehicle, and an entire level.
Story Pack - $50 (remains to be seen if this is a fair price) unlocks Hub, Battle Arena, new playable character, new vehicle or weapon, plus an entire story campaign that resells the movie of whatever franchise you're playing over 6 levels, AND adds to the main Dimensions story.

That's a LOT of content. Now add to that the fact that you're also getting a Minifigure and at least one microbuild and lots of new specialized moulds, not bad.

I'll rewatch Gremins today while I work to try and sort out the camera thing :)

Osahi

Bought the beetle today. Can't wait for work winding down a bit and temperatures falling, so i can have long nights of building. Only creator expert vehicle i have so far is the camper, and that's the one that pulled me out of the dark ages.

When Gizmo first arrives, Mrs. Peltzer takes a photo and we learn the gremlin rules after he reacts to the flash. Later at the bar, Kate uses a different camera to fight off the gremlins.

Welp there we go!

I wonder what other uses it'll have in-game. I wonder what uses ET's Phone will have... at all.

Also we can all [me] stop wondering, the Biplane in the Dimensions Year 2 banner is from Sonic.

Koren

Right but that polybag doesn't open up a huge hub world to explore, add a playable character to the game, plus a Battle Arena. I think that is worth ~$15
Well, I don't say it's too expensive, but that you pay ~10$ for the game part, I think you're entitled something like a hub...

Even worse, having only a level with a level pack would be like 25$ for a level, that would be insanely expensive, I'd say.

It's especially tricky, because if I'm not mistaken, some packs share the same hub, since it's the same universe, so it's kinda like each time you pay "more" for the DLC part.

I'm fine with it if people are happy. I just think it's a lucrative business for them, and they would me mad for not at least giving decent content for each pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom