• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double VIP = Classic Batcave, Doctor Strange, and some architecture ones my girlfriend has wanted.

I might finally splurge on a Modular, if I have enough money left after my vacation. I'm going to France, so the Parisian Restaurant would be perfect (plus I hear it's one of the best).

Osahi

Double VIP = Classic Batcave, Doctor Strange, and some architecture ones my girlfriend has wanted.

I might finally splurge on a Modular, if I have enough money left after my vacation. I'm going to France, so the Parisian Restaurant would be perfect (plus I hear it's one of the best).

of all the modulars I own, PR is the best (I own Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Brick Bank en Detectiv's Office). Just know that once you jump into the modular-pool, you won't come out untill you at least own all available.

R-User!

October calendar:

Zau4C9n.jpg

Double VIP for Rogue One sets and new Death Star? Yes please!

That free holiday calendar is an awesome promo!

Do you have the back page? Sometimes there is interesting stuff on the back too.

Double VIP = Train and Excavator!

Ryuuroden

Thanks for the heads up. Nice to know.

I almost don't remember what I ordered.... :/

Have you been invoiced yet? Our order was actually late because lego sent our invoice to the wrong lug then got mad at us when we didn't pay and that's when they found out it was them that screwed up. They almost canceled it on us. This is the 2nd year in a row something has gone wrong. Last year they were sending the communications to someone not involved in the lug anymore so things got messed up then.

Edit: I'm not complaining though, it is a nice thing they do for lugs. You just have to stay on top of things but at the same time you are not allowed to constantly contact them either.

Cruzito

Neo Member
My Death Star 10188 is still sealed. Never found the time to build it with the enormous back log. Would it be possible to return the old to Lego and pay the difference on the new?

My Death Star 10188 is still sealed. Never found the time to build it with the enormous back log. Would it be possible to return the old to Lego and pay the difference on the new?

From what I've heard, the Lego store only allows exchanges for current sets. Retired sets are not allowed to be exchanged. That's if you don't have a receipt. If you have a receipt, look at the receipt to see what the return window is.

iosefe

must have been purchased within 90 days unopened with a reciept and a LEGO store

so no. you probably wont be able to return it.

Surely 10188 will still retain a certain amount of value to collectors? Like an extra $100 at least, if maybe not true-retired amounts of value.

Also, if you're looking to pay the difference to get the new set you could probably just buy the 200 extra parts, assuming you plan to build it.

Minifig collections are back at TRU this year for Bricktober. Here is one of the four collections which will be available.

fvAytL8.jpg

Here's the remaining Bricktober collections:

yQpqfuc.jpg

CRmPT6Z.jpg

EvbPdHY.jpg

Am I the only one that feels those minifig packs basically look like Build-A-Minifigs put together by kids? They do have a nice assortment of parts especially if one doesn't have the CMFs some of those parts came from.

Edit: The biggest bonus is the all yellow leg assembly needed to make a streaker vignette. Rare part (yellow hip) indeed.

Ryuuroden

Surely 10188 will still retain a certain amount of value to collectors? Like an extra $100 at least, if maybe not true-retired amounts of value.

Also, if you're looking to pay the difference to get the new set you could probably just buy the 200 extra parts, assuming you plan to build it.

You could probably sell the old one for 450 at 50 dollars less than the new one to someone who wants to save money or even just sell it at cost for what you originally paid.

Koren

I've bought and build the Volksvagen camper, since I plan to buy the Beetle, and that made me want the former creator vehicles. Well...

Holy sh*t! ^_^

That's a really nice model, plently of interesting tidbits. I love how you can convert the seat into a bed, for example.

If the Bettle is way better, as some people here have said, can't wait to build it!

It also made me want to build the caravan where I spent my holidays when I was a kid at the same scale. I may buy another camper just for the parts to do this...

Uh oh...No Simpsons in the latest catalog. Guess that means I need to buy the house now.
Not surprising... I'm wondering if I try to wait till 2xVIP to buy the Kwik-E-Mart... Since it's still available in stores, I may do this.

I'm also pondering whether I can wait for Helicarrier, too.

I've bought and build the Volksvagen camper, since I plan to buy the Beetle, and that made me want the former creator vehicles. Well...

Holy sh*t! ^_^

That's a really nice model, plently of interesting tidbits. I love how you can convert the seat into a bed, for example.

If the Bettle is way better, as some people here have said, can't wait to build it!

It also made me want to build the caravan where I spent my holidays when I was a kid at the same scale. I may buy another camper just for the parts to do this...

Not surprising... I'm wondering if I try to wait till 2xVIP to buy the Kwik-E-Mart... Since it's still available in stores, I may do this.

I'm also pondering whether I can wait for Helicarrier, too.
The Beetle is better. And too many people seem to sleep on the Mini Cooper. That set was great too.

Koren

About the camper, two tiny things:

> I'm missing a 1x1 modified white brick with 1 stud on the side, and I have a spare 1x1 normal white brick. I thought that I had used the wrong piece somewhere, but after reviewing all 16 normal 1x1 bricks, I don't think I've made a mistake. Is a switch possible? (I was under the impressions that there weren't even in the same bag!)

> I have two spares 2x4 white tiles. The trick is that I downloaded the pdf for the manual, and it says "11x". The box says "13x" for this one. I wondered if the model has been changed a bit, and where those tiles have been used...

The Beetle is better.
I don't doubt it, but I'm even more curious now.

The camper isn't new... is there still sets without numbered bags?

Jimbro72

I really liked Simpsons House when done, but as I look back on it it was a disappointment. Disappointed so much I didn't bother with Kwik-E-Mart

That's too bad because I think the Kwik-E-Mart is the better set of the two. The interior is packed full of detail. But it does have one of the worst pains in the ass stickers to apply correctly.

chidrock

It isn't a great set. The inside is nice but it was a problematic build with a rushed design.

I know; the outside wasn't really calling to me and that's why I never rushed out to pick it up. I know it's the Simpson house, but it just looked kind of blah to me. I have the Kwiki-E-Mart and all of the figures, so a part of me just wants to get the house to complete the set.

I really liked Simpsons House when done, but as I look back on it it was a disappointment. Disappointed so much I didn't bother with Kwik-E-Mart

The Kwik-E-Mart is awesome. It's packed with mini-builds and has a lot of personality. The only thing that I wish it had was more unique figures. You should definitely give it a shot before it's gone. It seems like it would be a good fit for you based on your posts; especially if you like the Simpsons.

Ryuuroden

I know; the outside wasn't really calling to me and that's why I never rushed out to pick it up. I know it's the Simpson house, but it just looked kind of blah to me. I have the Kwiki-E-Mart and all of the figures, so a part of me just wants to get the house to complete the set.

The Kwik-E-Mart is awesome. It's packed with mini-builds and has a lot of personality. The only thing that I wish it had was more unique figures. You should definitely give it a shot before it's gone. It seems like it would be a good fit for you based on your posts; especially if you like the Simpsons.

I have the Kwik-E-Mart as well but not the House. Also tempted to pick up the house just to finish it but I'm trying to put more money aside for an actual house.

The mini builds are what tempts me about Kwik E Mart, but not the stickers. In the end, I know it won't be on display long then into the collective. I am fine with missing it.

Have we talked about Mixels ending?

Series 9 in October is the finale of the theme.
I missed that. It was a good run.

Jimbro72

On a scale of 1 - Red Five, how bad is the sticker?

Well, I think I had an easier time applying the Red Five sticker decently, where as the curved sticker that you apply around a cone shaped piece, which makes up the top of the Squishee machine, was badly crooked on my attempt. I think I just had a bad strategy on how I was attempting to line things up at the start but when I applied it for good, it was not pretty. By far the worst result of applying a sticker I've ever had and I'm someone who applies every sticker to every set I put together. Square and rectangular stickers are a piece of cake but curved stickers on a curved/rounded surface like that one is a whole different challenge.

Well, I think I had an easier time applying the Red Five sticker decently, where as the curved sticker that you apply around a cone shaped piece, which makes up the top of the Squishee machine, was badly crooked on my attempt. I think I just had a bad strategy on how I was attempting to line things up at the start but when I applied it for good, it was not pretty. By far the worst result of applying a sticker I've ever had and I'm someone who applies every sticker to every set I put together. Square and rectangular stickers are a piece of cake but curved stickers on a curved/rounded surface like that one is a whole different challenge.

I hear you on the curved surface application. Even a minor misalignment is incredibly obvious. I've had problems on a few vehicles with rounded "jet" appendages.

I'm still sitting on my second Red Five sticker, debating whether to attempt a windex application. My hands are super shaky so it may just forever sit unapplied.

iosefe

I hear you on the curved surface application. Even a minor misalignment is incredibly obvious. I've had problems on a few vehicles with rounded "jet" appendages.

I'm still sitting on my second Red Five sticker, debating whether to attempt a windex application. My hands are super shaky so it may just forever sit unapplied.
Of you don't already, use the wax paper to help align the sticker. Out it on the shiny side. Works wonders

R-User!

Have you been invoiced yet? Our order was actually late because lego sent our invoice to the wrong lug then got mad at us when we didn't pay and that's when they found out it was them that screwed up. They almost canceled it on us. This is the 2nd year in a row something has gone wrong. Last year they were sending the communications to someone not involved in the lug anymore so things got messed up then.

Edit: I'm not complaining though, it is a nice thing they do for lugs. You just have to stay on top of things but at the same time you are not allowed to constantly contact them either.

We were invoiced, but we're still waiting. Guess it'll come soon enough...

Have we talked about Mixels ending?

Series 9 in October is the finale of the theme.

First I've heard of it. I'm burnt out on them as they come out every 3 months which is hard on completionists. At least they are ending on a good note.

These last few series were very creative, but I had to make cuts on my LEGO purchases somewhere.

first the big ball joints, now the small ball joints

The small ball joints will live on in other regular system sets. To me, Mixels were part of the LEGO system theme sets kinda like the Chima Legend Beast sets. Those were game changers on the possibilities so I doubt they will go away.

Taisaijin

We are overdue for a new mini modular. We are now at 6 buildings not in that scale.

+1 for the mini modular follow-up. I know there was a very nice MOC up on the Ideas site that included TH, PC, PR and the DO all in the same scale / build style.

It's the tenth anniversary of the modular line - they ought to celebrate it with something unique.

Let us not forget the Maersk Triple-E and it's 99 stickers...

I never bothered with the set.

Speaking of Maersk, probably tearing down the train soon. Debating about keeping the parts with stickers over multiple pieces together, or just saying "hell with it" and tossing the stickers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think my wife is buying me the Disney Castle for my birthday in October. I got the recent catalog and had it sitting on my desk. Last night, she casually asked me if I was planning on buying anything between now and my birthday. I also noticed the catalog had moved from my office to on top of her computer...

I think my wife is buying me the Disney Castle for my birthday in October. I got the recent catalog and had it sitting on my desk. Last night, she casually asked me if I was planning on buying anything between now and my birthday. I also noticed the catalog had moved from my office to on top of her computer...

God big or go home!

Markus

We are overdue for a new mini modular. We are now at 6 buildings not in that scale.

+1 for the mini modular follow-up. I know there was a very nice MOC up on the Ideas site that included TH, PC, PR and the DO all in the same scale / build style.

It's the tenth anniversary of the modular line - they ought to celebrate it with something unique.

Actually, what I was thinking (but didn't articulate well at 4am) was a regular series of unique individual Bricktober Streetscape-like sets at ~$20 that aren't necessarily just mini versions of Creator full size modulars.

But, having said that, yeah I'd love to see a follow up to the original Mimi Modular set. That was the 2nd set I purchased (after the Unimog; and my first purchase from S@H) a few years ago after re-discovering Lego. That was an great little build!

It's a shame really that the Bricktober sets were a slightly different scale and on different sized base plates than the Mini Modular set.

$20 was just too pricey for those lil mini buildings at TRU. If LEGO were to make those $10 sets, they would fly off the shelves.

What I would love to see though is them to make mini versions to give as promos when the next modular comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom