• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I ordered the avengejet and kings mech from shop @ home. It took forever to ship and get here. It arrives and there is a red skull sub in the box I didn't order!

I feel bad keeping this...but...

They'll tell you to keep it if you call or email.

ghostmind

Angry Birds:

TcVWRcK.png

zPWxMyX.png

ipMlJIp.png

IAaPnRy.png

3SfKGmg.png

0uaZ9M9.png

Wanderer5

Well King's Mech obtained heh, and holy crap what a impressive build it is. Soooooo much fun to mess around with, and it just looks damn cool all around, including the back end with the two wing like pieces and the winding key. Haven't bother with the stickers for now this time through.

3N16MA

Banned
The box art is nice and clean. Piggy Pirate Ship reminds me of the Sea Cow at first glance. Just a really small Sea Cow.

I mean...they all look decent? Especially the pirate ship and the castle but I also am liking some of the new pieces as well. That and I can't help but notice all the angry eyebrows.

I think the pirate ship and castle look nice. I like the ship design especially. It's interesting.

Slowly but surely, LEGO is creating more and more specialized pieces. Not necessarily a bad thing especially since the specialized pieces tend to be mostly minifig accessories. i.e. scissors, hot dog bun, eggs, etc.

I don't think I've seen the red band on the catapult before. And I don't know what that pig snout round piece over the castle door is.

Looks like a 1x2x2 wall element with an arch that I haven't seen before.
nm, that's not what i thought it was.

wzmqeMk.png

wetwired

I might have to bricklink some of those hotdog buns and eggs (dana barrett kitchen scene?) but otherwise, meh to the angry birds for me

I might have to bricklink some of those hotdog buns and eggs (dana barrett kitchen scene?) but otherwise, meh to the angry birds for me

Yeah I'm not into them as-is... But there are a lot of interesting pieces mixed throughout. I definitely could see these being popular sets, though. They certainly look better than what I was expecting.

Yeah. All those glow in the dark.
Ooo. My interest just shot up haha

Man the King's Mech can be so much fun to pose. Being able to adjust the sword angle is a great plus indeed.
Such a silly and simple thing to be so smitten by, just like I was. But it helps to pose it any way you want.

And grabbed SW Resistance drop ship today. About to finish bag one. JANG on point after only 19 steps.

And Kylo is built!

Some immediate thoughts:

- he looks great overall.
- the helmet and lightsaber are beyond excellent in design.
- the cape on his back is decent but very flat.
- the lack of a hood is a misfire imho.
- There are grey extension pieces used that should have been black. I'm not sure if they even make those in black but I'll have to check bricklink.

I modded him to have a hood. I bought some basic black fabric and fashioned it so it would overlap the back cape, forcing it to have some flowing form. I think it looks much better. I'll make some more adjustments later but I like how he looks hooded versus stock.

Risible

I find I don't like Lego products when I feel like they lose their inherent "Lego-ness", for lack of a better term.

For example, the new Star Wars figures. They don't look like Lego to me, they just look like Star Wars figures that could have come from any company. Even the Technic line doesn't draw me in for the same reason.

What really draws me in to Lego is when they recreate a familiar thing but translate it to the Lego world in a way where you look at it and think about both the original property and Lego at the same time.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I find I don't like Lego products when I feel like they lose their inherent "Lego-ness", for lack of a better term.

For example, the new Star Wars figures. They don't look like Lego to me, they just look like Star Wars figures that could have come from any company. Even the Technic line doesn't draw me in for the same reason.

What really draws me in to Lego is when they recreate a familiar thing but translate it to the Lego world in a way where you look at it and think about both the original property and Lego at the same time.

+1

I really don't like Technic or those Star Wars build a fig at all. They just don't seem "LEGO" to me.

Nope, looks like LEGO to me.

Seriously though, I had a lot of the 1980-1982 Technic sets so that product line feels very familiar. I can appreciate what you're saying about the SW figures though-they very much don't look like LEGO. That having been said, once you've actually built some you will find that they use many common LEGO parts and more importantly follow a well-thought-out build process.

Bonus thoughts:

While I'm still not convinced I should be buying large sets anymore, I did pick up the tiny BvS set & I still love Supes' hair piece. I hadn't realized there was a Nexo Knights promo on right now and was really impressed with the polybag. There's a lot to be had here and it's a great way to start pushing a new theme.

Finally saw the two new SW sets in a few stores. I really am surprised they are so expensive. Like I said before, they should both be $20 cheaper.

Rootbeer

Banned
Anyone need this poly? My Target has at least 50 of them on clearance.

17DB9930-2E39-4C52-B660-F4F2DDA73772.jpg

make sure to scan that. I got one at target for like 48 cents but I couldn't find anymore. they were cleared out.

ALWAYS scan old polybags or any lego merch that looks a little on the older side. a lot of stuff is marked down but not stickered as such.

While I am with you about them not looking Lego, the Constraction figures def feel like Lego and look great and it's something that dosnt entirely click (pun?) until you build one.

+1

I really don't like Technic or those Star Wars build a fig at all. They just don't seem "LEGO" to me.

Nope, looks like LEGO to me.

Seriously though, I had a lot of the 1980-1982 Technic sets so that product line feels very familiar. I can appreciate what you're saying about the SW figures though-they very much don't look like LEGO. That having been said, once you've actually built some you will find that they use many common LEGO parts and more importantly follow a well-thought-out build process.

Bonus thoughts:

While I'm still not convinced I should be buying large sets anymore, I did pick up the tiny BvS set & I still love Supes' hair piece. I hadn't realized there was a Nexo Knights promo on right now and was really impressed with the polybag. There's a lot to be had here and it's a great way to start pushing a new theme.

Finally saw the two new SW sets in a few stores. I really am surprised they are so expensive. Like I said before, they should both be $20 cheaper.

While I am with you about them not looking Lego, the Constraction figures def feel like Lego and look great and it's something that dosnt entirely click (pun?) until you build one.

They don't look very LEGO as posed figures, but building them is quite fun and the design was well-planned. There's a lot of regular Lego pieces in addition to the technic ones. Yes, a lot of big plates and such, but putting them together is very LEGO.

boltz

Same here, that's why the constractions don't appeal to me, not to mention that they look a little awkward to me (the joints in particular, with the exception of General Grevious, who looks badass). I feel the same way with the Angry Birds sets, especially since the figures look really weird with those arms and legs.

Ponn

Banned
I watched the Inside Lego special I DVRed off of Nat Geo channel. It was pretty entertaining but the content was a little old taking place about a couple years ago or so. One of the people in it was just putting together the "new" Helicarrier and they were sneaking a peek at them discussing the cmf Hot Dog guy creation. The show was showing TLG from all angles being secretive, all about play and being a family, cultish, etc but they didn't try to drive home one point as the truth or not. They also followed one guy trying to become a designer and actually showed alot of their selection process and how it works which was pretty amazing. Certainly an unusual job application process but appropriate for working at Lego. I won't spoil if he was hired or not for anyone interested in watching it. Overall I came away pretty entertained, learned some things about TLG and a little prouder of being an AFOL.

Fowler

Off to the LEGO mall today. Not sure if I'm going to pick up Takodana, the First Order Transporter, or... The UCS Tumbler.

This could be an expensive trip.

3N16MA

Banned
I had no clue about the Nexo Knights The King's Mech set. The mech looks amazing. Also Infernox captures the Queen is a cheaper way to get a Hover Horse which I really want. Nexo Knights going from a line I didn't care for to one that is looking better and better.

Much of my opinion was based on The Fortrex which I still don't care for. However some of the smaller sets look pretty good.

Currently building the Palace Cinema (lttp i know) and the first 2 things i noticed are:

1) The limo that everyone was criticizing as one of the worst things EVER isn't even THAT bad as far as i am concerned. I mean it's a simple build but i kinda like the hood and the back and i also feel it isn't really any worse than, say, dat Fire Wagon from the Fire Brigade as far as looks go?

2) A GREEN Brick separator? That is a first for me, is this exclusive to this set? LOL

Currently building the Palace Cinema (lttp i know) and the first 2 things i noticed are:

1) The limo that everyone was criticizing as one of the worst things EVER isn't even THAT bad as far as i am concerned. I mean it's a simple build but i kinda like the hood and the back and i also feel it isn't really any worse than, say, dat Fire Wagon from the Fire Brigade as far as looks go?

2) A GREEN Brick separator? That is a first for me, is this exclusive to this set? LOL

If it is this one, it appeared in 10 sets according to Brickset:

600728.jpg

http://brickset.com/parts/600728

Osahi

Now, I'm curious... I've yet to open the box, but I may do it just to understand unless someone explain this one...

You can notice it on the box too I guess. It is just a little injoke/detail that is pretty nice

One of the movie posters is a monster film called The Brick Separator. On the poster the big monsterous Separator the characters are running from is a green one. So they added a green one in stead of an orange one in the box

I will need to get one of those monkeys though.

Those monkeys are great! I actually don't have any of the originals. I'm not a big fan of the theme but I have a few sets from clearance sales; I'm consistently impressed with the quality of the Ninjago sets.

You can notice it on the box too I guess. It is just a little injoke/detail that is pretty nice

One of the movie posters is a monster film called The Brick Separator. On the poster the big monsterous Separator the characters are running from is a green one. So they added a green one in stead of an orange one in the box

I had never noticed the connection & always wondered why it was green. Thanks Osahi!

chidrock

Off to the LEGO mall today. Not sure if I'm going to pick up Takodana, the First Order Transporter, or... The UCS Tumbler.

This could be an expensive trip.

Contemplating taking a trip myself. Think it's time to pick up the UCS TIE Fighter. I'm not completely sold on it, but I have the X-Wing and Slave 1.

There's something about it that just looks a little awkward to me. I was also worried that the build would be boring because of the symmetry, but the reviews for tend to say it wasn't that bad.

I'm thinking it might look better if it was raised up higher of the round a bit by the stand.

Osahi

Those monkeys are great! I actually don't have any of the originals. I'm not a big fan of the theme but I have a few sets from clearance sales; I'm consistently impressed with the quality of the Ninjago sets.

I had never noticed the connection & always wondered why it was green. Thanks Osahi!

It only struck me recently too, while repositioning some figs. My eye fell on the poster and I had the biggest Aha-erlebnis in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom