• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to go back and get 6 of those Ninjago polybags. That will give me enough glow in thw dark pieces to add to the ferris wheel so it matches the mixer a bit better with the lights out. All the extra parts and minifigs will be a bonus.

ghostmind

I'm going to go back and get 6 of those Ninjago polybags. That will give me enough glow in thw dark pieces to add to the ferris wheel so it matches the mixer a bit better with the lights out. All the extra parts and minifigs will be a bonus.

Are you sure they are glow-in-the-dark? Bricklink says they aren't.

Koren

You can notice it on the box too I guess. It is just a little injoke/detail that is pretty nice

One of the movie posters is a monster film called The Brick Separator. On the poster the big monsterous Separator the characters are running from is a green one. So they added a green one in stead of an orange one in the box
Well, that's just great... I remember seeing it, but I kinda missed the connexion. Thanks!

Yeah i am also not sure since these seem to be the exact same ones used in the entire ghost wave and when building say, the Morro Dragon, i remember checking some of those pieces and wondering why they didn't really glow hmm...

To buy King's Mech today or not...

giphy.gif

I just opened one to check. Holy shit, they do not actually glow! That is deceiving as fuck.

Whelp, returning 15 of these later.

I did grab another character cube as well as the hamburger corner for my wife.

I just opened one to check. Holy shit, they do not actually glow! That is deceiving as fuck.

Whelp, returning 15 of these later.

I did grab another character cube as well as the hamburger corner for my wife.

But lots of those A shaped pieces and small bow pieces in dark blue. I need to check my crappy Target and see if they have some. I would love a ton of these just for parts.

But lots of those A shaped pieces and small bow pieces in dark blue. I need to check my crappy Target and see if they have some. I would love a ton of these just for parts.

When I said my local Target had around 50, I was way off. It's more like 200.

Also, mine is totally restocked, including all the Jurrasic World sets. About 10 of every set in the theme.

Jurrasic were in the regular section. The Ninjago were all in a discount isle in the toy section. The character cubes had been moved from an earlier end cap to be mixed in with the regular lego isle. My Target only had 2 cubes remaining.

Edit: If your Target has none, let me know asap before I return these. I could just sell them to you for cost + shipping if you would like.

Toxi

Banned
I find I don't like Lego products when I feel like they lose their inherent "Lego-ness", for lack of a better term.

For example, the new Star Wars figures. They don't look like Lego to me, they just look like Star Wars figures that could have come from any company. Even the Technic line doesn't draw me in for the same reason.

What really draws me in to Lego is when they recreate a familiar thing but translate it to the Lego world in a way where you look at it and think about both the original property and Lego at the same time.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Can't agree. My childhood was filled with Throwbots, Robo-Riders, and Bionicle.

I still like normal system LEGO, but constraction is the closest thing to the LEGO I grew up with.

Between Bank and Detective's Office, which is better?

I have both. I'm currently about halfway through building the bank. I think the Dectective's Office takes it thanks to more micro builds, the entry way, larger variety in the different rooms (pool hall, barber shop, upstairs kitchen, detectives office), and multi level roof with its little water toewer. They're closer than those details would make you think though. The Bank is a very solid build with a wider range of play elements that are all easier to access when compared to the Detectives Office.

Take a good look at your existing modular lineup. Which building would add more character? Which one would strengthen the look of the others? Do you need a corner building or not?

Can't agree. My childhood was filled with Throwbots, Robo-Riders, and Bionicle.

I still like normal system LEGO, but constraction is the closest thing to the LEGO I grew up with.

I can relate except that my childhood years were with the regular Lego system, and my late teens to early college were with Bionicle.

I find I don't like Lego products when I feel like they lose their inherent "Lego-ness", for lack of a better term.

For example, the new Star Wars figures. They don't look like Lego to me, they just look like Star Wars figures that could have come from any company. Even the Technic line doesn't draw me in for the same reason.

What really draws me in to Lego is when they recreate a familiar thing but translate it to the Lego world in a way where you look at it and think about both the original property and Lego at the same time.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I like both, as they have their strengths and weaknesses. The constraction system is great and very flexible in many of the same ways regular lego bricks are, and can and has been used for great things. They're different systems but are very compatible with each other. Yeah it doesnt look like lego but most CCBS parts follow the same design philosophy. It has a lot of depth to it. Although i do agree all the human star wars figures look terrible and remind me of cheap dolls or something. I just dont think they were executed very well, maybe human figures just dont work well with the system. Thats probably why General Grevious is my favorite of the star wars sets (since hes a robot) and im a big fan of bionicle. The parts can be fantastic for MOCs, especially when using both systems side by side like this:

I just built Big Bang Theory after having it since release. I'm not a fan of the show (in fact, I rather despise it), but I got it just in case, since it had a bunch of new parts including useful faces. Well, it turns out that they aren't that useful, since most have glasses.

Either way, it was a neat little build with several interesting microbuilds. The room itself provides a bunch of tan and some rare-ish dark orange, and the props can be borrowed straight to other interiors. In fact, I have an idea for where to transplant this room eventually...

Wanderer5

I grew up with a lot of Bionicles (for a while till I drifted away from Lego for like 10 years, I was mostly just into Bionicle and Lego Harry Potter I think), so I dig the constraction system and still think of it very Lego ish, just in somewhat different ways. I actually not much of a fan with the sets that are human either, unless they are fully armor, which either that or being cyborg/robot are more appealing.

I think it partly why I really loving the King's Mech. It basically a regular lego set that has elements of constraction.

You can notice it on the box too I guess. It is just a little injoke/detail that is pretty nice

One of the movie posters is a monster film called The Brick Separator. On the poster the big monsterous Separator the characters are running from is a green one. So they added a green one in stead of an orange one in the box

Cool, a nice touch.

Fowler

I took the plunge on the UCS Tumbler. Prices were rising at stores all over the mall, so figured it was time to buy now instead of waiting and seeing the price rise again.

Speaking of crazy prices... I saw the Marina Bay Sands Architecture set going for US$1000! WTF?

I took the plunge on the UCS Tumbler. Prices were rising at stores all over the mall, so figured it was time to buy now instead of waiting and seeing the price rise again.

Speaking of crazy prices... I saw the Marina Bay Sands Architecture set going for US$1000! WTF?
Because it was only sold at Marina Bay Sands. It's super rare.

3N16MA

Banned
Yeah, I'm going to have to jump into Nexo Knight's for the mech.

The king could be better enclosed as there seems to be a gap when the mask is in position. Still a good looking set.

I couldve sworn it appeared in more sets but I suppose included Brick Seperators are a new phenomenon. Still wish theyd only include them in massive sets instead of anything over £60 though- got loads of them knocking about!

Yes please, my apartment has those darn things all over the place because they stuff them in so many sets now

<3

Honestly I not sure if I going to bother putting on the stickers really. Looks fine without them. The King himself is good too, along with the additional Flamethrower and his ballista.
Im glad they're going all out with ball joints now. I was really annoyed with the lack of articulation with previous mechs, especially these pieces:

They're honestly terrible when it comes to articulation.

Also its really cool to see a mech with knee joints

Fowler

Because it was only sold at Marina Bay Sands. It's super rare.

I didn't know that, so I looked it up, and Brickset says it was also available from some retailers in Asia... which explains why I had no idea it was so rare! It was readily available here for not-ridiculous prices.

I specifically remember recommending that a friend buy it for another friend as a birthday present since he's from Singapore. He didn't. After seeing the price today, I couldn't help but tell him he really should have bought it when he had the chance...

<3

Honestly I not sure if I going to bother putting on the stickers really. Looks fine without them. The King himself is good too, along with the additional Flamethrower and his ballista.

I also like how you can turn the head ever so slightly to make it look like the mech is looking in other directions.

Ponn

Banned
It's kind of weird how oop sets can be so different in their after market prices. I honestly thought the LoTR sets would be more valuable by now with their pricing but I recently saw a Helms Deep set on AWD for $160. Galaxy Squad sets can still be found for MSRP or less. It's not even by theme, some Super Hero sets really skyrocket after they go oop and yet some like the previous Batwing vs. Joker copter set are still hovering at around msrp. The Deadpool chopper set skyrocketed so even though I don't like the Bat Harbor set i'm still anxious on getting it anyways because the Deathstroke fig might make that set valuable. The Scooby Doo sets I really have no idea which way they may go. I still would need the Mummy and Lighthouse set if I wanted the complete collection but I don't need them otherwise. I'm wondering if its really going to be worth getting them or not since theres nothing really exclusive about them that should drive the prices up. Ninjago though popular doesn't seem to have crazy after market pricing either. Is it perhaps a bigger supply of sets more recently? Regardless it seems like all Star Wars sets no matter what carry high after market values.

Sorry, just pointless weekend rambling.

neonglow

I just picked up the Nexo Knight Infernox set at Toys R Us. I'm more interested in building that rocket horse than I am building the monster.

The rocket horse was awesome and maybe should be saved for last in Infernox, but both builds were great. I think i enjoyed building Infernox more than King's Mech.

Koren

<3

I'm just not fond of his left hand, but it's a really nice build. Makes me kinda wish Lego would licence some anime series, I'd be curious to see what they can do with Gundam and the like. Pretty sure they could have done great contraption with Evangelion, too.

Also, when I see this and the Hulkbuster, I think it may not be totally impossible to build Lego version of Sakura Taisen's Koubus...

Stopped in at the Lego Store to get the free Nexo Knights intro pack with purchase. They had so many, they were giving away two with every purchase! Also got the free parrot polybag from the wall calendar. Not bad for my First Order Battlepack purchase!

A LDD mockup for something I might build once the Nexo Knights parts start becoming widely available:

exosuit_iceplanet_ldd.jpg

I'd replace the round 1x1s with the new pyramid parts and maybe mod the arms like I did with my M-Tron version, but that's the general idea.

TheFuzz

Just add the Mech to the backlog.

Mech or Infernox is getting bought this week for sure. I'm watching my little girl next Saturday while the wife has plans so I want something to build after she goes to sleep. Also, Brick Bank's second floor is very nice so far.

I need some halp, GAF... I've pretty much conceded that the Ghostbusters HQ will be mine this year. Since I've saved up a number of Amazon gift cards and credit, it shouldn't be too bad. The only problem is that I still have the Haunted House (with its inflated aftermarket price) haunting me as the only one I wanted that got away. And it's pretty close in price.

Halp.

Ghostbusters is easily one of my all-time favorite movies and has been with me my whole life. It's also double the piece count. Tell me Ghostbusters HQ.

TheFuzz

Wait, King's Mech is a retail exclusive?

Yep, Wal-Mart. I haven't found it yet and I've checked a couple. I'll probably grab it from Lego this week to get the VIP points and because I know they'll stock it. Unless it's less than msrp I try to buy from them directly.

ghostmind

Reminder:

Nexo Knights 1H exclusives (NorthAm):

70324 Merlok's Library 2.0 (Target)
70325 Infernox Captures the Queen (TRU)
70327 The King's Mech (Walmart)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom