• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iosefe

everytime i'm on shift, i gotta take a nice look at the king;s mech. it's so good.

today someone was lookign for the Ninjago Mech Battle, told them we were out of stock, but the king's mech is an even better mech.

sadly he didn't buy it, but he seemed quite interested, so maybe next time

Ponn

Banned
everytime i'm on shift, i gotta take a nice look at the king;s mech. it's so good.

today someone was lookign for the Ninjago Mech Battle, told them we were out of stock, but the king's mech is an even better mech.

sadly he didn't buy it, but he seemed quite interested, so maybe next time

I got a Titan Mech battle set from AWD a week or so ago. I'm going to make a giant mech battle royal rumble shelf.

If I win the powerball tonight i'm getting Ghostbusters HQ's for all of Lego GAF.

Still gotta build Rumble Blade and two others before finishing building first wave. They are sitting by the table. Right now spreading Resistance Troop Transport out. JANG on point so far with his gushing about that set.
I got a Titan Mech battle set from AWD a week or so ago. I'm going to make a giant mech battle royal rumble shelf.
Pics or it didn't happen!

After a lazy morning, my wife decided to host an impromptu birthday celebration for me tonight; I'm hitting a milestone in a week or so_One of our friends had apparently been sitting on this for a while. Love it!

4AFYC6d.jpg

As no one cares about the Target exclusive. Wally World and TRU locking the best stuff down this time.

Yes, the Target exclusive is underwhelming. It basically has to be paired with the Fortrex. But maybe they were banking on folks thinking the Fortrex is incomplete without it.

Going to pick it up this week and sit on it with the 90 Day Red Card return. If it gets cheaper I can return/rebuy. Don't want a Raptor Escape on my hands.

Mech or Infernox is getting bought this week for sure. I'm watching my little girl next Saturday while the wife has plans so I want something to build after she goes to sleep. Also, Brick Bank's second floor is very nice so far.

I need some halp, GAF... I've pretty much conceded that the Ghostbusters HQ will be mine this year. Since I've saved up a number of Amazon gift cards and credit, it shouldn't be too bad. The only problem is that I still have the Haunted House (with its inflated aftermarket price) haunting me as the only one I wanted that got away. And it's pretty close in price.

Halp.

Ghostbusters is easily one of my all-time favorite movies and has been with me my whole life. It's also double the piece count. Tell me Ghostbusters HQ.

If you had to pick one and not ever buy the other, I would say go for the retail priced one. I'm not a big fan of buying aftermarket sets that are waaay above MSRP. Only reason to get the haunted house is If you have cash to burn or are dying (pun intended) to get the haunted house. Ghostbuster HQ will be around for at least 1 more year.

Yes, the Target exclusive is underwhelming. It basically has to be paired with the Fortrex. But maybe they were banking on folks thinking the Fortrex is incomplete without it.

Going to pick it up this week and sit on it with the 90 Day Red Card return. If it gets cheaper I can return/rebuy. Don't want a Raptor Escape on my hands.

At least Raptor Escape comes with raptors.

I need to post those in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread to see if I get any bites.

Ponn

Banned
Pics or it didn't happen!

I was going to do mechs vs. Dragons but I realized I have enough mech builds to do a full royal rumble. I got 3 mech sets to build so give me time for a pic.

Also I didn't win powerball :( If it rolls over and I win 1.5 billion on wed. I will get GB HQ's AND UCS Hoth sets for all of Lego GAF!
haha joke on you all UCS Hoth doesn't exist

Jimbro72

After a lazy morning, my wife decided to host an impromptu birthday celebration for me tonight; I'm hitting a milestone in a week or so_One of our friends had apparently been sitting on this for a while. Love it!

Happy (early) birthday! Very nice little gift there. Do you have plans to actually open and build yours? Some day I plan on building mine as well as all my convention exclusives but not until I create a good space to display them.

Im glad they're going all out with ball joints now. I was really annoyed with the lack of articulation with previous mechs, especially these pieces:

They're honestly terrible when it comes to articulation.

Also its really cool to see a mech with knee joints

I'm surprised at the knee joints. Not sure where I read this, but their were supposedly stability issues vs playability with "mechs" for kids that had knee joints so LEGO opted against knee joints for the most part.

Anyway, I'm glad LEGO is finding ways to put in mechs in so many themes lately. Mechs have been in Galaxy Squad, Ultra Agents, Ninjago, Super Heroes, Nexo Knights, Creator, and a bunch before coming out of my dark ages. I've enjoyed a lot of the designs since Lex's Power Armor.

peely

Neo Member
So this was my last night. Thought I could do it all in just over 2 hours and go to bed at a reasonable time. Mixed the bags. Took me nearly 3 and a half in the end !

VKp85Xkl.jpg

Love the final result though. Just looks amazing with so many neat little touches.

Other/better half had fun with the Big Bang Theory set too :)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So this was my last night. Thought I could do it all in just over 2 hours and go to bed at a reasonable time. Mixed the bags. Took me nearly 3 and a half in the end !

Glad you enjoyed the best set of 2015!

I'd love to put together a UCS Falcon, but those reseller prices... yikes.

Does anyone have any idea on the odds of a TFU UCS falcon release? Or a re-release of the classic?

Also - is it feasible (or even possible) to build the UCS set just by ordering the pieces from Lego and downloading the instructions? I imagine some substitutions would need to be made and that cost might be prohibitive (I mean, even relative to a $500 Lego set), but I was curious...

Koren

Also - is it feasible (or even possible) to build the UCS set just by ordering the pieces from Lego and downloading the instructions? I imagine some substitutions would need to be made and that cost might be prohibitive (I mean, even relative to a $500 Lego set), but I was curious...
Yes, it's possible, and many are actually doing it.

Doing a couple substitutions or trying to get the exact same pieces is a matter of choice (and obviously cost).

But you won't be able to buy all pieces from Lego (either from Pick-a-Brick on the online store, or on the consumer webpage I've yet to use). The only solution for many pieces is using the giant online service Bricklink.

It's a bit complex at first, but really, really handy. And many people here use it, so they'll be able to help you.

You can look into threads about bricklinking the Falcon, there's several of them, like these ones:
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67818
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109662

Amd many pages about possible substitutions, like this one that include a parts list in excel format:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/2wksds/the_cheapskates_guide_to_bricklinking_a_10179_ucs/

(edit : and I'm THIS close to bricklink a (blue) green grocer... I'd like to stay in the 250-300€ range at most, but even with some substitutions, I fear it'll be tricky :/ )

Does anyone have any idea on the odds of a TFU UCS falcon release? Or a re-release of the classic?

Once again, my guide to the rescue (the traffic this thing brings in :D ):

http://www.beardednerd.se/how-to-pi...or-any-other-expensive-out-of-print-lego-set/

Basically, it's a 5000+ piece set so even if you manage to get parts for cheap, it's gonna lost a lot. Nowadays the climbing ropes (used for the exhaust, wrapped around the back of the thing) are a little more achievable since they produced more black ones for the pirate theme and Sea Cow, although you can forget the grey ones. You can also forget about the radar dish and the sticker print since they're exclusive. The rest... there might be a few horribly overpriced pieces around, but since it's an oldish set, there are probably replacements for some parts now. And the figures are horrible so you can skip those.

(edit : and I'm THIS close to bricklink a (blue) green grocer... I'd like to stay in the 250-300€ range at most, but even with some substitutions, I fear it'll be tricky :/ )

Maybe my Green Grocer guide can help, although it's outdated and now many of the parts are indeed super tough to find:

http://www.beardednerd.se/putting-together-lego-green-grocer-10185/

Updated assistance: You can use regular 2x3 windows instead of the train windows, which allows you to use window panes and saves a TON of money. You can also use newer versions of door frames.

As for the details, the blue curved pieces for the awning are rare since that asshole Jamie Berard used parts that are also used for Grand Carousel (which is entirely made from rare pieces). You could look for another colour for them. Also, the Viking pieces are harder to find now.

In case the sand green really kills your budget, there are many other colours that the Green Grocer looks awesome in. Check this thread:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116624&st=0

I think odds are really good of getting a new UCS Falcon sometime in the next few years. Too much Star Wars hype for it to not happen.

TheFuzz

I'm going to be in the minority, but 2/3 through Brick Bank, I really feel it's going to be my second favorite modular behind PR.

This feels so much more "complete" than DO, and I adored DO.

willp2003

There were rumours of a new UCS falcon this year, but my guess is that it will be next year with it being the 40th anniversary of ANH.
I'd buy one in an instant if they brought out another.

I was at target this morning and scanned every Lego item there looking for the unmarked sale items that people in here mentioned. Nada.

They have every single Jurassic World set though. Multiples of all of them. Which one is supposed to be the rare one? Was it the raptor one with two raptors and a truck? They had three of those.

TheFuzz

I was at target this morning and scanned every Lego item there looking for the unmarked sale items that people in here mentioned. Nada.

They have every single Jurassic World set though. Multiples of all of them. Which one is supposed to be the rare one? Was it the raptor one with two raptors and a truck? They had three of those.

I don't know if any of them will end up as rare as we thought. Walmart near me had a ton of a raptor escape sets last week and Target had restocked the entire line as well.

Speaking of 'rare,' I didn't realize that the Ant-Man Final Battle was unofficially "retired" and has pretty much doubled in resale value. It was out for 6 months before being done it looks like. If that holds true, I can see some of these minifigures fetching a good bit in the aftermarket.

Speaking of 'rare,' I didn't realize that the Ant-Man Final Battle was unofficially "retired" and has pretty much doubled in resale value. It was out for 6 months before being done it looks like. If that holds true, I can see some of these minifigures fetching a good bit in the aftermarket.

Weird. That's a short shelf life. Glad I got mine a couple months ago.

3N16MA

Banned
Had a weekend project, my first UCS set. Damn this thing is huge. Was such a blast to build too. Looks amazing.

On the list of sets that I will pick up sometime this year.

cavegod over on Eurobricks says it is coming at some point. Maybe not this year as it seems that two UCS sets are already in place.

ghostmind

Prioritizing what sets to get, and when sets are going Sold Out/OOP, is always a challenge. It used to be a bit more predictable a few years ago, but currently it is somewhat random.

I check S@H daily, and if a set that I want suddenly is listed Sold Out (and isn't just an initial or seasonal OOS) then I pick it up at retail wherever I can ASAP. However I try to wait for deals on most sets, except for Direct sets, and then I usually wait for the next 2xVIP. There are always exceptions though.

Remember the days of BOGO and BOGO 1/2 off Direct sets? That was the golden age, before LEGO dropped the hammer.

3N16MA

Banned
Prioritizing what sets to get, and when sets are going Sold Out/OOP, is always a challenge. It used to be a bit more predictable a few years ago, but currently it is very random.

I check S@H daily, and if a set that I want suddenly is listed Sold Out (and isn't just an initial or seasonal OOS) then I pick it up at retail wherever I can ASAP. However I try to wait for deals on most sets, except for Direct sets, and then I usually wait for the next 2xVIP. There are always exceptions though.

Remember the days of BOGO and BOGO 1/2 off Direct sets? That was the golden age, before LEGO dropped the hammer.

I wish I was buying back then. I'm hearing stories about TRU putting modulars at 20% off and exclusives going on sale regularly.

Toxi

Banned
Guessing the Vader vs A-Wing set is based on Star Wars Rebels, where A-Wings have been used several times, including by
Ahsoka Tano

Also, love that the TIE Advanced is updated with the much better TIE build.

Wanderer5

Seems like Hammerhead is this? Probably a new version that appears or going to in Rebels? Also possibly have a rotate mechanism with the front and back end of the ship too, unless that just how the new version looks.

That first set doesn't even have a name yet, unless it is actually call XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-.:p

I don't know if any of them will end up as rare as we thought. Walmart near me had a ton of a raptor escape sets last week and Target had restocked the entire line as well.

The Pirates sets have been discontinued too, while the reprinted Jurassic World are mainly still around. It's very strange.

I might have to get the Ant-Man set just in case.

chidrock

Crap...I just got the movie for Christmas and was planning on getting that set after I saw the movie. (Still haven't watched it yet)

Koren

Maybe my Green Grocer guide can help, although it's outdated and now many of the parts are indeed super tough to find:
Thanks... Actually, I've already read it (but strangely, elsewhere I think... maybe reddit).

It's a bit out of date, but not so much. And there's not so many parts that are really expensive should you avoid sand green and switch the door borders and water taps (it's far cheaper without a hole you can't see anyway) :
- the sand yellow 1x6 arches is, by far, my main issue (only 2, but often over 5$)
- the light bluish 1x8 (needs 29 at ~50c) is the second problem, I may use smaller ones
- the light bluish 1x16 (only 1, ~1$)
- the white 1x2x2 wall elements (2 at 8$, but I'm investigating a cheap alternative with just - the black poles (needs 2, ~1$)
- the dark red inverted slope 1x2x3 (4 at 4+$), I may switch the color although I like it :/
- the dark green 2x2 (needs only 3 at ~50c, and those are invisible in the tower ceiling)
- the kitten (at 3$)
- the train windows (4 at 8+$), which can be switched for 1x2x3 windows
additional borders... I don't know yet where they are in the green grocer)
- the black staircases
- the light street pole
- the viking pieces (rare, at 3+$)
- the blue arches (but will switch color)

plus a couple dozen .50 - 3$ large plates and the 8$ baseplates

Now, even if everything else is not really expensive, I may have issues with smaller orders and shipping costs :/

Updated assistance: You can use regular 2x3 windows instead of the train windows
That was my current plan (although I think I may have 4 of those... I've at least 2 from the old space monorail for example).

In fact, I've snatched a spare Pet Shop, and there's plently of useful pieces for a "Blue Grocer". Including the windows, the light pole (which is really expensive now), black staircase, plently of sand blue including ones with grooves and base plates, beside a bunch of other common and less expensive parts.

In case the sand green really kills your budget, there are many other colours that the Green Grocer looks awesome in. Check this thread:
Already seened it... I'll most probably use sand blue, I really like it in this color, even if there's already the pet shop in sand blue.

As for the details, the blue curved pieces for the awning are rare since that asshole Jamie Berard used parts that are also used for Grand Carousel (which is entirely made from rare pieces). You could look for another colour for them.
Will do, especially since blue on sand blue may not be the best association. I may also switch the curtains colors (dark red is expensive).

I love the design, but I don't value minor tweaks or alternate colors several dozen $... I'll switch those later if they drop in price.

ghostmind

These are very early prelims.

75145 is definitely not Anakin's Podracer. I don't know what it is. Maybe an Inquisitor ship?

The Hammerhead is another odd entry. As was mentioned - perhaps a Rebels ship from an upcoming episode? You can't trust prelim minifigs, but it looks to be a Battle Droid?

Looking forward to the Turbo Tank, even though I already have one.

Fowler

Prioritizing what sets to get, and when sets are going Sold Out/OOP, is always a challenge. It used to be a bit more predictable a few years ago, but currently it is somewhat random.

Yeah, that's why I had to jump on the Tumbler, especially with local prices rising. I paid $50 more than I would have a couple of months ago, but it was worth it because I figured the prices would really spike on that.

You're right about the randomness, though. I picked up Hogwarts Express (4841) a year ago for $180. That's way above MSRP ($80), but the set was over four years old at that point. I checked the same store out of curiosity a few days ago, and it jumped way up above $400!

Wanderer5

These are very early prelims.

75145 is definitely not Anakin's Podracer. I don't know what it is. Maybe an Inquisitor ship?

The Hammerhead is another odd entry. As was mentioned - perhaps a Rebels ship from an upcoming episode? You can't trust prelim minifigs, but it looks to be a Battle Droid?

Looking forward to the Turbo Tank, even though I already have one.

If these are summer sets, I wonder if that too early for possible sets based from Rogue One? More likely Rebels through. Season 2 should be back on track soon with the latter half of it.

Some comments:

Thanks... Actually, I've already read it (but strangely, elsewhere I think... maybe reddit).

It's a bit out of date, but not so much. And there's not so many parts that are really expensive should you avoid sand green and switch the door borders and water taps (it's far cheaper without a hole you can't see anyway) :
- the sand yellow 1x6 arches is, by far, my main issue (only 2, but often over 5$) - use the raised arch (92950) instead
- the light bluish 1x8 (needs 29 at ~50c) is the second problem, I may use smaller ones - big parts always tend to go expensive, but you'll need twice as many smaller ones instead
- the light bluish 1x16 (only 1, ~1$)
- the white 1x2x2 wall elements (2 at 8$, but I'm investigating a cheap alternative with just - for the top window? these are really cheap
- the black poles (needs 2, ~1$) - there should be an alternative 6L pole which might work
- the dark red inverted slope 1x2x3 (4 at 4+$), I may switch the color although I like it :/ - this is stupidly priced, again, blame Grand Carousel which needs _96_ of these which will vacuum the market quickly
- the dark green 2x2 (needs only 3 at ~50c, and those are invisible in the tower ceiling) - can be skipped
- the kitten (at 3$) - can be skipped, but it's adorable
- the train windows (4 at 8+$), which can be switched for 1x2x3 windows
additional borders... I don't know yet where they are in the green grocer)
- the black staircases - big piece, it's always kind of expensive because of that
- the light street pole
- the viking pieces (rare, at 3+$)
- the blue arches (but will switch color)

plus a couple dozen .50 - 3$ large plates and the 8$ baseplates - you don't need two 16x32 baseplates, just get a current one from a store

Koren

use the raised arch (92950) instead
Will look into it, thanks...

Edit: Great suggestion, indeed!

- big parts always tend to go expensive, but you'll need twice as many smaller ones instead
Yes, but in this case, 1x4 are usually at least five times cheaper than 1x8, and far more common. It seems that 1x8 are mostly in old modulars, death star, and similar expensive sets (or there's 1 or 2 in random sets). Kinda the same situation that made you use 1x4 instead of 1x8 sand green, no?

- for the top window? these are really cheap
I was surprised, but shops on Bricklink are selling the exact same pieces for ~8+$... although I'm pretty sure there's plently of nearly-the-same pieces (I'd even say I own a couple from old sets). I've found at least a similar one for cheap, and that should fine there.

Edit: it's 4864b, which is rare in stores. Re-edit: I mean, in new... there's probably a bunch of used available, I should check.

But I indeed have probably a dozen of them, since there's 4864a/b in Breezeway Cafe, Holiday Home, Rescue Copter... all old boxes I own. I'll probably just buy a couple of 87552, though.

- this is stupidly priced, again, blame Grand Carousel which needs _96_ of these which will vacuum the market quickly
Indeed, but I kinda like this color... Not sure what I'll do.

- can be skipped, but it's adorable
I'll definitively won't skip it ^_^

the black staircases - big piece, it's always kind of expensive because of that
Only in black... I've a bunch of dark brown ones from the brick wall in lego's shops.

you don't need two 16x32 baseplates, just get a current one from a store
Indeed, but they're never really "cheap" either. And I have them, so it's not an issue.

Thanks for the comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom