• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your interests. I have a preference for Ninjago stuff, but Nexo Knights has some sets that are really nice. I also like the bad guys in Nexo Knights.

I own, but have not built Temple of Airjitsu. I think you can't go wrong with that set.

Yeah I went with the Temple. It's just too badass.

Anyone else wish legos capes were a more consistent material? It's so annoying getting minifigs with those super crinkly capes as I'm constantly worried of accidentally crumbling them. The king in the kings mech has a big fold on his cape due to pushing up against the bricks. Also it's a dust magnet. I was pleased to see that the batman figure in the Lego Batman sets has a cloth cape that cant be folded if you tried. I wish all Lego capes were like that.
I'm of two minds about it. I like the feel of the new cloth capes, and agree that it doesn't really crease like the old ones, BUT I feel like they're thicker or wider at the neck, making Batman look like he's got a bit of a scarf on.

I'm of two minds about it. I like the feel of the new cloth capes, and agree that it doesn't really crease like the old ones, BUT I feel like they're thicker or wider at the neck, making Batman look like he's got a bit of a scarf on.

They need a hybrid of the two cape designs; crinkly material around the neck, cloth everywhere else.

So i've finally built GiantMan yesterday and while he's pretty great, i somehow expected him to be even bigger hmmm, probably an unfair comparison next to this guy i guess:

yD2rfGd.jpg

Also: Somehow i just LOVE these little Elves builds, the high fantasy aspect of it just appeals to me in a way other themes do not.

MEEaCmo.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Finally popped the cherry for 2017 as I saw the Robot Explorer in a store and had to get it, also spotted a Kylo Ren poly for £3 so grabbed that too, cute little set.

The robo-explorer is brilliant though, built the dog but switched back to the robot, such a fun little build, quite a few unusual pieces. Never had a light brick before either so that's cool, it's really fecking bright.

NysGAF

It definitely varies from year to year. I remember the 2012 Star Wars Advent calendar. They must have produced a ton of those as they were on clearance everywhere.
After that year, I have never seen any Star Wars Advent calendar on sale after holidays (mainly because they were sold out before December). I did notice this years lasted on the shelves a bit longer, but still sold out around me (Southern California).

I also think part of the production numbers are based on retail store orders.

LEGO store at Ontario Mills had a number of them yesterday; regular price. I was very surprised to see them.

I did get the Palace Cinema, even though they had Assembly Square in stock. It was tough, but I went with my head and not my heart. It's supposed to rain all day, so we're looking forward to a day of building.

My five year old put together a handful of minifigs at the store and this morning he has a fever of 103 degrees. I think they may be related...

I am about to dig deeper into the modulars. However, is there a way to tell if a set is an official Lego set or a counterfeit/chinese mock-off?

The easier way to get the older modulars here is on our version of ebay, but sometimes the sellers are not exactly experts on Lego and may say if is an official product even if it is not.

The set I am eyeing at the moment is this one:

I am about to dig deeper into the modulars. However, is there a way to tell if a set is an official Lego set or a counterfeit/chinese mock-off?

The easier way to get the older modulars here is on our version of ebay, but sometimes the sellers are not exactly experts on Lego and may say if is an official product even if it is not.

Hmmm, depends on how much reason you have to be suspicious. You could compare the box art and dimensions to pictures of the box uploaded to one of the wiki sites. If it's supposed to be sealed, you could ask for pictures of those distinctive seals. Finally, I'm not 100% sure this would work, but you could ask for a picture of the serial number and call LEGO customer service to confirm its authenticity? I am not sure if they would do that, but I know they have asked me for product serial numbers in the past for sets I didn't get directly from them when I was missing a piece or needed stickers.

Hmmm, depends on how much reason you have to be suspicious. You could compare the box art and dimensions to pictures of the box uploaded to one of the wiki sites. If it's supposed to be sealed, you could ask for pictures of those distinctive seals. Finally, I'm not 100% sure this would work, but you could ask for a picture of the serial number and call LEGO customer service to confirm its authenticity? I am not sure if they would do that, but I know they have asked me for product serial numbers in the past for sets I didn't get directly from them when I was missing a piece or needed stickers.

The photo is from its auction. The seller says te outer bx is not sealed but the bags are. Maybe I should ask for pictures of the bags. Another thing: Is there any website that describes how many bags are in each set and their numbering? With modular sets it is dificult to verify, since there are several bags with the same number.

The photo is from its auction. The seller says te outer bx is not sealed but the bags are. Maybe I should ask for pictures of the bags. Another thing: Is there any website that describes how many bags are in each set and their numbering? With modular sets it is dificult to verify, since there are several bags with the same number.
Check eurobricks reviews. They're usually linked from brickset. Often they'll have pics of all the bags.

Ponn

Banned
It definitely varies from year to year. I remember the 2012 Star Wars Advent calendar. They must have produced a ton of those as they were on clearance everywhere.
After that year, I have never seen any Star Wars Advent calendar on sale after holidays (mainly because they were sold out before December). I did notice this years lasted on the shelves a bit longer, but still sold out around me (Southern California).

I also think part of the production numbers are based on retail store orders.
t.

Yea I was just wondering if Lego maybe was paying attention to the previous high interest in advent calendars and maybe overshot ramping up production. I guess we will see next year. People probably won't have much money to spend on advent calendars next year after buying the UCS Falcon though. :)

The only bootleg modular sets I know are from Lepin. I don't know of anyone else that is bothering with those older and huge sets. That is definintely not a Lepin box, their boxes are very obvious with the 'lego logo replaced with a lepin one. The also tell would be the bags, Lepin doesn't number their bags. I joke about Lepin respecting Lego's rights to numbered bags (they aren't they are just being cheap). I'm not sure if the GE had numbered bags though or not from Lego. It was around that time they were switching over right? Maybe someone else here would know for sure but if they were numbered that would be the best tell.

Taisaijin

Lepin won't even ship their box unless you pay extra, same with the instructions.

Not to say it isn't a possibility, but I don't believe there has ever been substantiated picture evidence of a true counterfeit modular in the wild (with box, printed manuals and Lego logos on every brick) attempting to pass as new Lego. Some of the rare CMF like Mr Gold and other Comic Con rare figs have been released to pass as Lego, but there are ways to differentiate even those.

Lepin, DeCool and the rest are savvy enough to walk up to the line of counterfeit goods without stepping over. Of course there is still the TLG lawsuit pending in Chinese court but their newly minted factory may in fact play a role in that ruling.

Speaking of, can anyone confirm that Assembly Square is produced in the new china factory via seal codes?

The flaps on the box look reversed from an original one, unless when they resealed it they did it reversed and used the tabs.

But for a pic of the contents found online:
ge1.jpeg

The flaps on the box look reversed from an original one, unless when they resealed it they did it reversed and used the tabs.

ge1.jpeg

It does not say Grand Emporium at the box too, but I suspect that may be a regional thing. There are other sellers (way more expensives) with and without, even on US Ebay.

magawolaz

Hey LEGO-GAF, first time posting, but huge LEGO fan from the 90s up to early 2000.

I was recently talking to a couple of friends about Minecraft and Legos and the Lego Millenium Falcon one of them got for his 40th birthday, and I felt the LEGO nostalgia kicking in.

I decided to rebuild most of my old sets with the parts that I still have, using instructions found online, and I got a good 90% of them (I might post pics if you like). I bought some rare parts off ebay but I just learned about Bricklink and I'm about to place a €24 order with lots of small parts that I lost over the years.

Question is (TL;DR): should I go for the basic shipping method (either 4 or 6€, depending on the weight), or the insured one (€13)?
He's from Netherlands (using PostNL) and I'm in Italy. He's got 100% positive feedback. Also I'm paying with Paypal, so I should be covered if I don't get it...?

What are your experience with shipping, in that site or others? (I usually only buy from amazon, so I have no clue lol)

Big thanks!

It does not say Grand Emporium at the box too, but I suspect that may be a regional thing. There are other sellers (way more expensives) with and without, even on US Ebay.

Check out the instructions on Brickset. The instructions show when a certain bag needs to be opened. Time consuming but you can figure out how many bags are in a set.

It seems pretty legit from the photos. The lack of Grand Emporium print is the only red flag, but as you stated it could be a region thing. In US they list number of pieces, but not in some other countries.

I haven't bought any bootleg sets, but Frim what I've read they don't go the extra step of numbering bags. Would be strange if bootleg that they copy everything except the Grand Emporium name.

Hey LEGO-GAF, first time posting, but huge LEGO fan from the 90s up to early 2000.

I was recently talking to a couple of friends about Minecraft and Legos and the Lego Millenium Falcon one of them got for his 40th birthday, and I felt the LEGO nostalgia kicking in.

I decided to rebuild most of my old sets with the parts that I still have, using instructions found online, and I got a good 90% of them (I might post pics if you like). I bought some rare parts off ebay but I just learned about Bricklink and I'm about to place a €24 order with lots of small parts that I lost over the years.

Question is (TL;DR): should I go for the basic shipping method (either 4 or 6€, depending on the weight), or the insured one (€13)?
He's from Netherlands (using PostNL) and I'm in Italy. He's got 100% positive feedback. Also I'm paying with Paypal, so I should be covered if I don't get it...?

What are your experience with shipping, in that site or others? (I usually only buy from amazon, so I have no clue lol)

Big thanks!

Welcome!

I've only bought a few small things from Bricklink but I've never insured them (shipping to Canada). I haven't had any problems.

Pictures are always good - post away!

1: I have a European Grand Emporium. It's not the same as that one. It has "2182 pcs/Stck./pzs/db" on the left under the age and number thing, the name of the set in English and French on the top right, and "Building toy" in six languages on the right.

2: The side flaps look strange. Someone definitely flattened the box and then retaped it. However, if you did fold the flaps back in the wrong order, you'd end up with pure blue sides. Also, if you fold in the little tab on the side flap, it looks exactly like your picture.

I don't think a knockoff company would get the minor functional parts of the box right, so I'm thinking that it's an original set from a non US/EU region. Or a highly detailed knockoff. Or a box full of rocks.

Incidentally, this is why I hate knockoffs. You can never be completely certain unless you buy from Lego themselves.

Saerk

ge1.jpeg

Looks legit to me, but to be sure have them send a close up of the bricks. Lepin bricks will have clean studs, and lego will have lego written on them.

papluh

Most of the sets already on sale in European versions of LEGO Online Shop have gone down to -50%.
Not much there :( availability might be different on local shop versions)
- Pirate chess
- Miles' Duplo sets
- Iron Skull Sub Attack
- Mighty Micros: The Flash™ vs. Captain Cold™
- creepy brick build Santa & Pilgrim
- Airjitsu, clocks, other gear stuff...

Osahi

Poor Doggie, nobody cares he's getting gobbled up.

WFZZsGa.jpg

Love this dino set. I'll grab two extra once I see them on sale to get the extra builds.

Most of the sets already on sale in European versions of LEGO Online Shop have gone down to -50%.
Not much there :( availability might be different on local shop versions)
- Pirate chess
- Miles' Duplo sets
- Iron Skull Sub Attack
- Mighty Micros: The Flash™ vs. Captain Cold™
- creepy brick build Santa & Pilgrim
- Airjitsu, clocks, other gear stuff...

And while you're at it, add a Nexo Knights keychain (some are €2,50 now) and also receive a NK polybag.

Got me the battle arena, some keychains, a Superman magnet, pirates chess (second one, the figs alone are worth this price to me), some flyers and the Red Skull submarine. In two orders, so two polybags as well. My boy can use some baddies to fight his Fortrex.

Also got to use up some VIP points, saved me a nice €15.

Trump says he wants to cut regulations on companies by 75% so I wonder if that will result in the piece counts not being displayed on boxes anymore

magawolaz

Welcome!

I've only bought a few small things from Bricklink but I've never insured them (shipping to Canada). I haven't had any problems.

Pictures are always good - post away!
Thank you! I think I'm gonna go with the insured one this time, given it's 120+ pieces. For smaller lots I'll use the cheapest shipping method.

Maybe I'll post an album when the restoration is all done, I don't wanna flood the thread with photos :eek:)
I'll just leave this one with most of the stuff. It's not much but I loved every set back then:
The pieces from ebay already arrived, so the boats are already improved compared to the photo. Still need to find a way to redo the Armada sails though.

Another question: how long do orders from the "Pick a Brick" service usually take to arrive?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally cracked open the bags for the final step of Big Ben and uh wow

tYDWSSH.jpg

It's gonna look spectacular when it's finished though

You don't think it needs more of the building? I'd have liked an extravagant official 'B' model where you can build out more of the building by simply buying two massive sets :)

Will it fit in a billy bookcase?

You don't think it needs more of the building? I'd have liked an extravagant official 'B' model where you can build out more of the building by simply buying two massive sets :)

Will it fit in a billy bookcase?

I would LOVE that actually. Building it has been so much fun and it's drop dead gorgeous. I'd do it myself - seems like it would be pretty straightforward - but I think the best way to get the pieces to do that is probably another Big Ben and I don't want it that badly. I'm just going to display it in such a way that the "end" is disappearing into a wall.

It would fit in a long billy bookcase I think. It's not too deep (7"). You'd have to take out at least one shelf due to height though.

ghostmind

New BrickHeadz have been revealed, available on February 15th for VIPs, and March 1st for everyone.

XT3caCV.jpg

3ljzyWK.jpg

aWKbwDZ.jpg

HDM8bzP.jpg

dm9zqYX.jpg

zguBLhC.jpg

ptVg1AM.jpg

c46kvtb.jpg

There will also be releases for Belle and the Beast, from the upcoming Beauty and the Beast movie.

Note that these are different from the SDCC ones, so are the SDCC BrickHeadz convention-exclusive, or are they being released at a later date?

iosefe

New BrickHeadz have been revealed, available on February 15th for VIPs, and March 1st for everyone.

There will also be releases for Belle and the Beast, from the upcoming Beauty and the Beast movie.

Note that these are different from the SDCC ones, so are the SDCC BrickHeadz convention-exclusive, or are they being released at a later date?

assume they are exclusive

LEGO Friends Tic-tac-toe promo poly:

B0pUvrU.jpg

wgrVJxe.jpg

Any word on how to get the promo poly?

Great source for lobotomized animal figs.

EDIT: Boo on SDCC Brickheadz being exclusive. I think LEGO will release those eventually. Maybe at the end of the series. LEGO would be *ickheadz if they didn't.

ghostmind

Some bad news, LEGO is only showing to retailers at the London Toy Fair, which after how they treated the press last year does not surprise me. Unless we get leaks from retailers, we will have to wait until Nuremberg on February 1st.

Well... except for this prelim for the main set in the upcoming CITY Jungle subtheme. Fair warning though, it is very prelim:

http://m.imgur.com/mY2gPBr

Fowler

Some bad news, LEGO is only showing to retailers at the London Toy Fair, which after how they treated the press last year does not surprise me. Unless we get leaks from retailers, we will have to wait until Nuremberg on February 1st.

Well... except for this prelim for the main set in the upcoming CITY Jungle subtheme. Fair warning though, it is very prelim:

http://m.imgur.com/mY2gPBr

Whoa. What's up with the vaguely Totoro-esque structure in the middle?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom