• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Hello Lego Gaf I'm back, and I have a few sets to go over and thoughts to share on them!

First of all, I absolutely did in fact pick up The Brick Bounty when it was reduced to £55.99 in the new year retirement clearance:

dpMIrd1.jpg

At the time of purchase when I enquired about it here someone said its too simple a build and etc, but I enjoyed it regardless. It looks good and turned out to be bigger than I expected. I've never owned a lego pirate ship, even though I always wanted one as a kid, so I was super excited to put this thing together and man does it look great, but it has totally left me with the a variation on everyone's favourite First World Lego Problem:
When you want more of a kind of set, but everything surrounding it has been retired.

The 2015 Pirates line was utterly baffling last year. I understand Lego has certain lines they recycle every few years - Space theme, Knight theme, Pirate theme - but it really feels like they've been shitting the bed pretty hard with both of the "recent" pirate revivals. The Pirates 2015 line was out 9 months. It debuted last March and (with the exception of the chess set) is now already retired. And all of the sets were lackluster at BEST and it has the same problem that the 2009 line had. Almost all of the builds look absolutely rubbish (except the ship). I get the need to have a diverse price point, but please put some more effort into this, Lego Group. There is one super important thing related to Pirates that they seem to be repeatedly ignoring:

Ships.

Both the 2009 and 2015 Pirates line only have one ACTUAL ship, pirate or otherwise. The rest is dodgy looking, vaguely pirate themed, playsets where you might (if you're lucky) get a rowboat..... and it might be in blue if its for the Good Guys, if you're lucky.
Where is the fun in that? Pirates are inherently about two things:

1) Fighting The Man
2) Pillaging other ships.

How is it even nearly a fair fight if the Good Guys only ever get a few vaguely fort-looking buildings and a cannon, against the might of a well armed, fully crewed, SHIP FULL OF CANNONS? And that kind of feeds in to my core problem with both of the recentish attempts at doing Lego Pirates again. Its all well and good having a big cool Pirate Ship as the... flag ship ... of the line, but that means nothing if it has no other ships to be impressive next to by comparison.

"But Kyari!" I hear some of you cry. "How can they possibly be expected to introduce more actual ships to a modern toy line while still catering to multiple affordable price points? That's impossible!"

Not true, as it turns out. They've even done it before over multiple price points and piece counts. I get that the large ship pieces are more expensive to create (resulting in the Brick Bounty being ~$0.13/piece as a result), but here let me run it down for you all with a look at some of the neater sets:

Renegade Runner (171 pieces)

Armada Flagship (280 pieces)

Caribbean Clipper (372 pieces)

But either way, I am now in a position where my Brick Bounty looks cool as heck and I need to get another (possibly smaller) ship to sit next to it, but there is absolutely nothing available. My desperation is causing me to look at the chinese knock off sets that can be picked up dirt cheap, like Enlighten and etc, but I really have no idea what the quality of them is like and the only other option would be to spend a small fortune on super old official sets people still have.

Also I absolutely replaced the captain with the zombie pirate (who looks a lot like LeChuck) and replaced the crew with skeletons and ghosts.

Also also this post has already gone on way too long, so I'll talk about my thoughts on the Deli Corner later (I like it a lot)

My fleet is on the smaller side compared to some out there, but you are right in that the ships tend to appreciate a lot once they go OOP. I don't see the Pirates theme returning until the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie in 2017 (hopefully LEGO produces sets for this, but it is unconfirmed so far).

As to my fleet:

G0gFxB2.jpg

10210 Imperial Flagship: This is the ship you were looking for to complement the 2009 Pirates releases - it came out at the tail end of that theme, and is arguably the best mainstream ship LEGO has produced (though it is an Imperial ship, and not a Pirate ship).

mltl0lh.jpg

4184 The Black Pearl: Rather monotone and a real dust collector, the Black Pearl is still a fine middle-of-the-line ship.

cdy7oqn.jpg

4195 Queen Anne's Revenge: The true gem of the PotC line, the QAR is a beautiful striking ship, although some do not like the use of bones in the ship structure, or the open cabin.

msLOp9D.jpg

70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow: An utterly amazing build and design that I still can't believe LEGO made for purchase, the Sea Cow is full or piratey goodness, but be a good match if you are looking for more "authentic" looking ships.

There are other LEGO-GAF'ers that know far more about LEGO Pirate ships than I do however, and hopefully one of them can steer you to an ideal boat to acquire to sail against (or alongside) The Brick Bounty.

Fowler

As a Star Wars set collector, who missed all of the UCS sets until the Imperial Shuttle (though I went back and bought some earlier ones I had missed), here is my wishlist:

Imperial Star Destroyer
Cloud City
AT-AT
Mon Calamari Star Cruiser
Republic Attack Cruiser
Geonosis Arena
A-Wing Starfighter
TIE Bomber
Y-Wing Starfighter

Nice list. My dark ages ended after yours, so there's a few more on my list that actually came out but I totally missed...

- Millennium Falcon!!!!!!!!
- Cloud City
- Resistance X-Wing
- Star Destroyer
- AT-AT
- Imperial Shuttle
- Corellian Corvette
- Snowspeeder (I know it's imminent, but still, until it's official it's on here)
- Star Cruiser
- Speeder Bike!!

An UCS Medical Frigate would bomb harder than the UCS B-Wing. I fear that ship failing as doomed some of the lesser known ships from getting UCS treatment.

And we still need an UCS AT-AT.
That will tide me over.

boltz

So I've been trolling around Craigslist looking for good Lego deals and I just have to ask what is up with the sellers who post pictures of their houses full of sealed Lego sets for sale? Did they hijack a semi full of Legos? Have a hookup with a Lego distributor?

And then there was one ad saying this: "Send us the Item Number or complete name of the set that you want, and we respond with the time and location for pick up. PLEASE DON'T ASK THE PRICE: IT IS ALWAYS 9% BELOW THE MARKET PRICE." (Now I'm wondering what "market price" is)

Are these guys for real?

Toxi

Banned
The A-Wing is one of my favorite fighters in Star Wars, so I would love to see it get the UCS treatment.
The 2015 Pirates line was utterly baffling last year. I understand Lego has certain lines they recycle every few years - Space theme, Knight theme, Pirate theme - but it really feels like they've been shitting the bed pretty hard with both of the "recent" pirate revivals. The Pirates 2015 line was out 9 months. It debuted last March and (with the exception of the chess set) is now already retired. And all of the sets were lackluster at BEST and it has the same problem that the 2009 line had. Almost all of the builds look absolutely rubbish (except the ship). I get the need to have a diverse price point, but please put some more effort into this, Lego Group.
I agree that the lack of ships is pretty awful, but I disagree with this part. Have you checked out 70411 Treasure Island? For the set's price point, it's pretty awesome, with a good selection of minifigures and accessories along with a neat-looking playset.

ghostmind

So, huh. Apparently Jang has alot of the new Ninjago sets and has reviews up.

Hmm, after watching the reviews I'm thinking that Jay's Elemental Dragon will be the only definite pick up, with the Raid Zeppelin and Tiger Widow Island being possible pick ups.

As with last year, I think we'll see the best sets come out in the 2H. I'm especially curious as to what the "Airjitzu Temple Grounds" set is all about.

Just read the details on the Batcave and got 2 thoughts:

- Funny how everyone at first LOVED the Batcave at the initial reveal with the blurry pics and now we are seeing a huge backlash against it hmm, probably because people start to realize in the clearer pictures how it is indeed rather lackluster looking as far as a pure display piece is concerned. Well, i guess it's supposed to be a playset after all.

- I don't get why they actually MADE it a playset though? I mean, stud shooters on the Batmobile etc. is this thing REALLY aimed at kids? I don't know all that many kids nowadays who grew up with 60s Batman... Hell, i watched the show as a kid, but even that was in the 80s!!! Won't kids today prefer regular Batman stuff? They don't even get the references in this one...

Fowler

Guys is there any possibility/rumor of a new UCS Millenium Falcon version?

I don't know if there are any hard rumours, but most people expect it to happen with Star Wars so big right now. Also, since the TFA Falcon is slightly different they can get away with releasing that so it's not a straight-up remake. (On the other hand, the UCS Red Five X-Wing shows they don't really have a problem with remaking older UCS sets.)

melike75

Neo Member
Just regarding the ant-man set (im a few pages behind - this thread is moving fast at the moment!) ... it was never released at retail in Australia for some reason. And it seems I've taken too long to order it from S@H...was waiting until I had something else to order from there.

Damn. I actually help out on the ant-man comic, Im a big fan of the character.

At least that was actually available at S@H for us - the last wave of Agents didnt even make it that far :(

wetwired

Just regarding the ant-man set (im a few pages behind - this thread is moving fast at the moment!) ... it was never released at retail in Australia for some reason. And it seems I've taken too long to order it from S@H...was waiting until I had something else to order from there.

Damn. I actually help out on the ant-man comic, Im a big fan of the character.

At least that was actually available at S@H for us - the last wave of Agents didnt even make it that far :(

Yeah I managed to order it around November last year, fun little set. Still not sure what the deal with it being so limited, I read somewhere it had been recalled but had no idea why?

Having slept on the Batcave, there are lots of things to love. Just somehow it's sum is less than its parts. Maybe it should have been three or four smaller sets.

Unless I get some kind of deal I am out. Hopefully the Mr Freeze figure will just be free with any $99 purchase and not tied to this set.

teeny

my local Entertainer has the minifigures in stock! Hurrah! Picked up four, reckon I got Shark Guy, Satyr, Animal Control and Jewel Thief though will open them with the other half after work to confirm.

I love the minifigure series. It was those that brought me out of the dark age really when a co-worker gave me a dupe. Surprisingly, it was not Star Wars (though that helped :p)

my local Entertainer has the minifigures in stock! Hurrah! Picked up four, reckon I got Shark Guy, Satyr, Animal Control and Jewel Thief though will open them with the other half after work to confirm.

I love the minifigure series. It was those that brought me out of the dark age really when a co-worker gave me a dupe. Surprisingly, it was not Star Wars (though that helped :p)

Eh, Shark Guy seems to be one of the rarer ones... I don't remember the distribution sheet by WhiteFang in his review but i do know that after having just bought a box and having felt out more than half of the box (of 60) not a SINGLE Shark guy yet hmmm :( maybe it's just bad luck so far and they're all stacked in the corner together or something

Kyari

I hung around waiting for my cousin to feel through an entire wall of minifigures at the lego store last night to find no shark man, he's the popular guy to get from this wave it seems like.

Also have we talked about the fact that there is probably going to be more than one Lego Classic Batman set?

KSkxwWN.jpg

This guy is nowhere to be found in the Batcave.

teeny

Eh, Shark Guy seems to be one of the rarer ones... I don't remember the distribution sheet by WhiteFang in his review but i do know that after having just bought a box and having felt out more than half of the box (of 60) not a SINGLE Shark guy yet hmmm :( maybe it's just bad luck so far and they're all stacked in the corner together or something

Seems like I got lucky then. To be honest, I was just making sure I got unique figs whilst in the shop. I'm usually a bit rubbish at feeling the bags but I'm going for no dupes this time round.

I bet they are stacked that way. I bought a box of series 5 last year that I found in a corner of Smiths and most of the figs were grouped together.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I have both. I'm currently about halfway through building the bank. I think the Dectective's Office takes it thanks to more micro builds, the entry way, larger variety in the different rooms (pool hall, barber shop, upstairs kitchen, detectives office), and multi level roof with its little water toewer. They're closer than those details would make you think though. The Bank is a very solid build with a wider range of play elements that are all easier to access when compared to the Detectives Office.

Take a good look at your existing modular lineup. Which building would add more character? Which one would strengthen the look of the others? Do you need a corner building or not?

After watching the build videos, I feel like the Office is more for me since the bank had a solid "first floor" but the upper floors felt lacking.

Ponn

Banned
Hmm, after watching the reviews I'm thinking that Jay's Elemental Dragon will be the only definite pick up, with the Raid Zeppelin and Tiger Widow Island being possible pick ups.

As with last year, I think we'll see the best sets come out in the 2H. I'm especially curious as to what the "Airjitzu Temple Grounds" set is all about.

I'm not as crazy about this wave as I was the last but i'm still interested in a few sets. I was excited about the theme at first but I was disappointed once they revealed some of the sets. The zeppelin set was a neat way to use the hot air balloon pieces but it makes for a small looking ship. It's alright but I wanted something bigger. Was really hoping for much more steampunk inspired stuff.

That Jay's Elemental dragon set though,wow. They continue to hit it out of the park with these Ninjago dragons, especially in the value department. The prints on the figs are great too and that monkey is a must get.

Bags 4-7 completed and much of the second floor is done. And I have to say:

Dat Firehouse HQ second floor > Dat Fire Brigade second floor

Holy crap, there's so much neat stuff going on. The arcade game, the fridge, the heater, the bedroom, the table (with dancing toaster), and the kitchen area. Once you see how they made the sink, you'll probably laugh out loud. And all while you're building this tan room, on the outside a really neat FB-esque wall takes shape.

Distribution is really good I think for this series. Unlike the low count Unicorn and Hot Dog guy in previous series, the Shark guy is actually one of the highest count in the box. The sharks must be swimming together in the box.
Kendo Master is the only one I think is a bit out of whack in distribution.

White Fang distribution:

3 Farmers
4 Astronauts
4 Grim Knights
5 Clumsy Guys
3 Tribal Women
4 Winged Battle Warriors
4 Satyrs
3 Animal Rangers
4 Janitors
3 Ballerinas
3 Winged Mech Warriors
5 Kendo Masters
5 Shark Suit Guys
4 Wrestling Champions
3 Jewel Thieves
3 Queens

I put together the Chaos Chariot as a diversion from the GB build. Macy is an awesome figure. She looks like a super-pimped WoW character. The hover horse is neat but not as cool as I thought. The chariot itself is filled with play functions and it's cool how the heads open alternately. It would be even better if it did so automatically as it rolls.

There's also a ton of new parts. Some I already scavenged for another build, so the chariot is a bit differently coloured now.

Distribution is really good I think for this series. Unlike the low count Unicorn and Hot Dog guy in previous series, the Shark guy is actually one of the highest count in the box. The sharks must be swimming together in the box.
Kendo Master is the only one I think is a bit out of whack in distribution.

White Fang distribution:

3 Farmers
4 Astronauts
4 Grim Knights
5 Clumsy Guys
3 Tribal Women
4 Winged Battle Warriors
4 Satyrs
3 Animal Rangers
4 Janitors
3 Ballerinas
3 Winged Mech Warriors
5 Kendo Masters
5 Shark Suit Guys
4 Wrestling Champions
3 Jewel Thieves
3 Queens

Yeah, in the meantime we did manage to find the Shark guys, they were all hiding in the back of the box somehow... 4 of them for me though.

Honestly, i wasn't expecting it but i believe that for me, my favorite figure in this series really is the clumsy guy. Just so completely out of left field, he's amazing! The way you can pose him with his damaged cast foot in the front, the little signatures on the cast, the crutches, the little story being told by his shirt alone (dat evil banana). It is a great series overall though with many noteworthy entries!

Taisaijin

Have to agree - the open "playset" nature of the set doesn't work nearly as well as something like the AA or GBH sets.

Great vehicles and the office vignette are both very cool but I don't see this displaying well or appealing to the younger play-oriented crowd.. TLG missed the mark on this one for me.

Piling on the wishlist for a classic UCS BM though!

Finished the Fortrex today. Fun build, a tad smaller than I expected, and the Library is almost a must if you want to display it opened up. Makes me super excited for whatever volcano base we get in the summer.

Have the Rumble Blade and Chariot up next.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Were you all talking about Ant Man Final Battle a few pages ago being rare? My local Meijer has 30+ sets on clearance for $15.
Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut????

I just bit the bullet and got one for 47 off Amazon last night. I made it back though, cause I also bought a ton of other sets that were 10 bucks off, so it's fine.

Hagi

The giant AntMan is cracking me up. Love it.

It's bad because that's the only thing I actually find interesting out of that set :x

I just got back into Lego proper for the first time since I was like 12 because my girlfriend bought me both the Millennium Falcon and Poe's X-Wing for Christmas. They are great sets, I think the Falcon is my favourite probably.

So far the leaked box art for the Star Wars sets aren't really getting me excited, looking forward to the other rumoured stuff though. I'm sure I read that there might be some kind of Hoth set on the horizon? that would be cool.

Kyari

Its time to talk about my current favourite 2016 release, you guys and gals.

31050 the Corner Deli

And oh man do I love this set. It is cute as hell. Not a huge build, but I've always enjoyed the way they've tried to apply an almost macro-modular set to some of the Creator buildings the past few years. I also like that they designed a building that works both closed and opened, with extra sidewalk when its opened at a 90 degree angle like in the pic above. Its not to scale with the modulars, but it still doesn't look entirely out of place with them:

This set has really made me want to pick up the Cafe & Bike Shop set from 2014 before its price jumps up (now that its retired), to go along side it.

Ponn

Banned
Little bit of spoilers in that Ant Man set besides of course the "big" one (pun intended). It looks like we also know which side Ant-Man will be on now.

Wanderer5

Little bit of spoilers in that Ant Man set besides of course the "big" one (pun intended). It looks like we also know which side Ant-Man will be on now.

?

It been known which side he is on.
NE1M30G4p2Pb38_2_b.jpg

(On hawkeye's shoulder, and heck they been hyping ant-man/hawkeye teamup a bit).

Ponn

Banned
?

It been known which side he is on.
NE1M30G4p2Pb38_2_b.jpg

(On hawkeye's shoulder, and heck they been hyping ant-man/hawkeye teamup a bit).

Oh, i've been avoiding the spoiler threads once the info started leaking like crazy. i didn't even know sharon was in it till I saw the box. Nice we get a fig of her too by the way.

Bigfoot

31050 the Corner Deli

And oh man do I love this set. It is cute as hell. Not a huge build, but I've always enjoyed the way they've tried to apply an almost macro-modular set to some of the Creator buildings the past few years. I also like that they designed a building that works both closed and opened, with extra sidewalk when its opened at a 90 degree angle like in the pic above. Its not to scale with the modulars, but it still doesn't look entirely out of place with them:

This set has really made me want to pick up the Cafe & Bike Shop set from 2014 before its price jumps up (now that its retired), to go along side it.
That looks great! I've got the Toy Shop so maybe I should pick this up and get the Bike Shop too to make a small street. I haven't convinced myself to pick up a Modular yet even though I've been thinking about it... these may be the next best thing (and for a quarter of the price).

3N16MA

Banned
Were you all talking about Ant Man Final Battle a few pages ago being rare? My local Meijer has 30+ sets on clearance for $15.

At least pick up one for yourself if you care about Marvel/Superhero minifigs. It's not everyday you can pick up a $15 set with 3 exclusive minifigs.

There is a good chance we get another Ant-Man minifig in the future, but Hank Pym (in Ant-Man suit) and Yellowjacket probably won't show up again.

31050 the Corner Deli

I bought this set for my wife. She loves it. She wants a mini modular town around her desk. FYI, the bike shop and grocery store are on TRU below msrp right now. Maybe it was just the bike shop on sale? Anyway, check it out.

The problem is that my wife wants 3 of each now, one for each build.

3N16MA

Banned
Those smaller creator buildings are great for constructing a small street. Similar to a mini modular setup like SillyEskimo mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom