• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
*edit* oh I must have read a midreporting of the piece count... the price seems reasonable actually.

Well, it's on my radar. Have to see if I can fit it in.

The main issue for me is that while I can appreciate the 60s show, i'm just not a big enough fan of it to want something this expensive. However I do admire it for a lot of reasons. It's a rather ambitious set to be releasing.

Doesn't interest me in the slightest, so I can dodge an expensive bullet. I was pretty good last year sticking to my no superhero rule and mainly focusing on modulars and Star Wars. See how I go this year.

3N16MA

Banned
The price per piece (USD) is not bad when compared to other recent DC licensed sets.

Gorilla Grodd goes Bananas - $0.1440
Darkseid Invasion - $0.1284
Jokerland - $0.1157
Green Lantern vs. Sinestro - $0.1149
The Batboat Harbor Pursuit - $0.1136
The Tumbler - $0.1070
Batman Classic TV Series Batcave - $0.1069
Batman: The Joker Steam Roller- $0.1028

I'm sure the value of the pieces included in those sets vary and some provide more or less value. However I doubt TLG would price this set much lower than $270. At $200 you're looking at $0.7917 per piece which is not going to happen. It just so happens to be a very big set.

ghostmind

The price per piece (USD) is not bad when compared to other recent DC licensed sets.

Gorilla Grodd goes Bananas - $0.1440
Darkseid Invasion - $0.1284
Jokerland - $0.1157
Green Lantern vs. Sinestro - $0.1149
The Batboat Harbor Pursuit - $0.1136
The Tumbler - $0.1070
Batman Classic TV Series Batcave - $0.1069
Batman: The Joker Steam Roller- $0.1028

I'm sure the value of the pieces included in those sets vary and some provide more or less value. However I doubt TLG would price this set much lower than $270. At $200 you're looking at $0.7917 per piece which is not going to happen. It just so happens to be a very big set.

Very good point! Going to use this post as an example in the OT thread, where the usual reaction is that LEGO is overpriced.

3N16MA

Banned
This set has some nice elements (Wayne Manor, Batmobile, minifigs) but as a whole it just isn't for me. I'm not the biggest fan of the TV series but there are plenty of people who are. It's got a big price but it's not a bad value considering all the other DC sets.

I can see people passing on this because of the price and just the look of the set. However once it disappears it could rocket in value due to it not being hoarded. I doubt TLG revisits the TV series on this scale again.

This set has some nice elements (Wayne Manor, Batmobile, minifigs) but as a whole it just isn't for me. I'm not the biggest fan of the TV series but there are plenty of people who are. It's got a big price but it's not a bad value considering all the other DC sets.

I can see people passing on this because of the price and just the look of the set. However once it disappears it could rocket in value due to it not being hoarded. I doubt TLG revisits the TV series on this scale again.

Yeah, play sets inherently just don't look as good as a full set like a modular or something. If i ever end up buying a lego set with a price like that i'd make sure its one that looks really damn good on display instead

Ponn

Banned
Holy Wallets Batman! I'm still in though. There are things I immediately love about it like the sideways wall climbing, they got the vehicles perfect and those prints on the figs are just so fantastical.

Stopped by gamestop and got Lego Avengers preordered. Said for Vita and had the employee stumped for a minute. $30 for an iron man fig, quick playthrough then trade it back in quick and wait for el cheapo sale on the ps4 version.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like it. Yeah, it could be better, but that doesn't mean I'm not a fan still.
Not 100% sure I'll buy it, but it's likely that I will at some point. If it sells as badly as the consensus here might suggest, there will probably be a nice promotion at some point. Probably not a discount, but maybe something like the Temple of Airjitzu where you buy the set and get another set free.

Edit: Just watched the video.
Oi. All those stickers are a pretty big turn-off...
But that wallpaper printed piece is awesome. I hope that those are treated as new pieces rather than just new prints, in the sense that they start turning up in other sets as well. I really like how that looks. The way they were explaining how they work sort of gave me the sense that the printed design was here to stay, but that's just a gut feeling.

You are not alone. I like the set as a huge fan of the show growing up. My jaw didn't drop in amazement when I first saw photos, but it does a great job of capturing all the elements the TV show is known for.
For me the color of the cave was off putting as I usually picture light or dark bluish grey as stone color for a Batcave. I did look at some photos of the batcave from the show and it does appear to be closer to the dark tan in some shots.

When breaking down the set to smaller components, they are done very well IMO.
- Batmobile
- Batcopter
- Wayne Manor study
- Atomic reactor
- Batcycle
- Minifigs
- Nice details such as Batcomputers and lab stuff

The Wanyne Manor facade almost seems unnecessary. I understand they probably put it in to smooth out the study to Batcave transition. It was also probably added as a play feature and to allow for the famous wall climbing. The facade exaggerates the lack of a full side of a building.

If this set doesn't sell well like the Town Hall, you can bet resellers will be all over it. I may even buy an extra one for investment if it doesn't sell too well.

wetwired

I hate to think how much the batcave is going to be here in Australia.

did they really have to put stud shooters on the batmobile?? sigh

ghostmind

Holy Wallets Batman! I'm still in though. There are things I immediately love about it like the sideways wall climbing, they got the vehicles perfect and those prints on the figs are just so fantastical.

Stopped by gamestop and got Lego Avengers preordered. Said for Vita and had the employee stumped for a minute. $30 for an iron man fig, quick playthrough then trade it back in quick and wait for el cheapo sale on the ps4 version.

Yeah, this is what I am doing, but with the 3DS version. Hoping for a decent trade-in to reduce the overall cost, but knowing Gamestop I'll probably get $5 for a one-week old game.

Finished bags 1-3 so far, which builds the entire lower floor minus interior parts. This is going to be a massive set.

I've already made some changes, like putting the street sign and the ooze on the left side of the building, since I'll have the other against the wall. I briefly considered shifting the entire thing five studs to the right, to eliminate the right sidewalk and make the left one more of a standard modular width, but nah. If I ever rearrange the street, it will look silly.

It's all a huge wall at the moment, but once I load it up with ghosts it's going to be anything but dull!

neonglow

I wish the Batcave was split into multiple smaller sets. I really like the vehicles but the cave almost feels incomplete and almost an afterthought.

Some of the price is larger number of bigger pieces I would assume. The more plastic in it the higher the cost and it's actually quite interesting how the costs scale. Certain colors also cost more than other colors for exact same bricks. You also have licencing for each figure probably, not just the show itself as people get paid for when their likeness is used as opposed to fictional characters, these are based on actors. Plus obviously show licensing and a calculation on how many sets need to be sold to what price in order to make a profit.

The plastic cost is at most 20 euro for this, including packaging 25 euro. And that is me being very generous. The money is in the license, creation and profit. None of that goes to the actors. Maybe in some newer properties actors get those kind of deals (after Star Wars), but in the 60s nobody got licensing deals for toys.

The set is not per sé overpriced, it is just a bit of a lackluster set in my humble opinion. It is a lot of small sets combined into a larger set. It is not one big display piece and besides that I don't find its looks very pleasing. It is basically a playset, but with the target audience (and price) in mind it should have been a display piece.

So mixed on the batcave. I was really looking forward to it, but this is definitely going to be over $300 in Canada and I'm not sure I can justify that for some disjointed play areas. I think making the outer wall so tall was a mistake as it makes the batcave side so boring looking, making the set difficult to display for me.

I might bite eventually, but I'm still holding out hope for some tumbler-calibre 60's batmobile, which is all I really want, anyway.

3N16MA

Banned
TLG has done an amazing job keeping Canadian pricing steady even after the dollar plunged. Have to applaud them for that.

Once the instructions are out, I'm building my replica of that Batmobile.

Better buy the red mudguards ASAP once you know the exact ones needed. If it's the lower profile mudguard, you may be screwed as it doesn't come in red in any other sets.

Vehicle, Mudguard 4 x 2 1/2 x 1 with Arch Round
Item No: 98282
https://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/searchproduct.page?q=mudguard#T=A

For comparison to the Comicon exclusive:
wujIPdn.jpg
TxjiPTO.jpg

It does look like the arch is only 1 brick in height which is the lower profile one. What are other opinions on the mudguard type used?

EDIT: I would worry too much as I'm sure it will eventually come in red. Mould was introduced in 2012.

wetwired

Better buy the red mudguards ASAP once you know the exact ones needed. If it's the lower profile mudguard, you may be screwed as it doesn't come in red in any other sets.

Vehicle, Mudguard 4 x 2 1/2 x 1 with Arch Round
Item No: 98282
https://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/searchproduct.page?q=mudguard#T=A

For comparison to the Comicon exclusive:
wujIPdn.jpg
TxjiPTO.jpg

It does look like the arch is only 1 brick in height which is the lower profile one. What are other opinions on the mudguard type used?

EDIT: I would worry too much as I'm sure it will eventually come in red. Mould was introduced in 2012.

You could do it with dark red instead? it's available

I wish the Batcave was split into multiple smaller sets. I really like the vehicles but the cave almost feels incomplete and almost an afterthought.

I wonder if, like that LOTR set and the Double Decker Couch, they'll eventually piece out the Batcave and make just the 60s car its own set.

I mean, it's apparently a very poorly kept secret at this point that there's supposed to be an entire wave of 1960s Batman sets coming, and aside from like some kind of generic bank heist or the classic bomb run down the dock, I can't imagine them not doing just the classic Batmobile or some kind of slight variation of it. Even with my discount I'm super on the fence about this set. I really, really don't like the over-all design and barren walls but I want the minifigs and 60s Batmobile so bad, I've been waiting for nearly a year now for this to finally be revealed ;___;

I wonder if, like that LOTR set and the Double Decker Couch, they'll eventually piece out the Batcave and make just the 60s car its own set.

I mean, it's apparently a very poorly kept secret at this point that there's supposed to be an entire wave of 1960s Batman sets coming, and aside from like some kind of generic bank heist or the classic bomb run down the dock, I can't imagine them not doing just the classic Batmobile or some kind of slight variation of it. Even with my discount I'm super on the fence about this set. I really, really don't like the over-all design and barren walls but I want the minifigs and 60s Batmobile so bad, I've been waiting for nearly a year now for this to finally be revealed ;___;

Batmobile with just Batman, Robin, Batgirl, and Mr. Freeze.

TheFuzz

RE: 1960s Batcave....I'm having a change of heart I think.... As a whole, the set just pulls at me, I don't know why.

My favorite sets are the ones that have a good value and a lot of room for improving. It's also one of the few sets where I actually really like the vehicles.

I'm gonna crack. I know it.

owk93oN.jpg

Just going to come right out and say it. The fact that this set does not come with a shark is very, very disappointing....

I am disappointed there isn't a giant bomb for Batman to run around with.

kTyvfm8.gif

EDIT: Finally watched the designer video. Joker has the mustache, and that is amazing.

Kyari

Hello Lego Gaf I'm back, and I have a few sets to go over and thoughts to share on them!

First of all, I absolutely did in fact pick up The Brick Bounty when it was reduced to £55.99 in the new year retirement clearance:

dpMIrd1.jpg

At the time of purchase when I enquired about it here someone said its too simple a build and etc, but I enjoyed it regardless. It looks good and turned out to be bigger than I expected. I've never owned a lego pirate ship, even though I always wanted one as a kid, so I was super excited to put this thing together and man does it look great, but it has totally left me with the a variation on everyone's favourite First World Lego Problem:
When you want more of a kind of set, but everything surrounding it has been retired.

The 2015 Pirates line was utterly baffling last year. I understand Lego has certain lines they recycle every few years - Space theme, Knight theme, Pirate theme - but it really feels like they've been shitting the bed pretty hard with both of the "recent" pirate revivals. The Pirates 2015 line was out 9 months. It debuted last March and (with the exception of the chess set) is now already retired. And all of the sets were lackluster at BEST and it has the same problem that the 2009 line had. Almost all of the builds look absolutely rubbish (except the ship). I get the need to have a diverse price point, but please put some more effort into this, Lego Group. There is one super important thing related to Pirates that they seem to be repeatedly ignoring:

Ships.

Both the 2009 and 2015 Pirates line only have one ACTUAL ship, pirate or otherwise. The rest is dodgy looking, vaguely pirate themed, playsets where you might (if you're lucky) get a rowboat..... and it might be in blue if its for the Good Guys, if you're lucky.
Where is the fun in that? Pirates are inherently about two things:

1) Fighting The Man
2) Pillaging other ships.

How is it even nearly a fair fight if the Good Guys only ever get a few vaguely fort-looking buildings and a cannon, against the might of a well armed, fully crewed, SHIP FULL OF CANNONS? And that kind of feeds in to my core problem with both of the recentish attempts at doing Lego Pirates again. Its all well and good having a big cool Pirate Ship as the... flag ship ... of the line, but that means nothing if it has no other ships to be impressive next to by comparison.

"But Kyari!" I hear some of you cry. "How can they possibly be expected to introduce more actual ships to a modern toy line while still catering to multiple affordable price points? That's impossible!"

Not true, as it turns out. They've even done it before over multiple price points and piece counts. I get that the large ship pieces are more expensive to create (resulting in the Brick Bounty being ~$0.13/piece as a result), but here let me run it down for you all with a look at some of the neater sets:

Renegade Runner (171 pieces)

Armada Flagship (280 pieces)

Caribbean Clipper (372 pieces)

But either way, I am now in a position where my Brick Bounty looks cool as heck and I need to get another (possibly smaller) ship to sit next to it, but there is absolutely nothing available. My desperation is causing me to look at the chinese knock off sets that can be picked up dirt cheap, like Enlighten and etc, but I really have no idea what the quality of them is like and the only other option would be to spend a small fortune on super old official sets people still have.

Also I absolutely replaced the captain with the zombie pirate (who looks a lot like LeChuck) and replaced the crew with skeletons and ghosts.

Also also this post has already gone on way too long, so I'll talk about my thoughts on the Deli Corner later (I like it a lot)

3N16MA

Banned
2017 marks the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. I was thinking of potential UCS sets TLG could release (inspired by a thread on eurobricks) in order to commemorate the anniversary. They have released new versions of the X-Wing, Sandcrawler, Death Star, Snowspeeder (2016).

The Imperial Star Destroyer is overdue for a remake as it was last released 15 years prior to 2017. I can see another giant 3000+ piece set. Maybe the long rumored UCS MF will be released the same way it was during the 30th anniversary. Perhaps a large UCS AT-AT.

I would take anyone of those.

ghostmind

2017 marks the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. I was thinking of potential UCS sets TLG could release (inspired by a thread on eurobricks) in order to commemorate the anniversary. They have released new versions of the X-Wing, Sandcrawler, Death Star, Snowspeeder (2016).

The Imperial Star Destroyer is overdue for a remake as it was last released 15 years prior to 2017. I can see another giant 3000+ piece set. Maybe the long rumored UCS MF will be released the same way it was during the 30th anniversary. Perhaps a large UCS AT-AT.

I would take anyone of those.

As a Star Wars set collector, who missed all of the UCS sets until the Imperial Shuttle (though I went back and bought some earlier ones I had missed), here is my wishlist:

Imperial Star Destroyer
Cloud City
AT-AT
Mon Calamari Star Cruiser
Republic Attack Cruiser
Geonosis Arena
A-Wing Starfighter
TIE Bomber
Y-Wing Starfighter

Cloud City is vastly overdue, and the only set that could truly replace the Best Star.

Mon Calamari Cruiser (Home One) would be awesome to see, mainly because of me wondering how well they would pull off the curves of it.

Star Destroyer is in desperate need of a revamp. It is also one of my favorite ships from the series.

A-Wing has never gotten the UCS treatment though, so it deserves it. It is the only major Rebel fighter to not get the UCS treatment as well.

I still want an UCS Medical Frigate though...

3N16MA

Banned
Cloud City seems like a set everyone wants. I guess that is what happens when the previous set is under 700 pieces, 13 years old, and is well over $1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom