• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least pick up one for yourself if you care about Marvel/Superhero minifigs. It's not everyday you can pick up a $15 set with 3 exclusive minifigs.

There is a good chance we get another Ant-Man minifig in the future, but Hank Pym (in Ant-Man suit) and Yellowjacket probably won't show up again.

Not really into the superhero sets, but I can't pass up a good deal! We bought a few, I guess I'll keep an eye on the market and see what happens.

boltz

I bought this set for my wife. She loves it. She wants a mini modular town around her desk. FYI, the bike shop and grocery store are on TRU below msrp right now. Maybe it was just the bike shop on sale? Anyway, check it out.

The problem is that my wife wants 3 of each now, one for each build.

Yup, I got my bike shop and café set at TRU for the current price of $73. Really like the set, especially since it's two separate buildings and they have some nice details.

Amazon has the toy shop for $34 now, but the interior is pretty sparse compared to the bike shop and café, so that one doesn't really interest me much.

3N16MA

Banned
Yup, I got my bike shop and café set at TRU for the current price of $73. Really like the set, especially since it's two separate buildings and they have some nice details.

Amazon has the toy shop for $34 now, but the interior is pretty sparse compared to the bike shop and café, so that one doesn't really interest me much.

The Toy and Grocery Shop looks better when you close the two halves. It's a nice compact building that way and it's how my niece displays it.

3N16MA

Banned
As I said before, TLG deserves credit for keeping Canadian prices steady with the plunging dollar. However I'm not sure how long they can keep that going. The Loonie dipped under 70 cents U.S. and it looks like it will continue to fall. The Batcave is $320 CAD but the current exchange rate actually brings the price to $388 CAD. The Ghostbusters HQ is $400 CAD but the exchange rate ups that to $502 CAD.

I'm sure more goes into LEGO pricing than simply using the current CAD/USD exchange rate but I wouldn't be surprised if these Canadian prices don't last through the year.

Nitemare1

As I said before, TLG deserves credit for keeping Canadian prices steady with the plunging dollar. However I'm not sure how long they can keep that going. The Loonie dipped under 70 cents U.S. and it looks like it will continue to fall. The Batcave is $320 CAD but the current exchange rate actually brings the price to $388 CAD. The Ghostbusters HQ is $400 CAD but the exchange rate ups that to $502 CAD.

I'm sure more goes into LEGO pricing than simply using the current CAD/USD exchange rate but I wouldn't be surprised if these Canadian prices don't last through the year.

I heard another story yesterday that it could drop as low as 60 cents and I cringed thinking about what will happen to Lego and Videogame prices. Certainly makes picking and choosing sets a little more difficult. Time to cut back a little on the impulse buying I think.

valkyre

Guys help!

Battle on Takodana or Resistance Trooper Transport??

I really cant decide :S

(I already have Millenium Falcon, Kylo Ren Shuttle, X Wing, Rey Speeder, Tie Fighter)

Rootbeer

Banned
Troop Transport. Though I had to get both. Unmasked Kylo and Maz did it for me.

The Takodana is kind of a ripoff unless you're a completionist or prefer playsets to spaceships.

valkyre

Troop Transport. Though I had to get both. Unmasked Kylo and Maz did it for me.

The Takodana is kind of a ripoff unless you're a completionist or prefer playsets to spaceships.

The only thing that I kinda dont like with the Troop transport is the size of it, it kinda looks way too small, compared to the other sets at least. And the stickers :S

Of course the same applies to Takodana, but those minifigs are the ones that draw me to it.

ghostmind

d4qee3Q.gif

"Buy them up, all of them"

Tom_Cody

Guys help!

(I already have Millenium Falcon, Kylo Ren Shuttle, X Wing, Rey Speeder, Tie Fighter)
I would personally go with the Resistance Troop Transporter, mainly because I tremendously favor vehicles over diorama sets.

Further, you already have the interesting mini-figs that are in the Takodana set thanks to your other purchases.

The Takodana Kylo looks too generically evil, like a Young Palpatine or something. We probably won't get Maz anywhere else unless she's important in the sequels, so figure collectors might have to bite the bullet, but for me it's not hard to pass on that set.

Guys help!

Wait for sale prices for both, then get both. Takodana was $10 under MSRP a few times already on Target. Not sure if mistake in pricing or not. Resistance Trooper Transport isn't a great display piece, but after watching a review it seems like a really fun build with nice techniques.

Just got done with floor 1 of the Palace Cinema and... already i like what i see, even though it's by far the most hated modular on here for some reason. I mean, sure the interior is pretty bland so far but compare that to Grand Emporium or even Pet shop which really isn't all that inside either. The outside however looks really unique already and i can tell it will get even better with the middle and roof sections.

Sometimes i wonder why i even bother with other sets when the modular series is actually where it's at. Compared to the intricacies of modular buildings, the rest of Lego really seems like child's play sometimes (pun intended) ;)

And yet... my backlog begs to differ :(

Just got done with floor 1 of the Palace Cinema and... already i like what i see, even though it's by far the most hated modular on here for some reason. I mean, sure the interior is pretty bland so far but compare that to Grand Emporium or even Pet shop which really isn't all that inside either. The outside however looks really unique already and i can tell it will get even better with the middle and roof sections.

Sometimes i wonder why i even bother with other sets when the modular series is actually where it's at. Compared to the intricacies of modular buildings, the rest of Lego really seems like child's play sometimes (pun intended) ;)

Please post your opinion of the sign when you're done with it. I know I've ranted about it before but...man did I feel it stressed the elements way too much.

ghostmind

Palace Cinema isn't horrible - well the car is horrible - it just isn't up to the level of the rest of them. Previously, and since, the modulars had been done by Jamie (except for the Town Hall, which was done by Astrid and Jamie). The Palace Cinema was designed by Astrid and an intern, and it shows.

I like the Palace Cinema more than Pet Shop, Town Hall, Fire Brigade, and the Grand Emporium. To me, the new age of improved modulars did not start with the Parisian Restaurant. They started with the Palace Cinema.

Found an Arctic Base Camp for half price, $45, at Target earlier today. I had been thinking I'd return the Arctic Outpost I'd picked up at half off, $25, from Target.com a couple months ago, but not anymore.

Taisaijin

I like the Palace Cinema more than Pet Shop, Town Hall, Fire Brigade, and the Grand Emporium. To me, the new age of improved modulars did not start with the Parisian Restaurant. They started with the Palace Cinema.

Wait, new age of improved modulars? In my opinion it's been the opposite- smaller buildings, less grand facades in lieu of significantly scaled down structures, missing interior walls and cramped "play features".

Oh how I wish TLG would return modulars to the era of the GG and TH and leave the forced storylines and play features behind.

Bigfoot

Wait, new age of improved modulars? In my opinion it's been the opposite- smaller buildings, less grand facades in lieu of significantly scaled down structures, missing interior walls and cramped "play features".

Oh how I wish TLG would return modulars to the era of the GG and TH and leave the forced storylines and play features behind.
I'm no expert but from what I've read the last 3 modulars are much more interesting and creative builds compared to the older ones. The new ones also use new techniques and pieces in creative ways.

The older modulars may have looked grander but were boring and repetitive builds.

I think the Palace Cinema is one of the prettiest modulars from the outside, but the inside is a complete disappointment. I adore that roof and marquee.

Picked up the red Propeller Plane and the little Super Soarer jet; great, inexpensive sets.

The red Prop Plane is bigger than I expected, almost as wide as the Blue Power Jet and about 55-60% the length -- fits a minifig, as well. The little F-14's wing action is sooooo cool; makes me want one in the same scale as the BPJ.

Now Lego needs to make a $100 SR71-inspired creator set next year, or a B2!

I got started on Brick Bank. First bag is a little dull. You literally spend the first ten pages tiling 90% of the baseplate. Then it's basically stacking walls for quite some time. The flower beds are rather nice and the service windows are AWESOME, but so far I'm not amazed.

It will take a lot to beat the GB HQ though. What a ride.

Jinroh

I'm such a fan of Nexo Knights. It has an ice planet aesthetic mixed with a castle theme, I absolutely love it. And most of the knight sets are something similar to M.A.S.K where the vehicles separate into smaller ones or transform.

I'm having a blast with these figures and I highly recommend them. The only negative side is that my GF thinks I'm retarded to play with such lego sets at the age of 32, but oh well.

I think the Palace Cinema is one of the prettiest modulars from the outside, but the inside is a complete disappointment. I adore that roof and marquee.

This is how I felt about the Grand Emporium after I finished it. The outside looks so boss but the inside may as well be empty. First floor has some nice mini bits but the other two floors are just sad. I really want to MOC that one to have an arcade in it or something. ANYTHING.

Just to be clear, is it what's on the inside that counts or the outside? :)

I'm such a fan of Nexo Knights. It has an ice planet aesthetic mixed with a castle theme, I absolutely love it. And most of the knight sets are something similar to M.A.S.K where the vehicles separate into smaller ones or transform.

I'm having a blast with these figures and I highly recommend them. The only negative side is that my GF thinks I'm retarded to play with such lego sets at the age of 32, but oh well.

I liked the minifigs from the beginning, but the color scheme and sets slowly grew on me. For me, it's mostly about the minifigs and brick built creatures. I'm very interested to see what they have in store for future waves for the minfigs and sets. In the meantime, the sets are a goldmines for new mould elements.

ABS plastic lasts a lifetime. GF's may or may not. :)

TheFuzz

I got started on Brick Bank. First bag is a little dull. You literally spend the first ten pages tiling 90% of the baseplate. Then it's basically stacking walls for quite some time. The flower beds are rather nice and the service windows are AWESOME, but so far I'm not amazed.

It will take a lot to beat the GB HQ though. What a ride.

Please tell me more. How is the GB HQ from a build perspective? I've purposely avoided looking really closely at the interior so I can be a little surprised.. I've seen it, but I worried the build may be lots of stacking. How was it?

Ponn

Banned
I liked the cinema, I'm in the minority though with my tastes as I think the Pet Shop is the worst modular.

Wait, do people not like the Cinema?

I don't think i've heard anyone actually hating the Palace Cinema, they just like other sets better.

And I too actually like the Cinema better then the Pet Shop. I know the Pet Shop is mad loved. I notice one of the big and common complaints with the not as well liked modulars is the lack of detail on the inside. Now while I appreciate detail on the inside of a modular I actually prefer the outside to be the most striking feature. While the Pet Shop has a nice exterior the Cinema is more vibrant to me on the outside. I'm just not going to be opening these modulars up to admire the inside of them. It actually makes me sad because I feel its wasted work and detail.

3N16MA

Banned
Just found out that the Sea Cow is OOP? Is this recent? Anyone have any around them?

Nowhere to be found around here. It was retired late last year.

I know this is going to be the set I regret not buying. Always loved it, great display piece, huge build, it's such a unique and crazy ship, The LEGO Movie is awesome. I just had so many other sets I wanted to get before they were gone that it always got pushed back. I thought it would have a two year shelf but it did not.

TheFuzz

I don't think i've heard anyone actually hating the Palace Cinema, they just like other sets better.

And I too actually like the Cinema better then the Pet Shop. I know the Pet Shop is mad loved. I notice one of the big and common complaints with the not as well liked modulars is the lack of detail on the inside. Now while I appreciate detail on the inside of a modular I actually prefer the outside to be the most striking feature. While the Pet Shop has a nice exterior the Cinema is more vibrant to me on the outside. I'm just not going to be opening these modulars up to admire the inside of them. It actually makes me sad because I feel its wasted work and detail.

Palace Cinema is a fantastic looking build, but the build isn't really full of "oh, wow!" surprising moments like the modulars are known for.

The limo is probably the worst Lego vehicle made in the last 5 years, too. It's awful. Those pieces should have been used to spruce up the interior a little.

That being said, being the worst modular is like the being the least talented player in the Hall of Fame. It's still really good.

leng jai

If you're one of those people that buys Modulars purely for the display and don't care about interiors, I'd say Palace Cinema is one of the best ones.

Ponn

Banned
Palace Cinema is a fantastic looking build, but the build isn't really full of "oh, wow!" surprising moments like the modulars are known for.

The limo is probably the worst Lego vehicle made in the last 5 years, too. It's awful. Those pieces should have been used to spruce up the interior a little.

That being said, being the worst modular is like the being the least talented player in the Hall of Fame. It's still really good.

The limo was my only real complaint about that set. It was so worthless and a waste of pieces. I actually enjoyed the third bag builds alot. The roof was neat how it came together and I really enjoyed building the front sign and how that came together.

If you're one of those people that buys Modulars purely for the display and don't care about interiors, I'd say Palace Cinema is one of the best ones.

Bingo

Grand Emporium is still my favorite in the looks department. But I am weird.

I still have the GE to build. I was going to work on something but I was deciding between the GE, the Tumbler or the Ninjago mech battle set I just got.

Kyari

Hilariously, the Cinema and the Pet Shop are the only two modulars I currently own :D

I find it a really average looking set. The details on the outside don't seem nearly as iconic as the rest of the modulars.

My kids play with the interiors every few months so I'm mainly concerned with the exterior....and I wouldn't put Palace Cinema anywhere near the top. Y'all crazy.

Grand Emporium is still my favorite in the looks department. But I am weird.

No, you're not. Those repetitive columns on the first floor are amazing looking. It may be my least favorite interior but Grand Emporium is a beautiful corner set.

The limo was my only real complaint about that set. It was so worthless and a waste of pieces. I actually enjoyed the third bag builds alot. The roof was neat how it came together and I really enjoyed building the front sign and how that came together.

I get the love for the roof, but for the sign?! I literally stopped building it and posted to this thread because the build felt so janky. I was convinced I was doing something wrong.

As Ponn01 mentioned, even a crappy modular is head and shoulders above most sets. It's a fine looking corner, just one that (I feel) doesn't even approach the quality of most other modulars.

Markus

For anyone in Canada looking for an Ant Man set, I was by my local TrU tonight in Dartmouth (Halifax) and there was 1 sitting on the shelf, plus it was discounted to $19.98-ish, meaning it qualified for BOGO 50%, so I grabbed it along with a Black Manta Sea Strike which was discounted as well.

I just read on the Brickpicker TrU Canada forum that apparently all TrU's did their yearly inventory yesterday and had to be on the shelf for counting, so you may have some luck if you get in there soon.

I've been stopping in each night this week after I noticed lat week that they keep putting new things on BOGO 50% almost every day as well as random single sets depending on what they find out-back/returns I'm assuming.

Picked up a UN HQ set that "suddenly" appeared one night as well.

BTW, there's another dude on that forum that picked up something like 22 Sea Cows online NYE when they suddenly appeared online at Toysrus.ca in the wee hours discounted to C$200 or C$200 online plus qualified for BOGO 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom