• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

willp2003

Just a head's up, Lego stores never discount exclusive sets anymore. The closest thing you'll get is if the box is jacked up you can get a ton of extra VIP points. :T

The UK still gets a small discount on May 4th. It used to be 20% but I think it was 10% last year. Well, I hope that continues for this year as well! (That was on S@H, my "local" store is an hour away).

neonglow

Crap. I just saw the Brainiac set last week at Target and didn't get it. I'm gonna be scouting all over for it now. I have to assume someplace has one.

I've seen the Hydra Fortress set at many places over the past two days, just haven't ponied up the money for it. I think I may just go for broke and buy every set I can this week and get caught up. I don't even know why I'm doing this, I don't even build any of them. I have a stack of unopened superhero sets (dating back to 2012) just sitting in my closet. I bought duplicates of the Batmobile/Riddler Dragster, the Batmobile/Two-Face truck, and the Deadpool/Wolverine Helicopter just to open them and display the Batmobiles and Deadpool/Logan figures. I've also purchased the Ecto-1, GB Firehouse, and UCS Tumbler, but have built them and have them on display at work and home. I'm just like really into collecting stuff for whatever reason. I also have no room to display any more sets at my place, so until I get an actual "house" house with a trophy room, I won't be building any of the other sets.

It sounds like you should just order the minifigures from Bricklink and forget about the sets you don't care about. For example, the Hydra Fortress isn't really special and the only exclusive minifigure is Quicksilver.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It sounds like you should just order the minifigures from Bricklink and forget about the sets you don't care about. For example, the Hydra Fortress isn't really special and the only exclusive minifigure is Quicksilver.
Here's the other thing. I don't give a crap about minifigs, haha. Like, I thought the Deadpool was cool and all, but I don't buy sets JUST for certain figures. I like the sets themselves as a scene. When I eventually get around to building them, I'd like to make some cool scenes with them when I have the space. I'm just super weird like that. Like I said, it's more about the collecting mentality for me more than anything. I do the same thing with Batman/Joker action figures... I have waaaay too many sitting in Detolf cases right now.

The UK still gets a small discount on May 4th. It used to be 20% but I think it was 10% last year. Well, I hope that continues for this year as well! (That was on S@H, my "local" store is an hour away).
Oh! Snap I guess that's what I get for just assuming you were in the US. Rock on!!

Ironmask

The Antman set was oop since november here in europe. I managed to get all the minifigs at the price of the set before the set went oop worldwide.
I'm worried about the 2016 Super Heroes line up, i like almost every set released or leaked but the prices are too jacked up and they are gonna retire really fast. This year will be very difficult to find decent bargains...

wetwired

Falcon down, I repeat the falcon is down

12556965_10153974912422994_1343336149_o.jpg

hmmblah

Hate to quote myself here, but what are your thoughts on opening the Death Star to make sure it's all there? If all the bags are still sealed, but the box is open, does that affect resale much? I haven't been burnt at that store yet, just want to be safe. I'll probably end up keeping it anyway knowing me so it won't matter in the end.

I ordered the UCS Slave this week and it was delivered today while I was at work. Of course, with the anticipation, I decided to stop at a local store and see if they had any Lego in stock.

Here's a (bad) cell phone pic of my haul. One of the Slave 1's is the one that was delivered today for $212 from S@H.

Dg79U0A.jpg

The other slave was marked at $174.99 and that Death Star in a mint box was $319! They had a few other interesting sets too, Sea Cow for $239 and some Friends hotel for $79 (1500 or so pieces). They also had a couple smaller city sets. It's been awhile since I've seen any good deals on sets so I was pretty excited.

I don't see any signs that the sets were opened or tampered with, but part of me wants to inspect that Death Star as it's probably going to stay in a box for a couple years before I get around to it. Is the value diminished much if I open the box, but leave the bags closed?

teeny

Hate to quote myself here, but what are your thoughts on opening the Death Star to make sure it's all there? If all the bags are still sealed, but the box is open, does that affect resale much? I haven't been burnt at that store yet, just want to be safe. I'll probably end up keeping it anyway knowing me so it won't matter in the end.

It will probably diminish value somewhat but if you are going to open, use and keep it anyway, what is the harm? I know I'd open it but then again I am not precious about storing boxes or resale values :)

Was just stating the other day that I'd finally grabbed all the LEGO sets I could see myself wanting for my modest lil' collection... then I go into the store and see all the new awesome Star Wars sets.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

Do not opem it if you have any doubt in your mind that you would want to keep it forever / built it yourself. An open box matters a lot if you are going to sell it later on.

Lombaszko

My son spent some of his Christmas money on The King's Mech and Clay's Rumble Blade. He's been checking the mail every day for a week, they are coming today and I imagine we'll be spending the night building and playing. You guys have gotten me hyped for the Mech!

Wooooo! 7,7 freaking kilos of Lego goodness has arrived. The GB HQ is a BEAST. Oh, and they threw in an Admiral Yularen for whatever reason.

I didn't get a note for Brick Bank so it's probably not arriving tomorrow, but I think I'll be plenty busy regardless...

Toxi

Banned
Should I get the new UCS Tie or wait for the newer UCS sets coming this year since I already have the OG UCS Tie Interceptor?
Get the UCS TIE Fighter. It's boring to build, but the final product looks incredible and is extremely solid. You can swoosh it around making PEW PEW noises no problem.

T.O.P

Banned
Can anyone explain to me how the UCS releases works? i mean is there a specific time they come out? is it even assured that VII-VIII-IX are gonna get some?

I checked the leaked SW sets coming in the next months but they don't really interest me tbh, Poe's X-Fighter and the Millenium Falcon were an insta buy as soon as i saw them...next one might be a Starkiller Base or something, the A-wing could be interesting as well

Btw i almost went and bought the Kylo Ren's Shuttle thinking that it looked like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikk-egNrnXw

They have to make a second black model with decent movable wings at some poitnt

IHaveIce

Banned
Lego really has to do something for their female faces, they all look really bad. Catwoman is a superb fig, except for that buttugly face, not even close to the beauty of the original.
From the same problem suffers Black Widow.

The Batman is neat I guess, the set is not that good IMO. Joker.. man they really kept that mustache? ..
Of course it is very close to the original, but I still think this is rubbish.

Is that a bunch of 1x4 bricks with prints, or a HUGE case of stickers across multiple parts for the wallpaper?

I also can't shake how extremely unfinished the entire cave section looks. Practically a whole 16x16 plate completely exposed, and even more of it inside.

$349 at the minimum for dat classic batman

Ghostbusters headquarters is why I made that assumption , open your wallets Lego bros

It's was mentioned in article it is $269. It's buried in the text near the end.
"Would you pay $269 for an 18 inch high, 22 inch wide LEGO replica of the best Batcave ever?"

Ghostbusters HQ has a lot more bricks. Also, in Batcave set they used plates a lot to make the walls and rocks which saves a lot of plastic and cost.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Must have the minifigs and Batmobile.

Have I ever mentioned how disappointed I am that Batgirl is not included? Better not be a hard to get exclusive.

Ghostmind said there was a likelihood of a 60s series though didnt he, and there's the weird Mr Freeze one-off too?

I'm hoping there'll be a Joker/Catwoman et al figure in those upcoming sets but with sets having shorter and shorter lifespans it's hard to predict what figs will reappear and what wont. Strange if so the Batmobile is here and not part of that theme- not sure what else they could release for 60s Batman?

Think i'm passing on the Batcave initially but I suspect i'll Bricklink some of the villains just in case.

Fowler

The Batman is neat I guess, the set is not that good IMO. Joker.. man they really kept that mustache? ..
Of course it is very close to the original, but I still think this is rubbish.

I don't know, I think the Joker mustache is hilarious. Funny little detail that fans might appreciate. (Having said that, I am not a classic Batman fan, so...)

Also, I added the price/piece count to that post.

Fowler

According to the video, printed wallpaper, printed Bat-logo on the helicopter canopy, and printed hubcaps for the Batmobile. Everything else though looked like stickers.

The Modular Bank was 2,380 pieces for $170.

The Bat Cave is 2,526 pieces for $270.

A 146 piece difference for $100 more? Has Lego been taking notes from Games Workshop or something? That's absolute bullshit. Hard pass.

The batmobile and figures are amazing. The rest is fair at best IMO.

A 146 piece difference for $100 more? Has Lego been taking notes from Games Workshop or something? That's absolute bullshit. Hard pass.

It seems like Lego has been pushing the envelope when it comes to license set pricing. A few TFA sets were about $20 more than they should be when it comes to piece count

Ryuuroden

Some of the price is larger number of bigger pieces I would assume. The more plastic in it the higher the cost and it's actually quite interesting how the costs scale. Certain colors also cost more than other colors for exact same bricks. You also have licencing for each figure probably, not just the show itself as people get paid for when their likeness is used as opposed to fictional characters, these are based on actors. Plus obviously show licensing and a calculation on how many sets need to be sold to what price in order to make a profit.

One of those 16x16 plates costs like $3 on the B&P store. There's not going to be an average of $0.1 per brick with a bunch of those (and printed pieces, uncommon colours*, licensed figures, etc etc). Why do people always blindly equate parts count with cost?

* If you look at B&P, some parts costs more just because of colour. Probably because the raw materials are more expensive, or they make fewer of those so it's less cost efficient to turn the machines over to that production (clean out the molds and start adding other colours). That's probably partly why Rey's Speeder is overpriced for what you get - it's almost entirely dark red.

Is that a bunch of 1x4 bricks with prints, or a HUGE case of stickers across multiple parts for the wallpaper?

I also can't shake how extremely unfinished the entire cave section looks. Practically a whole 16x16 plate completely exposed, and even more of it inside.

At work we're all pretty much in agreement that it looks like garbage. There are some really nice parts, like the Wayne Manor room, Batmobile, and building exterior for climbing, but damn. I can understand if they were attempting a "rocky" look without jacking up the piece count and price but it looks really really bad IMO. It either should have been way cheaper or included way more bricks to flesh it out more.

The Brick Bank comparison is eye opening but you have to consider that this is a licensed set with nine brand-new minifigs prints. The fact that you get 2,100+ pieces more for $70 in the Ghostbusters HQ, another licensed set, is to me a better comparison and that much more damning that this set is grotesquely overpriced.

Risible

It seems like Lego has been pushing the envelope when it comes to license set pricing. A few TFA sets were about $20 more than they should be when it comes to piece count

Yeah, it worries me. Lego prices were bad enough already. Then I see sets like Battle at Takodana at 400 pices/$60. I mean come on, that's like a 50% increase in price per piece FFS.

ghostmind

Damn, looks like I missed the announcement. Heard there might be a reveal this morning, but couldn't confirm.

Guess I'll do up one of my OT posts and have a copy here...

TheFuzz

As a lifelong Batman fan, hard pass for me as well. It's a collection of smaller builds and I'm not really a fan of throwing down that much for them. Leaning towards Ghostbusters HQ.

Ghostmind said there was a likelihood of a 60s series though didnt he, and there's the weird Mr Freeze one-off too?

I'm hoping there'll be a Joker/Catwoman et al figure in those upcoming sets but with sets having shorter and shorter lifespans it's hard to predict what figs will reappear and what wont. Strange if so the Batmobile is here and not part of that theme- not sure what else they could release for 60s Batman?

Think i'm passing on the Batcave initially but I suspect i'll Bricklink some of the villains just in case.

I forgot about Mr. Freeze omission. I'm focused on the more important omission. :)
I trust Ghostmind, but outside of all the things in that set I'm hard pressed to see what else they could make for another Batman 60's set.

Fighting crime isn't cheap!

Yeah, it worries me. Lego prices were bad enough already. Then I see sets like Battle at Takodana at 400 pices/$60. I mean come on, that's like a 50% increase in price per piece FFS.
Its pretty shitty but luckily my favorite stuff is the creator and ideas sets so hopefully what I get won't be affected for a while

ghostmind

tyQC2LG.jpg

76052 Batman™ Classic TV Series – Batcave
Ages 14+. 2,526 pieces.
US $269.99 – CA $329.99 – DE 249.99€ – UK £229.99 – DK 2499.00 DKK
Available March 1st (February 17th for LEGO VIPs).

Drive the villains out from Batman’s Batcave!
Help Batman™ and Robin™ to drive the villain intruders from the Batcave, featuring a Bat Lab with Batcomputer, plus the Batmobile with stud shooters, Batcopter with flick missiles and the Batcycle. This special model, based on the classic 1960s TV show, also has a Wayne Manor section with an exterior wall to climb on and Bruce Wayne’s study featuring the iconic Batphone and a false bookcase that slides open to reveal the secret entrance to the Batcave. Before spiraling down the Batpoles into the Batcave, change identity from Bruce Wayne™ and Dick Grayson™ into Batman and Robin (separate minifigures included).

• Includes 9 minifigures: Batman™, Robin™, Bruce Wayne™, Dick Grayson™, Alfred Pennyworth™, The Joker™, Catwoman™, The Riddler™ and The Penguin™.
• This LEGO® model of the Batcave as seen in the classic 1960s TV series features 2 Batpoles for Batman™ and Robin™ to slide down, a selection of Bat-gadgets, helipad, plus a Batmobile and Batcopter.
• The Wayne Manor section of the model features Bruce Wayne’s study with the iconic Batphone, a hinged Shakespeare bust with secret button underneath, sliding false bookcase to access the Batpoles, and assorted elements including decorated wallpaper bricks, wall lamps, framed portraits, a framed fish and trophies. It also includes an exterior wall for climbing, with an opening roof for easy access to the Batpoles and an aerial element.
• The Batcave incorporates a hi-tech, 2-floor Bat Lab with Batcomputer element and a variety of detachable accessory elements, including a lie detector machine, table, chest of drawers, Bat-gadgets and test tubes with translucent elements. Also includes the iconic Batcave entrance for the Batmobile and a helipad for the Batcopter.
• The Batmobile features a dual cockpit with iconic Batphone, 2 stud shooters, an opening trunk, dual exhaust and sign stickers.
• The Batcopter has an opening cockpit for a minifigure, bat-inspired wings with 2 flick missiles, spinning rotors and a spinning propeller. A villain minifigure can grab onto the back of the Batcopter for more aerial battle action.
• The Batcycle features a driver’s seat for Batman™, translucent headlight element and a sidecar for Robin™.
• Batcave measures over 18” (46cm) high, 22” (56cm) wide and 7” (20cm) deep.
• Batmobile measures over 2” (6cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.
• Batcopter measures over 2” (7cm) high, 8” (22cm) long and 7” (19cm) wide.
• Batcycle measures over 1” (4cm) high, 3” (8cm) long and 1” (4cm) wide.

Designer Video:

QuuCUwH.jpg

4zd1i4K.jpg

H8oTaeH.jpg

JPLqk4e.jpg
z8hdSAo.jpg

YKyZ9Uq.jpg

KPlf5Ij.jpg

v345eIC.jpg

q8veH2w.jpg

wujIPdn.jpg

owk93oN.jpg

XPIy2FR.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like it. Yeah, it could be better, but that doesn't mean I'm not a fan still.
Not 100% sure I'll buy it, but it's likely that I will at some point. If it sells as badly as the consensus here might suggest, there will probably be a nice promotion at some point. Probably not a discount, but maybe something like the Temple of Airjitzu where you buy the set and get another set free.

Edit: Just watched the video.
Oi. All those stickers are a pretty big turn-off...
But that wallpaper printed piece is awesome. I hope that those are treated as new pieces rather than just new prints, in the sense that they start turning up in other sets as well. I really like how that looks. The way they were explaining how they work sort of gave me the sense that the printed design was here to stay, but that's just a gut feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom