• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My LEGO shop had Witch King Battle for $8. Picked it up and received the Nexo Knights starter kit. Will dive into the game tomorrow with my son. We just discovered Transformers: Robots in Disguise so I'm not sure I should even bother. ;)

Big Brett

I'm in between jobs but my Lego craving that has been inside me for years was satiated this Christmas. The depression of not being able to buy every Star Wars set available is really rough.

Ponn

Banned
I'm in between jobs but my Lego craving that has been inside me for years was satiated this Christmas. The depression of not being able to buy every Star Wars set available is really rough.

Do you have a Lego Store nearby that is hiring part time at least? That may or may not be a good thing.

Hey am I imagining things or did someone mention a rumor of a new creator lighthouse set coming?

Osahi

Picked up my Kylo Ren and rey constractions at the post office today (the mailman failed to ring the bell and just dumped a 'not at home' note in the mailbox, while I was home all day -_-). Will built Rey later today, and Kylo probably tomorrow. Opened the box of Rey allready, and that headpiece is awesomely sculpted!

ghostmind

Black Panther:

K0KNAq2.png

Osahi

Rey was actually a quick and fun build! Didn't really like constraction stuff (didn't enjoy building vader for instance), but thanks to the built un mechanism this was actually interesting to do. Figure looks great too (as far as humans go) thanks to the geat head and the cloth piece that covers most of the otherwise jarring joints.

Too bad
there is no lightsaber. If the Fin figure wasn't as terrible looking as it is, i would probably buy one and swap the saber out.

Ponn

Banned
Hmmm been knocking down my backlog but now I realize I bought quite a few seasonal sets that I really don't feel like building anymore. May sell them off so I can get some sets I actually want.

Ok thanks, this thread moves so fast. I've been going back and forth on getting the Scooby Doo lighthouse to complete my collection or not but really wanted a lighthouse. I'm going to hold off and see what this set looks like then.

edit: looks like amazon has Wall-E on sale for $46. Really good price.

Dang. Back up to $58. Would've bought another at that price.

Ponn

Banned
My local TRU had the hulk polybags, so I grabbed 3. One to open, one to keep, and one to trade!

I just don't like those silly looking pants on him. I have my keychain hulk mini fig and that gets the job done.

Hmmm been knocking down my backlog but now I realize I bought quite a few seasonal sets that I really don't feel like building anymore. May sell them off so I can get some sets I actually want.

Those shoot up in price though and might be hard to replace later. You may not feel like building them this year but who knows about a couple years from now.

ruxtpin

Banned
So the missus and I are moving from GA to PA. I didn't realize how big my backlog had gotten. No joke, I think I have about $15k worth in unbuilt Lego (Imperial Shuttle, multiple modulars, Sea Cow, City train sets, a ton of Star Wars and superhero sets, and on and on). I buy shit on sale and I'm never home to build it. I might have to open up my own BL store.

This move was precipated by our rental home flooding with raw sewage three times. Most of my built stuff was in large plastic storage bins that didn't get touched, but some repair guys smashed up my Super Star Destroyer box. I've had a fun time explaining this on my rental insurance claim (in addition to various other things like a desk, shoes, towels, blankets, etc).

Koren

Do you think the current lambda shuttle (75094) will be retired soon?

I still regret I missed the UCS one a couple years ago, and I'm not really expecting another lambda UCS, so this may be my best bet for a lambda, but I can't convince myself to jump in...

And what about the Scoobydoo sets shelf life?

No joke, I think I have about $15k worth in unbuilt Lego
That's impressive... Close to 200 sets?

Black Panther:

K0KNAq2.png

I have mixed feelings on how they accomplished the ears. Decent minifig, but face is a bit busy.

While I'm sure the printing is close to the movie design, I'm hoping for a future minifig closer to comic books that is more plain with more subtle colored printing like they do for black batsuits.

Side note: I wonder what someone would think of my search history. Search: black muscle torso
LEGO

boltz

So the missus and I are moving from GA to PA. I didn't realize how big my backlog had gotten. No joke, I think I have about $15k worth in unbuilt Lego (Imperial Shuttle, multiple modulars, Sea Cow, City train sets, a ton of Star Wars and superhero sets, and on and on). I buy shit on sale and I'm never home to build it. I might have to open up my own BL store.

This move was precipated by our rental home flooding with raw sewage three times. Most of my built stuff was in large plastic storage bins that didn't get touched, but some repair guys smashed up my Super Star Destroyer box. I've had a fun time explaining this on my rental insurance claim (in addition to various other things like a desk, shoes, towels, blankets, etc).

Good for you that your Lego stuff was untouched by the flooding. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if water or fire destroyed my Lego stuff. I have a good amount still in cardboard shipping boxes that I need to get into plastic bins to mitigate any potential water damage.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm sad that they aren't giving us a better black panther, but i still want him.

Much like Captain America, he deserves a custom helm of some kind. The scull cap piece works for darth maul, I feel it works less here.

The example I always like to look back on is The Flash. They could have easily just made this in print like Cap but THANKFULLY they went the little extra and gave us a nice helmet piece:

221970492248_1.jpg

I want to see them do more of this.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
How many more superhero sets do you think will be released this year?

I know we have the 3 Civil War sets and the 66 Batcave, so that's 4.

Will Doctor Strange get one (like Ant-Man) or two?

Will Suicide Squad get a set? Probably called "The Squad" like in the Lego Batman 3 game.

Black Panther is ugly as all hell. Looks like the throwaway badguys you get with regular superhero sets (the aliens in Guardians or Avengers, for example).

3N16MA

Banned

I still regret I missed the UCS one a couple years ago, and I'm not really expecting another lambda UCS, so this may be my best bet for a lambda, but I can't convince myself to jump in...

And what about the Scoobydoo sets shelf life?

That's impressive... Close to 200 sets?

The SW summer 2014 sets were retired before the end of 2015. 75094 is a summer 2015 set so I would think it still has some time on the shelf. That being said there is the upcoming summer 2016, Rogue One, and Episode VIII sets that have to be released in less than a 1 year span. There needs to be room on the shelf and the summer 2015 sets won't last through this year.

I would try to find it on sale and pick it up if you really want it.

wetwired

I think I'm done with marvel minifigs, I got into them around avengers and picked up all the new avengers for a ikea frame for AoU but it's getting ridiculous now. I'll just stick with DC and maybe pick up the Spiderman variants.

I just ordered Battle of Takodana and Resistance Troop Transport...what have I done

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

You should, it's one hell of a set. Marvelous to look at, totally swooshable and so sturdy. Fun build as well and great minifigs. One of the best Star Wars ships in years.

Rootbeer

Banned
I think I'm done with marvel minifigs, I got into them around avengers and picked up all the new avengers for a ikea frame for AoU but it's getting ridiculous now. I'll just stick with DC and maybe pick up the Spiderman variants.

I just ordered Battle of Takodana and Resistance Troop Transport...what have I done

I'm trying to keep Star Wars at #1 priority myself, and both of these sets have some nice strengths. Expensive though.

The leaked wave of sets coming up looks RIDICULOUS though. Star Wars continues to be my favorite theme.

I'm still going to buckle for that Black Panther set, even if the minifig is weak in my eyes.

I've built and compared the Firehouse HQ and the Brick Bank, and this is my verdict:

http://www.beardednerd.se/the-ghostbusters-firehouse-hq-75827-vs-the-brick-bank-10251/

TL;DR: The GB HQ is fantastic and a MUST GET IMMEDIATELY for anyone who's into both Ghostbusters and Lego, or just someone really into either. As one of the biggest sets ever, it's just great. The Brick Bank meanwhile is Jamie's weakest and on the lower half of the modular line overall. I hate to use the word "disappointing" since it almost always depends on unreasonable expectations, but with Jamie you expect excellence if not perfection.

Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

Lego Brick Bank by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

Now to place them in my layout and add figures all over!

ghostmind

How many more superhero sets do you think will be released this year?

I know we have the 3 Civil War sets and the 66 Batcave, so that's 4.

Will Doctor Strange get one (like Ant-Man) or two?

Will Suicide Squad get a set? Probably called "The Squad" like in the Lego Batman 3 game.

75057 Web Warriors Bridge Battle
76058 Ghost Rider Team Up
76059 Doc Ock's Tentacle Trap
76067 Captain America: Civil War 4th set
????? Doctor Strange set

76053 Gotham City Cycle Chase
76054 Scarecrow Fearful Harvest
76055 Killer Croc: Havoc in the Sewer

Plus the Mighty Micros sets, and polybags for Spider-Man vs Symbiote, CA: CW, Classic Mr. Freeze, and probably more!

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks SiegfriedFM... i've been super close to pulling the trigger on the GBFH for weeks now. I'm about 95% sure I'm buying it, just gotta figure out the best timing. Still gunning for double VIP.

ghostmind

I've built and compared the Firehouse HQ and the Brick Bank, and this is my verdict:

http://www.beardednerd.se/the-ghostbusters-firehouse-hq-75827-vs-the-brick-bank-10251/

TL;DR: The GB HQ is fantastic and a MUST GET IMMEDIATELY for anyone who's into both Ghostbusters and Lego, or just someone really into either. As one of the biggest sets ever, it's just great. The Brick Bank meanwhile is Jamie's weakest and on the lower half of the modular line overall. I hate to use the word "disappointing" since it almost always depends on unreasonable expectations, but with Jamie you expect excellence if not perfection.

Thanks for the review/comparison - maybe it's time for Marcos Bessa to design a modular?

I finished my Brick Bank last night. It has some interesting micro builds with the washing machines and the chandelier. It does seem kinda cramped, though. I guess that is a symptom of being on a corner lot piece.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
75057 Web Warriors Bridge Battle
76058 Ghost Rider Team Up
76059 Doc Ock's Tentacle Trap
76067 Captain America: Civil War 4th set
????? Doctor Strange set

76053 Gotham City Cycle Chase
76054 Scarecrow Fearful Harvest
76055 Killer Croc: Havoc in the Sewer

Plus the Mighty Micros sets, and polybags for Spider-Man vs Symbiote, CA: CW, Classic Mr. Freeze, and probably more!
Fffffffffffffffuuuuuu... This is never gonna end, is it?

I haven't picked up any of the modulars yet, but after everyone's enthusiasm about them here I'm considering starting.

Which of the modulars still available are most likely to disappear first?

3N16MA

Banned
I haven't picked up any of the modulars yet, but after everyone's enthusiasm about them here I'm considering starting.

Which of the modulars still available are most likely to disappear first?

Pet Shop should be the first to go. You should pick up Pet Shop and Palace Cinema this year to be sure.

This technique is probably known but I just figured it out today: you can join 2 plates together and have studs on both sides by using these hinges:

5131-1.jpg

the flat 1x2's in the 3rd row

and simply flipping one of them upside down. Attach a bunch to the underside of one plate and then connect the other plate. Useful for ship wings that can be viewed from all angles, like what I built today:

The underside of the wings are exactly the same. Needed it that way because the cockpit rotates freely.

Only downside is that the plates are pretty thick when joined, so you're kind of limited in how small you can make double-sided wings without them looking too fat.

TheFuzz

Built the King's Mech tonight.

Well, LegoGAF, you win. Great build, great parts. I want moar.

I usually don't care at all for Lego's "action" themes but I really liked it.

TheFuzz

Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

Lego Brick Bank by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

I'm still one of the lone few enjoying the BB more than the DO, so your review is somewhat disappointing in that regard.

However, I intend on grabbing the HQ so knowing its even better has me really excited.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just another reminder guys since the pre-order window is closing pretty soon.

If you want the exclusive iron man pre-order bonus with the new LEGO Marvel game, order before 1/26.

It has some really nice printing and is sure to be highly sought in the aftermarket.

You can get it pretty cheap, as the 3DS and Vita versions are only 29.99. Other versions range from 49.99 to 59.99

LegoAvengers_minifig_bonusLG.jpg

wetwired

Just another reminder guys since the pre-order window is closing pretty soon.

If you want the exclusive iron man pre-order bonus with the new LEGO Marvel game, order before 1/26.

It has some really nice printing and is sure to be highly sought in the aftermarket.

You can get it pretty cheap, as the 3DS and Vita versions are only 29.99. Other versions range from 49.99 to 59.99

LegoAvengers_minifig_bonusLG.jpg

I'll probably just bricklink him, I've gone off the LEGO games lately.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'll probably just bricklink him, I've gone off the LEGO games lately.
Okay! But worth noting, for those that do play the games, they have greatly improved the open world gameplay in the handheld versions as of this title. It's now very close to console level, aside from the scaled down visuals to what you'd expect.

Is there a way to still preorder games and get the bonus if you want the digital version? Blergh I wanna be all digital on my PS4 (with the exception of having to buy a disc for Dimensions starter pack sigh) but do places like GameStop let you preorder like a digital code? Is... that a thing?

Also is that polybag only at GameStop?

ruxtpin

Banned
Is there a way to still preorder games and get the bonus if you want the digital version? Blergh I wanna be all digital on my PS4 (with the exception of having to buy a disc for Dimensions starter pack sigh) but do places like GameStop let you preorder like a digital code? Is... that a thing?

Also is that polybag only at GameStop?

I think so, in the states at least. I hate it cuz I have a BestBuy GCU membership, but when GameStop pulls this I order from them.

wetwired

Yeah being in Australia the preorders are usually only available via EB, and they've been known to get very few allocations.

Between all the new Iron Man and Batman variants I'm looking forward to swapping out some of my knock off minifigs for real ones now that they have more variety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom