• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm done with marvel minifigs, I got into them around avengers and picked up all the new avengers for a ikea frame for AoU but it's getting ridiculous now. I'll just stick with DC and maybe pick up the Spiderman variants.

I just ordered Battle of Takodana and Resistance Troop Transport...what have I done

Good that you are mainly a DC guy. I gotta get both Marvel and DC minifigs which doubles the load.

Don't worry, just stick with New Trilogy Star Wars stuff and you'll be fine. It's only a few sets for each movie.

wetwired

Good that you are mainly a DC guy. I gotta get both Marvel and DC minifigs which doubles the load.

Don't worry, just stick with New Trilogy Star Wars stuff and you'll be fine. It's only a few sets for each movie.

Yeah I'm almost done for TFA, enough to fill a small ikea frame anyway, I'm just waiting on phasma and poe to arrive in the mail, I've got a friend I'm trading some of my spares for Kylo Ren, Hux and a Flametrooper so I'm nearly set, I just need to order another R2D2, technically not a TFA minifig but I felt he'd be missed in a frame.

I'm hoping they bring out a polybag old luke or end movie costume rey at some point.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Captain America: Civil War sets
ld0wVIl.jpg

Is that a giant Ant Man possibly confirming he goes big instead of just tiny in the movie?

WARNING: Images may be offensive to some.

Saw some Lite Brix Peanuts sets on clearance at Walmart. I was about to get the one with Snoopy, Woodstock, and Charlie Brown, but then I realized the Snoopy wasn't a generic one. There are only two sets with Snoopy and neither have a plain Snoopy. That was a deal breaker for me. So disappointed LEGO didn't do any Peanuts CMFs.

On another note, Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were on the shelves. Man, it's confusing that they have 3 lines. I ended up getting the 4 turtles from their Collectors Classic Series line. Box says "metal" which I learned later refers to their shells being metal. That line appears to be based on the 80's cartoon which leads me to the set shown below. I understand LEGO based their sets on the new cartoon, but I really wish they could have done one with the classic Krang robot.

In other LEGO compatible news, Character Building (they held Doctor Who and Scooby Doo building block licenses prior to LEGO) no longer appears to be in the construction block business (besides Peppa the Pig).

Speaking of no longer in the construction block business, is Kre-o done? Only TRU really carried their stuff outside of Transformers themes. Maybe Hasbro will license GI-Joe to Mega Bloks or licence Transformers to LEGO in the future. No chance LEGO would ever do GI Joe.

EDIT: Searching Hasbro/Kre-o website and TRU it doesn't look like there are any new Kre-o stuff coming out.

Is that a giant Ant Man possibly confirming he goes big instead of just tiny in the movie?

I consider it a spoiler. It's not a huge spoiler though (pun intended). I completely expect big Ant-Man in the movie after seeing that set. Marvel probably doesn't care or they would have asked LEGO to not reveal the set. Will probably show him big in future trailers.

This is our Suicide Squad set and i'm ok with that. I'm actually surprised Lego would do anything from that movie anyways. Not quite sure yet if I want a Leto Joker or not.
Has there ever been talk of a baldcap piece?
Because man some figures would really benefit from it(Captain American, Spiderman, Deadshot, etc).

boltz

WARNING: Some images may be offensive to some.

Saw some Lite Brix Peanuts sets on clearance at Walmart. I was about to get the one with Snoopy, Woodstock, and Charlie Brown, but then I realized the Snoopy wasn't a generic one. There are only two sets with Snoopy and neither have a plain Snoopy. That was a deal breaker for me. So disappointed LEGO didn't do any Peanuts CMFs.

On another note, Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were on the shelves. Man, it's confusing that they have 3 lines. I ended up getting the 4 turtles from their Collectors Classic Series line. Box says "metal" which I learned later refers to their shells being metal. That line appears to be based on the 80's cartoon which leads me to the set shown below. I understand LEGO based their sets on the new cartoon, but I really wish they could have done one with the classic Krang robot.

In other LEGO compatible news, Character Building (they held Doctor Who and Scooby Doo building block licenses prior to LEGO) no longer appears to be in the construction block business (besides Peppa the Pig).

Speaking of no longer in the construction block business, is Kre-o done? Only TRU really carried their stuff outside of Transformers themes. Maybe Hasbro will license GI-Joe to Mega Bloks or licence Transformers to LEGO in the future. No chance LEGO would ever do GI Joe.

Yup, I was looking at the ninja turtles stuff at TRU and had to do a few double takes to realize that there were multiple product lines, as the packaging all looked the same.

As for some legit GI Joe or transformers building sets, I would love to see those, even though my wallet won't thank me.

Has there ever been talk of a baldcap piece?
Because man some figures would really benefit from it(Captain American, Spiderman, Deadshot, etc).

Only ones I know about are the ones in CMF series. Not sure it would work without hair. Also, the stud on the head is part of the iconic minifig look. If LEGO really wanted a bald head without a stud, they could make heads without the stud.

Fowler

I consider it a spoiler. It's not a huge spoiler though (pun intended). I completely expect big Ant-Man in the movie after seeing that set. Marvel probably doesn't care or they would have asked LEGO to not reveal the set. Will probably show him big in future trailers.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that spoiled in the set, but as you said it'll probably be in the next trailer.

In any case Marvel seem focused on keeping a certain other character's appearance secret...

mojiimbo

I haven't picked up any of the modulars yet, but after everyone's enthusiasm about them here I'm considering starting.

Which of the modulars still available are most likely to disappear first?
Pet Shop might be going on indefinite hiatus through LEGO direct in the next couple of days(like Ewok Village is just coming back from)...

wetwired

So I was inspired by the new 60s batcave printed wallpaper 1x4 parts and figured it might be a good idea to do something similar through waller customs. What do you guys think? Below is my very rough first pass, I'd like the lines to be a bit more ornate and clean up the lego flower a bit but that's the rough idea. It could be printed in any colour on any part and I'd likely sell them in bundles of 20x each.

wallpaper.jpg

I forced some lines between the 1x4 bricks in the test above just to show how it might look when printed but I and fairly confident the gaps could be entirely eliminated when printed

I'm not certain how many colours I'd get printed but it could be printed ON just about any colour, dark red, dark blue and dark green I think would be nice, I could print them as gold, silver or just more subtle darker versions of the base colour. Do you guys think there'd be a market for it? and if so what do you think of the rough design and colour ideas?

Osahi

So I was inspired by the new 60s batcave printed wallpaper 1x4 parts and figured it might be a good idea to do something similar through waller customs. What do you guys think? Below is my very rough first pass, I'd like the lines to be a bit more ornate and clean up the lego flower a bit but that's the rough idea. It could be printed in any colour on any part and I'd likely sell them in bundles of 20x each.

wallpaper.jpg

I forced some lines between the 1x4 bricks in the test above just to show how it might look when printed but I and fairly confident the gaps could be entirely eliminated when printed

I'm not certain how many colours I'd get printed but it could be printed ON just about any colour, dark red, dark blue and dark green I think would be nice, I could print them as gold, silver or just more subtle darker versions of the base colour. Do you guys think there'd be a market for it? and if so what do you think of the rough design and colour ideas?

Looks great! I'm not a MOC-builder whatsoever, so I wouldn't order stuff like this. I do hope Lego adapts this wallpaper technique to it's modulars though.

Anyway, built the Kylo constraction too. Very similar build offcourse as Rey, especially with the swinging arm mechanism. I don't really like constraction from a building perspective, but this was quite fun. And boy, does he look great! Especially the helmet piece is ridiculously awesome. Only setback is the lack of a hood with the cape...

I also modded Rey a tiny bit. The turning wheel on the back stood out to hard to me, so I removed the middle section and connected the wheel directly to the axel. I can see why Lego added the middle piece, because now it is harder to turn, but I use it as a display piece anyway, so that's no issue for me. Kylo's turning wheel is way better integrated btw, thanks to the cape.

Pet Shop might be going on indefinite hiatus through LEGO direct in the next couple of days(like Ewok Village is just coming back from)...
Bother. I was hoping to wait for the next double VIP points... I may still roll the dice on that; Amazon has it in stock, and I'll just keep an eye on both (if it disappeared from one, order it from the other ASAP).

Koren

Pet Shop might be going on indefinite hiatus through LEGO direct in the next couple of days
Based on the release date, that would be logical, but with Lego... you never know.

Apparently, Pet Shop is in 2016 catalog, so it it's true, Pet Shop disappearing in january would be a bit strange. Some have been said that two modular would retire at the end of 2016, and pet shop is not one of them. Other that there will not be restocks of Pet Shop. I've seen arguments that Parisian Restaurant could be the next one retiring, and even the Detective office. Go figure...

I went to Toys R Us last night with the intent of spending some cash on Lego and walked out only with the 3 Hulk polybags. What I failed to mention is that my wife walked out with more Creator sets for her own growing collection. She has a 6 set backlog already. I'm so proud of her!

I as going to do some Lego minifig organizing today, but instead I'm going to play more PvZ GW2 beta and hopefully breaking the paints out for some miniature projects I have been meaning to get to.

Maybe I'll help the wife build some of her sets while we watch a movie tonight. Our movie backlog is about 20 deep right now and its not getting any smaller.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So my supervisor at work had never heard of Lego sets. She knew about Lego, but just assumed you just bought bins of it and built your own stuff. With that said, she was always clueless when I'd mention Lego sets and stuff.
So anyways, I brought her one of the Tiger polybags that TRU is selling. She absolutely loved it, so I recommended her those animal Creator sets.
After telling her how those were such good sets, I couldn't resist and bought Rainforest Animals and Park Animals for myself. So excited. Haha

So my supervisor at work had never heard of Lego sets. She knew about Lego, but just assumed you just bought bins of it and built your own stuff. With that said, she was always clueless when I'd mention Lego sets and stuff.
So anyways, I brought her one of the Tiger polybags that TRU is selling. She absolutely loved it, so I recommended her those animal Creator sets.
After telling her how those were such good sets, I couldn't resist and bought Rainforest Animals and Park Animals for myself. So excited. Haha

Yeah there's quite a few people who think that Lego are just those bins of primary colored bricks. I guess it makes sense since that's by far the most iconic thing about Lego. My uncle refused to believe my mini cooper was Lego until I took part of it apart and showed him the Lego bricks. He then said it was the curved pieces that were probably confusing him.

I love UCS sets and modulars but I don't have much display room. I only have the UCS ISD 10030 and Best Star on display but I've built other sets that are now broken down into bins. I just recently started building Kylo Ren's shuttle and boy, there are so many new pieces that I've never seen before. That made me realize that I haven't built a set produced since 2008 (I have a huge backlog). So many new (to me) crazy looking pieces and wonderful building techniques!

Edit: And I have yet to build one modular yet. I've got every one since Fire Brigade in my backlog. I need more display space!

Finally watched Ant Man last night, saw Final Battle today for £15 so had to get it!

Still not seen the new series minifigures in shops

Edit - does final battle come with 3 mini-figures? I've put it away for my son as a present off his sister when she is born in 3 weeks but I presumed it just had 2; Hank Pym in a suit seems odd if based on the movie

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Does anyone know what the website is that shows Lego sales and it queries from TRU, Target, Walmart, Amazon, and possibly other sites, where you can sort by biggest discounts and it tells you if a set is the cheapest it's been, and there's also a section that shows you the most recent Amazon Warehouse Deals? I used to use that site all the time and found it really handy, but I can't for the life of me remember what site it was nor can I find it on Google and it's driving me crazy.

Koren

Out of curiosity... I have to create a support (plates) for quite a large tiling (roughly circular, ~50 studs in diameter). Does somebody know which plate sizes/colors are the most cost-effective (low $/size and available in sufficient numbers)? I'm trying to find the answer on Bricklink, but it's a bit tricky given the number of possibilities...

(I'll show you the result, I promise!)

Does anyone know what the website is that shows Lego sales and it queries from TRU, Target, Walmart, Amazon, and possibly other sites, where you can sort by biggest discounts and it tells you if a set is the cheapest it's been, and there's also a section that shows you the most recent Amazon Warehouse Deals? I used to use that site all the time and found it really handy, but I can't for the life of me remember what site it was nor can I find it on Google and it's driving me crazy.
Can't help you, but if there's an equivalent in Europe (something better than PriceVortex), I'm interested...

Fishlake

I built Infirnox Captures the Queen and Jestro's Evil Mobile yesterday.

What lovely fantasy sets I'm already in love with these villains.

Bigfoot

Out of curiosity... I have to create a support (plates) for quite a large tiling (roughly circular, ~50 studs in diameter). Does somebody know which plate sizes/colors are the most cost-effective (low $/size and available in sufficient numbers)? I'm trying to find the answer on Bricklink, but it's a bit tricky given the number of possibilities...

(I'll show you the result, I promise!).
If you are near a Lego store, they have smaller plates (like 4x6 or 6x8) in various colors. Might be smaller than you are looking for, but it's an option.

boltz

Based on the release date, that would be logical, but with Lego... you never know.

Apparently, Pet Shop is in 2016 catalog, so it it's true, Pet Shop disappearing in january would be a bit strange. Some have been said that two modular would retire at the end of 2016, and pet shop is not one of them. Other that there will not be restocks of Pet Shop. I've seen arguments that Parisian Restaurant could be the next one retiring, and even the Detective office. Go figure...

I can confirm that Pet Shop is in the January 2016 catalog. It's my first catalog, so do these things come out monthly if the month's on the cover?

Koren

If you are near a Lego store, they have smaller plates (like 4x6 or 6x8) in various colors. Might be smaller than you are looking for, but it's an option.
In pick a brick wall? That's actually a really good idea but I don't see them so often in a wall...

But I just discovered WallOfBricks, and apparently there's 4x6 in Levallois-Perret, north-east of Paris. I wish they had informations on the Lego store from Eurodisney, it would be probably easier for me (read: slightly less inconvenient).

I can confirm that Pet Shop is in the January 2016 catalog. It's my first catalog, so do these things come out monthly if the month's on the cover?
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's catalogs for half a year...

Yeah, it's clearly not a big spoiler, or Marvel would have hidden it. I bet we see a glimpse of Giant-Man in a future trailer.

Spidey, on the other hand, they are clearly keeping hidden for the time being.

rokkerkory

i think the SW microfighters may my favorites!

inexpensive and take no time to put together and yet still has enough of the essence

10259786_10153787786663758_7185300414837812158_n.jpg

Tomorrow is the informal release date for all the new stuff in non-Lego stores, so I'll be scouring all possibilities to look for minifigures. I really want a bunch of them, and I need more 3x4 plates to finish my last street section.

Bigfoot

In pick a brick wall? That's actually a really good idea but I don't see them so often
Yeah sorry, forgot to say in the Pick a Brick wall! My son filled a cup last time and we stuck a bunch of red, blue and one other color that I can't remember of plates. I think each was a different size. We stuck like 6 of each together and put them in the cup then filled around them.

Koren

Yeah sorry, forgot to say in the Pick a Brick wall! My son filled a cup last time and we stuck a bunch of red, blue and one other color that I can't remember of plates. I think each was a different size. We stuck like 6 of each together and put them in the cup then filled around them.
I'm not overly fond of those walls, because I always feel bad for filling the cup as much as I can (and I'm not even stacking them, could be worse) but that's indeed a great idea.

Now, if they sold those based on the weught, updated the wall regularly and have more interesting bricks (especially bricks useful to build walls), I could see myself spending even more.

I'm not overly fond of those walls, because I always feel bad for filling the cup as much as I can (and I'm not even stacking them, could be worse) but that's indeed a great idea.

Now, if they sold those based on the weught, updated the wall regularly and have more interesting bricks (especially bricks useful to build walls), I could see myself spending even more.

As long as the workers don't say anything it's fine. They typically encourage it. Only occasion someone said anything was at Downtown Disney in California and only 1 time of the dozens of times I've been there. The person said the lid should close fully to avoid spilling stuff. So even the one time it wasn't due to stacking and packing, it was mainly due to spillages that they probably have at that store due to the huge traffic and kids they get.

I only did it once but the employees congratulated me on fitting so much in the cup. They seemed genuinely happy about it. Of course I ended up with a lot of small pieces I still haven't used and it probably took me an hour. Most of the cups I see are filled by little kids who leave tons of space, so overall I'm sure LEGO makes a lot on those walls.

The person said the lid should close fully to avoid spilling stuff. So even the one time it wasn't due to stacking and packing, it was mainly due to spillages that they probably have at that store due to the huge traffic and kids they get.
The workers at the Honolulu store offered to tape the lid for me since it didn't quite close.

Koren

As long as the workers don't say anything it's fine. They typically encourage it. Only occasion someone said anything was at Downtown Disney in California and only 1 time of the dozens of times I've been there. The person said the lid should close fully to avoid spilling stuff. So even the one time it wasn't due to stacking and packing, it was mainly due to spillages that they probably have at that store due to the huge traffic and kids they get.
I know... It still feels cheap when doing this for no real reason (and stupid for not doing it)

And indeed, people in store are often really nice. I love how one explained me how I could motorize Wall-E, they're often actual AFOL.

kendrid

Banned

There is one in Schaumburg IL that is by weight. There are actually two Lego stores in Schaumburg and the one in the mall is a normal 'fill the cup' store.

By weight costs way more money. We once filled a cup like we would at the mall and it was like $20 vs $12 at the mall (I think it was $12, it was a while ago).

TheFuzz

Pssh. I don't. I jammed over 220 pieces in a small cup on Friday... Mostly 1x2 and 1x4 bricks, all stacked. Also a ton of clear 1x2. No regrets.

iosefe

I love the pick a brick wall

In the last assortment, I made a tie fighter and a black and white (mostly black) Recognizer while thevstore was dead

I only did it once but the employees congratulated me on fitting so much in the cup. They seemed genuinely happy about it. Of course I ended up with a lot of small pieces I still haven't used and it probably took me an hour. Most of the cups I see are filled by little kids who leave tons of space, so overall I'm sure LEGO makes a lot on those walls.

The workers at the Honolulu store offered to tape the lid for me since it didn't quite close.

Yes, they always tape it for me. I even put stuff in the lid top stud. You can fit 4 2x4 bricks or equivalent in there easily. It's also time vs money. I could easily spend close to an hour stacking items, but I only do it when it makes sense. 1x2 bricks I stopped stacking because it takes a long time for about 20-30% increase in bricks. I just dump 1x2 bricks now and fill it in with some 1x1 plates intermittently to get some "extra" pieces.

Ponn

Banned
Which shuttle and falcon?

Boy, I hope they aren't the crappy UCS versions of either of them, that would totally suck. Those UCS versions were so crappy and are worthless. If they are the UCS versions I will save you some trouble and take them off your hands for $100, i'm feeling generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom