• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltz

Having a stack of extra stickers to ship out is cheaper than putting an extra copy in every set. Also, having stickers at all in big sets is simply because they sell less so there's less benefits to making a new printed part. Also, Mega Bloks saves money by having shitty, shitty plastic quality and that horrible marbled look overall.

Don't want to start a whole debate about the two brands, but as someone who collects both Lego and MB sets, I will say that Lego does still have the parts quality edge, but the gap between the two is a lot smaller than what many people seem to think (at least for their more recent stuff, I can't attest to their older stuff). As for the marbling, I think it fits in pretty well for dark military vehicles as it add to the camo look.

for some pieces though I think it's necessary as I'm sure setting up a print to come out correctly for every piece shape can be very very complicated and expensive. I can understand prints for pieces that are commonly printed on like the flat 1x2 and the sloped 2x4 to not have problems since their demand for prints is common, but odd technic pieces, large curved domes, and others that don't ever have prints probably have their own problems.

Yes megablocks and etc have printed on all pieces, but I feel like Lego has their quality standards to run by, and stickers in the end make more sense.

some prints though I do agree don't make sense why they are not printed like 1x2 slopes and others.

I've seen enough curved, printed bricks/parts to know that it is technical feasible, so it comes down to cost. Lego made over $1 billion in net profit in 2014, so they have room to spare in terms of finance, but I don't think many people are going to boycott Legos because they keep using stickers, so they can get away with it.

Not a fan of stickers, but they do give me the option not to apply them which makes reusing parts for Mocs easier.

Fair point, but I only do minor MOC'ing, so that doesn't help me :p

I present to you: the Lego Balrog!

Reverse engineered by sight from Lego Dimensions in LDD, and then fixed by substituting parts that actually work. The final result is fairly stable, pretty damn big and completely awesome!

The Lego Balrog by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

The Lego Balrog by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

Also, since I'm sure some of you will want to make your own, I've included the LDD files and a template for the wing extensions in my blog post:

http://www.beardednerd.se/fixing-the-official-lego-lord-of-the-rings-balrog/

Looks great! It's a little tough to see the eyes since the head is all black, so I keep seeing the bottom end of the flame on top of his head as his eye!

And speaking of quality, how well do Legos stand up to direct sunlight? I've got a couple of sets in front of a window (no other shelf space) that gets an ample of amount of sunlight throughout the day. Will those sets hold up?

Ugh, I put together my Poe's X-Wing today and it is missing 1 piece. I've double checked all the bags and can't find it. Can I get one from LEGO or do I have to Bricklink it?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ugh, I put together my Poe's X-Wing today and it is missing 1 piece. I've double checked all the bags and can't find it. Can I get one from LEGO or do I have to Bricklink it?

Lego is super-cool about replacing parts. Send an EMail through their customer service links on the website. They'll get you what you need without any fuss.

Bigfoot

Lego is super-cool about replacing parts. Send an EMail through their customer service links on the website. They'll get you what you need without any fuss.
Don't even need to send an email. They have an online site for missing pieces. I had a couple pieces missing in two sets and used it. They sent the parts for free pretty quickly.

Gazunta

Do you guys have any recommendations for places that make custom bricks?

Like, I'd like to get a pile of 2x4 bricks with a company logo printed on the side.

Are there places that can do this cheaply?

wetwired

Do you guys have any recommendations for places that make custom bricks?

Like, I'd like to get a pile of 2x4 bricks with a company logo printed on the side.

Are there places that can do this cheaply?

I do it in bulk for minifigs, depends on your quantity there's 2 different ways you can do it. UV printing or pad printing. pad is good for bulk (200+) and UV is better for lower numbers. Either way I get mine done by someone in Adelaide and can put you in touch with them

teeny

Does anyone know where (if at all possible) I can get my hands on clean, high-ish resolution renders of the Lego Dimensions characters? Specifically, the renders for the Portal 2 and Doctor Who level packs. Google has not turned up much yet....

EDIT: Specifically, the renders and artwork of the instructions but not scanned.

valkyre

Guys I keep my Lego collection in a room that sunlight doesnt hit. The room has the windows open so daylight comes in, but it is not direct sunlight.

Am I safe from discoloring issues or should I just cover them up with a fabric or something?

I have been eye-balling the Spaceport for a while now and was wondering if it is fun to built. The price per piece ratio is a little bit out of whack, but I understand that there are a lot of large pieces (from the Points of Articulation podcast).

Also, are there a lot of stickers?

lego-city-space-port-60080-88571-0-1433938344000.jpg

Guys I keep my Lego collection in a room that sunlight doesnt hit. The room has the windows open so daylight comes in, but it is not direct sunlight.

Am I safe from discoloring issues or should I just cover them up with a fabric or something?

My guess is you are safe. Nobody ever says to wear sunscreen inside during the day. I only worry about direct sunlight and extreme heat.

I think it would be hilarious if they did a LEGO Friends movie like The LEGO Movie where it's simulated stop motion. LEGO Minidolls have an amazing 4 points of articulation. Thinking about it, that's the same amount of articulation LEGO big figs have.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Best Buy is doing a 50% sale on LEGO Dimensions fun packs (only the fun packs). So $7.50 for a set and the sale includes the ones that came out today.

Best Buy is doing a 50% sale on LEGO Dimensions fun packs (only the fun packs). So $7.50 for a set and the sale includes the ones that came out today.

Thanks for posting this. Do the figures come off the base? I don't play video games but my wife would love a Lego Cyberman figure to go with her Dr Who set.

Markus

Effect of UV Radiation on Plastics:

UV energy absorbed by plastics can excite photons, which then create free radicals. While some plastics cannot absorb UV radiation, catalystic residues and other impurities will often act as receptors that lead to degradation. Small amounts of these impurities are sufficient for the degradation to occur, which in the case of Polycarbonate will initiate color instability. In the presence of oxygen the free radicals form oxygen hydroperoxides will lead to a brittle structure. This process is often called photo-oxidation. As an example, a polyvinyl chloride (PVC), window frame exposed to sunlight undergoes discoloration, loss of impact strength, chalking, and a reduction in tensile properties in addition to other chemical changes.

Common synthetic polymers, in addition to PVC, which may be affected by UV include:
Polypropylene
Polyolefin
Poly methyl methacrylate (PMMA)
Polyethylene
Aramid Fibers such as Kevlar®
POM (Acetal)
Polycarbonate
ABS
Polystyrene
PA6/6

UV-A rays cause more serious long-term damage. They penetrate and ruin your carpets, fabrics, window treatments, wall coverings, and fine wood furnishings.

UV-B rays quickly bleach and burn surface colors.

Regular clear glass windows block only about 25% of UVA and most of the UVB radiation.

Curtains can be more or less protective, depending on thickness, color, fabric type and many other factors.

Tinted and reflective glass will block a lot of visible light, reduce UVA by 50 to 75% while still blocking most of the UVB.

Low-E (low-emissivity) glass acts similar to regular clear glass unless specifically treated with UV reducing properties.

There are some specialty glass available specifically designed to block UV light, but are generally only used in commercial structures (laminated glass panes and specially coated UV-blocking panes), blocking 80 to 99% of UVA and all UVB.

You can reduce fading by applying a clear window film that filtres UVA and UVB. I'd recommend going with a product from an established manufacturer such as 3M ( http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/ )

I only did a quick search for whats available easily online (i.e. Amazon) and here's one I found that may be OK to use (I haven't researched the company at all and can't say anything about the quality of this product). You can get a 36-inch x 15-foot roll for about US$30. The company claims that 99% of all UV light can be blocked with their product.

http://www.amazon.com/Gila-LES361-Control-Residential-Platinum/dp/B000KKM8EG/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453226374&sr=1-1&keywords=uv+film+3m

My guess is you are safe. Nobody ever says to wear sunscreen inside during the day. I only worry about direct sunlight and extreme heat.

Hate to tell you that you are not safe, you only mitigated the effects. UV rays can bounce off many objects and enter you home indirectly. Though they may not be as strong as being outside on hot sunny day, they will still cause long term damage.

So, if you plan on having your sets on display for many years, you're still at risk.

On a side note, one of my best friend's father was instrumental in developing the UV Index we all see on local weather reports around the world while working for Environment Canada in the 80's and 90's.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Ok... that was not what I expected.

CLHKVcJ.jpg

Oh, and Spider-Man 2099 will be in the Web Warriors set.
Fuck me that's a nice polybag!

There's a fourth Civil War set this year too isn't there- could there be a possibility of an MCU Spidey fig in that? Disney sure have kept his appearance and role in Civil War pretty secretive from the merchandising so far, it might be possible?

I have been eye-balling the Spaceport for a while now and was wondering if it is fun to built. The price per piece ratio is a little bit out of whack, but I understand that there are a lot of large pieces (from the Points of Articulation podcast).

It's a very fun build in my opinion, there is a small sheet of stickers but pretty much just what you can see from the box. There are 6 logo stickers on the shuttle.

I keep all my lego on display in my blackout media room. A couple of times a year I move all my modulars out to the dining room table where my daughters play with them.

I would never display them on something like, say, a windowsill in direct sunlight. Lego would be faded in 6 months, possibly sooner.

ghostmind

Fuck me that's a nice polybag!

There's a fourth Civil War set this year too isn't there- could there be a possibility of an MCU Spidey fig in that? Disney sure have kept his appearance and role in Civil War pretty secretive from the merchandising so far, it might be possible?

That's the belief on why there will be a 4th set, and why it is being held back.

Ok... that was not what I expected.

CLHKVcJ.jpg

Oh, and Spider-Man 2099 will be in the Web Warriors set.

Not feeling it, but I'd like to get a couple as it has a lot of nice parts. A bit surprised some heads aren't on flick fire missiles for play factor. :)

LEGO is really delivering on Spider-Man variants after years of nothing. Now just need Spider-Ham. I'll settle for Spider-Girl and/or Gwen Spider-Man though.

NysGAF

You're right that there are a lot of big pieces, which makes the build go a little faster than I'd hoped. But the end result is great to look at and a lot of fun to play with.

first part of my Amazon order came today, 3 Cyberman Fun Packs and the Doc Brown Fun Pack.

Really wish there were some instructions for this. You'd think after people complained and Lego started putting instructions online they would have thought to like, maybe put the instructions out the day the sets released. I'm trying to eyeball the Dalek and I just suck at it.

Cyberman figure is amazing though. 3 isn't enough I need a ton of these things. Good thing they're 50% off in so many places WAHAHAHA

Edit: Got the Dalek built. Probably did it wrong but it looks like the one on the box so I guess that's all that really matters.

ghostmind

The Ninjago 2016 2H sets will be focussed on the ninja vs. a "greatest hits" list of their previous adversaries, so expect to see sets with Skullkins, Serpentine, Stone Army, Nindroids, etc.

I'm wondering if this is working towards a franchise reboot for the upcoming movie.

The Ninjago 2016 2H sets will be focussed on the ninja vs. a "greatest hits" list of their previous adversaries, so expect to see sets with Skullkins, Serpentine, Stone Army, Nindroids, etc.

I'm wondering if this is working towards a franchise reboot for the upcoming movie.

YES

Finally get to pick up some of those Skullkins I missed out on. Stone Army too. I've always hated the snake and cyber baddies but the skeletons and spooky stone guys were legit.

kr2t0s

first part of my Amazon order came today, 3 Cyberman Fun Packs and the Doc Brown Fun Pack.

Really wish there were some instructions for this. You'd think after people complained and Lego started putting instructions online they would have thought to like, maybe put the instructions out the day the sets released. I'm trying to eyeball the Dalek and I just suck at it.

Edit: Got the Dalek built. Probably did it wrong but it looks like the one on the box so I guess that's all that really matters.

Not sure about day 1 sets but all the other Lego dimension packs have instructions that you can find online.

Cruzito

Neo Member
Help...

Just built the new Batmobile from 76045 (Kryptonite Interception) and the pins for the canopy are extremely tight!!
They squeak and lifting the lid removed the whole back brick built support! Not happy.
Does anyone know how to "fix" the pins from squeaking and possibly loosen them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom