• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about double VIP. Might go in on the Batcave if they have a damaged one for extra points. Otherwise just the Tie Fighter for me.

And whatever my kids talk me into.

ghostmind

The Quinjet family:

HDMR5Xd.jpg

The Quinjet family:

HDMR5Xd.jpg

The Quinjet Family starring papa, mama, and baby quinjet. Lol

I have the first one but have yet to build it. I like the colors of the second version but am trying to find it on clearance. Heard some crazy stories of people finding it for half off and even as low as $19!!

So what's your opinion of the three? Which do you like best/least? Thanks for the pic too. It's nice to see all three together.

Ponn

Banned
Just a heads up was checking bricks and pieces with all the new sets and there are some great new pieces for sale. Anyone interested in steampunk stuff will want to check out the new ninjago set numbers. Also the Bat Cave is worth looking at. No unique parts like fig pieces worthwhile but they have big tan and grey plates, like 16 x 16 plates on there and they have the big flat pieces used in the helicarrier runway on there as well.

Damn that Quinjet is even SMALLER than i thought it was going to be :(

Well actually it's kinda adorable that way hmm may have to grab that set after all...

Oh and if those are actually yours Ghostmind, you DO like to keep your Lego's all shiny and polished eh? :p My Quinjet 1.0 must have accumulated a crap ton of dust over the years by now :(

Ryuuroden

Just a reminder that March 12 and 13th my Tower of Orthanc MOC will be on display at Brickworld Indianapolis at the fairgrounds.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
March 7 - 22. I'm really considering dropping the big bucks on an Ewok Village then,but I've never spent so much money on a single set, the thought of it is both scary and thrilling.

Thanks Sandcrawler and this years winter set are in my future it seems.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Now convinced I dont need a third Quinjet.

I'll still be getting the set, but I think i'll be selling the Quinjet or using it for parts.

lol Ghostmind, what a dick move there :p

anyway, i am glad i have NO desire for Sandcrawler anymore (well maybe 1% or so but that would never be enough) i still remember the last UCS set i got where i wasn't sure for a while but then got it regardless, the B-Wing! It's STILL sealed plus i have no room to display it now and don't really feel the urge either, so in the end i may just sell it off!

Too bad the aftermarket price for that one really didn't spike at ALL it seems so in the end i will have lost some money on that even :(

I gave up on UCS Star Wars stuff before I even started. I definitely wanted the OT stuff, it was just too overwhelming for me especially as the prices crept up on the larger sets such as Ewok Village and Sandcrawler. They just keep coming, and coming, and coming. I almost bit on Red 5 and Tie Fighter, but I have opted for the sub-$100 sets as a consolation.

The Quinjet family:

HDMR5Xd.jpg

I have only built the first Quinjet, but the other 2 look sleeker. The latest one may be smaller, but it doesn't lack in looks IMO. It may not be as great of a build, but I like them all.
Do they pass the swoosh test? I say they most likely would.

ghostmind

Damn that Quinjet is even SMALLER than i thought it was going to be :(

Well actually it's kinda adorable that way hmm may have to grab that set after all...

Oh and if those are actually yours Ghostmind, you DO like to keep your Lego's all shiny and polished eh? :p My Quinjet 1.0 must have accumulated a crap ton of dust over the years by now :(

LOL it's not my photo, as I don't have the Civil War set yet.

As far as my constant nemesis - dust - it is an ongoing struggle. I have my LEGO set up on display in three different locations in my house currently, and each area gets a different amount of dust. I would say my basement gets the least, but I rarely hang out down there, so its not the ideal place to display sets. My den gets the most, and that is where my UCS R2 and (currently) UCS B-Wing live, and I'm constantly dusting those.

Whats the swoosh test?

It applies to any flying vehicle, not just LEGO made ones. Strangely, when I search for "swooshable" first page is almost all LEGO related. Swoosh is the sound one makes when flying the vehicle around.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/lego-glossary/
"Swooshable
A quality that allows a LEGO creation to be picked up and flown around a room as the builder makes flying noises."

The test is basically if you would enjoy swooshing the ship around the room.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It applies to any flying vehicle, not just LEGO made ones. Strangely, when I search for "swooshable" first page is almost all LEGO related. Swoosh is the sound one makes when flying the vehicle around.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/lego-glossary/
"Swooshable
A quality that allows a LEGO creation to be picked up and flown around a room as the builder makes flying noises."

The test is basically if you would enjoy swooshing the ship around the room.

Does this also mean it doesnt fall appart if you move it fast? :D Thats happened what happened to me a couple of time

So GAF, I've been considering trying to make some of my LDD builds with real bricks, and with the imminent return of Robot Wars, I thought the House Robots would be a good place to start, but the only one that seems possible would be Dead Metal, which I have two different designs for. This is what he's meant to look like:
Dead-metal.gif

Which one looks better, the second attempt (Left) or the first (Right):

Would be nice to see you there.

I shall look into hotel rates for that Saturday night. And to see if I can convince my wife to come. Hey, why buy a LEGO set during double VIP when I can just go to a brick convention and meet another GAFfer? :)

I have only built the first Quinjet, but the other 2 look sleeker. The latest one may be smaller, but it doesn't lack in looks IMO. It may not be as great of a build, but I like them all.
Do they pass the swoosh test? I say they most likely would.

I need the new Quinjet, but 2.0 definitely swooshes well, and the build is better than 1.0. I still like the look of 1.0 over the new ones though, and it will forever hold a special place in my heart for being such a surprisingly awesome build.

I plan on grabbing a modular soon and right now it's between the Pet Shop or Parisian Restaurant. My heart says restaurant because it looks amazing but I feel like I should do pet shop because it's older and could retire soon. The pet shop just seems so bland to me, especially after the JANG review. What are some opinions between them?

Koren

I plan on grabbing a modular soon and right now it's between the Pet Shop or Parisian Restaurant. My heart says restaurant because it looks amazing but I feel like I should do pet shop because it's older and could retire soon. The pet shop just seems so bland to me, especially after the JANG review. What are some opinions between them?
Parisian Restaurant is really nice.

If you start buying modulars now, I guess you don't want to collect all of them, so is this really an issue if you miss Pet Shop?

TheFuzz

If you're buying one but may not collect them all: always Parisian Restaraunt.

If you're thinking of buying multiple: Pet Shop.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So GAF, I've been considering trying to make some of my LDD builds with real bricks, and with the imminent return of Robot Wars, I thought the House Robots would be a good place to start, but the only one that seems possible would be Dead Metal, which I have two different designs for. This is what he's meant to look like:
Dead-metal.gif

Second one by a huge margin.

Dead-metal.gif

Left looks cooler. Specifically the angles on the body with the alternating slope pieces and the angles on the side. The pincher angles are better too. The first attempt is boxy.

Parisian Restaurant is really nice.

If you start buying modulars now, I guess you don't want to collect all of them, so is this really an issue if you miss Pet Shop?

My girlfriend and I are at least trying to get what's available now. She just got the detectives office so I doubt she'll get another so soon. How long are they generally available for?

My girlfriend and I are at least trying to get what's available now. She just got the detectives office so I doubt she'll get another so soon. How long are they generally available for?

It's a total guess. Pet Shop has been around forever; I'm really surprised it's still on shelves.

While the restaurant is my favorite, it only got that by edging out the Pet Shop so imo you can't go wrong
unless you decide not to get the Pet Shop go get it so you don't regret it later!

Koren

There's really no rule, unfortunately (or Pet Shop wouldn't be available anymore... Town Hall has been released after Pet Shop and retired last year T_T )

They've even be rumors that two modulars would be retired this year, but not Pet Shop (so Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant, or Palace Cinema and Detective Office ?) Probably not true, but you can never be sure...

If you want to grab those available now, I'd buy Pet Shop but also Palace Cinema quickly, and I wouldn't stay away from Parisian Restaurant and Detective Office for too long...

TheFuzz

There's really no rule, unfortunately (or Pet Shop wouldn't be available anymore... Town Hall has been released after Pet Shop and retired last year T_T )

They've even be rumors that two modulars would be retired this year, but not Pet Shop (so Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant, or Palace Cinema and Detective Office ?) Probably not true, but you can never be sure...

If you want to grab those available now, I'd buy Pet Shop but also Palace Cinema quickly, and I wouldn't stay away from Parisian Restaurant and Detective Office for too long...

The manager at my local store mentioned it wasn't PS but hinted at it being PC and PR. I've brought him news before, so don't take it as absolute truth.

TheFuzz

Last year, a person at Lego customer service told me that Pet Shop will retired second half 2016 and Palace Cinema soon afterwards.

Despite contradicting my source, I'd bet on that, too. The only reason PS may be sticking around is that there aren't Nt parts in it not in wide-use at the moment. PR has that rare olive green color. Just a random guess though.

Boogiepop

Okay, so I know very little of the Lego scene, but after a deep love of the stuff in my childhood, I've actually gotten a few Star Wars sets recently via gifts (mostly). Currently have Kylo Ren's Shuttle, the new Tie Fighter, Rey's bike thing, and Poe's X-wing (which I just bought for myself). Which makes a pretty nice little set of Star Wars Lego models, I think, but I was thinking of maybe grabbing the Millennium Falcon too (and maaaaaaaaybe the First Order transport ship thing, though I'm iffy on how much I want that one), and my big question is... any chance I'd be able to manage to get that under MSRP? Not sure on if there's any particularly good sites to use, or if it's something I can expect to go on sale, or what, but yeah, I figured I'd ask if there was any hope of taking even a small bite out of that meaty price tag.

TheFuzz

Okay, so I know very little of the Lego scene, but after a deep love of the stuff in my childhood, I've actually gotten a few Star Wars sets recently via gifts (mostly). Currently have Kylo Ren's Shuttle, the new Tie Fighter, Rey's bike thing, and Poe's X-wing (which I just bought for myself). Which makes a pretty nice little set of Star Wars Lego models, I think, but I was thinking of maybe grabbing the Millennium Falcon too (and maaaaaaaaybe the First Order transport ship thing, though I'm iffy on how much I want that one), and my big question is... any chance I'd be able to manage to get that under MSRP? Not sure on if there's any particularly good sites to use, or if it's something I can expect to go on sale, or what, but yeah, I figured I'd ask if there was any hope of taking even a small bite out of that meaty price tag.
Brickseek.com, both of those have been ok discounts at local Walmart stores if you're in the US.

Something like the Millenium Falcon will be very hard to find on sale. First Order transport you may find on sale occasionally and especially close to the Christmas season.

Try camelcamelcamel.com or some other Amazon price watcher. Amazon will often match Walmart and Target sales.

If you buy from LEGO Shop @ Home online, join their VIP program. It's basically like getting 5% back in store credit. It also have double VIP points which is 10% back in store credit.

Just_one

Will get The detective's office with 2x rewards points . Just waiting to see if my job contract is renewed. The sets dont sell out right?? I'll probably know next week but im not sure (deadline is end of The month) My Only fear is that The detective's office will be sold Out...any chance of that happenning??

Made myself get this for £120 because I've been craving a huge Technic set since I saw the bucket excavator, and I know that I'd buy that thing and build it and just stare at it like "what the hell have I done?"

At least this looks kind of like something normal, haha.

PpJqoiq.jpg

It's my first Technic set in over 20 years.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Just a reminder that March 12 and 13th my Tower of Orthanc MOC will be on display at Brickworld Indianapolis at the fairgrounds.

I'm just a lurker in Lego-GAF, but my kiddo and I will be at Brickworld Indianapolis, probably both days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom