• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koren

Will get The detective's office with 2x rewards points . Just waiting to see if my job contract is renewed. The sets dont sell out right?? I'll probably know next week but im not sure (deadline is end of The month) My Only fear is that The detective's office will be sold Out...any chance of that happenning??
I wouldn't expect DO disappearing really soon, it's only a bit more than one year old, there's three modulars older than it (Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant).

I guess it *could* be out-of-stock during double-VIP, but I'm pretty sure you can still order OoS sets.

Via CM4Sci on Eurobricks

XJLDovX.png
Is that all of the minifigs?
because im going to need a redone Woody with that new Buzz

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Made myself get this for £120 because I've been craving a huge Technic set since I saw the bucket excavator, and I know that I'd buy that thing and build it and just stare at it like "what the hell have I done?"

At least this looks kind of like something normal, haha.

It's my first Technic set in over 20 years.

Awesome.
I keep seeing this on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $180, and despite the fact that I also haven't built a Technic set since I was a small child and don't really have any interest in them, I've been really tempted to buy it.

Ponn

Banned
Double VIP starts the 7th right? Got a small bricks and pieces order but waiting for double vip to order everything with free shipping.

I don't usually get paid till the 2nd week in a month, how fast do you all think the Mr. Freeze polybag will go next month? It's a neat polybag but unless people are getting the Batcave, which hasn't had a hot reception, it doesn't seem like a must get for collections.

Double VIP starts the 7th right? Got a small bricks and pieces order but waiting for double vip to order everything with free shipping.

I don't usually get paid till the 2nd week in a month, how fast do you all think the Mr. Freeze polybag will go next month? It's a neat polybag but unless people are getting the Batcave, which hasn't had a hot reception, it doesn't seem like a must get for collections.

Better to be safe than sorry I say.

Picked up Super Hero Airport Battle last night. Pretty cool set, but not spectacular.

The air traffic control tower is a pretty basic build. The only thing I learned from it is how the A-frame pieces like they introduced with the LEGO Movie stuff actually notch to the corners of angled wing pieces. That was a cool discovery.

The Quinjet Jr. was a nice little build, but felt lacking compared to its two older siblings. It does have a plethora of dark blue bow pieces in it, and the drop down guns are pretty cool.
It does come with a new piece type, which is a 2x2 angle piece. These are going to be very, very handy for MOCs once they start showing up in greater quantities.

The figures in the set are nice, but the leg prints, or more to the point lack of prints, makes half the figures look cheap. Thankfully, they didn't cheap out on the War Machine figure, as the print on him is fantastic.

The real star of the set, and the part I was most excited about, was Giant Man. It was so awesome making a massive mini figure. The nice thing is that for the most part, it is made of pretty standard and easy to find parts, so pulling off your own custom brick built big figs could be easily done. The only two knocks against it are that it looks empty without the stickers (I put them on, and it is leagues better then), and the entire back side of the figure is just exposed undersides of all the plates, so it doesn't look as good from all angles.

In the end, a very well made set, but definitely one to wait for a sale on. Now, if they put out Giant Man as his own set with some other tiny things for him to smash, then it would be fantastic!

Ponn

Banned
Better to be safe than sorry I say.

Unfortunately I have no choice but to wait and pray.

Picked up Super Hero Airport Battle last night. Pretty cool set, but not spectacular.

The air traffic control tower is a pretty basic build. The only thing I learned from it is how the A-frame pieces like they introduced with the LEGO Movie stuff actually notch to the corners of angled wing pieces. That was a cool discovery.

The Quinjet Jr. was a nice little build, but felt lacking compared to its two older siblings. It does have a plethora of dark blue bow pieces in it, and the drop down guns are pretty cool.
It does come with a new piece type, which is a 2x2 angle piece. These are going to be very, very handy for MOCs once they start showing up in greater quantities.

The figures in the set are nice, but the leg prints, or more to the point lack of prints, makes half the figures look cheap. Thankfully, they didn't cheap out on the War Machine figure, as the print on him is fantastic.

The real star of the set, and the part I was most excited about, was Giant Man. It was so awesome making a massive mini figure. The nice thing is that for the most part, it is made of pretty standard and easy to find parts, so pulling off your own custom brick built big figs could be easily done. The only two knocks against it are that it looks empty without the stickers (I put them on, and it is leagues better then), and the entire back side of the figure is just exposed undersides of all the plates, so it doesn't look as good from all angles.

In the end, a very well made set, but definitely one to wait for a sale on. Now, if they put out Giant Man as his own set with some other tiny things for him to smash, then it would be fantastic!

Was afraid of this. After the initial Giant Man hype died down I realized everything else in that set didn't look very great. I'm really surprised all the reviews have raved about it without pointing out how meh the rest of the set is.

Awesome.
I keep seeing this on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $180, and despite the fact that I also haven't built a Technic set since I was a small child and don't really have any interest in them, I've been really tempted to buy it.

It's totally crazy. Finished the first part of the build and I have got no idea what I'm holding in my hands but all the moving parts and the way it all comes together is just so satisfying.

Where would a LEGO designer even begin, creating something as elaborate as this?

Ponn

Banned
I saw Force Awakens yesterday finally. Yea yea, the day after its bluray release is announced in a month. Was inspired to build something so I popped in the OT and got to work.

This is really, really cool. i'm loving how its coming together. Halfway there, need to take a break and pop some pills and hopefully be able to finish it off tonight.

mojiimbo

Made myself get this for £120 because I've been craving a huge Technic set since I saw the bucket excavator, and I know that I'd buy that thing and build it and just stare at it like "what the hell have I done?"

I only own the blue remote control 4x4 hot rod(#41999) but I'm tempted to buy the Mercedes just for the B model.

42043b.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUn72mm64E4

I picked one up at legoland Florida in January.

I picked up my very first "I need this" Ninjago set this week (I have grabbed a few due to clearance but not out of real interest). I forget the name but it is the small $10 boxed entry level dragon. The whole line looks amazing and I really don't have much interest in the theme. The designers are killing it.

ghostmind

PpJqoiq.jpg

I've never owned a Technic set, but some of the most recent sets, like the Arocs and the Excavator are making it tempting.

Risible

Does he ever give bad reviews? Everything I've watched from him is positive.

He will call things out if he feels that are boring or drab. He was pretty critical of the Batcave if I remember. OTOH I don't think he wants to bite the hand that feeds too often.

TheFuzz

Build the main build of the Corner Deli tonight. Wow.. The skylight, sandwich, and decorative details are really surprising builds. Love this set. Great recommendation, Kip!

boltz

He will call things out if he feels that are boring or drab. He was pretty critical of the Batcave if I remember. OTOH I don't think he wants to bite the hand that feeds too often.

He does, but I don't usually link many of those.

Here's his review of the 2016 CITY Ferry:

http://youtu.be/k74Gsw8R8nI

I find that he generally looks for the positives in any given set, but he's not afraid to tell it like it is.

Yeah, he won't outright bash a set, but he will call out any deficiencies in it. I trust his reviews because they've for the most part lined up with my tastes.

Toxi

Banned
I actually don't get that impression. He doesn't get advance reviews or anything of the like, he often does videos positively comparing LEGO's competitors, he is often critical of fan-favorites like the Ghostbusters HQ, and he has outright trashed several sets in the past.

I actually don't get that impression. He doesn't get advance reviews or anything of the like, he often does videos positively comparing LEGO's competitors, he is often critical of fan-favorites like the Ghostbusters HQ, and he has outright trashed several sets in the past.

Yeah. Jang has made a point that he never gets sets for free, he buys everything himself. Unlike Brick Show who are completely sponsored. With all the viewers he has nowadays, I think the ads should cover most of his purchases anyway.

He did get the Scooby Doo sets, from Warner I believe, without asking. He specifically pointed that out, then went on to buy each of the sets so that he had his own for reviewing.

He is mostly positive about sets, but to be fair, most sets ARE rather good nowadays. He also strives to be kid friendly, so it wouldn't do to be the usual grumpy old AFOL "WORST. SET. EVER.". I trust his integrity completely.

AMUSIX

So I'm not too versed in LEGO, but I've been enjoying doing a few builds here and there. Started when I learned that my wife had never made a LEGO set, so I bought her the haunted house for one Christmas. Then she bought me the Tower Bridge, which was a very meditative build.

This year, she got me the Ferris Wheel, which was fun, and a bit different...but now I've just finished this guy:
OikbYuW.jpg

Wow, I am truly impressed by this one. Every step seemed to have some new, creative use of a brick...though there were a LOT of the little pegs that go in holes (not sure what they're called, but these things):
fGKP06W.png

Just made this one such an entertaining build, very different from the repetitive (in a good way) nature of Tower Bridge. But now I'm done...and guess I need to find another set to turn to. I did originally have a little idea of tracking down a minifig for each Marvel hero and have them all lined up on the Helicarrier deck, but then I saw the scale difference.

Now I just don't know what to go for...guess the Taj Mahal is out...

edit: oh, and stickers suck

Now I just don't know what to go for...guess the Taj Mahal is out...

I think you would enjoy Detective's Office or Parisian Restaurant, both are very fun builds with some nice creative moments that'll make you smile, the latter especially.

Finished the first part of the Arocs, like what even haha

Cc2np_XW4AEIYYW.jpg:large

Jang has a very pleasant voice too. He should get in to voice acting!

Does anyone watch the artifexcreation stop motion builds? They are so cool and great to have on in the background while building.

I have a question for someone who's built the Arocs. I've just finished the second part and I assume that I've done it right but it doesn't feel right.

Those cogs in the middle are not touching, but they're close enough that it feels like they should be. And the red cogs sometimes spin when other cogs do, and sometimes they don't.

I assume that both of these things are intended behaviour and it'll all come together later, but if I have messed up somehow I'd rather find out now than when it's too late to fix it, haha.

I've never owned a Technic set, but some of the most recent sets, like the Arocs and the Excavator are making it tempting.

Building this Arocs is not really making me want the excavator any less, unfortunately. If anything I want it more. Bloody LEGO.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Almost done putting together the Ninjago Raid Zeppelin. It is such a great set. Absolutely recommended.

ghostmind

xc9dPue.jpg

This seems to jive from the rumored list. Let me dig that up...

Snow Queen
Devil/Imp (Costume?)
Spooky Boy
Babysitter
Secret Agent
Banana Suit Guy
Mariachi Guitarist
Wildlife Photographer
Cyborg
Penguin Girl
Banana Guy
Rogue
Arabian Knight
Scalawag Pirate
Dog Show Judge
Female Kickboxer

These are looking great - can't wait to see what dog breed comes with the Dog Show Judge, and what animal is with the Wildlife Photographer.

Looks like another hit series.

Completely forgot about baby sitter and didn't put 2+2 together with the new baby mould. The baby will be the main attraction with the baby sitter as an accessory.

Completely surprised me on cyborg as I was thinking a guy cyborg and not a girl cyborg.

Gonna need multiples of the mariachi guy.

Great, Banana guy is gonna be just like Shark Guy. Easy to feel, but impossible to find. I hope they make 5 per box to meet demand.

Dat Assassin Creed guy! Print looks great and the new hood is great looking. Hope to see that mould come out in different colors and is a lot of sets.

Imp suit kid looks like a continuation of the Halloween CMF series. Those wings will go nicely with Nexo Knights bad guys.
Hope they do a Halloween ghost suit kid with a hood. Just like in South Park. "I'm a ghost"
Just kidding. For those that don't know, Cartman was wearing a KKK hood and cloak.

EDIT:
Ninja hood is from Ninjago. Is that the Wolfpack logo on him?

Totally getting three mariachis. Probably many others too.

The hood is questionable until get better photo. It has features similar to standard LEGO hood and the Ninjago ghost hoods, but it looks new to me.

every time i assume the minifigure series will lose steam and put out a wave of duds, the next wave is absolute fire and i feel dumb for doubting.

screw it. they're geniuses. they will never run out of ideas for adorable figs.

every time i assume the minifigure series will lose steam and put out a wave of duds, the next wave is absolute fire and i feel dumb for doubting.

screw it. they're geniuses. they will never run out of ideas for adorable figs.

The animal suit mascot possibilities alone are plentiful. They will end up repeating stuff as they already have, but they are usually nice variations. Guaranteed repeats are the evil/good versions and the guy/girl versions. We had the evil cyborg and now what I'm guessing is a good girl cyborg. So an evil girl cyborg will be made eventually.

Where's the guy figure skater?!?

We got our first Mighty Micros today, my boy couldn't decide which he wanted but went for Bane and Robin as we don't have a Bane figure.

Got to say I really like the minifigures and we have plenty of black legs if we want to make him full size.

Fun little sets will definitely pick up flash and captain Cold and the red skull one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom