• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Remember That Time Jimmy Kimmel Cried Over a Fuckin Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Jesus fuck is this where gaf is now? The average white person doesn't care when a little black kid is shot? That's a fucking racist lie.
I'm white. I didn't do a goddamn thing in 2016 to stop black kids from getting shot beyond voting and sharing some empty-ass social media shit. I couldn't tell you who was the last black kid killed in my city. I'm gonna try to play it a little more real in 2017. We need a higher bar for "giving a shit"

Feel free to disagree. Your internet access will continue unabated.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
TBF I think it's objectively probable that we don't really care that much about endangered animals. We definitely say we do.

Step further: we don't really care about our grandkids lives.

See: everything we do

Meh people who claim to objectively Care about climate change, and yet continue to eat red meat and have no shame or willingness to change their habits. Anytime I see a thread about red meat you so often see things like "you can take this from me, but I'll never stop eating my red meat". It's not much different than saying you'll never take away my coal. Red meat has a profound impact on the environment.

I'm white. I didn't do a goddamn thing in 2016 to stop black kids from getting shot beyond voting and sharing some empty-ass social media shit. I couldn't tell you who was the last black kid killed in my city. I'm gonna try to play it a little more real in 2017. We need a higher bar for "giving a shit"

Feel free to disagree

My nigga, that's all you need to do. Of course, you can do more but as long as you voted against the assholes promoting that crap then you are doing a service and helping things get changed.

Feel free to disagree

Spouting off bullshit like what you said doesn't help shit. Its obvuosly false and is meant only to be divisive.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My nigga, that's all you need to do. Of course, you can do more but as long as you voted against the assholes promoting that crap then you are doing a service and helping things get changed.

The majority of voting americans voted for Hilary Clinton.

Apathy

Spouting off bullshit like what you said doesn't help shit. Its obvuosly false and is meant only to be divisive.

MtZ9N.gif

man some people can't win around here.

I actually don't remember hearing about this.

But I'm not surprised. People treat their pets better than they do minorities in this country, so it's to be expected.

So someone writes some racist shit condemning white people and I cant get upset?

Whether you get upset is entirely your prerogative. Just making you look like a fool because you clearly aren't understanding the words because you've offended yourself into thinking they're speaking personally about you. Spoiler when people say "cops are racist" they're not saying all cops. Same with white people. Learn to read between the lines.

Us white people need to get some thicker skin for Chrissake.

D i Z

Shouldn't have opened with Kimmel and the Lion bit, OP. It's too easy a deflection for people when you need to ask them point blank why they have open hearts for exotic animal causes, but a turned back for their neighbors being slaughtered with less dignity. Plus animal people get their back up with that observation in general.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It's not. It just made you uncomfortable. It makes me uncomfortable too, but it's real. How many decades have we had to fix it? I'm just being honest here.

Also, for what it's worth, you are replying to a qualifier for the statement above it.

Whether you get upset is entirely your prerogative. Just making you look like a fool because you clearly aren't understanding the words because you've offended yourself into thinking they're speaking personally about you. Spoiler when people say "cops are racist" they're not saying all cops. Same with white people. Learn to read between the lines.

Us white people need to get some thicker skin for Chrissake.

Wtf? You nay want to go back and read how this started friend. He quite literally said the average white person.

Try to keep up.

I wasn't going to say anything before this thread was made but let's be clear: fuck lions. They are basically the laziest animals on the planet. They sleep for most of the day and they can't even be arsed to replicate faster than we illegally hunt them for sport.

Fuck you lions. You are everything wrong with the universe.

I think I might be a lion

please advise

Proelite

Hmm last time I cried over anything was the day after Trump's election.

Before that it was some moment in an animated movie.

Forkball

Its a monsterous thing to say and believe.
It's true for a lot of people. When a black person is shot by the police, people immediately start looking for justification. "Eric Garner had a criminal record, so he probably instigated it." "Trayvon Martin got suspended, so he was probably a trouble maker." If you ask people if they should have died for these indiscretions, they will reply, "No, BUT..."

If you aren't squeaky clean, people will find something and use it against you.

LotusHD

Banned
It's true for a lot of people. When a black person is shot by the police, people immediately start looking for justification. "Eric Garner had a criminal record, so he probably instigated it." "Trayvon Martin got suspended, so he was probably a trouble maker." If you ask people if they should have died for these indiscretions, they will reply, "No, BUT..."

If you aren't squeaky clean, people will find something and use it against you.

Yep...

LordKasual

Banned
You can do both so it's not much of a stretch to me.

Meh. If a Lion being shot brings Jimmy to tears, then i can't imagine how he would react to the very typical, everyday fate of one of the poor bastards that becomes a Lion's lunch. I'm not ragging on him though, as I said, I envy it.

But it certainly says volumes about society, how America has no issue broadcasting unarmed men being murdered by police on national television, yet lions and apes bring people to their knees.

I don't know how the volumes read, but there's something there. All i can think of is how dreadfully out of touch some people are.

The Kree

Banned
Cop gets shot by an armed citizen - a hundred thousand dollar reward for the shooter.

Unarmed citizen gets shot by a cop - a hundred thousand excuses for why they deserved it.

So you're not gonna say it?
Ok then.

Say what? Not everyone in the world cares about race issues, even the people it happens to? That needs to be said? That people have their own shit they're dealing with, even if it's as stupid as a Lion dying? I need to tell you that?

His post doesn't make any sense.

Sapientas

Say what? Not everyone in the world cares about race issues, even the people it happens to? That needs to be said? That people have their own shit they're dealing with, even if it's as stupid as a Lion dying? I need to tell you that?

His post doesn't make any sense.

I guess so, yeah, because you completely missed the discussion OP brought on and the entire point of the thread. Then you decided to throw some snark around.

Edit: I thinks this post illustrates perfectly what the OP was trying to convey.

it's not two different things, you are missing his point. Forget about anybody being mad at Jimmy Kimmel for a second, the crux is this: Jimmy Kimmel is a television late night host. His job is to be fairly safe and have broad appeal. So why is it safe to talk about a lion being unjustly killed in this country, but not okay to talk about black people being unjustly killed? Why is one a much more widely accepted viewpoint to have, while the other is divisive and uncomfortable? That's the point.

Poona

Because lions and many other animals are seen as innocent or just doing their own things, and they're in trouble the world over because of human enacted activity (poaching, habitat loss, etc.)

Humans as a whole are not really in trouble as lions are (apart from the self inflicted issues like damaging the planet for ourselves, etc), and they have more say on their positions in life due to human to human interaction, whereas other animals can't really speak human language to get their message clearly across.

I guess so, yeah, because you completely missed the discussion OP brought on and the entire point of the thread. Then you decided to throw some snark around.

No I didn't and there is no more snark than quite a few of the other posts. The discussion isn't anything new, he just used a really stupid example to try and argue it. Even though I'm half black and have no issue with anyone of any race or sexuality, I'm sure I was reported because you can only have these discussions skew one way.

1upsuper

I don't understand why a lot of people in this thread discuss empathy and caring as some sort of finite resource people have, and that they need to shift their empathy away from animals towards people. Care more about people and continue to care about animals. Life is precious and it's an absolute travesty that so many people care so little about people. But you do a disservice to yourself and to the potential within people to love more and care more whenever you imply that people need to care less about something that lives and breathes. People need to care more, period. And yes, do care more about people than other animals. That is how it should be. But fault people for not loving humans enough, not loving animals too much. I think that everyone's anger is justified. It is despicable that so many people lack empathy for their fellow humans, but the problem is not an improper allocation of empathy points, as if life were some RPG. The problem is that people need to get the hell over their racism and various phobias of real, living, breathing people who deserve love. You aren't at your maximum empathy capacity.

This thread is like one of those undergrad psychology experiments. "Would you willingly kill one person, in order to save a bus full of schoolkids?" "What is more valuable- the life of a single drug dealer or an entire species of animals?"

LordKasual

Banned
This thread is like one of those undergrad psychology experiments. "Would you willingly kill one person, in order to save a bus full of schoolkids?" "What is more valuable- the life of a single drug dealer or an entire species of animals?"

is there a real solution to this

because the answer always is obvious until they throw a family member in there

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
That's nice of you to say, but I'm getting so exhausted with seeing people around me spin in circles for Internet points but I never see shit change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom