• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

Thanks. I didn't think of the tattoos I cannot see. Now I am sort of excited. I'm just going to ask him so I can least know I tried.

My policy for asking strangers is to expect total rejection and hope for the best! I actually never gather the courage though.

Alrus

My boyfriend is almost the complete opposite of what I would have imagined my "ideal" to be. So I tend to find idealizing a future partner pointless and even counter productive.

And star tattoos are pretty gross (I usually like tattoos a lot, I have one after all :p ) but if the guy is really hot I can look past them :)

daripad

Do you ever wonder if people masturbate thinking about you?

Because I do.

Yes, but then I realize that it wouldn't happen yet xD

So since Mother's Day is coming up (In Mexico at least? idk) I've been reflecting over how much has changed since I came out to my Mom and she took it the wrong way, etc.

In what part of Mexico are you? Maybe that will make me comprehend your mother a bit better

KmA

So summer classes just started and wow, where did all these guys come from? They are all attractive and are all wearing tight clothes. And like. What am I suppose to do? Not look? I now understand how straight guys feel when summer comes around and all the ladies start wearing less clothing.

I guess I wasn't really expected to be bombarded with attractive people considering I just got out of high school last year and the guys there weren't exactly eye catching. But now in college, everywhere I look. Just stahp it guys. I have school to focus on :p

Ideal traits in a boyfriend, since this is the trending topic on gaygaf at moment (not like im looking tho)

- Average Height, though shorties are ok and cute. Very welcome!
- Dark Hair/Eyes (I already have enough blonde for the two of us, so gtfo)
- Skinny/Medium build. Don't need muscles. Not into burly bears.
- Age roughly same or younger. Older not so much :(
- Good attitude! Negative Nancy's are a killer.
- Sense of humor.. required. Racist humor is bonus.
- Video gaming not required but optionally awesome
- Intelligence is sexy, but a dumb guy who thinks they're smart? Now thats SEXY!
- Hates Horses, but likes all other animals. Im a cat lady, so please don't hate pussy
- Facial hair and hair in general should be a minimum
- Cuteness factor is a big plus. One thing that is cute is fine. But nothing cute is a deal breaker.

Replicant

I'm thinking of asking this guy out. It's been on my mind for quite sometime. I see him just about every morning on the bus going to the train station. He takes another bus at the station and I take the train into work. Sometimes on the bus I stand next to him and I have an urge to say hi. Unfortunately my gaydar doesn't work on Asian guys so I cannot tell if he is or isn't. Tomorrow I might try my luck I hope I can handle being shot down. He's my type. He has short hair he's about 5'5" lean. He does have tattoos on his arm but that's ok. I'm neither for or against it. I just need to find something to say to him after hi. I suppose my mind will think of something it's pretty good at doing that.

To quote one of the Luteces: "This will all end in tears"

NEVER EVER asks a stranger if they'd like to go out with you unless you meet them inside a gay establishment. It's one thing to strike up a light convo with them (even then they'd probably think you're weird). It's quite another to flatout asks them out.

MarkusRJR

NEVER EVER asks a stranger if they'd like to go out with you unless you meet them inside a gay establishment. It's one thing to strike up a light convo with them (even then they'd probably think you're weird). It's quite another to flatout asks them out.
Yup. Unless you already know the person (coworker, classmate, friend, etc) or see them at a place mainly consisting of gay people (aka gay clubs or lgbt groups at school) you really shouldn't straight up ask other guys (or girls if you're a lesbian) out in person. You'd be asking for a bad situation to happen.

Lordy some of yalll have long lists.
Tell me about it. All I want in a man is someone who is kind, honest, hygienic, and is attractive. When I say attractive I don't mean super model attractive, just someone who can turn me on. Anything else is just a bonus.

To be honest, I don't really know what I want. I don't look for any particular traits in men or women. I'm more a "go with the flow" kind of guy I guess. That's not to say I have no standards at all. I just don't like limiting myself to "types" or whatever.

CDX

I don't really have a list.

Wait now that I think about it:

has a penis
close to my age
and this one I've been willing to break and have broken but ideally I'd like someone within one inch of my height

but yeah I'm not really much of a list person.

mantidor

Omg I read neo's post wrong. YES to this, if its just to strike conversation it's all fine, but asking out is pretty freaking weird, even if someone is the most attractive perfect guy on the world, asking out of the blue to go out would be kind of freaky.

Just talk to him and try to see how it goes from there.

Meicyn

Gold Member
vTY2r0x.jpg

'sup brah

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Yup. Unless you already know the person (coworker, classmate, friend, etc) or see them at a place mainly consisting of gay people (aka gay clubs or lgbt groups at school) you really shouldn't straight up ask other guys (or girls if you're a lesbian) out in person. You'd be asking for a bad situation to happen.

Tell me about it. All I want in a man is someone who is kind, honest, hygienic, and is attractive. When I say attractive I don't mean super model attractive, just someone who can turn me on. Anything else is just a bonus.

Omg I read neo's post wrong. YES to this, if its just to strike conversation it's all fine, but asking out is pretty freaking weird, even if someone is the most attractive perfect guy on the world, asking out of the blue to go out would be kind of freaky.

Just talk to him and try to see how it goes from there.

Not sure how to strike up a conversation since he always has his headphones on at full volume. I want to buy him some headphones with less noise leakage.

I thought about putting a pen or dollar in my pocket and as he leaves the bus I will tap him on the shoulder and let him know he dropped it. Hopefully that breaks the ice.

MarkusRJR

Not sure how to strike up a conversation since he always has his headphones on at full volume. I want to buy him some headphones with less noise leakage.

I thought about putting a pen or dollar in my pocket and as he leaves the bus I will tap him on the shoulder and let him know he dropped it. Hopefully that breaks the ice.
No. No. No. If he has his headphones on he clearly doesn't want to talk to people. Plus, people who talk to strangers on the bus tend to come off as really creepy (in most cases).

Not trying to be rude or anything, but this is sounding more and more like a bad idea.

tumblr_mm8zf3raQS1r6kcgbo1_500.jpg

More of my type.
Delio, we have such similar tastes in men. <3

Dayum. I wish I had a body like that.

In what part of Mexico are you? Maybe that will make me comprehend your mother a bit better
We don't live in Mexico anymore. We live in Arizona and we moved in here like 6 years ago, shes from, err.. Sonora? Not really sure, we used to live in San Luis Rio Colorado, tho. I think that's were my parents spent most of their lives at.

Ty4on

I really don't think you can undo hundred of years of societal construct in just about 30 years. Moreover, you can't expect equality in academic fields without having society as a whole rebuilt for a more egalitarian view. I'm not saying it's easy and I have no idea how that would be done, but at least being aware of the bias that exists is a start.

Now, showing that Asian people have a 10% higher IQ doesn't imply causation on that ethnicity's predisposition to being more clever. Besides, it could very well be (and most likely is) due to education. I believe that the IQ number can be improved with training and there is a culture of hard-work and being studious inherited from the Confucius philosophy. I have no idea how that could be tested for, but I don't think that predisposition to be better at one subject is a gender or ethnicity trait (although I do acknowledge that some people are predisposed to it, regardless of their background).

I never stated that we had no social roles for men and women or that Asian people were smarter. It is possible to test if a race is different mentally, but I would guess also very hard to do in a big scale. I don't know of any, but there have probably been done some studies on adopted children. It's not a double blind though so you probably have to break all ethical rules to be certain if there is a difference.
My view is that even if there are differences that can be proven they're still not important because in regular day to day stuff we deal with individuals and we know there are smart, creative, passionate and funny people of all colors. Knowing the facts doesn't change them.

I don't know if I want to keep a debate that has little to do with homosexuality going, but I feel like properly stating my view on it.
When the show I linked to twice was aired here it caused a lot of debate. The view Harald Eia set out to challenge was summed up nicely in the start of this debate (it's in Norwegian) where he sits down with the host at first. I transcribed and translated the reason he did the shows:
Utgangspunktet mitt var noe som sosiologen Torkild Lynnstad skrev i en kronikk i Klassekampen. Han var på et forskningseminar om familiesosiologi hvor han la fram et sånn veletablert samfunnvitenskapligfunn nemlig at barn av skilte foreldre ble oftere skilt enn barn av ikkeskilte foreldre. Også la han fram noen mulige forklaringer. En mulig forklaring på det, ikke sant, kunne være at barna på en eller måte lærer, plukker opp et eller annet i familien som de tar med seg videre. En annen mulig forklaring er at de arver noen av personlighetstrekkene til foreldrene som da gjør dem sårbare for skilsmisser. Da han da løftet ansiktet opp fra manuset og så ut over forsamlingen så så han at noen satte å flirte, og noen til og med lo.
[...]
Også oppdaget jeg at disse perspektivene jo ikke fantes i lærerbøkene, det fantes ikke i offentlige utredninger.
Bolded bit just means "right" and should be removed if you try putting this in Google Translate.
Here's my own translation:
It started with a feature story in Klassekampen by the sociologist Torkild Lyngstad. He was on a seminar about sociology of the family and put forward a well documented finding that children with divorced parents were more likely to get divorced as adults than children with parents who weren't divorced. Then he put forth some possible explanations as to why this happened. One possible explanation was that the children somehow learned, picked it up from their family and took it with them. Another possible explanation was that the children inherited the traits that made them susceptible to getting divorced as an adult. When he looked at the audience he noticed that some chuckled and some were even laughing.
[...]
I also noticed that these views weren't represented in the textbooks and did not exist in official reports.
Italic part is poorly written. Basically saying that it came from their parents' behavior.

I feel this almost black and white view where children are considered blank slates and all problems are caused by their uprising/culture is narrow minded. While the show jumps to conclusions and has some poor interviews I love how he started this debate because the experts asked on TV about why children of smokers smoked never considered it could also have something to do with the genes. It also goes against a lot of science.

That almost arrogant view is what I disagree with and not that there are gender roles in our society. They cause problems like my brother who was lucky enough to have an open mind when he tried working in a nursing home and is now a nurse. I also have a cousin who struggled to find education that fitted her because the people around her (counselor and friends and family) suggested the health sector (nursing), but what she later found out was that blue collar work was what she really wanted. Just some random examples where society's norms made life harder and shows how far we still have to go.

Sorry if this post is very "split". I took long breaks writing this without proof reading as much as I probably should have :/

Ty4on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom