• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beje

Banned
And what's your diagnosis for someone that mostly listens to punk, rock, ska and everything in between?

My favorite groups are Rise Against and Thrice in English and Desakato, Kaotiko, Ska-P and Mürfila in Spanish, go give them a look

Delio

I do like rock/pop and alternative stuff the most. (Course I like shit like 1D and other Boybands so heh) James Blake I want him @_@

Hey guys, just dropping in to ask a really dumb question, but I have to get it off my back.

Is it in poor taste, or just stupid to confirm "I'm not gay or anything but..." in a professional environment while talking to your co-workers while they happen to be gay?

Just to shed a little context.

I work next to a gorgeous woman, straight out of France, who also happens to be a tom boyish lesbian, she is just amazing in every way...doesn't hesitate to share personal stories about her long time girlfriend and herself.. (Wish everyone was as open minded as the French.)

So basically, we were talking about the new Star Trek (She hasn't seen it yet) I was talking about the characters, I told her how handsome/hot and badass Khan was... (apparently the actor is also Sherlock Holmes in the British Series) She likes the actor, so she flipped out!

I was like yeah.. "not gay or anything but that dude is the shit!" I felt like an idiot for reassuring that I'm at least 80% hetero, not that I should've...but whatever.

Hey guys, just dropping in to ask a really dumb question, but I have to get it off my back.

Is it in poor taste, or just stupid to confirm "I'm not gay or anything but..." in a professional environment while talking to your co-workers while they happen to be gay?

I work next to a gorgeous woman, straight out of France, who also happens to be a tom boyish lesbian, she is just amazing in every way...doesn't hesitate to share personal stories about her long time girlfriend and herself.. (Wish everyone was as open minded as the French.)

So basically, we were talking about the new Star Trek (She hasn't seen it yet) I was talking about the characters, I told her how handsome/hot and badass Khan was... (apparently the actor is also Sherlock Holmes in the British Series) She likes the actor, so she flipped out!

I was like yeah.. "not gay or anything but that dude is the shit!" I felt like an idiot for reassuring that I'm at least 80% hetero, not that I should've...but whatever.

In that context, I don't think it was homophobic but rather obvious that you were trying to get with her.

In that context, I don't think it was homophobic but rather obvious that you were trying to get with her.

Yeah I am not hesitant to remind her every other day that her accent is the sexiest voice in the universe, I make her speak French sometimes, even though she gets annoyed and doesn't want to, I make her say stupid mundane things...She knows I dig her, but it's all just light humor and fun.

When she talks her mother tongue...It's pretty Goddamn amazing!

Ty4on

But I don't even like Lady Gaga or Britney Spears... or Madonna... or any of the pop-"divas"...
Does that mean I'm straight? D:

I don't like neither pop nor metal. I like progressive
trance/house
:'(

I feel alone and not just in the traditional sense, but also when I go deeper into the genre and somehow always ends up being alienated by breasts. Thankfully some agree that if you have to stare at something it should be beautiful Tokyo or something much closer to home.

I could go on forever with other stuff like house' big beats and liquid's warm and cuddly bass...

I know I can't write. This is just what happens when I get high on music :p

Alcoori

You clearly have not followed the recent debate about same-sex marriage in France.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/04/gay-marriage.html

But anyway, no worries, I don't think there was anything to be offended about.

Sai-kun

Banned
I don't like neither pop nor metal. I like progressive
trance/house
:'(

I feel alone and not just in the traditional sense, but also when I go deeper into the genre and somehow always ends up being alienated by breasts. Thankfully some agree that if you have to stare at something it should be beautiful Tokyo or something much closer to home.

I could go on forever with other stuff like house' big beats and liquid's warm and cuddly bass...

I know I can't write. This is just what happens when I get high on music :p

wow

i just fell in love with you. marry me! Above & Beyond are some of my favorite producers/DJs of all time. I've seen them a couple times now and it's fucking incredible every time. Tri-State is still one of my favorite albums of all time. When it came out it was pretty life-changing for me, music wise, because it was really the first time I'd ever given trance a listen.

Menaged

Straight as well. I listen to stuff like opeth, dream theatre, savatage and orphand land. On top of that I also love European football!

Ty4on

wow

i just fell in love with you. marry me! Above & Beyond are some of my favorite producers/DJs of all time. I've seen them a couple times now and it's fucking incredible every time. Tri-State is still one of my favorite albums of all time. When it came out it was pretty life-changing for me, music wise, because it was really the first time I'd ever given trance a listen.

But you like dubstep! *looks away*

But yeah, trance changed a lot for me music wise as well. I remember some years ago when I met a pretty big metal head in France who found it strange metal wasn't played 24/7 in Norway, but he made me jealous because I had no genre like that. I couldn't turn on genre X and listen to it, only individual songs. This was the first progressive song I listened to (from Wikipedia no less xD), but as the novelty wore off I wasn't able to search much further into the genre :/
Thankfully I found ASOT and the trance thread on GAF and now I just look for a rave where I can attend :p

I had listened to trance before, but again it was just individual songs and even if they had all the good stuff (lush synths, euphoric melodies, supersaw!) they also had a ton of other stuff mixed in...
Dunno if it's the same for you, but when I really started to find tracks I liked I was really surprised at how deep and emotional they could be. Trance IMO is also more than the sum of its parts. Take Tri-State, I love the tracks Tri-State, Alone Tonight, but what really makes the album awesome is how those songs are mixed and work together. I stole that from this review, but I really do agree!

I'm just rambling at this point so just listen through the cheesy voice and hear the heavenly songs in ASOT Yearmix 2011 :p

Edit:
I've seen them a couple times now and it's fucking incredible every time.
Didn't notice this at first. *Puppy eyes gif/smiley*... I feel so jealous now :(

Sai-kun

Banned
But you like dubstep! *looks away*

I totally agree BTW. I remember some years ago when I met a pretty big metal head in France who found it strange metal wasn't played 24/7 in Norway, but he made me jealous because I had no genre like that. I couldn't turn on genre X and listen to it, only individual songs. This was the first progressive song I listened to (from Wikipedia no less xD), but as the novelty wore off I wasn't able to search much further into the genre :/
Thankfully I found ASOT and the trance thread on GAF and now I just look for a rave where I can attend :p

When I was younger (like...13 or 14) I basically only listened to Radio Disney (top 40..for kids..), and 90's techno/happy hardcore, and just didn't really know where to go to find other music. When I was 14 and going off to high school, my dad got a new car, and it came with a year subscription to Sirius Radio (which was so rad for its time), and I remember flipping through every single channel and not really finding anything I liked, until I came across the Area 51 channel, which was their house/trance/electro channel, and it was fucking mind blowing at the time! And A&B's Alone Tonight, Can't Sleep, and Stealing Time were in constant rotation on the channel for awhile, and that's when I was like "okay, i should probably listen to this outside the radio", and ended up downloading/listening to the complete album.

I had listened to trance before, but again it was just individual songs and even if they had all the good stuff (lush synths, euphoric melodies, supersaw!) they also had a ton of other stuff mixed in...
Trance IMO is also more than the sum of its parts. Take Tri-State, I love the tracks Tri-State, Alone Tonight, but what really makes the album awesome is how those songs are mixed and work together. I stole that from this review, but I really do agree!

I'm just rambling at this point so just listen through the cheesy voice and hear the heavenly songs in ASOT Yearmix 2011 :p

I totally agree! I think why I like Tri-State more than Group Therapy still (although Group Therapy has given us AMAZING tracks like Alchemy, Thing Called Love, and Sun & Moon) is because of how well Tri-State just flows from track to track, like the flow of water down a river. I wasn't aware of any other albums that really did this at the time, since I usually just listened to singles/random tracks from whatever artists I liked. So to have amazing songs and have them come together in a complete package was something really new and awesome for me. I definitely have a higher appreciation for albums that are 'complete' IMO rather than just a collection of songs together with no flow.

A couple of my other favorite (electronic) albums that flow (off the top of my head):
Justice - Cross
SBTRKT - SBTRKT
Deadmau5 - For Lack of a Better Name (and Random Album Title!)
Gabriel & Dresden - Legends

But now I'm just gonna listen to A&B all day! (after I listen to your link! :) )

Didn't notice this at first. Puppy eyes gif/smiley... I feel so jealous now :(

First time I saw them, man...Spring of 2010. It was an all-evening event, DJ after DJ after DJ. I got there at 6 PM, some local DJs played, and I managed to get to the front row. Benny Benassi comes on around 11 PM and plays til 1 AM. I was crazy with anticipation at this point, and FINALLY, A&B come out and play for a solid 2 hours, and they were just incredible. My friends who I was there with left around midnight because they were tired, haha, so I didn't even have to think about them. It was just the music and the crowd. Nothing gets me higher than being a part of an awesome crowd at a good show. Whew.

p.s. dubstep rules don't hate! <3
p.p.s. haha oops rambling. I can't help it when I talk about music though. I could go on forever and ever.

Dany

Banned

Your musical compatibility with Sai-kun is SUPER
Music you have in common includes Ellie Goulding, How to Destroy Angels, James Blake, Above & Beyond and Marina & the Diamonds.

3AQmK.gif

BeesEight

I enjoy shoegaze, black shoegaze, dreampop, alternative, post-punk, indie, twee etc.

There are way more genres of music than I ever thought.

The police have already been notified. An officer has been dispatched to your location. You will be brought before the Tribunal as your crimes are read out before your sentencing is announced. You monster.

(It's fine. I'm more offended by your description of Cumberbatch. I love the guy but he just looks weird.)

I don't really care to say what I like because I like a wide variety of the same shit.

Yay Zomby.
You should listen to more Autechre tho

Anyways, I guess I practically never listen to anything that's not in some way classified as 'electronic music'. A long time ago I would listen to various forms of rock, and then it was 'post rock' for a while but I can't really go back to that genre anymore for some reason. Aside from electronic music I also seem to like the equally vague category of 'neoclassical' music (like Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Hildur Guðnadóttir etc.) Also some 'pop' like Kate Bush. And like Bach and Debussy and some other classical stuff I guess. For metal music I guess I can listen to Burzum too but as a genre it's still not really my thing. I wouldn't really say that my tastes are broad but I wouldn't consider them all that narrow either. My patience is pretty low for trying out stuff that I don't think is very worthwhile so I tend to stay pretty consistently with the genres that I consider 'good'. My preference is usually also for things that have a kind of 'enduring' quality where I can keep appreciating it after a prolonged period, like if I can't listen to it hundreds or thousands of times without getting bored then I don't really value it very highly.

RM8

Sigh. I will never find a cute guy who shares my taste in music.
I'm glad this is not something I care about because I legit have never met someone with music taste that matches mine, "cute guy" or otherwise. And that's NOT me implying I have impossibly good, sophisticated taste in music but actually the other way around - my taste in music is narrow, weird and probably objectively terrible, lol. Did you guys read that thread about a girl not eating anything that isn't ramen? Well, that's my taste in music, haha.

BTW this man is god regardless of anyone's taste.

mantidor

Yay Zomby.
You should listen to more Autechre tho

Anyways, I guess I practically never listen to anything that's not in some way classified as 'electronic music'. A long time ago I would listen to various forms of rock, and then it was 'post rock' for a while but I can't really go back to that genre anymore for some reason. Aside from electrnonic music I also seem to like the equally vague category of 'neoclassical' music (like Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Hildur Guðnadóttir etc.) Also some 'pop' like Kate Bush. And like Bach and Debussy and some other classical stuff I guess. For metal music I guess I can listen to Burzum too but as a genre it's still not really my thing. I wouldn't really say that my tastes are broad but I wouldn't consider them all that narrow either. My patience is pretty low for trying out stuff that I don't think is very worthwhile so I tend to stay pretty consistently with the genres that I consider 'good'. My preference is usually also for things that have a kind of 'enduring' quality where I can keep appreciating it after a prolonged period, like if I can't liste n to it hundreds or thousands of times without getting bored then I don't really value it very highly.

YES Dead Can Dance I'm not alone!

I listen mostly to all kinds of Metal except Heavy and Trash because they aren't my thing. I do have a guilty pleasure for electronic music like Royksopp and Pet Shop Boys. The rest of genres I listen to are medieval music in general, up to baroque music, the actual "classical" music, Mozart and Beethoven and the like not so much.

Alrus

Sigh. I will never find a cute guy who shares my taste in music.

Eh, it's really not that important in a relationship (at least not for me, on the contrary, finding someone who isn't into the same things as you allows you to discover new things and make him discover things you like, which is awesome). I've met a few people who would refuse to pursue a relationship with someone unless their music taste were perfectly in sync, not matter how well they got together with the other person. It always wierded me out.

Crayons

Banned
Eh, it's really not that important in a relationship (at least not for me, on the contrary, finding someone who isn't into the same things as you allows you to discover new things and make him discover things you like, which is awesome). I've met a few people who would refuse to pursue a relationship with someone unless their music taste were perfectly in sync, not matter how well they got together with the other person. It always wierded me out.
I love music about half as much as I love video games, which is still a lot.
I just want to cuddle while listening to good music. While taste in music isn't everything, if the guy likes what I like it adds at least two points on the scale.

Sai-kun

Banned
If a guy loved pink floyd and the beatles, I would date him immediatly.

Hey buddy what's up ;)

My roommate freshman year was a huge Floyd fan, and both of our favorite PF albums were Dark Side, so we just constantly listened to the whole thing every day.

Also in my travels, I found a $5 old copy of Abbey Road on vinyl which I had to purchase. Love that thing *_* even though it hasn't seen much play

Ty4on

p.p.s. haha oops rambling. I can't help it when I talk about music though. I could go on forever and ever.
I know. Would have been much longer had I not held back a bit and had I been better at writing a lot. The "research" has now crashed Flahs for the second time because it doesn't like 10+ YT videos open at the same time :p
Look at how much time I spent making this. Had I written half of what I had been thinking relevant (-ish) to this topic I would have broken the character limit.

I'm also super jelly that you have decent radio! Here it's either pop or pop from the last four decades. Sure there is some nice music like The Velt (nice analog remix for gear heads like me), house and a very long song title, but then there's one of those "let's write a totally random melody!" songs and rap :(

That first bit reminded me of when I was really young listening to 90s music (from 93). I found a DrBombay CD in our old home when I was there for whatever reason and I just had to play it in the car. That and Aqua was also the "cool music" my older sibling were listening to, the music I actually owned was quite a lot worse...

I don't really care to say what I like because I like a wide variety of the same shit.
That's a good way of putting it. My music taste is varied inside narrow spectrums... There's very little I hate, but there's not much that tingle that special bone.

I believed electronic music was bad in my youth and it's why I'll (try) never to call any music taste bad. Did discover some decent music, though in retrospect it was kinda electronic and looking at the Wikipedia page I notice he's the brother in law to the brothers in Orbital. Orbital made the best song ever made BTW.
If a guy loved pink floyd and the beatles, I would date him immediatly.
Another brick in the wall! Watched that movie when I was way too young :p
Have listened to a ton of Beatles as well. My parents love all music 70s and older :p

:(
vIht5CP.png

And goodnight. I was supposed to have fallen asleep an hour and twenty minutes ago -_-
Can't miss this again.
siste30.png

That's warm for May! I usually never take off my sweater apart from a couple of hot days, when I'm someplace warmer on vacation.

Sai-kun

Banned
wtf where do you live, Ty? :( :( :(

edit: weather sucks here in chicago as of late. It was a gorgeous 90 degress (32 for the celsius folks), and today it's been around 45 (7 celsius!) :( uuugghhhh

daripad

Hey buddy what's up ;)

My roommate freshman year was a huge Floyd fan, and both of our favorite PF albums were Dark Side, so we just constantly listened to the whole thing every day.

Also in my travels, I found a $5 old copy of Abbey Road on vinyl which I had to purchase. Love that thing *_* even though it hasn't seen much play

Who the flipping heck doesn't love pink floyd and the beatles?

choose me

Oh god, who do I choose?

Kun, Abbey Road is a masterpiece. My favorite thing from that album is the middle.
Dark Side is awesome but Atom Heart Mother, The Wall and The Division Bell are my favorites, though my favorite floyd song changes from Comfortably Numb to Us abd Them and viceversa depending on my mood.

Edit 1:
wtf where do you live, Ty? :( :( :(

edit: weather sucks here in chicago as of late. It was a gorgeous 90 degress (32 for the celsius folks), and today it's been around 45 (7 celsius!) :( uuugghhhh

We've been at 45°C for a week. It's too fucking hot and not even a drop of rain. I love cold weather but unfortunately I live here with this hot one, oh well.

Edit 2: Ok, Kun is for Ty and Dany is for me :p

Edit 3: Mexican soccer is getting interesting lately.

Edit 4: Why not more edits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom