• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

There's a guy named Big Dick Paul?

I think I might give this show a chance.
bhuHH.gif

mantidor

Talk about kids, I used to think I didn't want kids but the idea is growing on me, and I moved from maybe adopting to actually having one of my own, it's this weird feeling of wanting to "make" him or her, it's so dumb and irrational and I feel surprised about myself, but it is what it is.

I do wish I could do it with a significant other you know, I think science will take us there some day.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Isn't it a thriller? I hate thrillers and scary movies :V

It's a sort of conspiracy thriller, yes, but it's also got a lot of humor and some really fun characters. It's a thriller in the sense that the characters often find themselves in very tense and dangerous situations, but it's not scary at all.

There's a guy named Big Dick Paul?

His name is Paul, but one of the characters refers to him as Big Dick Paul (not quite sure why), in one episode.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've wanted kids for some time; an idealized fairy tale land has me and my imaginary partner adopting a little Spanish girl named Nieves. :(

RM8

I need to say, I -hate- Fast & Furious movies. A ton. But I make my friends watch crap only I like, so I shouldn't complain :p

But really, they blow. Ugh.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I need to say, I -hate- Fast & Furious movies. A ton. But I make my friends watch crap only I like, so I shouldn't complain :p

Hmph. I used to think they were dumb when the series first started, but after sitting through them all recently, I had a great time watching each one. F&F6 was so fun that it practically cured my depression for this afternoon.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I actually really want to watch them. Never seen them (I saw one a long time ago but I don't remember it). Fast 6 looks like so much fun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The difference is huge IMO.

Not really. One (inFAMOUS 2) is in-game engine and comic-book-y/cartoony. The other (inFAMOUS 2.5: Second Son) is CGI (unless it's been confirmed somewhere other than Twitter it isn't?) with no in-game engine shown.

Hmmm... Not really a good comparison.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Even the fifth one? For some reason I really, really disliked that film.

Especially the fifth. That's where they really made the most concerted effort to move away from the (dumb) street racing backbone into ridiculously fun action movie territory.

I laughed pretty hard at the concept of Tokyo Drift being "You two have stolen from and dishonored the yakuza! The only solution is clearly... A CAR RACE."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm guessing Sarah told him he has a big dick.
She is after all falling for (?) a pretty lifeless character. There must be a reason.

Or maybe Fi and Paul got a thang going? :O

Not really. One (inFAMOUS 2) is in-game engine and comic-book-y/cartoony. The other (inFAMOUS 2.5: Second Son) is CGI (unless it's been confirmed somewhere other than Twitter it isn't?) with no in-game engine shown.

Hmmm... Not really a good comparison.

The Second Son stuff is in engine.

RM8

It was soooooooo cheesy. And I know that's the point, and I LOVE cheesy action films! But it's probably the wrong kind of cheese for me :p I found it pretty tragic that I was bored to death during an action film.

_Isaac

It was soooooooo cheesy. And I know that's the point, and I LOVE cheesy action films! But it's probably the wrong kind of cheese for me :p I found it pretty tragic that I was bored to death during an action film.

The fifth one was incredibly boring except for that one action scene at the end. I saw it with people who were more interested in it than I was and who actually dragged me to watch it, and they fell asleep.

I also saw the sixth one. It was okay, although some stuff was a little annoying.

I would have kids if it wasn't like an 18+ year commitment (lol that's like the reason anyone doesn't want kids). I have too many plans of renouncing lay life at some point to even consider it a real option. Otherwise sure, I usually like kids and kids usually like me.

KiN0

Every time I imagine myself with kids I see myself being a single father. Like I can't even put an a fantasy husband/wife together.

Sai-kun

Banned
Hmph. I used to think they were dumb when the series first started, but after sitting through them all recently, I had a great time watching each one. F&F6 was so fun that it practically cured my depression for this afternoon.

oh my god dude i wish i could have seen this with you. F6 was INSANE and hilarious and amazing and my favorite thing of the year. holy shit it was good.

Sai-kun

Banned
I don't go to movies in order to try and take something away from it. I just enjoy them for the spectacle they are and take them at face value because nitpicking movies is so boring and lame and such a downer.

F6 was fucking ridiculous and so over the top. If you are in any way a fan of action, cars, and awful dialogue, you need to see it.

RM8

That's me too, I'm not an artsy, elitist, over-demanding movie enthusiast. My favorite films are stuff like Kung Fu Hustle, House of Fury and funny animated films like Monsters vs. Aliens, lol. So really, action overdosing and silly plots are not a turn down for me by any means, but I've been legit bored by stuff like Fast & Furious 5. Like _Isaac said, it was so BORING, ugh, it drags FOREVER and gets exciting at the very end.

Mr_Zombie

People around here will Falcon Punch me to death, but given the choice, I would have definitely chose to be straight. Not even because of kids (not a fan of kids) but because it's easier, period. I don't think it's "self-hate", lol, I love and accept who I am, I don't think it's any different than wishing I were born in a different
non-crappy
country.

To be honest, I don't think anyone, given the choice, would want to be gay; especially if you live in a religious country full of bigots that think of you as a second class citizen. It has nothing to do with self-hate. Being straight (or, simply saying, not being different than most of the population) is just so much easier. (not to mention, you don't have to wonder whether the guy you're admiring at the street is gay or not >_>)

And I agree with you on the empathy thing. Though in my case it wasn't being gay that make me more tolerant and empathic to other people but my stuttering. When you're a kid and you're laugh at, called names (even by adults) or being discriminated because of something you don't have any impact on, you really start to view things differently. That's why I'm surprised when I see gay people intelarant to other minorities or even other non-hetero people (bisexuals, feminine gays, transsexualists). If you know the shit they're going through from experience, why would you even want to make it eve worse for them?

It looks better, but it's truly not a huge leap by any means. Compare Cole's model with beanie guy, that's no PS1 to PS2 or PS2 to PS3 leap.

Don't expect that such a huge leap as the one in previous console generation will ever happen again. New consoles will certainly bring better image quality, better textures, more "realistic" worlds (especially NPCs and environments), physics and lighting, but overall those are just details. Dimnishing returns and all that:
aFKEttJ.png

---

I rewatched X-Men 2 yesterday (my laptop died ;~; and I'm waiting for a new PC, so in the meantime I'm watching and rewatching movies I intended to for months now). I must say that it really is one of the better (if not the best) comic book hero movies. I love the scene at Bobby's house when he's doing his "coming out" as a mutant. His mother's question, asked with this uncomfortable fake smile, "Have you tried... not being a mutant?" was spot-on.

Maledict

I'd disagree on the choosing to be gay thing - I've had exactly the same conversation with my bf.

Being straight would make me a different person than being me. I wouldn't *be* me - a straight version of me would be a different person. Despite everything I do quite like actually being me, and the thought of changing something so fundamental to me as a person is not something I'd want to do. It's not like changing my hair from blond to black - it would be like changing myself so I didn't like sci-fi and fantasy novels, or computer games, for example. Both ultimately core components of my personality - remove them and its a different person.

Bailey 87

To be honest, I don't think anyone, given the choice, would want to be gay; especially if you live in a religious country full of bigots that think of you as a second class citizen.

If I had a choice I still would want to be gay and it's upsetting to see so many people wishing they could be straight. If I said I wish I was white over black wouldn't people see that as self hate?

Don't let bigots make you wish you were something else because then they have won.

I also think it's the perfect time to be gay, when I'm older I can tell my grandchildren about the struggles and fights we had to go through to get acceptance, I could tell him a time when we weren't allowed to get married and see the shock on his face, I can feel the same way my grandad felt when he was in the midst of society changing and being more accepting to black people.

If I had the choice to be white, straight and middle class over the black, gay, working class that I am now I know which one I would pick with no hesitation. We are changing society and you should be proud of that.

If I had a choice I still would want to be gay and it's upsetting to see so many people wishing they could be straight. If I said I wish I was white over black wouldn't people see that as self hate?

Don't let bigots make you wish you were something else because then they have won.

I also think it's the perfect time to be gay, when I'm older I can tell my grandchildren about the struggles and fights we had to go through to get acceptance, I could tell him a time when we weren't allowed to get married and see the shock on his face, I can feel the same way my grandad felt when he was in the midst of society changing and being more accepting to black people.

If I had the choice to be white, straight and middle class over the black, gay, working class that I am now I know which one I would pick with no hesitation. We are changing society and you should be proud of that.

Marvelous post. I feel the exact same way.

Mr_Zombie

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate myself. If someone would give me the choice now I wouldn't want to change it, because that would affect who I am: how I think, how I act, how I view other people. I would be a completely different person then and I wouldn't want that because I like myself as I am now. It's just that, and I'm thinking loudly here, living without all that additional baggage would be easier.

For example, you're talking about marriages and grandchildren and the fight for acceptance, but where I live we won't even get civil union anytime soon (even though our current government is formed by a so-called "liberal" party; the next election will probably be won by their main opponents, fully conservative rightwing party, which members don't even hold back with publicly calling gays "faggots", "deviants", "freaks that should be cured" etc.); things like marriage is like a far dream. Children adoption is something that I doubt anyone here even think is possible given current situation (and I would love to have a kid one day, even though they are little self-centered monsters that will ruin your life ;)).

But maybe you're right and I'm simply viewing things through black-tinted glasses right now. The society is changing and we are a part of those changes, we're making a history.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

You know whats up. May science bless you.

Trigger

Preach.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I've never had any trouble with bigotry; sure, some random slurs and insults have been lobbed my way, but straight people deal with this too.

Personally, when I wish to have been born straight, that stems from alienation from the gay community more than anything else. If absolutely everything else were the same - my depression, weight problems, financial woes, etc - except my sexual orientation, life would be better. I would be happier because the people I "identify" with wouldn't treat me like a leper, like a joke, like something to be avoided.

That's the shit that hurts: being rejected as a person by the ones who are always crying about equality and acceptance.

I've never had any trouble with bigotry; sure, some random slurs and insults have been lobbed my way, but straight people deal with this too.

Personally, when I wish to have been born straight, that stems from alienation from the gay community more than anything else. If absolutely everything else were the same - my depression, weight problems, financial woes, etc - except my sexual orientation, life would be better. I would be happier because the people I "identify" with wouldn't treat me like a leper, like a joke, like something to be avoided.

That's the shit that hurts: being rejected as a person by the ones who are always crying about equality and acceptance.

Not to downplay your woes, Cosmic Bus, but alienation happens to everyone.

If you were straight, you might be happier. But you might also be posting in the Dating-Age threads complaining about the lack of attention from women.

Trigger

The members of the gay community who have been a douche to you are a small fraction of the community as a whole. Wishing to be straight because of them is a bit silly.

daripad

Not to downplay your woes, Cosmic Bus, but alienation happens to everyone.

If you were straight, you might be happier. But you might also be posting in the Dating-Age threads complaining about the lack of attention from women.
Women are way easier to date. You just need to pay attention to their hints and you'll be fine.
I can't say the same for gay men :'(

Eh.

I'm far too self-centered to wish I was born as someone else.

The only things I wanna change about myself are things that I'm working to change right now(mostly laziness).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom